Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2013, 19:12   #2656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk.b View Post
I shifted to 4x4 high and went about climbing for 15 mins and then suddenly i heard a loud grinding noise from underneath the vehicle, the kind i had never heard before. I thought that there must be an issue with the 4x4 system so i switched back into 2 wheel drive and slowly started to inch up the climb which was mostly rock, mud and slush and hardly any tarmac.

When I came back to Leh, i wanted to again test the 4x4 system and did a good 1 hr without a hint of the grinding sound i had heard at the top of the pass.
I can only assume that the terrain (or road surface) did not allow the tyres to slip and release the pent-up torque in the drive-train.

Please remember that Mahindra 4WD Jeeps do not have a central differential to equalize torque between the front and rear axles.

If the road surface is soft/muddy/slushy, the tyres slip and release the torque build-up, if not, it takes its toll on some weak member in the drive train - front or rear joint stars, free-wheeling hubs, propeller shafts, etc!

It is for this reason that Mahindra Jeep manuals advise against engaging 4WD on hard surfaces.
cpbopanna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 20:04   #2657
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
I drove the Thar for almost 4k kms without any major problems.
OT: Did you lose your light (Hella) somewhere?
Old 5th July 2013, 13:41   #2658
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Thar experts/BD sir,

I shifted to 4x4 high and went about climbing for 15 mins and then suddenly i heard a loud grinding noise from underneath the vehicle, the kind i had never heard before.
My Thar is currently in the workshop for this exact same issue.

P.S. Sweet looking Thar you got there. Did one of your Hellas fall down during the trip? Also, can you post a pic of your alloy wheels. Which make are they?
Old 5th July 2013, 19:08   #2659
Senior - BHPian

Thar CRDe factory air-con problem

Heavy, heavy monsoon overcast here today as I bop down the road in my Thar....to the dealer in Pathankot to fix my wipers and attend to an ominous sound in the right front suspension. Well, I am kind of enjoying it, the rain has stopped, the road is mostly dry, it's smooth and winding without much traffic and for 3 whole accursed minutes I am actually enjoying my expensive new toy as we take the rolling curves with a little conservative speed and the gelded 2.6L gives me a micro burst of guts.

Then I feel a good deal of cold water running down my pant leg. I am somewhat relieved it is COLD WATER because that means that I have not sprung a leak....a concern for us older men. I look away from the road and see that my entire dash board is soaked with water just as if you had taken half a liter of mineral water and poured it out across the dash. A quick look at the moldings and top showed nothing, all dry there. Then I noticed water dripping rapidly out of my dashboard vents.

Heavy monsoon day, extraordinary humidity....all the water was condensation from the cold air flowing thru my ducts, just like the cold water on a bottle of Coca Cola except more so.

These imbeciles, these dolts, these uncaring adolescent incompetent fools at Mahindra have released this little water maker with no insulation in the ducts. This thing pumps out more water than you would believe possible.
The electricals in my dash got a nice spritzing.

I get to the dealer and the service guy tells me, "Yup, they will do that. Monsoon, you know. Your A/C is too powerful. That's the problem. If you want, I can let some of the gas out of the....."

"No! I scream at him. Leave it alone. I am getting to like it this way."

To you lunatics at Mahindra who perpetrated this upon me, know yee that I have summoned the local mountain deities around here and the ghost of the departed Behram Dhabhar and we are going to curdle your chromosomes.
DirtyDan is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 19:15   #2660
BANNED

re: Thar CRDe factory air-con problem

hahahaha, no words to say.You have made our evening in shanghai special after a boring long journey, all my Chinese friends and monks are laughing like mad.. oh my god..

Your too good. Would meet you next time.
Rajith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 19:23   #2661
Team-BHP Support

Why are you using such a powerful A/C in the monsoon in the Himalayas? A clear case of user abuse. Mahindra service center will log this as CCUA.

My garage installed AC has no such problem.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 19:27   #2662
Senior - BHPian

I think this proves that there is absolutely nothing called design &/or engineering in India.
And neither is there anything called prototype testing.

Design & Engineering would've taken care that such things never arise (come on! ac draining to dashboard!!! don't they know about gravity? or perhaps they never even thought that air can reach dew point in India ...)
Perhaps the whole AC thing was a poor afterthought ...
Even the local AC walla knows that there condensation occurs, and needs to be drained properly (else you get foul smell)

You, sir, have a knack of humor ... especially liked the bit about warm water ;-)

By the way, this thread inspires me to test my OHC's vents for drainage properties ...

Last edited by alpha1 : 5th July 2013 at 19:29.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 19:32   #2663

Well I managed to save the Hella just before it fell off. All the rocky and bumpy roads had to take some toll.

@ashishy - looking forward to hear an update from you on the issue. Thanks much !
Old 5th July 2013, 20:58   #2664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
..and the ghost of the departed Behram Dhabhar and we are going to curdle your chromosomes.
He's very much amongst us !
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 22:28   #2665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
He's very much amongst us !
I think Ken meant from Mahindra's perspective, since BD is no longer with Mahindra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Then I noticed water dripping rapidly out of my dashboard vents.

...and the ghost of the departed Behram Dhabhar and we are going to curdle your chromosomes.
Ken, what are you cribbing about? Mahindra has provided you with such a useful feature and did not even charge you. Be grateful to them for their generosity.

Just turn on this water thingy, and keep a straw handy to quench your thirst. Get some dripping system attached to the vents and you could go around selling freshly bottled Himalayan mineral water.

And to top it all, just before you reach home, turn on this thing. You get a free inside wash including the dash and electricals. Have they not provided you with uncovered drain holes on the floor of the Thar, to drain away the water? If you are resourceful, you can even fit a shower mechanism above your seat. Get a mineral bath on the move.

Unfortunately, what you do with this deluge, does not come under the purview of CMVR. And who knows, by eliminating the drain mechanism, they would have saved a few pennies. What about the customer? "Bhaad mein gaya customer"
pjbiju is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 15:44   #2666
Senior - BHPian

Thar CRDe immobilizer: how to immobilize it?

I have one of the newer Thars that comes with the immobilizer. For the unwashed, if you have a special Mahindra key you can start your Thar but if you just have a metal copy of the key, you can not start the car. Apparently there is an electric thing in the plastic end of the key that allows start up?

While at the dealer last week I tried to order two spares. I have lost one key of the original two shifting quarters to a new house. I wanted the dealer to make me two spares. Three seemed like a nice tidy number to have around. The service manager said I can not have 3. I can only have two. They are making me one spare only. I don't like Mahindra, period. And now I don't like them dictating to me how many freaking keys I can have to MY vehicle. I will have 16 if it freaking suits me! Added to that, my driver door lock works particularly roughly and my passenger side ain't much better.

Can I easily scrap this immobilizer business altogether and replace the ignition and door locks with.....er...mobilizer keys? Please don't give me the patter and schlock about the advantages of the IMMOBILIZER SYSTEM. I don't like it. I can rig in kill switches locally when it comes to security. I also don't like the idea that the replacement key has to come all the way from the factory and who knows when that donkey caravan will hit the silk roads in H.P. and get to me. By the way, the silk roads aren't silk at all. Another myth blown to bits on Team-BHP.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 10th July 2013 at 15:49.
DirtyDan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 15:49   #2667
Team-BHP Support

Re: Thar CRDe immobilizer: how to immobilize it?

What if you lost another key, then the dealer got you a duplicate so the balance is maintained.

Some days later you suddenly found that key, which you had lost.

Last edited by bblost : 10th July 2013 at 15:51.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 16:36   #2668
Senior - BHPian

It's not that the A/C ducts are not drained...don't really know if they are or not. They are not insulated. This means that the entire dashboard gets really cold from the cold air and water vapor in humid monsoon air then condenses on the ENTIRE dashboard. Mahindra surely knows how to cool a dash, by golly. And I am not talking about a little dampness, I am talking about sopping wet, soaked major league. You have to be dumber than a brick to put something like this into production.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 10th July 2013 at 16:40.
DirtyDan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 16:42   #2669
BHPian

Re: Thar CRDe immobilizer: how to immobilize it?

In a month, tell them you lost one more and get another done. Then you have three...
Old 10th July 2013, 17:13   #2670
Senior - BHPian

I face exactly the same problem in my Bolero as well. And water dripping from under the dashboard just behind the glove box.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks