Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2018, 18:27   #3676
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

https://www.cartoq.com/anand-mahindr...n-kaala-video/

Quote:
Anand Mahindra, the bossman of Mahindra and Mahindra, had expressed his will to procure the Mahindra Thar used in the movie “Kaala Karikaalan” one year back. Anand Mahindra is collecting things that are related to Mahindra for Mahindra’s museum and the Mahindra Thar has become the latest addition to his collection. After requesting the producer of the movie, Dhanush, one year back on Twitter, Anand Mahindra announced today that he has finally got his hands on the Thar used in the movie.
Attached Images

Surprise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 19:01   #3677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShubhGo1987 View Post
Dear All,
I am new to this website and this is my first post. I am planning to buy a second hand Mahindra Thar CRDE 4X4. I am attaching herewith the pics of the vehicle as well. The vehicle has run 37,000 Km. and is customized as well. Please guide me as to what all things should i look to ensure that the Thar that I am buying does not turns out to be a nightmare for me
Sir,
to put it frankly the thar is too good looking to go mud plugging. Please keep her on tarmac only. The first off road trip will soil her irrecoverably.
Old 5th August 2018, 13:11   #3678
Senior - BHPian

Why is the peak torque achieved in Thar after you shift to 4x4L or 4L ?
Old 9th September 2018, 15:46   #3679

Hello TEAM BHPians,
I am planning to own a thar in a month's time. Just want to know is it worth to wait for any upcoming ( if any ) updates. Also please share your inputs right from booking to delivery of the same. Should I consider for hardtop (considering Chennai s extreme temperatures) , extended warranty, discounts (if any). Since this will be parked along side swift and fiesta, mostly will be for a weekend drive and times where Swift n fiesta can't go for.
Old 10th September 2018, 15:58   #3680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmr_ind View Post
Hello TEAM BHPians,
I am planning to own a thar in a month's time. Just want to know is it worth to wait for any upcoming ( if any ) updates. Also please share your inputs right from booking to delivery of the same. Should I consider for hardtop (considering Chennai s extreme temperatures) , extended warranty, discounts (if any). Since this will be parked along side swift and fiesta, mostly will be for a weekend drive and times where Swift n fiesta can't go for.
Congratulations on booking a Thar. The only sad part on Mahindra is they dont give any discounts on this vehicle. Not any that i have heard. Apart from that, no point in going for any extended warranty. This is a pretty tough vehicle and nothing happens unless you screw it big time.
Going for a hardtop is a purely personal choice. Once you are accustomed with the vehicle, then you need to analyse whether going for a hardtop is good or bad for you. There are no disadvantages of the hardtop apart from the ugly looks (95% of the makes available spoil the look) and high cost.
Old 17th September 2018, 16:39   #3681
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to own a thar in a month's time. Just want to know is it worth to wait for any upcoming ( if any ) updates. Also please share your inputs right from booking to delivery of the same. Should I consider for hardtop (considering Chennai s extreme temperatures) , extended warranty, discounts (if any).
Great that you want to go for the Thar. An upgrade is due but the jury is out on the extent of the update viz a viz the current looks and style. So if the current form is what you love, go for it.
Like KkVaidya has already mentioned there are no discounts as M&M still projects it's uniqueness and hence refuses to oblige with any discounts .

I would suggest that, if anything, the tires are the only thing that you can think of replacing/upgrading at the time of purchase, as later the exchange price falls drastically. With regards to rest of the things, you can take a call once you have enjoyed the vehicle raw. I had purchased my vehicle in March last year, and it is just awesome to own and drive. It's the 4-wheeled counterpart of the Royal Enfield .

Happy motoring.

Last edited by ampere : 17th September 2018 at 17:08. Reason: formatted quoted post
Old 18th September 2018, 22:27   #3682
BHPian

Quote:
Hello TEAM BHPians,
There is indeed a buzz going on that a new Thar is due for launch. Its been heard that the new Thar will have a longer wheel base, refined engine and a much plusher ride out on the highway. I am also in line with you to buy a Thar and in the same dilemma which prompted me to reply. If you playing to buy the Thar for pure off-roading then, I would suggest you to buy it now. However if you want the Thar for a lifestyle drive then I would suggest you to wait. Following are the reasons I have accumulated -
1) The new Thar might have a longer wheelbase, which means more stability and a better ride.
2) The new Thar will have a new engine which will be more refined, more fuel efficient and will be much smoother at high speeds
3) The new Thar will be aimed at all drivers, which means not only for off-roaders. The ride quality will be much plusher in the highway.
4) The present Thar does not have any safety measures. The new one will cater to the present safety norms, which is a much required uplift.

Now coming to the mods. I personally feel the tyres require immediate upgrade. I am a big fan of Maxxis. Upgrading to a nice hardtop looks like an intelligent move for Chennai weather (Heat + Rain). However do not go with the local guys and do not do any underpaddings at the beginning. I personally am in talks with Bimbra and have seen some of their mods in flesh. They last and look good.

Also the trick is wait for the new Thar launch and then buy the old one as I am sure they will give a huge discount on the old ones. The present Thar does not look bad at all. Its a man thing !
mads2849 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 00:23   #3683
BHPian

Friends I want to know when was the last the upgrade of Thar. Actually, i am looking for a second hand Thar. I am looking for 2014 model onwards. So I would like to ask, is post 2014 model better or post 2015?
I have a very limited knowledge about Thar. I am still doing research to discover and learn more about it. Thanks for your guidance
Old 20th September 2018, 03:08   #3684

Thanks kkvaidya, as you said I hardly find any hard top attractive or enhance the look of THAR. Will dig in deep to find one.

Ofcourse i do love the current form of THAR, but was wondering if new model is available with hardtop it would be a wise decision since it will be a factory fitted one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mads2849 View Post
There is indeed a buzz going on that a new Thar is due for launch. Its been heard that the new Thar will have a longer wheel base, refined engine and a much plusher ride out on the highway. I am also in line with you to buy a Thar and in the same dilemma which prompted me to reply. If you playing to buy the Thar for pure off-roading then, I would suggest you to buy it now. However if you want the Thar for a lifestyle drive then I would suggest you to wait. Following are the reasons I have accumulated -
1) The new Thar might have a longer wheelbase, which means more stability and a better ride.
2) The new Thar will have a new engine which will be more refined, more fuel efficient and will be much smoother at high speeds
3) The new Thar will be aimed at all drivers, which means not only for off-roaders. The ride quality will be much plusher in the highway.
4) The present Thar does not have any safety measures. The new one will cater to the present safety norms, which is a much required uplift.

Now coming to the mods. I personally feel the tyres require immediate upgrade. I am a big fan of Maxxis. Upgrading to a nice hardtop looks like an intelligent move for Chennai weather (Heat + Rain). However do not go with the local guys and do not do any underpaddings at the beginning. I personally am in talks with Bimbra and have seen some of their mods in flesh. They last and look good.

Also the trick is wait for the new Thar launch and then buy the old one as I am sure they will give a huge discount on the old ones. The present Thar does not look bad at all. Its a man thing !
No mads2849, I am not into pure off roading, so as you said better wait n watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Congratulations on booking a Thar. The only sad part on Mahindra is they dont give any discounts on this vehicle. Not any that i have heard. Apart from that, no point in going for any extended warranty. This is a pretty tough vehicle and nothing happens unless you screw it big time.
Going for a hardtop is a purely personal choice. Once you are accustomed with the vehicle, then you need to analyse whether going for a hardtop is good or bad for you. There are no disadvantages of the hardtop apart from the ugly looks (95% of the makes available spoil the look) and high cost.
Thanks kkvaidya, as you said hardly I find any hard top that enhances the look of THAR. Think this hard top is somewhat attractive to me.

[b]NOTE FROM MOD : Please do not do back to back posts. Use multi quote feature when replying to multiple people

Last edited by tsk1979 : 20th September 2018 at 03:54. Reason: Back to back merge
Old 20th September 2018, 21:20   #3685
BHPian

Quote:
There is indeed a buzz going on that a new Thar is due for launch. ...............Also the trick is wait for the new Thar launch and then buy the old one as I am sure they will give a huge discount on the old ones. The present Thar does not look bad at all. Its a man thing !
The current model of the Thar looks very good!!!!! I do hope that the 'new' Thar is designed on the same lines, but with all the enhancements that you mentioned.

As regards waiting for the new Thar, I believe that the wait is going to be quite long.... at least another year, at the least. The launch will be timed to coincide with the new safety norms kicking in, viz 2020
Old 20th September 2018, 21:47   #3686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
The current model of the Thar looks very good!!!!! I do hope that the 'new' Thar is designed on the same lines, but with all the enhancements that you mentioned.

As regards waiting for the new Thar, I believe that the wait is going to be quite long.... at least another year, at the least. The launch will be timed to coincide with the new safety norms kicking in, viz 2020
True that ! Actually I too think I will not be able to wait that long. Adding to our point I feel Mahindra will not dare fiddle with the design, however they will just adhere to the norms and add the features. A longer wheel base, a tweaked suspension and some safety features like airbags, abs and ebd will be much desirable.

I have already finalised the Mods and I am looking to get it done mid of next year. Just can't wait nemore
Old 21st September 2018, 10:42   #3687
BHPian

Quote:
True that ! Actually I too think I will not be able to wait that long. Adding to our point I feel Mahindra will not dare fiddle with the design, however they will just adhere to the norms and add the features. A longer wheel base, a tweaked suspension and some safety features like airbags, abs and ebd will be much desirable.

I have already finalised the Mods and I am looking to get it done mid of next year. Just can't wait nemore
Congrats on your decision to bite the bullet and purchase the current edition of the Thar. Do share with us on the forum the mods that you undertake.

However, I don't share your optimism that M&M will not dare fiddle with the design. Sometimes the old adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' is not fully appreciated. Especially by automobile design engineers.

But I do hope that the powers that be realise that the popularity of the current version is to a great extent because of the classic look. Which, in turn, allows the company the luxury of not offering any discounts.
Zezé is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 18:05   #3688
BHPian

Quote:
Ofcourse i do love the current form of THAR, but was wondering if new model is available with hardtop it would be a wise decision since it will be a factory fitted one
Quote:
I do not see any new model of Thar which will have the current looks and dimensions. If at all they decide to call it 'THAR' it will not look like the current one as engine bay dimensions and other aggregates has the best engine possible at present. Getting in a different powerplant in the same design is VERY difficult.
Once the new safety norms kick in; either Mahindra stops manufacturing the present model or brings in a new model which will not look anywhere near the present model.
Now you decide if you want to wait for a new model or buy the current one which is still a fantastic product.

On the tyres, i would beg to differ slightly. If you are going to use it 90% of the time cruising on highways, then the stock Bridgestones are the best. Believe me - My vehicle is close to 50,000kms. I have had the stock Bridgestones then changed it to Maxxis Bravo AT 255 sections and used them for 30,000kms. Then again changed to Yokohama Geolandar ATS 235 section (at present) and my opinion is that if you do a lot of high speed cruising - Bridgestone HT are best, if you do city driving at speeds under 60kmph and some offroading, go for STOCK size AT tires. Only put wider or MT tyres if you plan to use it for offroading. Otherwise you will have bad ride quality and waste your money (i wasted that is why)

If you want to buy a used one, go for models after 2013 which has factory fitted AC. The new refresh (the current avatar) was launched in 2015 is also good except the gaudy looking bumpers and fender flares.
Old 26th September 2018, 00:59   #3689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
I do not see any new model of Thar which will have the current looks and dimensions. If at all they decide to call it 'THAR' it will not look like the current one as engine bay dimensions and other aggregates has the best engine possible at present. Getting in a different powerplant in the same design is VERY difficult.
Once the new safety norms kick in; either Mahindra stops manufacturing the present model or brings in a new model which will not look anywhere near the present model.
Now you decide if you want to wait for a new model or buy the current one which is still a fantastic product.

On the tyres, i would beg to differ slightly. If you are going to use it 90% of the time cruising on highways, then the stock Bridgestones are the best. Believe me - My vehicle is close to 50,000kms. I have had the stock Bridgestones then changed it to Maxxis Bravo AT 255 sections and used them for 30,000kms. Then again changed to Yokohama Geolandar ATS 235 section (at present) and my opinion is that if you do a lot of high speed cruising - Bridgestone HT are best, if you do city driving at speeds under 60kmph and some offroading, go for STOCK size AT tires. Only put wider or MT tyres if you plan to use it for offroading. Otherwise you will have bad ride quality and waste your money (i wasted that is why)

If you want to buy a used one, go for models after 2013 which has factory fitted AC. The new refresh (the current avatar) was launched in 2015 is also good except the gaudy looking bumpers and fender flares.
I fully agree with you. The bigger the tyre the worse will be the ride. However I feel the stock tyres look very ponny and does go with the butch look of the Thar. I need a suggestion from you. I will do a lot of highway cruising and also will take my Thar to hills in NE. Now driving in hills cannot be termed as offroading but yes the turmac will be rough n uneven. I need a plush n composed ride out on the highway. But at the same time, I need fatter (Not Bigger wheels). So which brand and hat size will be best for me. Also HT or AT please? This question seems a little foolish cos you already explained that HT will be more smoother. But still as I will be doing 10% hill drive, should I opt for AT?
Old 26th September 2018, 09:53   #3690
BHPian

Quote:
I will do a lot of highway cruising and also will take my Thar to hills in NE. Now driving in hills cannot be termed as offroading but yes the turmac will be rough n uneven. I need a plush n composed ride out on the highway. But at the same time, I need fatter (Not Bigger wheels). So which brand and hat size will be best for me. Also HT or AT please? This question seems a little foolish cos you already explained that HT will be more smoother. But still as I will be doing 10% hill drive, should I opt for AT?
Pl. go for stock size (235/70R16) AT tyres. They will provide a better cushion on rough roads but at the cost of tire noise at speeds above 70kmph - and you already have the canopy noise . Check with stock tires before you plunge for AT as i still feel they are the best compromise between high speed driving and rough roads. The only downside is the looks.
Also one thing i forgot to mention is that the new canopy design is worse when it comes to flapping noise as there is only Velcro strips on the sides. The old design has 4 bolts which you can tighten to reduce the noise. Last month i replaced the canopy as it was 4 years old and had seen a lot of abuse so i checked both the new and old design. Finally settled for the old design as it is better suited for a silent ride. Mine does not flap till above 85kmph.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks