Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2014, 18:18   #3046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Desert fox, I took the canopy off for a few months as I have a half cabin top.
When I tried to put it back I found it had shrunk a lot.
I had to have a few parts extended and the rest just yanked by 4 people to stretch it over the frame.
Now the hood leaks like hell due to being stretched back to its original size.

Prasanverma those fenders are really nice. Where did you get them.
That's disappointing. The one unique thing that appealed to me was the wind in the hair experience of my old jeep. As mentioned in the official review the windscreen does not fall down and if there are such problems with the soft top that makes the experience impossible.

Can anyone comment how effective is the factory fitted AC by mahindra with the soft top?
Old 15th August 2014, 19:46   #3047
KMT
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

I have made a 2 seat cabin that has a permanent canvas panel behind the seats and a half cabin roof that is easy to remove.
I have an aftermarket ac and it works well enough. The soft top holds in cold air.
The irritating part of the company soft top is that it lets in exhaust gas and dust.

The wind in the hair open top exp is great.
Old 15th August 2014, 20:46   #3048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post

Thanks. My local dealer is not being able to arrange a test drive. I wanted to ask how heavy is the clutch in the thar. Is it comparable to innova or fortuner or maybe duster? I still be buying thar mainly as a city runabout and occasional mud plugging hence the question.
Since I own a Duster 110ps, the clutch of the thar is as good as the duster or may be a bit softer. Since the driving position of the thar is much higher, it feels a tad softer.
Regarding niggles, I use my thar as a daily ride apart from my photographic trips once every two months and my thar is completely free of all so called problems. Just refill and drive.
Saying this I should also mention, I don't go for otr's just for the sake of it. Is there any car sold in India, factory designed to be taken to otr's? None I guess. Its only when we start adding and designing without basic knowledge on mechanical dynamics, problems crop up.
NB. I had my share of problems and leakages in the starting month but I have solved it outside the service centre.
himadrimondal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 22:03   #3049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Since I own a Duster 110ps, the clutch of the thar is as good as the duster or may be a bit softer. Since the driving position of the thar is much higher, it feels a tad softer.
Thanks for the help. The Thar looks to be a good buy although the CRDE version at 8L+ OTR does feel a little steep but it has no outright competition. If your thar is the AC variant can you please comment on the AC performance?
Old 15th August 2014, 23:56   #3050
BHPian

The thar ac is very good. Since the soft top has a few openings at the back, the ac does not chill but works pretty fine, even summers. I had fixed two elastic belts on the rear of the soft top, the part that opens from behind. This stops the air from the back getting inside when the jeep moves.
Old 16th August 2014, 15:28   #3051
BHPian

Hi himadrimondal - thanks and will look at other smaller audio options for a better fit without any big alterations. BTW, it is great to hear that you go on photography trips, is that around Kolkata ?

Are there anyone from Chennai doing these kind of nature photography trips to nearby areas in their Thar, I would like to join with mine as I enjoy photography

Hi BD sir - Noted and thanks for your advise on the sound bar - I have another question for you - I have read somewhere that you have suggested JK ELANZA 245-75-R16 tyres for Thar. Since JK is not a very expensive option, I can probably think of changing the OE tyres to JK immediately on delivery with minimal spend. Hope with JK, the tyre would protrude a little bit more than OE (better looks !) and also the GC will increase a bit. Other than this, is there any benefit on JK considering that most of my drive will be on road. Also, hope it will be a direct fit and will not hit the fenders on bumps and wheel wells on turns etc., Please guide me as I would like to have a little bigger tyres than OE, but not able to spend too much at this point in time. Thanks

Swami
Old 16th August 2014, 17:53   #3052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nan View Post
@ruchirtnt,
The advantages of going for a thar would be
1. Lower depreciation than any of the other cars you have considered. The second hand market prices are quite high (atleast in bangalore). If it doesnt work for you, you can sell it with a very small loss.
2. And Jeeps age well, you wouldn't get bored with it looks over time.
3. Its an awesome platform for customization, you can add stuff remove stuff, change it if you dont like it.. maybe even get a custom paint job.. and the thar will be none the worse for it. I seriously doubt if you could play around with any other vehicle in the market in a similar way without having warranty or reliability issues.

You have multiple threads on this forum about experiences of various thar owners, i think thats more than enough to decide if you really want one.
There are so many aftermarket add ons, your ride would be one of a kind.
On the otherhand, the service centres aren't really good, you need to be prepared for spending some time sorting out issues.

My other car is also a fiesta, and i am glad i still have it. Any more than 2 people, the stock thar isnt a great bet. And NVH levels, ride and handling are not really comparable. But strangely the thar is a lot of fun, it really is macho and remember that you cant complain about small niggling issues (handbrake and door rattles). NO ONE messes with you on the road, its good on the highway with adequate power and it is reasonably easy to drive since you get a good view up front and sit high up.
The Q3 and endeavour are very different vehicles, you just cant compare them with the thar.
Thanks a_nan

Sorry I read it after such a long time. Thanks again for such a reasoning. I have been moving back nd forth but not deciding on one. I just wanted to buy a third vehicle for my house until I move out of the place and has to take one with me. I own a fiesta and ecosport hence a genuine love for endeavour triggered. I even had a look at storme but they both did not appeal me a lot. After reading through ur post my love for thar is growing back on me again. The only problem is that everybody in my family is against my decision
Old 17th August 2014, 13:04   #3053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheepgupta View Post

If this is their pre-sales, what about post sales. I am pretty sure, I am not going to be able to handle it this "We dont give a damn" attitude. I like my cars to be in perfect shape and get them serviced at authorized centers. Not sure how that would work with Thar (if I still buy it after all this experience). All in all, in this modern age, it is a very frustrating and I guess a little sad how some companies refuse to acknowledge the basics!
I also riding the same thought process for owing a thar. I paid a visit to the lucknow dealership a month back and they offered a test ride on a booked black thar but i declined due to lack of family support to own one. Now since the thar bug is active again i inquired again and they recited the same story that thar need no test rides and people buy it the way as if they are buying a mobile.

Iam interested in a red thar and the booking amount is 50000
Old 17th August 2014, 22:51   #3054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Thanks. My local dealer is not being able to arrange a test drive. I wanted to ask how heavy is the clutch in the thar. Is it comparable to innova or fortuner or maybe duster? I still be buying thar mainly as a city runabout and occasional mud plugging hence the question.
I cant make a complaint about the clutch really. Just like a Bolero I would say which I sometimes drove for five years.

Now at the other end of the spectrum the faboulous short throw clutch of a Toyota Etios Liva.

But this is not an apple to apple comparision and not a major reason to lead towards a purchase decision.

For someone who drives an I 10 or a Maruti swift in the city a Thar cannot be a direct substitute. It is a different vehicle. A Jeep clone not a hatchback.

But to sum up - it is not a city drive vehicle at all. Highly impractical in its original form and very crude.

As for the canopy - The local Mahindra team must tolerate all my tantrums for their business. I have sold over a dozen Thars on recommendations and to people who want to imitate my lifestyle. And I am a friend of their CEO now.

Besides dozens of Scorpios among my friends and political following.

So when the zip didnt work they rushed me in a new canopy. Now the velcro doesnt work on this one it is so thin.

As it is it will be discarded on August 22 when the hard top with opening panels goes up on my Thar.

Last edited by desertfox : 17th August 2014 at 22:52.
Old 18th August 2014, 08:52   #3055
BHPian

Hi, can you please post a picture of this elastic belt work around

swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
The thar ac is very good. Since the soft top has a few openings at the back, the ac does not chill but works pretty fine, even summers. I had fixed two elastic belts on the rear of the soft top, the part that opens from behind. This stops the air from the back getting inside when the jeep moves.
Old 18th August 2014, 10:05   #3056

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Prasan that looks great! Congrats!

Could you post a few more pics and give more info on the Alloys and the plastic fenders?

Where did you source the fenders from? They look good quality wise as well as shape.
Dear Navpreet, I bought the fenders and Alloy from Sterling Mahindra Gurgaon. Could be bit expensive than outside, but somehow I liked the standard accessories and went for almost everything except rolling cage (as I am planning to go for hard top soon). Also, front bull bar was out of stock, will get this week only.

Planning to put two Hella fog lamps. Any suggestions about which model is best and from where to buy.

Also, soft top flutters like anything as soon as I cross 80? any suggestions.

Cheers
Prasan
prasanverma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 10:42   #3057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanverma View Post
Also, soft top flutters like anything as soon as I cross 80? any suggestions.
Slow down!

Well, opening the rear section and keeping it rolled up reduces the fluttering to some extent, but you will still have the sides flapping their way to glory. I'd say go get that Hard Top soon!
Old 18th August 2014, 11:01   #3058
Senior - BHPian

I started my home work to own a Thar. Today called a Yokohama tyre dealer and he suggested following exchange prices:

255/65 R16 Geolandar AT-S - Rs. 16000
275/65 R16 Geolandar AT-S - Rs. 30000

Is the suggested price Ok?
Old 18th August 2014, 12:28   #3059
Senior - BHPian

Hey friends,
I am putting my logical reasoning in perspective to convince my family for owning a Thar instead of Endeavor or any 20L+ range car or SUV.

1. It will not raise eyebrows in our family or social circle since I bought a Titanium Ecosport less than a year back and has Fiesta as well
2. It will be our third vehicle but will be used as second carrier whenever our family of six adults and 2 children goes together
3. It has a upper hand of off road capability and buying a 2500cc engine in around 8L is not a bad bet where all such vehicles are somewhere 15L in my knowledge
4. The resale value as observed for a 1- 2 year old Thar is only depreciated by around 12 -15% which is quite acceptable in case I have to sell it off on dearth of passion
5. Strong road presence and drool factor at this price is Priceless
Old 18th August 2014, 12:59   #3060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Hi himadrimondal - thanks and will look at other smaller audio options for a better fit without any big alterations. BTW, it is great to hear that you go on photography trips, is that around Kolkata ?
Most of my birding trips are in Sikkim, around 20 hrs drive from kolkata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanverma View Post
Also, soft top flutters like anything as soon as I cross 80? any suggestions.Prasan
How are you rear seats placed?, stock ones or the front facing ones?.
I had this flutter when the soft top used to hit the back rest of the side facing seats. After changing to front facing ones, have fixed a metal plate at the sides for safety of my child. No back rest to hit on, no flutter. I have further added a foam wrapped in a cover between the soft top and the metal plate. With no play for the soft top, there is no flapping sounds even at 100kms/hr. Wind noise is audible though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Hi, can you please post a picture of this elastic belt work around. swami
This has not only stopped back flow of air, the flutter at the rear has also stopped. There are two like these, the other one hidden behind the wheel. Have also changed the cheap quality velcros to longer better quality ones. Everything is tight and smart fit and not those dangling types.
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-thar-back-belt.jpg

Last edited by himadrimondal : 18th August 2014 at 13:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks