Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2013, 16:29   #2761
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Need help ! Can you please suggest someone who sells good quality accessories for the Thar in Gurgaon / Delhi. I need to get an external antenna and maybe some other goodies if theres somthing of interest.
Old 18th September 2013, 17:39   #2762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaism View Post
Need help ! Can you please suggest someone who sells good quality accessories for the Thar in Gurgaon / Delhi. I need to get an external antenna and maybe some other goodies if theres somthing of interest.
Look here.

https://www.facebook.com/bimbra4x4
Old 18th September 2013, 18:06   #2763
BHPian

Mahindra Thar Updates

Chief among the updates is a cross bar welded between the A- and B-pillars to improve structural rigidity, as there was a fair bit of clatter over bad roads due to the B-pillar hitting the doors.

Other interior updates include stronger door handles, screws are now used to attach the soft top instead of the earlier pins, the rear seats have been lowered to improve headroom for passengers and the air-con switches are now the units found in the Bolero VLX.

Lastly, but importantly, the front axle’s auto locking hubs have been replaced by a more reliable fixed flange setup (which means that the front driveshafts are always engaged).

Mahindra has introduced these updates at no additional cost and most of these updates such as the front cross member can be integrated in the existing Thar and the auto locking hubs can be replaced with the fixed flange too.

Source: http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...ra-cost/17190/
Old 18th September 2013, 19:47   #2764
Senior - BHPian

Have they started to deliver the upgraded Thar, or is only the older version available with dealers?
Old 18th September 2013, 20:57   #2765
XD2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Have they started to deliver the upgraded Thar, or is only the older version available with dealers?
I believe the one hondaism has is the upgraded one - the one with screws on the cabin end of the soft top.
XD2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 13:22   #2766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD2 View Post
I believe the one hondaism has is the upgraded one - the one with screws on the cabin end of the soft top.
Cool, thanks for confirming. Even I didn't know 😀
Old 19th September 2013, 14:00   #2767
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD2 View Post
Not sure if its a Thar issue, a Mahindra one, something missed in the service, or just plain bad luck.
In my opinion, this is more of a Mahindra parts quality issue, rather than a Thar Issue. This also proves that you should be doing a daily vehicle check up as a routine, if you own Mahindra vehicles.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 21:19   #2768

Seems like very soon the second hand car market will be flooded by Thars!!

I have been following Team-BHP for a quite a few years, muted but still regular. Like most of the team members, I have interests in offroading, 4X4 vehicles, technical stuffs etc..Heck, I too was carried away with all the hoopla of offroading and was close to buying the Thar when it was released. But something in my brain has always stopped me from making that impulsive decision.

I have lots of friends who own the Thar and have enjoyed many offroading and road trips in the Thar. Most of the Thar owners I know have spent quiet a lot to make it more desirable (sorry offroadble) and yet don't seem happy or satisfied with the vehicle. Some complain of the comforts & practicality, most say 'no-time for offroading dude' and the honest ones say offroading is technical and I couldnt do it. Lot of them have decided to sell it off and have asked me several times to pick it up.

This increasing trend of selling off a fairly new, unused (literally, I mean offroading) Thars have got me thinking that very soon we'll see some large influx of Thars in the second hand market. Even considering the Pareto's 80:20 rule (80% of the buyers are influenced by the fad and 20% seriously considering offroading as past time), we should be in for some cheap second hand Thars soon.

I am thinking a lot of the Thar owners will not agree with me on this, but I also know a lot of them will agree as well.
pradeep_mk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 23:43   #2769
BHPian

Re: Seems like very soon the second hand car market will be flooded by Thars!!

Hmmm interesting! Maybe I think that would make way for those interested few to afford a second vehicle in Thar for satisfying their occasional off-roading thirsts then!

But seriously, would you buy yourself a second-hand Thar to quench your long term interest?

I'm also eager to know how much less these 'unused' Thars are sold for?
Old 28th September 2013, 14:02   #2770
E63
BANNED

Re: Seems like very soon the second hand car market will be flooded by Thars!!

A classic case of Heart ruling the head!
People buy jeeps thinking they would go off-roading, and then realize they dont have the time for it.
Old 28th September 2013, 15:05   #2771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaism View Post
Cool, thanks for confirming. Even I didn't know 😀
What about the cross member between Pillars A and B? Is it present on your Thar?

Spoke to 3 dealers in Bangalore, Indiagarage, SireeshAuto and AnantCars.

SireeshAuto hasn't heard of these new updates.
IndiaGarage has heard of it but hasn't received any official notice.
AnantCars has a new test drive vehicle which has the updates!! (as per sales guy's claim. He said it does not have auto locking hub). Taking a TD tomorrow, will check if it really is the updated one.

The only visual cues that I know of are the AC switches and the crossmember above the cabin. What else can I check to verify?

I am planning to book one. Is there really a waiting period of 2 months in Bangalore, as claimed by the dealers? SireeshAuto promised 4 weeks. AnantCars is ok with a booking amt of 15k-20k.

I hear there is no option of extended warranty as well.
Old 28th September 2013, 15:35   #2772

Totally agree. I have a neighbour who has driven his Thar for 3k kms, all in the city. On top of this he complains about the lack of comforts in the vehicle. Never do they realise that the vehicle is made to be offroad.
Old 29th September 2013, 10:45   #2773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by datvichrox2 View Post
What about the cross member between Pillars

I am planning to book one. Is there really a waiting period of 2 months in Bangalore, as claimed by the dealers? SireeshAuto promised 4 weeks. AnantCars is ok with a booking amt of 15k-20k.
It also depends on the color that you choose. SireeshAuto delivered mine in 3 weeks.
TuxDiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 12:34   #2774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeep_mk View Post
But something in my brain has always stopped me from making that impulsive decision.

I have lots of friends who own the Thar and have enjoyed many offroading and road trips in the Thar. Most of the Thar owners I know have spent quiet a lot to make it more desirable (sorry offroadble) and yet don't seem happy or satisfied with the vehicle. Some complain of the comforts & practicality, most say 'no-time for offroading dude' and the honest ones say offroading is technical and I couldnt do it. Lot of them have decided to sell it off and have asked me several times to pick it up.

This increasing trend of selling off a fairly new, unused (literally, I mean offroading) Thars have got me thinking that very soon we'll see some large influx of Thars in the second hand market. Even considering the Pareto's 80:20 rule (80% of the buyers are influenced by the fad and 20% seriously considering offroading as past time), we should be in for some cheap second hand Thars soon.

I am thinking a lot of the Thar owners will not agree with me on this, but I also know a lot of them will agree as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Hmmm interesting! Maybe I think that would make way for those interested few to afford a second vehicle in Thar for satisfying their occasional off-roading thirsts then!

But seriously, would you buy yourself a second-hand Thar to quench your long term interest?

I'm also eager to know how much less these 'unused' Thars are sold for?
I too had followed all the pre launch teaser threads for close to 2 years and also waited with bated breath for the launch and pricing. However couldnt make the move to buy it new - so I too decided to wait.

Finally I bought a 4 month used Thar (with 3K kms on the odometer) in June 2012 and have had it for 14 months now and covered 11K Kms. 1st owner was having to travel abroad and so wanted to sell it.

I had issues with the plastic parts but other than that and the coolant consumption issues have not had any other problem. The price would vary of course based on a number of factors.

I have two other cars at home so technically this is my third vehicle but I use it most of the time with only a few hundred Km driven in the other ones in the whole year. Have taken it offroad a couple of times only so far but I knew that would be the case and am okay with it - family priorities also have to be met.

The Thar CRDE used is definitely something to look out for and buy (of course with all necessary checks) ! Go for it. Let me know if I can help with any clarifications on buying it used.
Old 30th September 2013, 18:26   #2775
BHPian

Thanks @TuxDiesel
Have you replaced your tires? Or running on stock?

AnantCars sent a test drive vehicle claiming to be the updated Thar. I was not surprised when it was the same vehicle without the updates. The sales guy insisted that these are just rumours. So shot out an email to customercare of mahindra and got the following response:

Quote:
Hi,

I have come across articles stating that the following updates have been made to THAR CRDe.

Can you please confirm? I am planning to make my booking only after the confirmation.

1. Auto Locking Hubs are replaced by Fixed Flanges
2. Rear seat height reduced by 6-7mm
3. AC switches have been upgraded to Bolero VLX
4. Door Handles have been upgraded
5. Soft top pins are replaced with screws.

Please confirm whether these changes have been rolled out immediately and If I make the booking, will I get the updated model.
Quote:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for writing to us and showing your interest in our vehicle.

The vehicle with below changes is already available and can be ordered.

Pl note- seat height reduction is by 60 mm which leads to more rear head room.

Thanks & Regards,
Buyers who are taking delivery please take note.

Also, the rear seat height is reduced by 60mm and not 6mm as mentioned in various articles.
datvichrox2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks