Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2013, 11:49   #2866
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
Now please pardon me if this has been discussed earlier too but seriously would like to know that how many more takers mahindra can have if they make thar a more decent product in terms of safety features by lets say adding ABS with traction control and a couple of airbags in the front. Even if they raise the price by another lac it wouldnt attract more buyers with a good quality product.
Mahindra is quite happy with the current (state of the) Thar and will not consider any of the 'accessories' that you mention. After all, it meets the requirements of the CMVR, doesn't it?
There are suckers (me included) buying Thars comfortably in the current form since there are no other options!

In my opinion, the only possibility of Mahindra coming out of slumber is a good (sale) performance of the Jeep Wrangler. Only then will Mahindra realize there is competition and MAY upgrade the Thar with these goodies (considered essential by any other manufacturer), albeit at a cost.

As it stands, Mahindra wants to maintain a clear differential between the Thar, the Scorpio LX and the XUV W4, lest they cannibalize each others' sales!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 21st December 2013 at 11:58.
Old 21st December 2013, 12:19   #2867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post

Mahindra is quite happy with the current (state of the) Thar and will not consider any of the 'accessories' that you mention. After all, it meets the requirements of the CMVR, doesn't it?
There are suckers (me included) buying Thars comfortably in the current form since there are no other options!

In my opinion, the only possibility of Mahindra coming out of slumber is a good (sale) performance of the Jeep Wrangler. Only then will Mahindra realize there is competition and MAY upgrade the Thar with these goodies (considered essential by any other manufacturer), albeit at a cost.

As it stands, Mahindra wants to maintain a clear differential between the Thar, the Scorpio LX and the XUV W4, lest they cannibalize each others' sales!
I dont understand the concept of Mahindra Rise as a whole when they cant rise in providing quality products. Wrangler surely will make a good start but the point is why cant Mahindra be proactive and deliver a good comprehensive product rather than react later. Waking up from the dead later wont help them and by that time it would be game over for the thar if reports are to be believed jeep is coming with a smaller version of wrangler called jeepster. The jeepster will nail thar completely. Mahindra can easily launch a vlx version of thar which has a hardtop ABS, Airbags and some basic gizmoes. Thar as compared to Scorpio and XUV is a completely different product and its VLX model would not only provide a customer with many options but also i dont think will canabalize the sales of scorpio or XUV.
Old 23rd December 2013, 20:46   #2868
Senior - BHPian

Here is ACI' long term report of the Thar. A nice report!

Excerpts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACI
Small things like this make me think Mahindra didn’t really think things out when they engineered the Thar. The mix and match of Scorpio and Bolero for the engine, chassis and rear suspension has a downside — the components weren’t really designed for the stresses of off-roading. I spoke to Mahindra about this and they say that engineering specific parts for the Thar would demand re-homologation, and that would in turn push the price further up. Still, I feel Mahindra should go the distance, spend the money and build an even more capable Thar. The company’s heritage lies in rugged Jeeps (not sure if I can call a Thar a Jeep anymore) and Mahindra owes it to itself to make an off-roader that no one can complain about.
Read the whole thing here: 28,000 km and over a year.

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-0_0_0_0_70_httpi.haymarket.net.aureviewsthar6.jpg
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 22:35   #2869
Senior - BHPian

Santa blessed me with one this Christmas
PS:-Any clue if i can buy front mesh and light grills in open market,one from Mahindra were overpriced and had horrible quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-1477925_438235029610297_2017288554_n.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-1504102_438234979610302_302452395_n.jpg  

akshay4587 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 09:39   #2870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
PS:-Any clue if i can buy front mesh and light grills in open market,one from Mahindra were overpriced and had horrible quality.
Good old Santa, congratulations on your purchase anyway!

Regarding the mesh and light grills, choose (the best available) and buy from Mahindra accessories, the ones available outside may be cheaper, but the quality is undoubtedly worse!

In my personal opinion, the Jeep looks better without the insect mesh.
Old 27th December 2013, 11:05   #2871
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats!

Regarding the insect mesh. I had it fitted at the dealer. The quality is good and it can be removed if you don't want it. It has got some kind of clamp system. (around 1000 Rs)

But beware that while fitting it, they will create horrible scratch marks as the clamps are made of metal and will chip off the paint on the grill. I noticed this only after removing it a month later, to try a different look. Unfortunately the scratches look so horrible that I have no choice but to leave the mesh as it is.

Buy the insect mesh with clamp from Mahindra, but before fitting it, put some tape (or something better, cant think of anything else) on the contact points of the grill and the mesh clamps, so that paint remains intact.

Also put some double sided tape all around the perimeter of the mesh (facing the vehicle), wherever it will touch the paint of the vehicle.
Old 27th December 2013, 11:09   #2872
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the Thar. Color suits it quite nicely, soup it up and it will for sure turn a few heads.

Enjoy many more adventurous miles on the Thar.
Old 27th December 2013, 11:56   #2873
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats Akshay!

First of all remove that red sticker from wind-shield that is looking horrible.
About the front light grill and mesh, please wait for sometime and then you will realise that Jeep is looking good in stock set-up.

Thanks,
Vishal.
Old 28th December 2013, 00:00   #2874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Good old Santa, congratulations on your purchase anyway!

Regarding the mesh and light grills, choose (the best available) and buy from Mahindra accessories, the ones available outside may be cheaper, but the quality is undoubtedly worse!

In my personal opinion, the Jeep looks better without the insect mesh.
Somehow i prefer the looks with the Grills and Mesh,the one's from Mahindra were also of pathetic quality,will check with Bimbra from gurgaon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by datvichrox2 View Post
Congrats!

Regarding the insect mesh. I had it fitted at the dealer. The quality is good and it can be removed if you don't want it. It has got some kind of clamp system. (around 1000 Rs)

But beware that while fitting it, they will create horrible scratch marks as the clamps are made of metal and will chip off the paint on the grill. I noticed this only after removing it a month later, to try a different look. Unfortunately the scratches look so horrible that I have no choice but to leave the mesh as it is.

Buy the insect mesh with clamp from Mahindra, but before fitting it, put some tape (or something better, cant think of anything else) on the contact points of the grill and the mesh clamps, so that paint remains intact.

Also put some double sided tape all around the perimeter of the mesh (facing the vehicle), wherever it will touch the paint of the vehicle.
Thanks a lot,and more so for the tip regarding scratches,will keep it in mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats on the Thar. Color suits it quite nicely, soup it up and it will for sure turn a few heads.

Enjoy many more adventurous miles on the Thar.
Thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Congrats Akshay!

First of all remove that red sticker from wind-shield that is looking horrible.
About the front light grill and mesh, please wait for sometime and then you will realise that Jeep is looking good in stock set-up.

Thanks,
Vishal.
Thanks Vishal,the sticker was removed a few hours later.
Mesh will also protect intercooler and fans from outside elements like dust and insects.
Old 28th December 2013, 16:20   #2875
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by datvichrox2 View Post
Regarding the insect mesh, I had it fitted at the dealer. It has got some kind of clamp system. But beware that while fitting it, they will create horrible scratch marks as the clamps are made of metal and will chip off the paint on the grill. I noticed this only after removing it a month later, to try a different look. Unfortunately the scratches look so horrible that I have no choice but to leave the mesh as it is.
Dear Datvichrox2 - the insect mesh is exactly same as MM540 army except that the bottom clamps are not there. In the original MM540, there were two slots in the bottom of the radiator guard (the 7 slatted grille is officially called "radiator guard"), and there were two lugs in the insect mesh which used to engage in them. In Thar, these slots are not there because there are two Bolero body mounts in this location and the slots came too close to them in design, so they were eliminated as the insect mesh was never in the original vehicle BOM (Bill of Material). The MM540 had only one body mounting in the center (which used to positively break)! During those days also, the top brackets used to scratch the army vehicles' paint but I guess that customer profile was different. If you want insect mesh and no scratches, knock off the spring brackets (chisel the rivets off, takes two minutes and a chisel), drill 4 small holes in the mesh surround bracket, transfer the holes in the radiator guard and use M6*1.0 size stainless steel allen head bolts to lock the mesh in position.

Simple, isn't it? Dealers can make a lot of money by doing such things, if only they think! HaHaHa!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 30th December 2013, 01:34   #2876
BANNED

hello DB sir came across your post after a long time. Sir your comments on the ARC CLF for the thar. Have been happy with my thar n both my kids love it but its a bit too bumpy for them in the rear. I use it for 4000km a year 3500km on road n 500 off it of which only 50 km is may be really really bad n i use 4L.
Old 14th January 2014, 13:16   #2877
BHPian

When I was searching for information on Maximile Feo, I came across this document in the internet detailing the changes in the newer Thar version.

http://teknetmahindra.com/files/TSB_...odel_Intro.pdf

I'm not sure if mahindra intended this document to be on public domain, Hence I'm posting a screen shot of the page :

Also this document on revised service schedule. The intervals has been changed from 5000kms to 10000kms : http://teknetmahindra.com/files/TSB_...e_Schedule.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-newtharchanges.png  

TuxDiesel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 13:33   #2878
Team-BHP Support

Fixed hubs. Hmm, I guess they realized that the auto locking hubs(as in scorpio/safari) are not durable. fixed hubs are cheaper, and will last long, but it will affect FE by 1-2kmpl.

It may also increase wear and tear on front prop shaft, since it always rotates now even when 4WD is disengaged.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 14:18   #2879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Fixed hubs. Hmm, I guess they realized that the auto locking hubs(as in scorpio/safari) are not durable. fixed hubs are cheaper, and will last long, but it will affect FE by 1-2kmpl.

It may also increase wear and tear on front prop shaft, since it always rotates now even when 4WD is disengaged.
Tanveer, I've heard a lot of people are already complaining about the fixed flange setup especially at higher speeds. Don't know for sure but I also heard that they're either back to the auto locking hubs or planning to revert.

I guess we all know by now that "durability" and "Mahindra" in the same sentence don't go well together
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 14:39   #2880
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Tanveer, I've heard a lot of people are already complaining about the fixed flange setup especially at higher speeds. Don't know for sure but I also heard that they're either back to the auto locking hubs or planning to revert.
Hi, what is the complaint? Vibrations?

If so, they can move on to manual locking hubs.

Last edited by dhanushs : 14th January 2014 at 14:48.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks