Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2011, 15:49   #46
DNS
BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X : Test Drive & Review

Has anyone found out the On-road Price, Mumbai or Thane?
Old 14th January 2011, 15:56   #47
GTO
Team-BHP Support

After attacking a couple of corners with the EVO, the first thought that came to my head is this....We simply aren't drivers good enough to exploit the EVO's handling prowess. Of course, neither do public roads provide an opportunity. The EVO is too skilled a car for the average driver. It's too brilliantly sorted. As Rehaan aptly wrote in the opening post, the EVO will make you - an average driver - feel invincible.

I loved the looks, it's totally my kind of styling. Very understated, yet the right amount of muscle and well-proportioned. The EVO looks great in the pictures, but it looks even better (and more substantial) in the flesh. I hit a bad traffic jam on the way to the expressway. It's here that the EVO showed her dual personality. In traffic, she is as easy to drive as an AT Honda City! The steering's easy, power delivery predictable and AT gearbox making light work of traffic snarls. The first empty stretch of road I found, I floored her. She is quick, yet not frighteningly quick. Example : Even a 530d pushes you back into the seat, the EVO doesn't. Rather, power delivery is linear. I was shocked at the light, zero-feedback steering. This in one of the world's most evocative performance sedans. Even a Civic steering feels better. Hit the ghats and the EVO shines. She just refuses to lose composure, no matter how hard you push. Thanks to the worn out brake pads on our test car, I used generous doses of engine braking, and the EVO obliged. She even downshifted where other (conservative) boxes would refuse to.

I'm just glad that a true performance sedan is here. Hopefully, the EVO paves the way for others to follow suit. Things have never been better for the loaded petrolhead! Can't understand Mitsu's pricing strategy though. The A4 3.2 FSI & the EVO are near identically priced in the UK. Yet here, the A4 3.2 cost 48 lakhs on the road (with ALL options). That's even lower than the EVO's ex-showroom.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2011, 16:34   #48
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review. @reehan, you did not expand what FQ stands for !
Old 14th January 2011, 17:07   #49
Senior - BHPian

Great Review Rehaan. Oh-My-God. For 51+ lakhs on road it is a no seller and here i was waiting for it to be launched all within 30 lakhs

I guess this is where my eagerness wears off a bit. I was quite disappointed with the dash and the meters. Looks very dated to me. Then HM goes and drops another bomb (as if the price bomb was not enough) that its got a limited warranty. Even a two wheeler has more warranty.

Anything about the fuel specs. I mean what kind of octane is specified? 91-97Ron ??
Old 14th January 2011, 17:23   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Excellent review. @reehan, you did not expand what FQ stands for !
See in section of EVO-VII... here
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It also says FQs are sold only in UK.

Last edited by GTO : 14th January 2011 at 18:40. Reason: Hi RajaTaurus, retaining the Wiki link, but we'd rather not have abusive language on the forum (even indirectly). Thanks
Old 14th January 2011, 19:01   #51
Senior - BHPian

A great Review guys. Couldn't believe my eyes when I read the Thread title.I really didn't expect you guys to review the Evo X so soon. But I'm glad you did anyways.

I couldn't help but notice one very important point missing in the review , 0-100 Km/hr speed run for this FQ-300 engine with the tires she's on for our roads. I'm sure you guys were more excited with drifting her mostly on the dirt but I think the straight line performance would also count for a 50+ lakhs sport sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The A4 3.2 FSI & the EVO are near identically priced in the UK. Yet here, the A4 3.2 cost 48 lakhs on the road (with ALL options). That's even lower than the EVO's ex-showroom.
Clearly this is what has upset most Evo enthusiasts here in India,It's price !! How could Mistsubishi get so awry here ?
Old 14th January 2011, 20:05   #52
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant review of a brilliant car with brilliant pics. But the asking price is disgusting. HM will never change for good. But it will surely depreciate like stink and then lies the cache..
Old 14th January 2011, 21:08   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I guess this is where my eagerness wears off a bit. I was quite disappointed with the dash and the meters. Looks very dated to me. Then HM goes and drops another bomb (as if the price bomb was not enough) that its got a limited warranty. Even a two wheeler has more warranty.

Anything about the fuel specs. I mean what kind of octane is specified? 91-97Ron ??
Good point. HM should have at least launched the car 2-1/2 years ago at the time of global debut. At least the customer deserves the latest and greatest for paying 1/2 crore. Its not exactly a hot new arrival anymore.

BTW, sticker on the filler door says 98 pump octane.

Last edited by Mpower : 15th January 2011 at 03:13.
Old 14th January 2011, 22:59   #54
Senior - BHPian

I have great respect for a car like the Evo. But, 50 is asking too much. I would not mind 50 for probably a Nissan 370 or GT, but may think twice about a 4 door Lancer
Old 14th January 2011, 23:12   #55
Senior - BHPian

Great and Amazing Review. Superb pics as well. But Price is astonishingly on the other side. However liked the whole review and the details.
Old 15th January 2011, 00:32   #56
Senior - BHPian

Great Review Rehaan.

The car looks killer but the pricing is stupid & as always makes you think that HM is not interested in doing any business.
Old 15th January 2011, 10:11   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
I have great respect for a car like the Evo. But, 50 is asking too much. I would not mind 50 for probably a Nissan 370 or GT, but may think twice about a 4 door Lancer
370Z is cheaper than the Evo everywhere in the world. Only in India its more expensive. The GT-R is in a difference performance and price class.

Anyways that said, all these cars are priced obscenely. Considering their prices, I'd rather get a BMW Z4 which is just a few lacs more in India. Its a rather good deal in our country compared to prices abroad.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 15th January 2011 at 10:13.
Old 15th January 2011, 11:42   #58
Team-BHP Support

VIDEO just added to the first post

Check it out, fun

cya
R
Old 15th January 2011, 12:06   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
..But this price tag is just blasphemous, is it really worth 50lac plus?
If we were talking FQ-360 at this price, i could see twice as many buyers. (Though thats still a very small number!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
My question: Warranty is short but despite this, is HM equipped to serivce this or you would have to leave the car in the workshop for days together?
Honestly, other than (maybe) the most common high-wear items like brake pads and tyres, i doubt they would keep anything more in stock. How many EVO Xs are gonna sell pan-India? Personally, I'd be surprised if its more than 20 this whole year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Can you please explain what this is? <<Intercooler spray>>
The Subaru STi (EVO's archnemesis) has a button for spraying the intercooler with water, which cools it further, giving the engine even cooler air.
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X : Test Drive & Review-wrxsti07leftpanel1.jpg
Source of pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
you did not expand what FQ stands for !
Don't want an infraction

Quote:
I was quite disappointed with the dash and the meters. Looks very dated to me.
To be honest, its a HUGE step up from the EVO IX. Though yes, on its own its still a bit dull and uninspiring at places. I liked the MID and the gear-lever + mode switch.

Here's the IX for comparison.
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X : Test Drive & Review-2007mitsubishilancerevolutionixfq360interior1600x1200.jpg
Source

Quote:
The brochure says nothing! The test car didn't come with an owners manual. But as shown in a pic in the engine post, there's a sticker that says 98 octane only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I couldn't help but notice one very important point missing in the review , 0-100 Km/hr speed run for this FQ-300 engine with the tires she's on for our roads. I think the straight line performance would also count for a 50+ lakhs sport sedan.
Stanjohn, you're absolutely right -- and personally this is something i was very keen on testing, and am pretty disappointed that we couldn't manage it. The first thing i did was tank up the car with 97 octane (to get max performance in the 0-100). However, its rare to get a safe place to test within the city, and add to that the brakes on the test car were on their last legs so we had to leave extra room for caution. The ideal situation never arose in town or out of it. Maybe if we get another chance... i sure we could drop a significant amount off the time that its been measured at in India so far.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th January 2011 at 12:09.
Old 15th January 2011, 18:44   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Stanjohn, you're absolutely right -- and personally this is something i was very keen on testing, and am pretty disappointed that we couldn't manage it. The first thing i did was tank up the car with 97 octane (to get max performance in the 0-100). However, its rare to get a safe place to test within the city, and add to that the brakes on the test car were on their last legs so we had to leave extra room for caution. The ideal situation never arose in town or out of it. Maybe if we get another chance... i sure we could drop a significant amount off the time that its been measured at in India so far.

cya
R
Hmm, that's alright man. Hopefully next time with better brakes on. I did some research on the net and they say the FQ 300 can do a 0-100 sprint of 4.7s.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks