Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2014, 12:41   #2941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinmishra View Post

Hi obaidhakim.
Thanks for the congratulatory message. I'm super kicked about the Jeep right now.
And thats a nice looking bumper.
Any particular reason why you chose this one over the one available at Prad @ Banglore?
https://www.facebook.com/Prad4x4
I saw that white thar in Sikkim on my previous trip. Honestly my thar bumper, from mahindra expidition looks far better than this Prad. Its built to mount the winch. Mahindra has all these accessories which are built to fit the thar perfectly.
Old 10th March 2014, 14:23   #2942
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Dear Obaidhakim - you can certainly set the suspension height but you must lift both the front wheels off the ground by supporting the frame on stands / lift. The torsion bar must be in "no load" condition when you do this work. If you do it with the vehicle on the ground, you will never get correct result. By the way, your tires are just too big and heavy for this application.
DB sir appreciate the prompt reply. I did exactly as you said (did it myself). But got the setting too high, the ride is very bumpy. Finally decided to go to the ASC and get it sorted.

Quote:
Your Thar looks cool with the tyres! But after seeing this, I'm not sure if the torsion bar setting will completely solve your problem... I think the tyres are too big. But I'm sure with the right setting it will make some difference. I think removing the fenders will also help..
Thanks for the feedback as well as the PM. I did visit NBS today and spoke to Mr. Sudhir. He was really helpful. Promised that he would get the ride height back to company specs. I did consider losing the fender extensions for a bit, but waiting for the jeep to be back from NBS to take that call.

Quote:
I'm no expert here, but if you're using the 245/75/r16 maxxis tyres then your torsion bar needs to be set a little higher. Your jeep stance should be at least flat on both ends and not leaning forward in any case. I'm using the same tyres although I changed to alloys due to the tyre touching on the inside during full turns.

This isn't an exceptionally big size considering that its been used on the Mahindra Getaway as stock size, however it does need a fair amount of tweaking before you can get peace with the setup. Considering that this is the only closest size available in MT tread you got no choice just like buying the thar because of no choice in that category.

The one thing you can do is remove the fibre fender and spend another 15-20k probably to fit the wrangler type 6inch fenders which fit along the fender bodyline and will not break easily. Or choose to leave it without fenders and have fun throwing mud on everyone around you as well on yourself. You may be okay with the latter since you're still using stock rims and the tyres won't be out of the fenders too much.

Good luck!
Amolpol, i totally agree with you on the tyre selection. with few options available in the size as i surely dint want alloys on my jeep, Maxxis was the best choice. i still love them. Yes i am considering to lose the fender extensions incase the issue persists. Thanks buddy! BTW my Thar is on its way to be a twin of yours!

Quote:
Hi obaidhakim.
Thanks for the congratulatory message. I'm super kicked about the Jeep right now.
And thats a nice looking bumper.
Any particular reason why you chose this one over the one available at Prad @ Banglore?
https://www.facebook.com/Prad4x4
In my personal opinion, i like the looks of viji's bumper any day! Also if you look closely the winch integration in Viji's design is far better than that of prad's.
The approach angles also are higher with Viji's bumper. Prad's bumper sure looks cool but i personally feel Viji's is more utility based than aesthetic. Also don't like the integrated small fog lamps in Prad's bumper. Don't look rugged enough.
Old 12th March 2014, 20:03   #2943
BHPian

I have been late in sharing my experience around Thar, have been busy in work and other issues lately.
Jeeps had attracted me since childhood and the launch of Thar had given me a tremendous motivation to own one ASAP. Booked on in my hometown against an advance of 25,000 in January this year. As I am in the auto sector, have a few ex M&M folks as colleagues. Got their feedback and also spoke with a few M&M insiders. Most people advised me to wait as according to them a new version was in the pipeline with improved interior and safety features(to which I agree that there is a big scope for). Finally to confirm, I wrote to VP(Service), M&M. Please take note of the response -

Dear Mr. Bhatt,

Thank you for your interest in THAR CRDe. We value your feedback and your feedback is in line with others. In our continuous endeavor to improve the product we shall definitely look into enhancing the safety of the product. As a matter of policy we do not indicate our plans of new launches. Hence it would be difficult for us to tell when you can buy this specific product with your desired wish list. All we can say it will take time and won’t be available in near future.

However, we do have good news for you in terms of hard top. We do have plans to make hard top available through our accessories channel. Please do watch Mahindra pavilion in Auto expo 2014.

Availability through channel is a matter of time depending upon the feedback we get from Auto expo.

Thanks and Regards,

Nisha Goradia
Customer Care- Auto Division
022-28849032

Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2014 2:15 PM
To: AFS-President; GUPTA SANJOY
Cc: CUSTOMERCARE
Subject: Product Expectation Gap : Mahindra Thar

Dear Mr Sanjoy

I have always been interested in the Classic & the MM 540. The Thar CRDe has logically captured my attention as a worthy upgrade to both these cult vehicles. There are two important issues preventing me(and, I believe, plethora of other urban lifestyle centric customers) from going ahead and buying the Thar CRDe –
1. Lack of a hardtop, rendering the Thar almost incapable of being used as a daily commute, vehicle & luggage safety being compromised due to the soft top
2. Lack of basic safety features such as ABS, EBD & front airbags which come as standard fitment in most passenger cars/SUVs.
We as the Mahindra Thar enthusiasts can live with and even appreciate the bare basic interior comforts being provided even in the top end version of the vehicle, but the above issues are hard to ignore.
There have been rumors of a new Thar being launched this year which would be addressing at least a few of these concerns. My humble request would be that if such a launch is in the pipeline in near future, we as customers be made aware so we can make an informed choice about the car we all aspire to own.

Thanks & regards

Post the response, some how convinced myself to hold my dream of owning a Jeep. Thar would be my 2nd car. Cancelled my booking and took delivery of XUV5OO W4 last friday.
Old 20th March 2014, 13:22   #2944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
The problem is with left caster adjustment. I had same problem however I realised it when I installed the alloys. It was at 5000 km, so luckily no tyre uneven wear out.

After installing alloys I observed left pull so rushed immediately to known alignment guy and fixed it. You will have to approach the right/friendly shop, many alignment shops do not do this job as it is time consuming and charges are negligible.

I do not know the technical details or implication of this however I am attaching before and after figures of alignment report. Hope it will help you.
Thank you Thar4X4! It was the camber settings that were way off causing the tyres to look slanted inward on the bottom, and outward on the top when viewed from the front of the vehicle. As a result there was more pressure on the outer tyre surface of the front tyres causing uneven wear there. I had the camber settings altered and the tyres rotated.

The settings were originally so way off that you could notice it just by observing from the front. I see the same for many other Thars on the road. Last evening I was at India Garage, St. Marks Road to pick up engine oil from their service center when I noticed that a brand new Thar waiting for delivery had the same issue. The owner was not at the scene at the time else I would have informed him of the issue. This is certainly another checklist item on the Thar PDI list and on the to-do-list after taking delivery if not caught during PDI.

Heck, the official Mahindra Thar FaceBook page last month even posted a frontal photo of a Thar with aftermarket tyres with visibly insanely-off Camber settings.

My question is why can't Mahindra ensure the right camber/caster settings before the product leaves the manufacturing facility? Further, why can't the ASC during the first three (free) services catch this issue? The ASC's just don't care unless owners bring up the issue.

I have stopped going to ASC's. I just had the engine oil changed myself a little ahead of schedule after visually checking the oil quality. At least I know the oil is new and changed. I plan to do the same for the manual transmission and axle oils as and when due.
ComSub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 14:34   #2945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSub View Post

My question is why can't Mahindra ensure the right camber/caster settings before the product leaves the manufacturing facility? Further, why can't the ASC during the first three (free) services catch this issue? The ASC's just don't care unless owners bring up the issue.

I have stopped going to ASC's. I just had the engine oil changed myself a little ahead of schedule after visually checking the oil quality. At least I know the oil is new and changed. I plan to do the same for the manual transmission and axle oils as and when due.
Good to know you have sorted your camber issue. I had it, just like you, after the alloy change. Took it to the ASC to get it done.
Regarding ASC, they are much like our political leaders. They want our votes/ratings (how much do you give out of 10) but are not interested in us or our cars. They will do only what's told, that too not properly.
I too am thinking of discontinuing the ACS, but worried about the parts. Mahindra does not have any counter sale. The engine, gear, differential oils recommend by mahindra are not available outside. Can you give me the substitutes or shall I go with what's used in a Bolero?

Last edited by himadrimondal : 20th March 2014 at 14:39.
Old 20th March 2014, 21:22   #2946

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Good to know you have sorted your camber issue. I had it, just like you, after the alloy change. Took it to the ASC to get it done.
Regarding ASC, they are much like our political leaders. They want our votes/ratings (how much do you give out of 10) but are not interested in us or our cars. They will do only what's told, that too not properly.
I too am thinking of discontinuing the ACS, but worried about the parts. Mahindra does not have any counter sale. The engine, gear, differential oils recommend by mahindra are not available outside. Can you give me the substitutes or shall I go with what's used in a Bolero?
True! ASC's keep mum unless we tell them specifically to work on an issue. All you get for a "service" is a full body car wash and any specific problems you tell them to check on. Besides, from my experience of owning a Thar for 17 months now, they have no clue on how to even service the Thar let alone any specific problem that may show up. During the first service, the service advisor was not aware that the engine and axle oils needed changing and likewise for the transmission oil during the second service. He had to take a look at my owners manual to verify.

You can definitely buy oil from the ASC sales counter. I bought the oil yesterday from the dealer's showroom (India Garage) in Bangalore. They have a small service station at the rear with a spare parts shop. Go with what's recommended in the owners manual. I bought the recommended Maximile Feo (6 liters) that is good for up to 20,000 km.

Anything else should meet the minimum requirement of API CH-4 SAE 15W 40 specification and will require a change at 10,000 km, as per the owners manual.
ComSub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 23:08   #2947
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I'm told that Thar CRDe is the most sought after hired vehicle in Goa @ 2500 bucks per day! The small state is full of them!

HAHAHA! HAHAHA! HAHAHA! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
M&M should launch a special edition for the Goa market. Or maybe just throw in a free Warn winch for giving the company so much business
Live To Jive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 20:40   #2948
BHPian

I got obsessed with the Thar when I saw one going off road.

And Mahindra came up with this amazing ad

At about 0:53, there's a yellow 4x4. Is that a special edition of Thar? What vehicle is that?
Old 6th April 2014, 22:05   #2949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post
I got obsessed with the Thar when I saw one going off road.

And Mahindra came up with this amazing ad

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Ez2IbQULlzk

At about 0:53, there's a yellow 4x4. Is that a special edition of Thar? What vehicle is that?
Bolero stinger by mahindra customized.
TuxDiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 17:19   #2950
BHPian

Took my family on the Thar from Kolkata to Rotang Pass(still closed with snow) last week, the ride was absolutely problem free. The coolant levels remained intact, so were other fluid levels. My 6 year old son was comfortable on the modified rear seats. The AC worked fine. It was a head turner even in Delhi, men and women came up to ask about the mods.
Enjoying the ride, 2 months and 10k kms done.
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-thar-rotang.jpg
Old 7th April 2014, 17:22   #2951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
2 months and 10k kms done.
What happened to the Renault duster may I ask?
Old 7th April 2014, 18:40   #2952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
What happened to the Renault duster may I ask?
I am still the proud owner of the Duster. Giving it some rest.
Old 23rd April 2014, 17:03   #2953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxDiesel View Post
Now, I found a new issue with the jeep. Whenever I go over a small puddle, the jeep looses control for a moment. The steering wobbles a bit. I just did a wheel alignment two weeks back. Any idea of what might be wrong? Or is this how every Thar behaves?
Noticed that you didn't get a response to your question Tuxdiesel. I have the same issue in my thar, and the jeep rattles and shakes a lot on rough roads. I am planning on getting a SA roll cage put to help with the rattles & squeaks, but the steering wobble is still an issue.
I can live with these small issues, but was wondering if its something out of the ordinary.
Old 28th April 2014, 10:22   #2954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nan View Post
Noticed that you didn't get a response to your question Tuxdiesel. I have the same issue in my thar, and the jeep rattles and shakes a lot on rough roads. I am planning on getting a SA roll cage put to help with the rattles & squeaks, but the steering wobble is still an issue.
I can live with these small issues, but was wondering if its something out of the ordinary.
Yeah. In my last service at ASC I asked the guys to take a look at this issue. They said they fixed it. I didn't ask them what exactly they did.
Old 28th April 2014, 10:35   #2955
BHPian

They said they fixed my issue too (at india garage coorg) and they changed tie rod ends on a vehicle that had done only 22000 kms. I came to know later that doing so hadn't addressed the issue at all.
I have since decided never to go to any india garage service centre, they dont really know what they are doing. And also decided to know more about issues and solutions before i go to any workshop. (that's the attempt now that i am a member here).
Is your issue sorted? And, more important, where do you get your jeep repaired?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks