Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2020, 08:47   #3751
Senior - BHPian

Re: Keeping old Thars on the Road

Look at how many decades it took for old mahindra jeeps to face this issue and even now you have some thousands of them still doing duty.

Thar has a substantial aftermarket for filters etc, and parts availability hasn't gone down at all. I doubt you'll have to run to the Mayapuri junkyard or old US Army warehouses in the North East for your ride anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
1.) How long can an original Thar owner expect to get parts and service EASILY for his original Thar?

2.) Given its obsolescence, what will be the resale value of these original Thars now that the new model Thar is launched?
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 08:08   #3752
BHPian

Re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

My long running wish came true. I bought a 2013 Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4 model. Came with soft top and basic stock fittings. The odo has been 39K and well maintained. Hardly to complain about. The Ac knob has broken which I think is not too much of a problem to get it fixed(hopefully).

Few things I wanted to check with owners in the group.

This model is with manual windows. I usually drive solo. I feel not able to open driver side window is a limitation. Planning to go for power windows fitments if possible. Any suggestions?

I see some photos of interior having cup holder and nice cover near the gear levers, does it make a difference? Is it an aftermarket fittings?
abacusv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 08:10   #3753
BHPian

Oops forgot to upload the images. Here it is.

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-whatsapp-image-20210220-8.05.09-am.jpeg

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-whatsapp-image-20210220-8.05.47-am.jpeg

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-whatsapp-image-20210220-8.06.16-am.jpeg

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-whatsapp-image-20210216-2.06.14-pm.jpeg
abacusv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 12:12   #3754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacusv View Post
Oops forgot to upload the images. Here it is.
Congratulations on the new acquisition

I believe I may have seen this on OLX, but I am not sure.

If you do not mind, would you let us know the asking price and what you ultimately ended up paying for it?

Also, how did you get the car checked out before buying?

Thanks and cheers
Old 20th February 2021, 12:34   #3755
BHPian

Quote:
The Ac knob has broken which I think is not too much of a problem to get it fixed(hopefully).

This model is with manual windows. I usually drive solo. I feel not able to open driver side window is a limitation. Planning to go for power windows fitments if possible. Any suggestions?

I see some photos of interior having cup holder and nice cover near the gear levers, does it make a difference? Is it an aftermarket fittings?
You can source the AC knob easily from ASC or boodmo.com

I would suggest to keep manual winders as aftermarket power windows may sometimes act funny or stop working (usually with glass down). Still if you want to then go for SAI.

The expedition dashboard did come with a cup holder and gear shroud but too expensive. See if you can source used.

Your vehicle looks smart but the aftermarket alloys jut out in the front which spoils the whole look to otherwise a clean shape
Old 20th February 2021, 14:41   #3756
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You have got a neat vehicle in there , it probably don't need any mods. You could get a set of front fender flares from the refresh model to take care of the offset alloy wheels. The rear bumper as well can be changed to the refresh model, throw the wheel cap away from the spare wheel, add one more alloy to the spare and it's done. Enjoy the drive for sometimes and then you will have more clarity in terms of what mods you need.

Spend the money initially on getting the vehicle in best mechanical shape, drive it around for a few months afterwards you can get into any mods as needed.
Old 21st February 2021, 16:19   #3757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
You have got a neat vehicle in there , it probably don't need any mods. You could get a set of front fender flares from the refresh model to take care of the offset alloy wheels.
Great thanks. Anyone have any contacts in Bangalore for fenders? I think its needed, the splash is spreading all over the jeep.
Old 21st February 2021, 23:11   #3758
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Great thanks. Anyone have any contacts in Bangalore for fenders? I think its needed, the splash is spreading all over the jeep.
You can get it from the dealer itself (order ahead) or boodmo app, it lists one of them but the other side seems to be either out stock or they have some error in the app, try contacting them once.

Alternatively, you can try Prestige automobiles in JC road, you may have to place an order ahead.
Old 1st March 2021, 19:27   #3759
Senior - BHPian

Need suggestions on few things I have in mind.

1. Rear tail lamps look out of place especially with the hard top. I had something like these in my mind: https://www.amazon.in/JTI-Bold-Wrang.../dp/B072LXV8K4
But these don't have indicators. My mech suggested installing a separate indicator, possibly just below these lamps by drilling new holes. I couldn't find just the indicators/amber lights that will suit the "look". All other Wrangler style tail lamps with indicators need body cutting. Isn't there a LED tail lamp that is simple plug and play WITH indicators for this Thar?

2. Did anyone install high mounted tail lamps near the roof line? Indicators mentioned in point #1 could very well go here. But again I didn't find simple, square, LED lights locally. Ordered from eBay only to get the order refunded because "shipping partners to India" had ceased their operations (China to India). I am now unable to find square LED lights in amber and red (2 inch by 2 inch ideally not more than 3 inches). With all the LED this, LED that I thought this would be one simple task but boy was I wrong.
Old 1st March 2021, 21:52   #3760
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Need suggestions on few things I have in mind.
In this wrangler style light , is the whole thing LED? If the reverse light is normal bulb you can install an amber bulb in there and make it the indicator. Install an LED fog lamp separately near the footstep and wire into the reverse, makes it easy to reverse the vehicle in the middle of nowhere.

One warning though.

Choose a good electrician, a short during this mod can put the vehicle into limp home mode and will need a visit to the service center to clear the codes. Don't ask me how do I know
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 00:38   #3761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In this wrangler style light , is the whole thing LED? If the reverse light is normal bulb you can install an amber bulb in there and make it the indicator. Install an LED fog lamp separately near the footstep and wire into the reverse, makes it easy to reverse the vehicle in the middle of nowhere.

One warning though.

Choose a good electrician, a short during this mod can put the vehicle into limp home mode and will need a visit to the service center to clear the codes. Don't ask me how do I know
Yes all lights are LED. Unfortunately. That would have been a great hack! I do have a pair of fog lights sitting idle.

Yes the guy who will be doing the work is trustworthy. Hopefully he keeps his reputation after this
Old 9th March 2021, 15:39   #3762
Senior - BHPian

HT installation is done. Painful but at least it hasn't leaked and doesn't squeak. Yet. Fingers crossed. Wouldn't recommending doing it at home unless you are a sucker for pain and frustration.
I did some improvisation over the original, especially the way it is bolt onto the body. I feel, in the end, very satisfied.

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-p3077549.jpg
amol4184 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 16:23   #3763
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
HT installation is done. Painful but at least it hasn't leaked and doesn't squeak. Yet. Fingers crossed. Wouldn't recommending doing it at home unless you are a sucker for pain and frustration.
I did some improvisation over the original, especially the way it is bolt onto the body. I feel, in the end, very satisfied.
Looks Super cool and no doubt much more practical. I think we can do with more pictures please.

Improvisation is good, I keep thinking of ways to add \ remove things as I see certain tastefully done vehicles. Right now I want Hella lights like you have!!
Old 9th March 2021, 19:09   #3764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks Super cool and no doubt much more practical. I think we can do with more pictures please.

Improvisation is good, I keep thinking of ways to add \ remove things as I see certain tastefully done vehicles. Right now I want Hella lights like you have!!
Definitely! I will click some detailed pics. This was the first outing after the HT. I do have a minor change in mind: the red metal frame surrounding the windshield to be painted black to make that windshield unit look flush. Saw it in some post on IG was immediately liked it!
Those Hellas are good functional addition too and compliment low beam well unlike some of the light bars. I need to fabricate grille for them. The OEM Hella grille set was Rs. 3500. Not going to spend that much when lights themselves were Rs 4500
Old 9th March 2021, 19:20   #3765
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Definitely! I will click some detailed pics. This was the first outing after the HT. I do have a minor change in mind: the red metal frame surrounding the windshield to be painted black to make that windshield unit look flush. Saw it in some post on IG was immediately liked it!
Those Hellas are good functional addition too and compliment low beam well unlike some of the light bars. I need to fabricate grille for them. The OEM Hella grille set was Rs. 3500. Not going to spend that much when lights themselves were Rs 4500
The pain it is to maintain black paint has kept me away from painting the windshield frame black, I have thought about it and like you said it would look really cool.

Hella lights are definitely worth the money spent, in Bangalore sometimes cops have a problem with open aux lights so only option is to keep them covered and then risk losing the expensive cover with classic hella logo on it :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks