Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2016, 09:23   #3586
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

I see your point, though the fact that there are two different statements in two different Australian reviews leaves one waiting for a more definitive review after the Indian launch.

And if it is a part time model as one review suggests, it means it has the 2WD option that the current Indian models don't offer - as that review also claims. Making such a drastic change in the drive train may lead to issues with drivers wrongly thinking that using 4WD-H on tarmac, in the same way they have safely used the center diff equipped older version, can be done with the new one as well, leading to driveline damage for the new models when so driven.

As to highway use of 4WD-H on a Gypsy/Thar, there are enough turns on even the e way between Pune Mumbai to stress the driveline if used in that mode. I don't see myself doing that anytime in the future in my Gypsy. Lower speeds and excellent AT Yoko Geolandars are enough to safely do the job without having to risk driveline damage. That's also what I found on a drive to South Konkan, at times in driving rain, via NH4 last week as well.

Let's see if any Thar drivers have anything to say on this point.

Last edited by Sawyer : 27th August 2016 at 09:31.
Old 27th August 2016, 10:15   #3587
BHPian

I had just parked my CRDe yesterday to pickup my daughter from her tuition classes when a middle aged lady came walking from behind ogling at my vehicle. She stopped looking at the frond fender trying to identify. As I was just getting out, she asked me whether this was a Mahindra. I said yes this is indeed a Mahindra to which she replied that She is a big fan of Mahindra vehicles. After owning a Scoprio for 10 years, she was not happy with any of the SUVs on sale here. She said she just could not find any SUV that compared her Scorpio, in the same price band.
She asked me if the soft top leaks to which I said mine has never, she asked me if the vehicle is heaver to drive then her Scorpio, to which I replied IT IS A Scorpio with a 540 body; she gave me a dazzled look telling me she doesn't understand all that. As we walked ahead she was looking back totally in awe of the THAR. She inquired on the price and told me she would have a word with her husband to get this JEEP. I was speechless.

I know Bawaji you are silently smiling in the heavens up there
KkVaidya is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 19:30   #3588
AAD
BHPian

Continuing earlier discussion about my driving the Gypsy in 4H mode on wet highway roads, perhaps what might have also helped was that in those days (1989-1995) the roads were very bad and I dis a lot of driving on Mumbai Goa Highway (NH 17) which used to be really bad.

Driving on those bad stretches might have helped relieve driveline stresses.

Referring to Fortuner being Permanent Four wheel drive as against Pajero which offers the ability to select 2H whilst retaining the Center differential, my take is that there are stretches of poor grip on our highwyas that suddenly come up while driving at high speeds and in such instances, it helps if the vehicle has all wheel traction at all times.

In Pajero if you happen to be in 2H at that point in time, then one loses out on this advantage. But in mist other situations, Pajero benefits from better fuel efficiency.

Different philosophies at work from different manufacturers. As a consumer, one pick what appeals most to oneself
Old 1st September 2016, 16:38   #3589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomraven99 View Post
The new Dash has been partially installed on my Thar. Not at all complicated provided you have a good mechanic and electrician.

2}The AC vents are different and incompatible with the old one. The front panel of the blower assembly has to be removed/cut to fit the new dash. Some jugaad might be need on the front panel to divert air into the new dash vents.

Will update with the complete pictures later
Hi, I have a 2012 model Thar and have been following the dashboard upgrade project. Regarding the AC vents, the below post from BD sir,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Shivshanker - hello to you. It was indeed my pleasure to meet you during the VCCCI rally on Sunday! The reply to your above query is as follows:
3. Due to relocation of the instrument panel, Thar CRDe uses the combination blower outlet duct assembly made out of FRP to save tooling cost. Also, Thar CRDe uses flexible corrugated hoses to channel the cold air from the blower to the ducts.
Suggests that it may be easy to have the blower assembly modified to fit the new dashboard. have you made any progress on that?
Old 1st September 2016, 16:57   #3590
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Guys
How do you think a Thar or Gypsy will stand up to a Wrangler in a proper On Road and Off Road test in identical conditions?
Old 1st September 2016, 19:58   #3591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Guys
How do you think a Thar or Gypsy will stand up to a Wrangler in a proper On Road and Off Road test in identical conditions?
Disclaimer: Before you read my reply any further - I am a biased Thar owner.

Will the Thar and Gypsy stand up to it - of course they will. Take them to any offroad spot and am sure any good offroader will be able to do anything and everything with a Gypsy or a Thar or an old 550/540 whatever modded/unmodded Indian "Jeep" that the Wrangler can do. Twice the power and torque need not necessarily be better. The Wrangler Unlimited may be actually too big (wider and longer) to do a lot of trails the Gypsy and Thar will do easily. Wrangler may do better on trails that need a lot of power for specific climbs etc.

Give the Wrangler to a newbie and have him break something and get stranded. That is when the Thar and Gypsy will shine - you can get them repaired pretty much anywhere in the country and parts will be available as well (lot of known jugaad fixes available for Gypsies and Jeeps - probably not for the Wrangler in India yet)!

On the road maybe the Wrangler may have more power, better ride and better creature comforts, safety features and has an Automatic but that is anyway not the differentiating factor for a Jeep. Also let us not forget twice the better specs mean nothing when crawling side by side in Indian traffic. Of course crawling in traffic in the Wrangler will be better with climate control etc etc.

One of the FB posts I saw commented that for the (approx on road) price of the Jeep Wrangler of 86L one can buy and customize 1 Thar, 1 Isuzu V-Cross, 1 Gypsy, 1 Fortuner (or any other large SUV that has 4x4) and still have money left over ! Buy several vehicles you like that come with 4x4 instead of just 1 Wrangler. I would do that for sure if I had 86L to spend.
sjcherian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 20:33   #3592
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Also let us not forget twice the better specs mean nothing when crawling side by side in Indian traffic. Of course crawling in traffic in the Wrangler will be better with climate control etc etc.
Buy several vehicles you like that come with 4x4 instead of just 1 Wrangler. I would do that for sure if I had 86L to spend.
I guess the guys who buy the Wrangler in India will typically be the super well heeled "Poseurs" amongst the Jeeping public and not the real Jeeping public...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 20:41   #3593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshivaa View Post
Hi, I have a 2012 model Thar and have been following the dashboard upgrade project. Regarding the AC vents, the below post from BD sir,

Suggests that it may be easy to have the blower assembly modified to fit the new dashboard. have you made any progress on that?
The new Thar dashboard uses a single inlet to redirect air to the central and side vents unlike the old one.
This is the old blower assembly from a team bhp pic. Notice the vent projecting forward .That vent will have to be cut off or removed to fit the new dash.
Removal is easy by undoing 4 bolts and 2 screws. Then some jugaad has to be done to redirect air to the new dash inlet. Right now I am away on work so haven't had the time to look into it but I am sure its no big deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img2012022902420.jpg  

Old 2nd September 2016, 12:57   #3594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys
Similar to how a bullet and a Harley can be use for a 1000km highway ride. The bullet will get you there @70kmph and the Harley @90 kmph. Question is will anyone want to take a 80 lac jeep and mud plug or proper offroad without the fear of getting the shiny paint scratched or interiors muddy?

Sheer offroad performance wise I believe the Jeep will have a tad more ability compared to a Thar merely due to better components being used and slightly more equipment

Last edited by apachelongbow : 2nd September 2016 at 12:58.
Old 3rd September 2016, 10:24   #3595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys
Gypsy will have an edge on steep narrow Himalayan trails due to its narrower width. I have traveled on trails where a Gypsy barely fits, even Thar would be too wide.

Wrangler like Hummer is basically for open areas with wide trails, but not for narrow jungle/mountain work.
Old 8th September 2016, 23:03   #3596
BHPian

Mahindra gifts Thar to PV Sindhu and Sakshi Malik.

They are equipped with customised bits like modified bumpers, bull bars and snorkels.

Source : http://overdrive.in/news/mahindra-gi...-sakshi-malik/
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-olympicwinners_picture.jpg  

uday.ere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 00:35   #3597
BHPian

I was planning to upgrade the stock 235 HT tyres on my Thar. My usage pattern is 70% onroad and 30% offroad. But, I have decided on going for MT tyres since they offer the best performance offroad and I don't mind the accompanying onroad performance compromises.

I am planning on getting the Maxxis Bighorns 764. Since I am planning to retain the stock rims, is it advisable to go for 265/70/16 or the 245/75/16 MTs?
The circumference of the 265 section tyres is only 0.3% more than the 245s and 5.5% more than the stock 235/70/16 HTs.

P.S: My first priority is performance and grip offroad. Next comes comfort and driveability.
Old 18th September 2016, 09:16   #3598
KMT
BHPian

I have 255/65/16 AT on mine and is used on rural roads in Coorg. On full compression it touches fibre front fenders, it also causes pickup to be a bit lower.
With AT itself, high speed cornering and braking is affected. If you get MT and drive 70% on road you will feel the degradation in performance.
Buy a spare set of rims and keep both sets of tyres perhaps.

Last edited by KMT : 18th September 2016 at 09:18. Reason: Typo
Old 26th September 2016, 21:42   #3599
BHPian

The Thar DI gets the M2dicr engine so it can be sold in metro cities as well (for people who found the Thar CRDe too expensive and wanted a barebones 4x4)

Edit: Just got to know that this engine combo doesn't come with a 4x4. Maybe someone can confirm
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-image.jpeg  

Last edited by rahul4321 : 26th September 2016 at 21:48.
rahul4321 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 22:17   #3600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post

Edit: Just got to know that this engine combo doesn't come with a 4x4. Maybe someone can confirm
4x4 is optional in DI

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-thar.jpg

http://www.mahindrathar.com/mahindra...els/technology

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks