Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2007, 18:31   #106
BHPian

Which route to take?

Hi Guys,

I have a rather strange question. I can reach my office in 2 ways. The first is 10 kms long with medium traffic, but there are 3 stretches where the speed can go upto 60kmph...hehe..I am talking about peak traffic hours here

The second is 8 kms long with very very less traffic.

However, the time taken to traverse both these routes is the same. This is because the longer route has smoother roads which means I can drive much faster than I can on the shorter one.

My question is which route would yield better economy of fuel and be good for the car?

The idea is to generalise the fact that fuel consumed is equally a factor of time as it is for distance covered. Which means if I am taking 20 minutes to reach the destination irrespective of the route taken, the fuel consumed is the same. Ofcourse, this includes the same amount of gear shifting and clutching. Its just that I have some stretches in the longer route that I can manage to average higher in terms of speed.

Is this true? Experts please
Old 26th June 2007, 21:11   #107
BHPian

Hi my Fiat Siena Weekend has started to give horrible average eversince I visited Shaman Auto for routine servicing last weekend

My car use to average about 7 - 8 km per litre with 100% a/c in city before the service and now its average is dropped horribly to 2 - 3 km per litre can anyone tell me what could be the cause ??
I have taken an additional engine treatment service alongwith the routine service n checkup the service guy wanted me to take the carbon cleaning also done but I refused since my car was giving good average dont know what they did I m pretty sure they are cheats
Old 11th July 2007, 12:56   #108

Tata Indica in Bangalore

Hi All,
I just have started to drive a car (newbie). I got a Indiaca V2 turbo DLX and its been thru 2 service rounds at the company provided service stations ( 7500 KM Total) . The Milage that I get in City traffic is about 15.3 . I travel about 55 KM/day. I am still not satisfied by the milage that I get from My car. What can I do to squeez more out of my car ? or I am just being too greedy ? Please Advice
Old 11th July 2007, 13:25   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximers View Post
Hi All,
I just have started to drive a car (newbie). I got a Indiaca V2 turbo DLX and its been thru 2 service rounds at the company provided service stations ( 7500 KM Total) . The Milage that I get in City traffic is about 15.3 . I travel about 55 KM/day. I am still not satisfied by the milage that I get from My car. What can I do to squeez more out of my car ? or I am just being too greedy ? Please Advice
What is your expected mileage?
Old 11th July 2007, 13:34   #110
BHPian

I suggest, take the route you enjoy more. The difference in fuel consumption won't be much given the short distance.

I have a question for you. Wouldnt less traffic & shorter route translate into less time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutdcrap View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a rather strange question. I can reach my office in 2 ways. The first is 10 kms long with medium traffic, but there are 3 stretches where the speed can go upto 60kmph...hehe..I am talking about peak traffic hours here

However, the time taken to traverse both these routes is the same. This is because the longer route has smoother roads which means I can drive much faster than I can on the shorter one.

My question is which route would yield better economy of fuel and be good for the car?

The idea is to generalise the fact that fuel consumed is equally a factor of time as it is for distance covered. Which means if I am taking 20 minutes to reach the destination irrespective of the route taken, the fuel consumed is the same. Ofcourse, this includes the same amount of gear shifting and clutching. Its just that I have some stretches in the longer route that I can manage to average higher in terms of speed.

Old 11th July 2007, 13:55   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
I have a question for you. Wouldnt less traffic & shorter route translate into less time?
Shorter route might have bad roads riddled with potholes maybe.
Old 12th July 2007, 14:06   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza View Post
I would'nt want to cast aspersions on the owners of the pump who I still feel are not the culprits. In all probability it is enroute adulteration which they are unable to detect.
There could be a problem in the quantity and not quality. You may wan to check that too.
Old 12th July 2007, 14:17   #113
BHPian

@Risga : I believe DieselFan has answered your question.

The idea of my question's answer is to generalise the fact that fuel consumed is equally a factor of time as it is for distance covered. Which means if I am taking 20 minutes to reach the destination irrespective of the route taken, the fuel consumed is the same. Ofcourse, this includes the same amount of gear shifting and clutching. Its just that I have some stretches in the longer route that I can manage to average higher in terms of speed.

Since this thread is about getting max FE, so I wanted to query this. Not that I am very FE conscious.
Old 16th July 2007, 10:26   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
What is your expected mileage?
Hi,
Considering the fact that I leave my house at around 7:45 AM and reach my office by around 8:30 AM ( a total of 26KM one side), I would expect 17-18 Km/Ltr. I fuel in Extra Mile Diesel from Indian Oil. Please also advice should I switch to Shell Diesel ( which my friend suggests is damn good)

Thanks,
Maximers
Old 16th July 2007, 22:27   #115
BHPian

nice informations here. thanks buddy.
Old 17th July 2007, 11:40   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutdcrap View Post
Hi Guys,

For driving sake, car sake and maybe some kmpl sake i would take the longer but less denser traffic route.

No you wont get 40% more kmpl but it should be marginally better on the second route.
Old 17th July 2007, 12:36   #117
Senior - BHPian

@ cutdcrap: I agree with Jaggu.......Consider this eg: I was travelling to Electronics city every day by hosur road and the FE of my car was around 12 kmpl. Now I'am driving on NICE road and the FE has drastically increased to 16~17 kmpl.....though the no of kms travelled is more. The meaning of this is even tough the NICE road is little long than normal Hosur road, the newly constructed road is empty and roads are pretty good. I can drive with 1500~2000 rpm @ 80 kmph with any signals and stops.

The idea is if you have more stops in between the FE will obviously come down......
Old 21st July 2007, 13:01   #118
BHPian

Folks,
Just completed my third service for my scorpio crde @20k Kms.Changed all the oil etc.But not the oil filter or air filter.
My highway mileage which was 12.75/ltr has dropped to 10+ immdtly after service.
Full tank of 60ltrs gives me 640+kms with city/highway.After service the tank dried out (560 kms)just before pondy last week and had to organise cans and fill it up.
Spoke to MPL service Manager-says not possible b'cos we have "not touched anything other than oil change".
Experts pls advice ,what could be wrong? Second fill also confirms 10+.
Old 22nd July 2007, 07:40   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
How did u get those numbers...it depends not only on density but also other factors too....
coming back to the original discussion, i second abhi's point. varying speeds helps in FE.

let me explain this way. you need engine (and fuel) for accelerating. then you can let it coast for sometime and accelerate again. leaving it at a constant speed means leaving your fuel line on just to overcome drag.

you have the drag anyway. in my view the fuel you save is from the saved revs (and friction) of the engine. I have also tested and used this phenomenon. only problem, it irritates fellow road users, and i am still afraid to use it on US highways.
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2007, 10:05   #120
BHPian

Stupid Doubt!

Is there a difference in FE for the following options?

1. A/C always on the Automatic climate control
2. A/C always on the Manual zone

Please don't kick me if this is a stupud question

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks