Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2014, 09:17   #3256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
Hasn't happened with my Thar even at the 4k RPM. It has done more than 40k kms.

I suspect fuel quality if black smoke is coming out of the exhaust. Try another pump and if the issue is still there then I would suggest consulting a good mechanic.
Hard acceleration (in a Diesel engine) generates black smoke, whether the engine is CRD or otherwise (more so in a non-CRD engine).

We normally don't notice it, that's all!
Please check in the rear view mirror after dusk when accelerating hard; when there are vehicles behind - the headlights of the vehicles following us highlight the smoke spewing from our exhausts, which otherwise is not clearly evident!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 23rd December 2014 at 09:21.
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 21:59   #3257
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
Hasn't happened with my Thar even at the 4k RPM. It has done more than 40k kms.

I suspect fuel quality if black smoke is coming out of the exhaust. Try another pump and if the issue is still there then I would suggest consulting a good mechanic.
That is because you didn't notice.
Drive your thar in choc a bloc traffic and do not exceed 2K RPM.
Then floor it in 2nd or 3rd gear, you will notice some smoke at 3K+ RPM, this is normal.
Old 26th December 2014, 17:24   #3258
Senior - BHPian

Has anybody tried smoked headlights in Thar?
Old 30th December 2014, 22:36   #3259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheepgupta View Post
Hi Guys

Just to give a quick update. Took delivery of a Black Thar yesterday

will post the details and more photos later on.. here is a quick one though.
Can you share your experience of Yokohama 265/70/16 tyres. Did it created any issue while driving or any torsion/ fender issue?

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 30th December 2014 at 23:02.
Old 30th December 2014, 23:00   #3260
Senior - BHPian

Sure it should create issues. The scrub ratio tolerence in a Thar is very limited. What is wrong with the OE tyres ?
Old 30th December 2014, 23:04   #3261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
Has anybody tried smoked headlights in Thar?
Why do you want to do that?
Stock lights look perfect on any color, smoked out lights would look odd on a thar.
Old 30th December 2014, 23:36   #3262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Sure it should create issues. The scrub ratio tolerence in a Thar is very limited. What is wrong with the OE tyres ?
I want a upsize one for sure. Yokohama dealer told me that 275 did created some issue with one of customer and hence he offered 255. But I am more interested in a Broader one and hence requesting for some feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Why do you want to do that?
Stock lights look perfect on any color, smoked out lights would look odd on a thar.
Thanks. But I just wanted to understand that is it possible through some arrangements.
Old 30th December 2014, 23:59   #3263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I want a upsize one for sure. Yokohama dealer told me that 275 did created some issue with one of customer and hence he offered 255. But I am more interested in a Broader one and hence requesting for some feedback

Thanks. But I just wanted to understand that is it possible through some arrangements.
Might be possible, if you install clear lens headlamps.
Old 6th January 2015, 04:17   #3264
BANNED

There have been several posts in various Thar threads that have questioned the reliability of the Thar's IFS. In fact some have even said it's totally unsuitable for "Real" off-roading. How many of you have actually damaged the IFS or seen an IFS being damaged during any sort of off-roading?
Old 6th January 2015, 12:13   #3265
BHPian

Quote:

I would suggest you do not go broader then 255. And as Desert Fox quoted, the OE Bridgestone tyres are perfect for this vehicle. Infact, Behrambhai says he has done a lot of R&D before finalizing it. So maybe we should utilize his efforts.
Old 7th January 2015, 10:30   #3266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
There have been several posts in various Thar threads that have questioned the reliability of the Thar's IFS. In fact some have even said it's totally unsuitable for "Real" off-roading. How many of you have actually damaged the IFS or seen an IFS being damaged during any sort of off-roading?
Many cases almost every weekend here in Gurgaon where about three off road events take place on most weekends during the winter months.

Normal offroading to enjoy with friends and family the vehicle does fine. The moment there is an attempt to try climbing hard mud banks and go through ponds and over rocks these problems occur.
Old 7th January 2015, 12:19   #3267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Dear Live To Jive - IFS is the designed and engineered solution for this vehicle application. If the vehicle is driven sensibly in any off-road situation, absolutely nothing will happen.

Dear all - I very well know that the "IFS v/s non-IFS" debate for Thar CRDe application has been going on since 2008. People have converted Thar CRDe to non-IFS also. I have 100% authenticated information that the non-IFS front axles of Thar CRDe are breaking like matchsticks. The exact words are "breaking like matchsticks". This is the ground reality. I continue to have the highest respect for everybody's capabilities.

I once again humbly request that this debate must be put to rest. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 12:54   #3268
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Live To Jive - IFS is the designed and engineered solution for this vehicle application. If the vehicle is driven sensibly in any off-road situation, absolutely nothing will happen.
That's good news.

Quote:
I once again humbly request that this debate must be put to rest.
Starting or re-starting a debate was not my intention. I was just looking for facts as I didn't beleive the IFS was that easy to break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Many cases almost every weekend here in Gurgaon where about three off road events take place on most weekends during the winter months.

Normal offroading to enjoy with friends and family the vehicle does fine. The moment there is an attempt to try climbing hard mud banks and go through ponds and over rocks these problems occur.
Are the above mentioned activities considered "extreme off-roading" or "moderate/average off-roading"? I'm not an expert and that's why this question.
Old 7th January 2015, 15:00   #3269
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Review: The Force Gurkha 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
An ideal vehicle would have been the Gurkha platform with Thar CRDe power train, dash and steering.
Dear Tini - I do not agree to your quote above. Only one black color "ideal vehicle" ever existed (), it is also now diluted. The "ideal vehicle" lives on inside my brain, every single cell of it! Thar CRDe was only the first step to get the thing going, gain momentum and sniff the market. As the result is very positive, logically, the next step should have been to grow volumes by infusing fresh energy into the project, I would have made the "ideal vehicle" step in now and decimate everything forever! On 21 December 2014, 4 years have passed since the launch which happened on 21 December 2010, but we don't see it happening. Instead, we are seeing huge stickers on the body (what a waste of money), aftermarket seat covers and Mary Poppins ribbon cross on top of the driver's head!

Sad, but this was expected. I call it "systematic satyanaash"! When the thinking is not there, the product will not come.

You know everything so you will understand what I mean yaar!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 7th January 2015 at 15:01.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 21:47   #3270
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: The Force Gurkha 4x4

Here is a trip down the memory lane with "Only one black color "ideal vehicle" ever existed"

Here is a reminder of "huge stickers on the body, aftermarket seat covers and Mary Poppins ribbon cross on top of the driver's head!"

Contrast is clearly visible in the Black vs the Orange and Red colours.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-_2006742.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-mahindra.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-dsc_0111.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks