Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2011, 13:21   #1696
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Here's a straight question regarding the Thar:

Currently the dif ratio is 4.3 right. Why is it not recommended to change to 5.38 or 4.88 to improve crawl ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
The tooth strength of the Hypoid gear set (5.38) is less.
Spike
Ok - But one can improve the tooth strength by treating the gears right? What numbers are you looking at for the gears tooth? 60 HRC?

The part that worries me is the data set on the THAR is for 4.3. So how will you get it to work for 5.38, unless you do the "DB Stuff"

BTW, even the "DB Stuff" is not recommended on that machine as it virtually has no brake (support system such as EBD and ABS).

A silly LSPV aint do the job here.

A possible way that i can think of is to have a different data set for crawling when required, IIRC, this was discussed with my friend vinu and spikey at Avalaconda 2011.
Old 12th May 2011, 13:47   #1697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Ok - But one can improve the tooth strength by treating the gears right? What numbers are you looking at for the gears tooth? 60 HRC?

The part that worries me is the data set on the THAR is for 4.3. So how will you get it to work for 5.38, unless you do the "DB Stuff"

BTW, even the "DB Stuff" is not recommended on that machine as it virtually has no brake (support system such as EBD and ABS).

A silly LSPV aint do the job here.

A possible way that i can think of is to have a different data set for crawling when required, IIRC, this was discussed with my friend vinu and spikey at Avalaconda 2011.
I do not think that treating the gears to increase surface hardness will increase their tooth strength much. Normally treatment will toughen the outer skin to be more abrasion resistant but the basic strength of the tooth remains same, so a higher torque will damage the teeth. What is required to take more torque, is either better metallurgy (which I doubt any one will go in for), or more thickness, in which case the whole assembly is redesigned and becomes bigger. Then there is axle strength required to take additional torque. In short the whole drive train - propeller shaft, gears, axles and wheel bearing have to be designed as a whole system, else you will end up breaking one component or the other, as we often see in our trucks, where they will over load, use higher ply rating tyres, use more leaves in spring and end up with either a broken axle or a busted differential, and at times broken universal joint (cross) on the propeller shaft.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 16:06   #1698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janjua View Post
Mahindra Thar is the epitome of driving pleasure.
There might be umpteen posts regarding the vehicle, pro or otherwise, I don't care (actually I do).
The divine pleasure that one derives while driving the Thar is beyond comprehension.
Thar rules, period. I am sure fellow owners feel the same.
But, having said that, I am not averse to any new positive development in the vehicle that augurs well for it in the future.
Let us all hope that the Thar evolves into a run away super-duper success in the coming days, only if the higher echelons in M&M listen to what the current Thar owners have to say about the vehicle.
PS- email address hi nahin milta M&M Bosses ka. Tweet kar ke bhi dekh liya. No jawaab.
Good to hear you are loving your THAR so much. No stress on the email id. i have tweeted you.
Old 13th May 2011, 19:43   #1699
BHPian

Enjoy driving this great machine. Unfortunately damaged the fender in unlikely location (pic attached), what is recommended, change of fender or tinkering?
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-thar-damage-3.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-thar-damage-2.jpg  

Old 13th May 2011, 20:15   #1700
Team-BHP Support

Its a jeep should not be costly, go ahead and replace it since its a tear. How did this happen?
Old 13th May 2011, 20:29   #1701
Team-BHP Support

Maybe you can get a fabricator to install a clamp. Use that clamp for fixing a directional light. Will come in handy during OTR's.

bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 21:27   #1702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Its a jeep should not be costly, go ahead and replace it since its a tear. How did this happen?
scrapped into iron clad protector in the apartment basement. failed to notice the protector extension rods had come off and shifted position
Old 14th May 2011, 15:11   #1703
Senior - BHPian

I saw a Pune registered (MH 14) Thar today at Aundh. I had a small chat with the owner who said his was one of the first Thars in Pune. It was bought through Sahyadri Motors. He has now covered 1000 km and is quite happy with the Thar.

One thing though, he said his Thar had already covered around 330 km when he first saw it at the dealer's stockyard. I remember that it was mentioned that the Thar CRDes are taken to the dealers in container trucks and Thar DIs are driven to the dealer. However with 330 km on the odo, it looks this Thar was driven down to Pune from Nashik.
Old 15th May 2011, 13:55   #1704

With keen interest to see/make up my mind to buy the Thar, visited M&M dealer in Trivandrum, unfortunately, i was told there was no Thar avilable to test drive at either of the dealers in kerala. closest avilable to view or test drive would be in Bangalore or Chennai ( if lucky). Flew in 4000kms with the hope of test driving this jeep. Sale team dint have much info to share on a/c provision.
Old 17th May 2011, 12:59   #1705
Senior - BHPian

Here is some interesting info. I'm not very sure if my calculation is correct though.

As per the T-BHP April Sales thread, the Bolero sold 7345 units in April 2011.

I have a figure with me which is for Bolero + all soft tops for April 2011 (domestic sale) = 7428.

From this the difference is 83 units for all soft tops !... and the Thar is included in this.
Old 17th May 2011, 23:43   #1706
BHPian

Hi,

Would anyone know at what RPM in the Thar does the turbo kick in.I seem to get a bit of stalling at the first & second gears below 2000rpm.

If I travel in the first or second gear at a notch below or even at 2000 rpm the vehicle stalls.It feels like a loss of power or maybe fuel supply not adequate at low rpm's.

This does not happen always happen but atleast once in three attempts.This is with more than half a tank of diesel im my vehicle at all times.

I did take it to the workshop and they said it was some kind of airlock and everything is fine.They did some checks using the laptop and said everything is fine.

Need some help or suggestions as I am a little worried and hope nothings wrong with the ECM,engine or fuel line.

Regards,

Vijay
Old 18th May 2011, 21:04   #1707
Team-BHP Support

Did you do the recall work done for the fuel tank? And i never felt any stalls at low rpm when i did my test drive.
Old 18th May 2011, 22:10   #1708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_k2001 View Post
Hi,

Would anyone know at what RPM in the Thar does the turbo kick in.I seem to get a bit of stalling at the first & second gears below 2000rpm.

...... or fuel line.

Regards,

Vijay
@Vijay, I feel the turbo kicking in at around 1900rpm. Check with the dealership if they have looked at the fuel line/tank issue in your Thar. Few Thars were called back to the dealership for fixing this FoC.

But your problem does not sound to be related to that issue. But I am no expert in this. Check out with Spike/DB Sir if dealership is not able to resolve.

Regards
Old 18th May 2011, 22:31   #1709
BHPian

Hi Vijay,

There seems to be some issue with your vehicle. Till date none of the other Thar owners have encountered such a problem.
Turbo or no turbo, the vehicle should not stall in any gear whatsoever.
BD Sir, Spike please help.

Regards.
Old 19th May 2011, 01:55   #1710
BHPian

I will follow up the stalling issue with BD Sir and Spike.

Can you'll also check if you'll have this problem.i.e the metal exposed below the rear mudguard as shown in my images.The dealership told me that this is the case with all Thars so I just need to confirm the same.If yes then this is the first place that is going to rust and we need to resolve this asap.

Regards,

Vijay
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-metal_exposed_area.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-metal_exposed_zoomed_in.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks