Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2011, 22:17   #1756
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post

Spikearrester can take our petitions, not sure if anyone else in MM would listen to him or us.

Foresee it in a Garage next to you.
Spike arrestor might be traveling to outer space soon. So start badgering nookala instead.
Old 22nd June 2011, 23:05   #1757
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
If I recall correctly - you were waiting for a FF AC. I am aware that the FF is not going to happen any time soon. However was wondering if you have any information on the price / time line expected for the dealer fitter AC on the Thar. Are the M&M dealers in Hyd more aware than the Blr dealers.
Yes you are quite right, the only reason I delayed my purchase since its launch was the desire to have a FF AC. I knew BD and team had sorted out the AC for the car so I had hoped marketing would push for its early introduction. But I understand it may be a while before its offered as a factory option.

It was my recent trip to Kashmir that really helped me decide to go ahead. I love travelling in India and I want an open car. My most memorable drive in recent times was when I drove from Bangalore to Kurnool top down in my CJ3B clipping at a steady 80 kmph. It was magical. I love open air motoring and the top on my CJ3b is forever down, unless it rains. Therefore the Thar too will be stripped of its top and kept completely open. I'll have a small bikini top for that sudden shower you may encounter.

In a year's time I should think a/c fitment at dealer's end should be a routine procedure with no grey areas. I'll install the a/c before next summer. Until then the monsoon season and winter should be most enjoyable top down.

I don't think the Hyd dealers are any more aware than the Blr ones but I can find out more details on pricing etc here and I'll chat up some of the workshop guys to see if they have understood BD's SOP on ac fitment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Congratz DKG! Its an excellent vehicle for your touring needs. M&M has sent out circulars to dealers on some recall so hopefully the critical niggles are already sorted out in your vehicle when it is delivered. Looking forward to a ownership experience from a true gentleman offroader
I plan to turn it into my go anywhere expedition vehicle Jaggu. Kit it up with all the essentials so that I can start doing those Himalayan road trips. I am buying this car purely so that I can explore the Himalayas, and ofcourse take part in exciting OTR's around the country.

You know as I toured Kashmir in MPV's or SUV's most of the time I wanted to chop the darn roof off so that I could take more of the stunning vista in. That's what made me want the Thar asap. For a nature buff an open 4x4 is pure nirvana.

I am glad cars are being recalled to fix glitches. Its actually a healthy sign when a mfg does that.
Old 22nd June 2011, 23:11   #1758
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I am glad cars are being recalled to fix glitches. Its actually a healthy sign when a mfg does that.
Completely agree and have posted zillion times about this, glad that someone else agrees to my views on this

You should have gone for the red Thar
Old 23rd June 2011, 00:44   #1759
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
You should have gone for the red Thar
I actually would have Jaggu had it not been for a red Punto, a red VFR in the house and a maroon exotic something I will be taking delivery of soon. I thought it would be overkill of red in the house so opted for a colour that would blend well with forests
Old 23rd June 2011, 20:58   #1760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Today I booked a Thar CRde in Rocky Beige. You can tell I simply cannot resist India !!
Deepak, Congratulations - Thats a really nice and bold decision

Quote:
I thought it would be overkill of red in the house so opted for a colour that would blend well with forests
The THAR looks the best in Rocky Beige - Hope to see you soon this side of town
Old 23rd June 2011, 22:20   #1761
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Deepak, Congratulations - Thats a really nice and bold decision The THAR looks the best in Rocky Beige - Hope to see you soon this side of town
Thanks Vikram. I saw a rocky beige Thar and really liked the colour. I am sure the red looks hot too but like I mentioned too many reds already. Would love to drive to Chennai someday soon and join you guys for some OTR fun
Old 24th June 2011, 10:58   #1762
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@DKG:

I too have travelled in jeep when it had the soft top. One of the issues I had is that, every time I stopped somewhere, where the jeep was not in sight. I was always worried about my personal belongings.

Just curious how this is not a concern when you are touring.
Old 24th June 2011, 11:36   #1763
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@DKG:

I too have travelled in jeep when it had the soft top. One of the issues I had is that, every time I stopped somewhere, where the jeep was not in sight. I was always worried about my personal belongings.

Just curious how this is not a concern when you are touring.
What I would ideally like to do for the Thar is fabricate a hardtop out of lightweight aluminium panels that can be unbolted off a rear roll cage style structure.

So once I unbolt the panels it becomes a completely open Jeep with a exposed rear roll cage. The front in any case has the B pillar and a front roof panel can secure the section ahead of the B pillar.

I don't want something that is too cumbersome to install and remove. My present Jeep bikini top takes less than a minute to undo. Even the rest of the top I made takes under 2 minutes to undo and I've driven in non stop pouring rain for 8 hours with not a drop coming in.

Basically what I am trying to suggest is the hardtop design must be in panels which can be selectively unbolted. For example I could opt to leave the roof panel in and unbolt the sides out

The reason why I want to do a rear roll cage is that apart from safety reasons I want to be able to have a roof rack for additional storage as I want to turn it into a expedition vehicle (carry a spare tyre on the roof if needed or luggage and traction ladders etc
Old 25th June 2011, 00:05   #1764
BHPian

Some news regarding the hard top . Please check this link : https://www.facebook.com/torquehead?sk=info.
I contacted the CEO Mr. Kshitij Bajaj and got a quote of Rs. 50k for the hard top. The company is in Delhi. I thought this might be useful .
Looks ok to me , someone can check this in person , post further info.
Company name is Torque :Website
Torque Studios.
Old 25th June 2011, 11:26   #1765
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

^^
I think that hard top by Torque looks horrible. The should keep the body/top ration same as the hard top. They have increased the body. The thing looks like delivery van now. The windows are dangerously small and visibility will be extremely poor. Overall a very poorly designed hard top.
Old 25th June 2011, 16:28   #1766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^
I think that hard top by Torque looks horrible. The should keep the body/top ration same as the hard top. They have increased the body. The thing looks like delivery van now. The windows are dangerously small and visibility will be extremely poor. Overall a very poorly designed hard top.
+1 to that.

I would like a HT that looks similar to Jeep Wrangler or the Rubicon. Even yours (4X4 Addict) HT is also very cool. A good looking HT brings out the character of the vehicle.

Cheers
Old 26th June 2011, 14:46   #1767
BHPian

Quote:
^^
Hardtops should be in-sync with the whole bodyline.
This is not a DHL Tata Mobile!
JEEPs always look good in soft tops or without them. Fitting a hardtop in a JEEP (I mean the true JEEPs, not the chrysler make huh) is like Mallika Sherawat in a Saree

Quote:
Last fortnight when I was exploring the stunning valleys of Kashmir I realised, for a nature lover like me, a car must always be an open top car and given my love for offroad trails it must have a 4x4. The Thar is both !

Today I booked a Thar CRde in Rocky Beige. You can tell I simply cannot resist India !!
Hey DKG: Got your Thar? I am eager to see the pictures. Do tell which make tyres / size comes as OE on it.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 29th June 2011 at 05:41. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-Quote functionality when quoting more than one post.
Old 26th June 2011, 22:59   #1768
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Hey DKG: Got your Thar? I am eager to see the pictures. Do tell which make tyres / size comes as OE on it.
Hopefully in July. Don't they come with Bridgestone Duellers in size 235/70 R16? I vaguely remember seeing this set on a new Thar but I am not very sure. Will confirm when I see a new one
Old 28th June 2011, 21:32   #1769
Senior - BHPian

Just came across the THAR TVC online

Like the end wherein it says "This is where the normal SUV ad ends. But not here"

Last edited by benbsb29 : 29th June 2011 at 05:29. Reason: Video embed gone wrong - Now corrected.
Old 28th June 2011, 21:45   #1770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
Some news regarding the hard top . Please check this link : https://www.facebook.com/torquehead?sk=info.
I contacted the CEO Mr. Kshitij Bajaj and got a quote of Rs. 50k for the hard top. The company is in Delhi. I thought this might be useful .
Looks ok to me , someone can check this in person , post further info.
Company name is Torque :Website
Torque Studios.

If that is the way for a HT THAR I'd much rather NOT have it...It is atrocious to put it "mildly". The Spoiler spoils it even more. Very imaginative I must say . The website is soooo amatureish that I would never ever call them for anything

I still think the design I posted is surely the best thus far..

God save the people !!!!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks