Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2009, 10:50   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachchu View Post
@GTO

is there any way to check (preferably online in Bangalore) if the buyer has really registered the vehicle I sold to him or not?

looking at your list, seems I've made many mistakes while selling my bike.
You've overlooked some mandatory steps, but are lucky to have not gotten in trouble yet. Why not contact the buyer and ask him to send you an updated copy of the RC book? Also, check if the Karnataka traffic authorities display registration details online (some in the south do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
I am trying to sell my Indica Vista TDI aqua that I purchased about 7 months back.
Reading your post, I would suggest you keep the Vista and sell the Zen. Why? Simply because your parents would be way more comfortable travelling in a Vista. The Vista is far more spacious than the puny old Zen, has C-sedan like ride quality and a great backseat. Additionally, the ingress / egress is easier, unlike the low Zen where they would have to crouch to get in. C'mon, your folks will love you even more for this gesture

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Awesome article GTO. Every possible doubt has be clarified! Just what I would be needing soon. Thanks for taking the time and effort!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Excellent article! Covered just about everything. And just when I'm planning to do some sales myself. Thanks GTO.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Rush methinks you gotto add as to what accessories goes with the car during the sale. Am sure everyone would have gotten some ICE , FFE, alloys, aftermarket filters et all and this clearly needs to be mentioned as to what goes with car and what doesn't.
Good point. Though I personally like to sell a car as is, some would want to transfer their ICE / power tuning box / others to their next car. Thanks RJ, it has been added.

Last edited by GTO : 4th August 2009 at 10:57.
Old 4th August 2009, 12:22   #17
BHPian

Thanks GTO.

Thats a very comprehensive article. Its helpful for both those selling and buying their vehicles.

Regards,
Old 4th August 2009, 15:02   #18
BHPian

Hi all, in Bangalore, there is an SMS facility to check on ownership of a car. Have tried it for my car, and yes, it works, but not for bikes.

When it was initially launched, you could get the name and address of the owner! Just when I thought that would be the simplest way to become a stalker, they've now changed it to owner's name, and engine and chassis numbers, make/manufacturer, and HP & CC. This would also be a good way to check on a vehicle you plan to buy.

Here's how

Type a new message 'RTO KA-0x-xx-xxxx' and send to 56006.
(Use the actual numbers/letter in place of the X's above)(Don't forget the hyphens - they're important)(Capital or small letters don't seem to matter)

This also works for earlier Karnataka model numbers like CAx and CKx series. Haven't had any luck with the MEx/MYx series, as the 1 number I still remember returned a 'Vehicle number is wrong' message.
avkurian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2009, 15:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Good checklist and document compilation here.
Would come back when selling my OHC Vtec
Old 4th August 2009, 15:18   #20
BHPian

Vehicle Information

As mentioned by avkurian, in Bangalore vehicle information can be made available on your mobile via SMS or on-line also. This facility has not covered all Bangalore RTOs but AFAIK, Koramangala, Indiranagar, Jayanagar are covered, others are under process.

Also, it works for both Bikes & Cars. Here is the link: BTIS - Bangalore Transport Information System
pradipk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2009, 19:48   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The law states that YOU are responsible for the car as long as it stays registered in your name, and the onus of informing the RTO lies on you.

• Notify the RTO (from where your car was registered) within 14 days of sale. Send a copy of all the 8 categories of documents that you were asked to retain (in the previous post). Include a covering letter and send the package via Regd. Post.
• Request the buyer to send a copy of the updated RC book (transferred to his name) to you. This will, in all probability, require a certain amount of followup. Once received, include it in the same file as the other sale-related documents.

• Bid a sweet farewell to the car that's served you well for so many years . Happy selling & here's hoping you find a good home for her.
IMHO it is far better to transfer the vehicle's ownership yourself, as the seller. All the procedures you detailed earlier, were done by me. The buyer then sold the car onward to another person (he turned out to be a dealer when the cops checked on him). The car (an Indica) was involved in an accident in Punjab, and I was hauled up to the magistrate to show all my documents, and proof that I had sold the car. That's harassment... two full days wasted.

From what I figured from a private conversation with the magistrate, there is no law in the MV Act, or any other law, that COMPELS the buyer to transfer the ownership. If he does not, and (as in my case) sells the car again (lakhs of used cars ply without registration transfer in the smaller towns and villages), we as the seller have no control over the car anymore despite it continuing to be registered in our names.

So, my take on this is: Take the buyer's documents, transfer the car, then hand over the RC. Bye-bye to car, good riddance to buyer too. Costs a few hundred rupees and some trouble, but that is less troublesome and terrifying than being hauled up before a magistrate and having to explain why you shouldn't be charged with causing hurt, manslaughter, even dacoity and murder.
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2009, 20:06   #22
BHPian

I didn't have to go through Steps 1 and 2

Each and every step mentioned in GTO's article is every bit helpful and important. But When you have trusted mechanics who have diligently serviced your cars for years, you don't really need to go anywhere else to find buyers. Sure he'll keep his share from the bargain but in the end, YOU will not have to go foraging for a buyer. The Mechanic will get you one. This happened when I sold off my Maruti Esteem. In fact. it was my dad's Esteem and I got a price of Rs.95,000 on a 6 year old car.

Nonetheless, Steps 3 and 4 are absolutely essential as it involves the proper transfer and security measures for your sold car.
Old 5th August 2009, 04:36   #23
BHPian

Thanks for the informative Thread on Buying/Selling
Very Comprehensive Too
Old 5th August 2009, 10:50   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
As mentioned by avkurian, in Bangalore vehicle information can be made available on your mobile via SMS or on-line also. This facility has not covered all Bangalore RTOs but AFAIK, Koramangala, Indiranagar, Jayanagar are covered, others are under process.

Also, it works for both Bikes & Cars. Here is the link: BTIS - Bangalore Transport Information System
This is interesting. I sold my bike (KA-05-) almost a year back. But the above mentioned website (and SMS) still shows my name on it with the correct vehicle description. So, I called up the buyer and asked him if he has registered the vehicle. He says he has, and without going into the reasons here, I believe him.

I think this information here is stale by a few months. Can somebody with a recent transaction confirm this?
Old 5th August 2009, 12:25   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachchu View Post
This is interesting. I sold my bike (KA-05-) almost a year back. But the above mentioned website (and SMS) still shows my name on it with the correct vehicle description. So, I called up the buyer and asked him if he has registered the vehicle. He says he has, and without going into the reasons here, I believe him.

I think this information here is stale by a few months. Can somebody with a recent transaction confirm this?
Apologies for back to back posts. The edit option has disappeared.

I checked up a car (KA-01-MA-) that I had sold almost 3 years back, which I know for sure has been registered by the buyer (because I sold it to my brother and my dad got the registration done), and that car is also shown under my name.

Looking at the pattern it looks like the information is entered in the database for new vehicle registrations but never updated on re-registrations/transfers.

Given that, this website is not useful for checking whether the buyer registered or not.
Old 5th August 2009, 16:30   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
IMHO it is far better to transfer the vehicle's ownership yourself, as the seller. All the procedures you detailed earlier, were done by me...........
Quote:
So, my take on this is: Take the buyer's documents, transfer the car, then hand over the RC. Bye-bye to car, good riddance to buyer too. Costs a few hundred rupees and some trouble, but that is less troublesome and terrifying than being hauled up before a magistrate and having to explain why you shouldn't be charged with causing hurt, manslaughter, even dacoity and murder.
Great tip, surely an option for those who are open to the additional effort or want 100% security. Thanks

Quote:
From what I figured from a private conversation with the magistrate, there is no law in the MV Act, or any other law, that COMPELS the buyer to transfer the ownership.
The RTO officer & consultant, whose help I took for this article, categorically stated that the new owner has to inform the RTO (and transfer) within 14 or 30 days (don't remember the exact deadline). Will try getting a hold of him to clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum_torque View Post
But When you have trusted mechanics who have diligently serviced your cars for years, you don't really need to go anywhere else to find buyers.
Well said. Mechanics always have their finger on the pulse of the local market.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2009, 21:03   #27
BHPian

After 14 days there is a progressive fine.

Name:  130317d1240915818chennairtoprocedureswhilebuyingusedcartransferownership.gif
Views: 17097
Size:  108.6 KB

Link

I recently transferred ownership of my used car to my name. The RTO website is now showing my name for the details. So the website does get updated.
Old 6th August 2009, 07:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Note : If the deal is between two Team-BHPians, a win-win deal is top priority
Brilliant posts, GTO, and very useful. I would make just one correction to what I think is one of the highlights of the post, quoted above.
Regardless of who you are dealing with, win win should always be top priority. In car deals or anything else in life. It's the only way to live!
Old 6th August 2009, 14:46   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post

Attachment 170252

Link
Fantastic! Thanks for the confirmation, Srijit. I only wish the fines were more severe. I mean, 100 bucks for not transferring a car after 60 days is hardly a disincentive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Brilliant posts, GTO, and very useful. I would make just one correction to what I think is one of the highlights of the post, quoted above.
Regardless of who you are dealing with, win win should always be top priority. In car deals or anything else in life. It's the only way to live!
Said it like it should be.

Last edited by GTO : 6th August 2009 at 14:47.
Old 6th August 2009, 20:02   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...the new owner has to inform the RTO (and transfer) within 14 or 30 days (don't remember the exact deadline). Will try getting a hold of him to clarify.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
That's true - a Rs.100 fine if transfer of registration is not completed within 14 days, and papers are submitted for transfer of ownership later than 14 days.

But AFAIK there is no punitive action that can be taken by law if the buyer refused to present his papers for transfer of ownership at all, even took the car to another state, and plied it there without transfer or NOC.

@GTO:
Would be obliged if you can find out from the gentleman in the RTO, if there is anything at all that a seller can do by law, to force the buyer to transfer ownership - short of doing it himself as I had suggested.
Quote:
The RTO officer & consultant, whose help I took for this article

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks