Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2011, 15:59   #16
BANNED

Re: Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X : Test Drive & Review

Phew what a review mind blowing !
I wish EVO X could be priced lower as at that price it would be difficult for most people to buy it other than hardcore enthusiasts.
Better they should have launched the new lancer first
Old 13th January 2011, 15:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Definitely the most awaited TBHP review for me. And I am not disappointed with the way it provides comprehensive coverage. Pre-worshipped of these should be a real deal in some time.
Old 13th January 2011, 16:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Evo? Where'd u get the evo from? Well, its a long story.

Excellent reviews Rehaan, it was a bit long after the teaser but then considering the quality of the review, you did an excellent job in a short span.

Totally love the underestimated looks of the Evo. The driver seat is the best one around, wraps you around completely. I still cant forget the feeling I had, when I was on the drivers seat of this incredible machine.

Regarding what family has to say for the evo, they'd be less shocked if you say that you bought a civic for 55lac rather than a lancer for the same.

I appreciate the effort you have put in the review, the best one on Team Bhp.

Thanks
Gaurav
Old 13th January 2011, 16:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful review Rehaan, MPower and Dippy !

# Do the ORVMs have electric retract? Didn't find a switch in the snaps.

# Does the parking sensor have a visual display?

# How's the steering to hold/grip? It doesn't seem to have the contoured zones to place the thumbs. By the looks of it I'm a bit disappointed. The Cedia Momo steering will possibly evoke more passion
Old 13th January 2011, 17:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

A truly 'complete' review guys. All aspects covered. Excellent work.

I still dont quite understand the logic behind a 4 cylinder engine in such a high state of tune rather than giving it a V or inline 6 ? Refinement would have increased by leaps & bounds
Old 13th January 2011, 17:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

There is a small puddle of drool around where i am sitting and reading this review!!
Excellent review fellas.
Just one thing though. Should have used GotBHP sticker on the boot
Old 13th January 2011, 17:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic review Rehaan and thanks guys for the comments.

I for one love the looks of this car. Its has the aggressiveness and at the same time doesnt get the unwated attention. As mentioned only the people who know 'Evolution' will give it a second glance and rest would look at it as a modified or DC Lancer .

If it hadnt been for the price its for sure a car that you can drive to work on weekdays and get the boy racer in you out on weekends. The lack of height adjust did pose a problem for me initially because I'm short but after driving for a while one can get used to it. I loved the way the seat hold you into place though. All that was needed was a 4 point harness Lack of telescopic steering adjust was another area which surprised me.

This has so many technology aids that it doesnt let you put a wheel wrong. Try some mischief and it keep you in control. Steering feedback is disappointing and somehow you dont feel connected to the machine, something which you really expect to have in a car of this kind. However the EVO was fun in the dirt. Even with one hand on the wheel, I could keep the car well in control and was quite enjoyable. Rehaan should be uploading the video soon

This car would be a super buy in the preowned market a few years down the line. But the question is that at the asking price, how many will HM sell new anyways? Will be interesting to wait and watch.

To sum it up, it is a very civilized EVO.
Old 13th January 2011, 17:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

I hope Rehaan wont mind me sharing my thoughts. Please find my replies in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
# Do the ORVMs have electric retract? Didn't find a switch in the snaps.

No, the mirrors does not have electric retract; cant afford any extra weight you know.

# Does the parking sensor have a visual display?

I dont think so, may be wrong though.

# How's the steering to hold/grip? It doesn't seem to have the contoured zones to place the thumbs. By the looks of it I'm a bit disappointed. The Cedia Momo steering will possibly evoke more passion

The steering is good to hold, I found it better than the Momo on cedia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
I still dont quite understand the logic behind a 4 cylinder engine in such a high state of tune rather than giving it a V or inline 6 ? Refinement would have increased by leaps & bounds

My guess, thats because the engine has to be a 2Litre, and theres no point having more than 4 cylinders for a 2L engine. I believe this block is also used in normal lancers.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 13th January 2011 at 17:36.
Old 13th January 2011, 17:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Great review, Rehaan & Co. Some day I'll get one - a black one that would give it a sleeper look... If only someone gave me a grant...
Old 13th January 2011, 17:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Great review. Loved the photos...

but the price seems to be quite steep. Is this purely the duty effect ?..

I know the EVO is in a league of its own, but how would this compare with an A4 - 3.2FSI QUATTRO ? ( which incidentally is far far cheaper )
Old 13th January 2011, 17:50   #26
BHPian

Awesome job Rehaan
The one that I have been waiting for!
The 3rd pic is to die for and makes the guy go weak on his knees!
Just loved your "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" and "divine intervention" part!
Reading it over and over
Old 13th January 2011, 17:54   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
A truly 'complete' review guys. All aspects covered. Excellent work.

Thats because Evolution is a true pro rally car and Rally cars have this spec limitation of 2 Liter Engines. Thats why they Turbo it up as much they can to get more and more horses out of the 2 Liters.
Check here for more info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Rally_Car

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 13th January 2011 at 18:07.
Old 13th January 2011, 19:04   #28
Team-BHP Support

I hate you guys! and that too on a dirt track!!!

Superb and detailed review. Does the phoren version comes with rear wipers? Maybe the can if for that? This one can be added to my dream garage though i would still prefer a version or 2 older if they are available off the shelf.
Old 13th January 2011, 19:11   #29
BHPian

Re: Steering Feel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
STEERING FEEL
Another surprise is that the steering on the EVO is fairly light. Though not quite as light as an EPS-hatchback, its definitely not as tight or heavy as a Fiesta or Civic. Add to that, there is zero feedback. There’s really no telling what the front wheels are upto. There’s very little tyre squeal and the steering doesn’t communicate anything back to the driver. Its like a videogame. Point and shoot. Mpower stacked this up against his e36 M3 in comparison, which is razor sharp and lets you know what you’re doing. Personally, I enjoy the chuckability of a light steering, but could have really used some communication from the front tyres for a more involving and rewarding driving experience.
I am very much surprised that you found the steering very light. I haven't driven the EVO X, but my daily drive is it's younger bro GT. It has one of the heaviest steering in it's class.

As you said, it might be the electronics of the EVO is playing a spoilsport here, making it too easy for the driver. Maybe the manual EVO will give you a better feel than the SST.

I know a guy who returned the SST and bought a Manual. His reason was different, he felt that the SST was too slow for him! He too was praising the handling of the EVO as you did. I have seen some real action by some of the EVO X drivers on the Jumeirah Beach road, especially on Thursday nights.

Below is a quote from one of the auto magazine in UAE which rates the EVO's handling better than the M3!

Quote:
The BMW M3 is one of the best handling cars on sale today, but the Evo X feels even tighter, more focused and planted through the bends.
This one is from a website:
Quote:
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X GSR I drove also had tremendous steering response and feel, better than the E92 M3 I drove on the same day.
I seriously feel that Mitsubishi did the right thing to bring EVO X to India (Even with a higher price). Others may follow suite to have their performance sedans and hatches launched in India, which is what we want.

Let's wait for Mitsu to wake up and bring the new gen lancer to India, with a better pricing.
Old 13th January 2011, 19:18   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Mind blowing review. Felt like lived it through,word by word, picture by picture.
My feelings exactly. Felt I had lived it through, word by word, picture by picture. And the feeling, I guess, grew from the section on cornering where you referred to the EVO as a person talking back to you. Brilliant and really liked it!

And as others have pointed out - way over-priced.

Rehaan, why would EVO X give an electronic steering? Is it the changing tastes - shifting towards video-gamish experience in real-world driving too?

EDIT: And awesome pics!

Last edited by manishk83 : 13th January 2011 at 19:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks