Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2015, 16:38   #3421
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Is our THAR equipped with EGR (Exhaust Gas Re-circulation) Valve? If yes, has anyone bypassed it and found any difference in performance of the vehicle?
Old 26th November 2015, 18:00   #3422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Is our THAR equipped with EGR (Exhaust Gas Re-circulation) Valve? If yes, has anyone bypassed it and found any difference in performance of the vehicle?
Hi,

Yes, the Thar CRDE and the Di is equipped with an EGR. And yes, performance is better bypassing it.
Old 26th November 2015, 18:16   #3423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi,

Yes, the Thar CRDE and the Di is equipped with an EGR. And yes, performance is better bypassing it.
How to?
I guess that will also require a slight re-map of the ECU to keep the warning light off.
Old 6th January 2016, 09:33   #3424
BHPian

Dear BHPians, I have a 19 year old MM550 which i use for my towing business and to pull a 3000 ltr water tanker to my grand parents farm house outside the city. Jeep has been my prime source of bread and butter and now started to show signs of weakness after the recent Chennai floods, Off late cops are against pulling vehicles in city during the day time traffic, so i've decided to go for a small flat bed truck for business, however i still need jeep to pull the water tank to my grand parents. I've tried with few so called SUV's like Tavera, Ecosport, Sumo, Quanto, Bolero and Scorpio. Except scorpio all the other burnt the clutch 2 trips, the Bolero was way to sluggish. Scorpio was ok but it does not give more than 6 kms while towing (its because i have to rev above 2500 rpm for every gear shift) and the new 4X4 costs 14+ grands (totally out of budget). After so many years of usage i prefer to go for Thar. My friend has the Di version which is very sluggish to tow in the city. Just want to understand has any of the Thar CRDE owners ever attempted to tow and if so what is the fuel efficiency they managed to get out of it. And what is the fuel efficiency on normal city and highway driving conditions.
Old 6th January 2016, 12:16   #3425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living2Drive View Post
...Just want to understand has any of the Thar CRDE owners ever attempted to tow and if so what is the fuel efficiency they managed to get out of it. And what is the fuel efficiency on normal city and highway driving conditions.
The chassis of the Thar CRDe is not designed for towing, kindly avoid, lest you damage the chassis (and the drive train) for good!
cpbopanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 12:28   #3426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians, I have a 19 year old MM550 which i use for my towing business and to pull a 3000 ltr water tanker to my grand parents farm house outside the city. Jeep has been my prime source of bread and butter and now started to show signs of weakness after the recent Chennai floods, Off late cops are against pulling vehicles in city during the day time traffic, so i've decided to go for a small flat bed truck for business, however i still need jeep to pull the water tank to my grand parents. I've tried with few so called SUV's like Tavera, Ecosport, Sumo, Quanto, Bolero and Scorpio. Except scorpio all the other burnt the clutch 2 trips, the Bolero was way to sluggish. Scorpio was ok but it does not give more than 6 kms while towing (its because i have to rev above 2500 rpm for every gear shift) and the new 4X4 costs 14+ grands (totally out of budget). After so many years of usage i prefer to go for Thar. My friend has the Di version which is very sluggish to tow in the city. Just want to understand has any of the Thar CRDE owners ever attempted to tow and if so what is the fuel efficiency they managed to get out of it. And what is the fuel efficiency on normal city and highway driving conditions.
3000 liters water tank implies a towing capacity of at least 3.25 tons. That is a lot, as most SUV are not designed for this.

You can search the net for towing capacity of vehicles available in India and decide what will suit you best. What you need is the old style NA diesel with good low end torque. Modern CRDI engines are designed for high speed travel and not low speed grunt. That is why the the MM550 tows effortlessly.

By the way, unless you are facing off road conditions, you do not need 4x4 for towing, just low RPM torque in a normal 4x2 will do.

http://www.onlinetowingguide.com/gui...apacities.html

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto...apacity-1.aspx
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 13:12   #3427
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes i have blanked the same, this plus cat con removal plus remap makes the engine super refined and rev like crazy. Emission test i have done and is well within the limits.

Quote:
How to?
I guess that will also require a slight re-map of the ECU to keep the warning light off.
Not very sure since i did the remap when i blanked the EGR.

Quote:
Dear BHPians, I have a 19 year old MM550 which i use for my towing business and to pull a 3000 ltr water tanker to my grand parents farm house outside the city.
====
Just want to understand has any of the Thar CRDE owners ever attempted to tow and if so what is the fuel efficiency they managed to get out of it. And what is the fuel efficiency on normal city and highway driving conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
3000 liters water tank implies a towing capacity of at least 3.25 tons. That is a lot, as most SUV are not designed for this.
A tractor might be also a better option right? Crde am sure the clutch will burn off in no time.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 13:39   #3428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...My friend has the Di version which is very sluggish to tow in the city. ..
If you have found the MM540 to be ok in towing, then the Thar Di should be faar superior in almost every aspect. Even Fuel Efficiency. Get the 4x4 version, so that you wont burn the clutch on inclines.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 19:29   #3429
BHPian

Quote:

Wait for the Isuzu Dmax 2.5 (5 seater)which would be launched around Jun'16 and will have a 3.5 Ton towing capacity.
Old 6th January 2016, 20:37   #3430
BHPian

Quote:
If you want to do pure towing get a Bolero Camper 4WD variant. It will serve your purpose of towing.

Between the two Thars, I would pick the Di simply due to lower maintenance costs and high low end torque availability. It is not a scorcher on the road but will is definitely more robust than the Crde. Now it comes with a power steering as well.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 16:55   #3431
BHPian

hello Jeepers,
Please pardon my ignorance.
I have a few questions.
What is the exact difference between a MM550 and MM540 ?
Why was the MM550 production stopped ?
I see that the MM Thar is an updated 540 , is that true ?
Can someone throw light on this.
Well i found that info while searching for a Reg No. of an THAR Ad for sale in Quikr Hyderabad location. The number was AP28DX2811
Pls chk the URL below.
https://aptransport.in/APCFSTONLINE/...ionSearch.aspx
Old 15th February 2016, 11:35   #3432

Hello Fellow Jeepers,

I am in the verge of Buying Mahindra Thar 2011 model. I need your inputs on certain points which I am totally confused.

The vehicle is run around 80,000 Kms - What might be the maintenance cost or any replacement costs which might be due for the vehicle ?

What is the expected engine Life, considering it might have been used abusively?

The price seller is quoting is 5 Lakhs without any extra fittings.

I drove the vehicle, the engine is smooth and refined.

Is there anything else I should look out for before proceeding ahead with the deal.

Is it worth buying for the price quoted.

I have very poor knowledge about Jeeps, or Mahindra's. Need your inputs and advice

Regards,
Rohith
Old 15th February 2016, 17:45   #3433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohith99 View Post
Hello Fellow Jeepers,

I am in the verge of Buying Mahindra Thar 2011 model. I need your inputs on certain points which I am totally confused.

The vehicle is run around 80,000 Kms - What might be the maintenance cost or any replacement costs which might be due for the vehicle ?

What is the expected engine Life, considering it might have been used abusively?

The price seller is quoting is 5 Lakhs without any extra fittings.

I drove the vehicle, the engine is smooth and refined.

Is there anything else I should look out for before proceeding ahead with the deal.

Is it worth buying for the price quoted.

I have very poor knowledge about Jeeps, or Mahindra's. Need your inputs and advice

Regards,
Rohith
5 Lakhs for a 2011 model is quite OK. Expected life of this engine is 1,50,000kms minimum even under abusive usage. In fact the engine can last longer but other support systems like turbo may need to be looked at.
Being a 2011 model, it should be a non-ac vehicle
Old 15th February 2016, 17:59   #3434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged View Post
hello Jeepers,
Please pardon my ignorance.
I have a few questions.
What is the exact difference between a MM550 and MM540 ?
Engine:
540: Peugeot XDP 4.9 engine (62 bhp)
550: DX3P engine (72 bhp)

Gearbox: KMT 90 on both (excluding 2005 and later model 550 with 5 speed)
Chassis: same for both (excluding 2003 and later model 550 with NGCS)

Body: almost same

Brake:
540: all drum brake without brake booster
550: front disc and rear drum with booster

Steering: same for both (excluding 2003 and later model 550 with NGCS)

Diffs:
540: front FFFA with drum brakes and rear is SFRA
Non NGCS 550: front FFFA with disc brakes and rear SFRA with LSD
NGCS 550: front OKBJ with disc brakes and rear is FFRA

These are the major differences I can think of at the moment.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 23:37   #3435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yes i have blanked the same, this plus cat con removal plus remap makes the engine super refined and rev like crazy. Emission test i have done and is well within the limits.

Not very sure since i did the remap when i blanked the EGR.

Even I am looking to improve the perfomance of my Thar Crde. Where have you got the remap done and your feedback regarding it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks