Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2016, 16:54   #3511
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aithalsandy View Post
Just wanted to confirm with the experienced Thar owners.
I have a two year old flat rear model Thar, no issues from Top. I had water leak on driver floor, which i traced it to a faulty wiper washer fitment and was fixed.

Which part of the roof is leaking? Can you share some pics?

Edit: just noticed you saying it would be covered under warranty, so should not be an issue.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 18:17   #3512
BHPian

@DB Sir,

Thanks a lot for the info and agreeing to highlight the issue with the vendor.

I will push ASC for replacement.

@Jaggu,

The leak is through stitches from the rooftop which run parallel to benches, mostly towards the rear end. I will locate the video and upload.

On warranty, ASC has orally told me that it is covered. I have also got an extended warranty of 3 yrs for Rs 16k in addition to initial 1yr warranty.
Old 27th July 2016, 11:52   #3513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Anyways, I am meeting the vendor day after tomorrow "for something else", I will ask him why he is giving nonsense canopy which does not meet the acceptance criteria! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir - while you are there, could you please find out from where we can procure the raw material, so that we could get one of the canopy made ourselves with better zips additional things like foldable side walls.
Also if we could procure the canopy directly from this vendor - that is so much more useful than going around ordering and waiting for months together.

The same is the story for the SA roll over bar - ordered it a 7 weeks ago - still not there, Going to collect my advance back.

Thank you
Old 27th July 2016, 14:03   #3514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Sir, while you are there, could you please find out from where we can procure the raw material, so that we could get one of the canopy made ourselves. Also, if we could procure the canopy directly from this vendor? That is so much more useful than going around ordering and waiting for months together. The same is the story for the SA roll over bar, ordered it a 7 weeks ago, still not there, going to collect my advance back. Thank you
Dear Ranjit Singhji - hello after a very long time and hahaha! You took the words right out of my mouth. Actually I am meeting the canopy supplier and also the material supplier "for something else"! I know that there is a lot of business here, but it is not tapped at all. Read on!

Just to fill you in Sirji, I had developed the canopy in 4 days flat (yes, 4 days flat), from 02 to 05 January 2010, sitting with the vendor in Pune, and it came out perfect, see the photographs! Now after 5 years, the damn thing leaks. What does it show, development or deterioration? People must realize that the product exists only in the human mind and nowhere else, it is possible to convert it to reality in 4 days flat and put it in production @ a steady 300 to 400 per month year after year for 5 and a half years by using Passion! Let me see one aggregate which is done in 4 days flat using excel files and fancy presentations but no passion, oh come on now! Next example, I had tried to develop a vendor for the hard top in 2010 in the Nasik industrial area itself. In addition to the usual nuisance value drivel which came my way, the vendor also just refused to recognize the business potential. His investment was next to nothing, he would be churning out orders and counting notes now. Now he has told me that he was wrong, but it's too late! So, please go and get your South Africa rollover bar money back! I can tell you that any good CNC controlled pipe bending fabricator will be able to make a rollover bar better than the South Africa one if he works with passion + a lot of common sense. Go and do it, don't wait for 7 weeks (and you don't have to meet homologation either). The pipe diameter is 44.45mm (1.75")! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 27th July 2016 at 14:14.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 10:45   #3515
BHPian

Hello All,

I am uploading water-leak photos, I am unable upload video due to some tech issues.

Also attaching photos of another water leak below the glove box.

My adventure with the Thar seems to have gone to advanced level
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-back-driver-final.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-back-codriver-final.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-below-glovebox-1-final.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-below-glovebox-2-final.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-below-glovebox-3-final.jpg  

aithalsandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 17:46   #3516
BHPian

Even my 1600kms old thar is having water leakage problems in rains. The canopy is leaking from 5-6 places and also there is some leakage behind the dashboard. I believe I need to ask for a canopy replacement under warranty.
DB Sir, please have a look the pictures and advice how this leakage behind the dashboard could be fixed. There is quite some water that has collected in the passenger footwell.
Also, does the bonnet release lever doesn't work when pulled, is there a fix for that?

Last edited by bad_azz : 28th July 2016 at 17:58.
Old 28th July 2016, 20:12   #3517
BHPian

Hello all, I was looking for a second hand Thar, is there any thread which points out what are the things which should be looked into before buying a second hand Thar. I am looking for Thar CRDE most probably from 2012 onwards.

Kindly guide. Thank You
Old 28th July 2016, 20:20   #3518
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

This is the saddest thing. Even after nearly 70 years building Jeeps the Mahindra Quality Control and attention to detail can still do with a revamp.

How can it be even allowed for a 11 Lac Jeep to LEAK for Heaven's Sake?

Would you come across this kind of thing in a Jeep Wrangler Soft Top?

I most definitely think not. They'd be sued instantly by some Six Gun Totin', Winchester Carryin', HillBilly from the BoonDocks of Arkansas or Tennessee or wherever...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 21:17   #3519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
Hello all, I was looking for a second hand Thar, is there any thread which points out what are the things which should be looked into before buying a second hand Thar. I am looking for Thar CRDE most probably from 2012 onwards.

Kindly guide. Thank You
I don't think there is any thread specific to buying a used Thar - do read up all the ownership reviews to get an idea of potential issues.
Would suggest you get one that has the least amount of mods and electrical fittings and is as close to stock as possible without huge alloys and tires. Build it up as per your priorities - don't buy a blinged up Thar as you may end up trying to fix issues caused by all the modifications. You will get at a better price too.

Look for one either with factory fitted AC if possible (May 2012 onwards I think)
Check for obvious damage/use done Offroad by peeking under the body and by bent bumpers number plate and foot steps. If it hasn't got some of these minor damages at least then avoid it as it hasn't been driven at all and possibly due to some issues.
Check for any undue tilt of the body either front to back or side to side.
Do a test drive and check for weird noises with windows open and AC and music off. (If there is no rattling or squeaking something is wrong)
Check if turbo is providing boost by accelerating past 1800rmp on an open stretch. (Hope you realize the brakes may not stop in time so leave enough room in front and and at the back.)
Check tire wear and odometer mileage.
Check if temperature guage works and also check for any coolant leaks within bonnet.
Check if wipers work and wash spray sprays your or passengers feet or washes the glove box. If so its fine.
Service records as well if done in ASC.If they exist be afraid and avoid reading as you may not go through with the purchase.
If you are told there are no leaks in the canopy and mileage is 15+ there is some problem. There should be fine dust all over the interior.
If all door knobs and window winders all work something is wrong. There has to be something plasticky broken !

Basically long story short and jokes apart you are not buying a car be prepared for an adventure with the Thar and Mahindra service and parts. If you are ready for it then by all means buy one.

I bought mine used in 2012 and have driven it for over 40k in 4 years. Had some issues all g the way and there is always something more to do but have never regretted buying it. You can read my thread as well for more details. Hope I havnt put you off buying a Thar.

But seriously take your time searching and don't be in a hurry. Do ask questions if you have and many owners here and also DB sir will gladly answer.

All the best !

Last edited by sjcherian : 28th July 2016 at 21:18. Reason: Typos
sjcherian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 22:43   #3520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Would suggest you get one that has the least amount of mods and electrical fittings and is as close to stock as possible without huge alloys and tires. Build it up as per your priorities - don't buy a blinged up Thar as you may end up trying to fix issues caused by all the modifications. You will get at a better price too.
Thank you for the suggestion and yes you are correct the more simpler it is better the vehicle would be.

Quote:
Look for one either with factory fitted AC if possible (May 2012 onwards I think)
Yes that is one of the reason I mentioned I am looking from 2012 onwards.

Quote:
Check for obvious damage/use done Offroad by peeking under the body and by bent bumpers number plate and foot steps. If it hasn't got some of these minor damages at least then avoid it as it hasn't been driven at all and possibly due to some issues.
Now this is something I find tricky. I know whomsoever will be buying a Thar will take it either their second car for adventure, or to go offroading. Now how to make sure, the bush, chasis, suspensions are all good to be ridden for atleast a year.

Quote:
You can read my thread as well for more details. Hope I havnt put you off buying a Thar.

But seriously take your time searching and don't be in a hurry. Do ask questions if you have and many owners here and also DB sir will gladly answer.

All the best !
Well I would really appreciate you if can provide me a link for your Thread. Thank you yours points I will keep that in mind.
Old 29th July 2016, 06:21   #3521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
Well I would really appreciate you if can provide me a link for your Thread. Thank you yours points I will keep that in mind.
Here it is http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...eador-red.html

I didnt realize that time has flown so fast that the thread is a bit out of date - I will update it within a few days.
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 09:46   #3522
BHPian

Quote:
Basically long story short and jokes apart you are not buying a car be prepared for an adventure with the Thar and Mahindra service and parts. If you are ready for it then by all means buy one.

All the best !
Dear sjcherian,

I almost fell off my chair reading this.
Jokes apart, I think you have made quite a comprehensive list of checks.
I like the 'feel' that Thar gives. I would have bought it readily - if it had Automatic version! I know - I know - it is against the spirit! Please forgive me in advance! However, I would have loved a no frills - but AC fitted 4x4 Thar AT.

Girish Mahajan
Old 29th July 2016, 10:12   #3523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear sjcherian,

I almost fell off my chair reading this.
Jokes apart, I think you have made quite a comprehensive list of checks.
I like the 'feel' that Thar gives. I would have bought it readily - if it had Automatic version! I know - I know - it is against the spirit! Please forgive me in advance! However, I would have loved a no frills - but AC fitted 4x4 Thar AT.

Girish Mahajan
I was just thinking of a point that I had missed. Your post about the automatic reminded me of it. Glad you liked my post , I had fun writing it up as well.

"If the clutch pedal is as soft as a hatch back then something is wrong and same way if the gear falls into place too easily be wary ! "

One of my friends was looking at a used Scorpio at a really good deal but felt the clutch was too hard. Had him sit in my Thar and try the clutch pedal and he shut up immediately. He said he will not talk of a hard clutch ever again especially to me. As long as you don't have left knee problems you will get used to it in a couple of days. Every other cars clutch will seem delicate afterwards.
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 10:18   #3524
BHPian

Quote:
I was just thinking of a point that I had missed. Your post about the automatic reminded me of it. Glad you liked my post , I had fun writing it up as well.

"If the clutch pedal is as soft as a hatch back then something is wrong and same way if the gear falls into place too easily be wary ! "

One of my friends was looking at a used Scorpio at a really good deal but felt the clutch was too hard. Had him sit in my Thar and try the clutch pedal and he shut up immediately. He said he will not talk of a hard clutch ever again especially to me. As long as you don't have left knee problems you will get used to it in a couple of days. Every other cars clutch will seem delicate afterwards.
Dear sjcherian,

Interesting topic of clutch of Mahindra vehicles.
I have not driven the Thar - so no comment.
I have driven manual Scorpio and XUV5OO. It felt a bit harder than my Jap cars - but it did not feel like a deal breaker.

My desire for automatic is only due to the fatigue of driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic. At my age, I feel the pain more.

Oh! And thanks for the prompt response.

Girish Mahajan
Old 29th July 2016, 10:25   #3525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear sjcherian,

Interesting topic of clutch of Mahindra vehicles.
I have not driven the Thar - so no comment.
I have driven manual Scorpio and XUV5OO. It felt a bit harder than my Jap cars - but it did not feel like a deal breaker.

My desire for automatic is only due to the fatigue of driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic. At my age, I feel the pain more.

Oh! And thanks for the prompt response.

Girish Mahajan
As long as you are not keeping your left leg raised and in a twisted position - the Thar is absolutely easy to drive in bumper to bumper traffic. I managed a 7 hour drive back home in flooded water in the Thar in November last year and wasnt in any pain other than being overall tired from the ordeal ! To compare - I was not able to walk after a bad 3 hour jam in my Swift and even a 2.5 hour jam in my Ikon - would be limping due to leg pain by the time I reached home. The raised seating position helps a great deal and the good forward visibility lets you plan what to do to avoid bottlenecks.

You will be the only one other than trucks and buses to not worry of small bumps and scratches. You can judiciously use just the clutch to crawl forward easily.
sjcherian is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks