Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 13:29   #1636
DKG
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Arka if Vinod has clarified that of the Thar sales the CRDe outstrips the MDI it clearly indicates, does it not, that people generally attach greater importance to engine/drivetrain refinement and comforts levels while driving? I think they do.

So if I have made a statement that the Thar CRDe is the most fun and comfortable offroader available on the market what's not okay with that observation?

BTW a new generation chassis with mHawk engine/transmission, coil over axle suspension with FFRA should get you drooling would it not? Think about it as a future Thar Trail Edition !!

Last edited by DKG : 9th May 2011 at 13:48.
Old 9th May 2011, 14:02   #1637
Senior - BHPian

Bolero Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Arka if Vinod has clarified that of the Thar sales the CRDe outstrips the MDI it clearly indicates, does it not, that people generally attach greater importance to engine/drivetrain refinement and comforts levels while driving? I think they do.

So if I have made a statement that the Thar CRDe is the most fun and comfortable offroader available on the market what's not okay with that observation?

BTW a new generation chassis with mHawk engine/transmission, coil over spring suspension with FFRA should get you drooling would it not? Think about it as a future Thar Trail Edition !!
Hi DKG,

I think so the Thar is Labelled as "Bol Thar CRDe"

aka Bolero Thar CRDe.

Also wrt to CRDe vs MDI, is also BS3 vs BS4, and you cannot sell BS4 in most of the bigger cities.

I'm OK with any of the Thars selling, infact, I hope they sell by the Kg, then I can pick up one soon in the second hand market and do the needful.

Regards,

Arka
Old 9th May 2011, 14:18   #1638
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

BTW a new generation chassis with mHawk engine/transmission, coil over axle suspension with FFRA should get you drooling would it not? Think about it as a future Thar Trail Edition !!
DKG, most of us do have very simple needs. Factory fitted lockable secure cabin with fit an finish comparable to an entry level hatch (nano, 800, alto), and an AC with heater just like M800.
Most of the buyers who went for Thar, and then did not buy it do not even know whats IFS or solid axle coil spring. Many who knew do not care.

However, in a country like India where temperatures vary from -10 to +50, an AC and heater from factory is the bare minimum expected in any 7 lakh vehicle.

And nobody is on a Mahindra Witch hunt or something. We just do not want answers like "Ac is not there because owners want to be close to nature".

Give clear answers like Factory fitted AC not possible now, but will be available in future, or "will not be available ever" dealer route is the only way.

But its like talking about the same things again and again. In the end MFR has to take a call, be satisfied with satisfied customers or think of the "unsatisfied" customers also.

Remember, Thar has no competition. There is no 4x4 jeep with modern engine in the market yet. If anybody releases a sub 8L 4x4 in the Indian market, thar will have trouble. Right now the cheapest 4x4 is above 10L, not counting the gypsy(which being petrol has fewer takers).
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 15:49   #1639
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
then I can pick up one soon in the second hand market and do the needful.
I think Thar modification threads will be huge fun on TBHP very soon Looking forward to some outstanding creativity across the country !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Factory fitted lockable secure cabin with fit an finish comparable to an entry level hatch (nano, 800, alto), and an AC with heater just like M800.
I think we are close Tanveer. Now that the vehicle is out I see the following as the logical progression in its life cycle

1. Iron out all the quality niggles
2. Introduce factory a/c option
3. Introduce HT as an accessory

That should more or less expand the car's desirability dramatically making it a very viable alternative to a top end hatchback, not to forget the added lifestyle element

Last edited by DKG : 9th May 2011 at 15:52.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 16:28   #1640
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Arka if Vinod has clarified that of the Thar sales the CRDe outstrips the MDI
That is not surprising, considering they are not delivering 4x4 MDI to customers even after 3 months of booking. A friend had booked MDI 4WD in late Jan, and they still can't tell him the estimated delivery date, let alone deliver it.

Also, has the Thar CDRe sales outstripped MDI 2WD sales? Highly doubt that one.
Old 9th May 2011, 16:32   #1641
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
sadly AWD- being good spirit doesn't mean = revealing numbers to you
Its not just me who's asking for the numbers. We are more interested because Mahindra reps. on the Board have been patting their own back on Thar being a huge success in the market. If you can't come up with the nos, why keep on Ranting that its a huge success! There has been a breach in MM reps credibility here, otherwise their word could have been taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Come on AWD, how can they claim that their product has so and so issues - We have to do it for them.
Yeah, so their tone towards critical remarks is "Rude"!

Quote:
MDI shows that the real dud
The IFS suspension and ultra responsive CRDi engine (with all its electronics which will get buggered when you take the Thar for a swim in an OTR) are the REAL reasons why the car will sell well and find buyers. People are buying
please don't worry too much about sales charts.
What was evident on the Board was that both MM & its Reps. were not keen on Mdi outdoing Thar. All the marketing effort was concentrated towards Thar Crdi. Di is still not available with most dealerships. Also, the BS3/4 issue doesn't help.

Yes customers want a more comfortable vehicle with better fit & finish, A.C, H.T, Lockable cabin, no niggling issues, etc. Specially at the given price, there can't be any other way.

It seems the Company & not the common consumer who is WORRIED here of the sales charts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
big thank you AWD and the others who are being critical. (Also, sorry, but have to say that a company rep trying to negate a critical review is not really a good thing, IMHO.)
Hey you are Welcome buddy. We are here to paint a true picture, will highlight both the Positives & negatives but MM reps don't want -ves appearing on the Board because it hurts their marketing efforts.
Old 9th May 2011, 17:00   #1642
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
I'm OK with any of the Thars selling, infact, I hope they sell by the Kg, then I can pick up one soon in the second hand market and do the needful.
Already one in Mumbai for sale by a very happy owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That is not surprising, considering they are not delivering 4x4 MDI to customers even after 3 months of booking.
In BLR dealer gave back the money saying there were some production issue and may not be able to deliver. Again what someone told me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Its not just me who's asking for the numbers. We are more interested because Mahindra reps. on the Board have been patting their own back on Thar being a huge success in the market.

+ 1 i know its a "lifestyle" vehicle having smaller production run and sales. But really dont understand the secrecy in revealing number. Its been what 3-4 month? 100 vehicle per month is a good number i guess.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 00:37   #1643
WRX
BHPian

Autox Magazine took the Thar as a support vehicle for the SJOBA rally that was held up north a few weeks ago. The story is available online at the link below:

Feature: Mahindra Thar
WRX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 09:46   #1644
jp1
BHPian

Re: Thar brakes?

Thar brakes better than Bolero's? Bolero brakes have its own mind, when we start driving in the morning, the brakes are quite biting, after few kms, it becomes soft and sometimes it is very scary.
Old 10th May 2011, 09:50   #1645
Senior - BHPian

Well, this thread continues to capture my attention time and again!

Simple observations/Questions I have for my ownself?:

How many of our(TBHP) hard core jeepers have picked up the THAR(Crdi or MDi) so far? Based on the numbers, what is thier initial feedback?Also, how many of our esteemed TBHP members who had the sneak preview into the THAR pre-launch now own one? Based on the numbers, what has been thier initial feedback? Those of you who have driven this car much before its launch had great feedback and were waiting for the mule. It would be interesting to know why these THAR Fans' did not yet buy it. I know and have spoken to couple of them personally and they are waiting for the V2. So, can M&M confirm and not pass this repetitive question of THAR V2?

I myself have been waiting for THAR with lot of excitement(as have grown up in jeeps in my younger days), but having seen this in form, have deferred my buying decision. Sorry for sounding negative, last week I have been to A.S.C for some minor work on my Scorpio where I saw a brand new THAR parked for delivery. Could not control my urge and went and started 'feeling' the THAR. Still impressive, but was SHOCKED to see a new THAR with a broken window roller handle and a broken door handle. THIS CAR HAS not yet been delivered to the Customer Would I buy this pdi done THAR?-NO!

M&M- Please do not shy away from accepting the quality issues and resolve them faster.

Last edited by getsurya : 10th May 2011 at 09:51.
getsurya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 10:11   #1646
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics of weird and wacky mod jobs!

Behold,we have the first entry of Mahindra Thar Crde in this thread.
The beige interiors look better than stock one's though
the body kit looks hideous and hard top design can be better.
Pic source-Alpha@Bcmt.

Note from mod: Post copied from Weird and Wacky thread to this one
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img00026201105091711.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img00032201105091715.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img00033201105091715.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img00036201105091717.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img00037201105091717.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img00038201105091717.jpg  

Last edited by tsk1979 : 10th May 2011 at 11:42.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 10:12   #1647
BHPian

Was watching CNN IBN a couple of weekends back and they were talking about the Thar on one of their shows - not an automobile show mind you...They did mention that the Thar is selling at about 500 units a month - did not mention if it was only CRDE or only MDI or a combo of both and also said that major sales are from Rajasthan.

Not sure how correct this info is, but being CNN IBN, am fairly sure that it is accurate.

When I spoke to the dealer about booking the Thar 2 weeks ago, he said they are not taking bookings anymore until some production problem is resolved. He will call me and let me know when they start again.

Got a call back from the same dealer, but different showroom location the same day and he told me they have 3 or 4 Thars in stock that buyers don't want and offered me if I can pay right away. Said I would wait for bookings to start again once they solved their production problem....he was not very happy with that reply.
Old 10th May 2011, 11:05   #1648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post

How many of our(TBHP) hard core jeepers have picked up the THAR(Crdi or MDi) so far? Based on the numbers, what is thier initial feedback?Also, how many of our esteemed TBHP members who had the sneak preview into the THAR pre-launch now own one? Based on the numbers, what has been thier initial feedback? Those of you who have driven this car much before its launch had great feedback and were waiting for the mule. It would be interesting to know why these THAR Fans' did not yet buy it. I know and have spoken to couple of them personally and they are waiting for the V2.
Exactly what i also observed here. one more observation is people who have seen the thar alone in showroom or anywhere else have disliked it. and people who have seen thar and met the M&M rep along, have very high regard to vehicle and they want others to buy it immediately. but they don't want to buy it in its current avatar.
and some owners who are tracked personally by M&M and not by the dealers, are satisfied with the thar.
what i feel is, it should be the product which speak to you and convince you and not people around it.
star_aqua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 11:41   #1649
Team-BHP Support

Akshay, I will take the liberty of copying that post to this thread!

BTW, a Delhi dealer is getting AC fitment done on Thars from outside the workshop. There is no overheating issue, but it requires a fan outside. The owner mentioned he is worried that anyone can walk away with the fan(possible in Delhi).

Last edited by tsk1979 : 10th May 2011 at 11:43.
Old 10th May 2011, 11:50   #1650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Akshay, I will take the liberty of copying that post to this thread!

BTW, a Delhi dealer is getting AC fitment done on Thars from outside the workshop. There is no overheating issue, but it requires a fan outside. The owner mentioned he is worried that anyone can walk away with the fan(possible in Delhi).
Thanks.
And yes,about the fan sitting outside the grill,i have seen such a set up in some tata Sumo's as well.
I wonder,how difficult would it be to relocate the fan behind the grill.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks