Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2024, 19:34   #706
Team-BHP Support

Re: ARTICLE: How to sell a *USED* car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskinash View Post
The buyer and I agreed that I'll release the vehicle once the new owner's name is reflected on the Parivahan website. is this ok?
Name transfer reflecting on the portal might take upwards of a month in some RTOs. I don’t think it might be reasonable to expect to hold the vehicle until the name transfer is reflected in the RTO records, because the buyer has already paid in full and may want to at least drive the vehicle back home .

Normally a delivery note is exchanged, name transfer papers signed and submitted to RTO and buyers collect the vehicle and start using the vehicle slowly inside the city, etc. Ethical buyers will usually want the name transfer to happen as soon as possible before they undertake any highway journeys, etc which might have a higher probability of incidents requiring insurance claims.

That said, in a preowned vehicle purchase between a buyer and a seller, anything goes as long as it is agreed upon by the two parties involved. If your buyer has agreed to wait until name transfer has completed, it eliminates every possible risk for you so it will be the best possible situation for you

Last edited by KarthikK : 20th February 2024 at 19:35.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 20:15   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Name transfer reflecting on the portal might take upwards of a month in some RTOs.
In Mangalore the RC to reach home can take up to 2 months (my experience from a month ago). It is certainly unreasonable to make the buyer wait for this long.

As the buyer has agreed to process the paperwork from his side I asked him to double-check as to how long it’ll take for the transfer of ownership to appear on Parivahan. He was informed by his agent that it would be reflected in one day’s time.

The buyer and I have both agreed that the vehicle will be handed over once the change appears on Parivahan. If it happens in a day then more power to him.
ruskinash is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 16:48   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Name transfer reflecting on the portal might take upwards of a month in some RTOs. I don’t think it might be reasonable to expect to hold the vehicle until the name transfer is reflected in the RTO records, because the buyer has already paid in full and may want to at least drive the vehicle back home .

Normally a delivery note is exchanged, name transfer papers signed and submitted to RTO and buyers collect the vehicle and start using the vehicle slowly inside the city, etc. Ethical buyers will usually want the name transfer to happen as soon as possible before they undertake any highway journeys, etc which might have a higher probability of incidents requiring insurance claims.

That said, in a preowned vehicle purchase between a buyer and a seller, anything goes as long as it is agreed upon by the two parties involved. If your buyer has agreed to wait until name transfer has completed, it eliminates every possible risk for you so it will be the best possible situation for you
Completely agree, even delivery note is not insisted upon by many driving school agents nowadays as name transfer in progress is updated through a SMS. While selling my Ghata and bringing Salaga home, both cases were Form 29,30 signed and the original RC, insurance and PUC handed over and immediately submitted for transfer on the same day to the RTO or the most the next day if the sale and funds transferred happened after noon.

No question of waiting for him to start the name transfer while driving or dealers giving test rides on my RC or insurance to other prospective buyers lest some accident happen during one of them especially on a lapsed insurance. I even sold mine for a little lesser price to a advocate customer on Facebook marketplace just to avoid this hassle

I have got the RC for my present bike while it shows the previous owners name in all car info apps

Last edited by 100Kmphormore : 21st February 2024 at 16:49.
Old 22nd February 2024, 14:44   #709

Dear Distinguished Members,

I need some help from you. My father had exchanged his old Maruti 800 for a new Alto LXI in 2014 at a Maruti dealership in Kolkata. The dealership had taken all necessary documents and my father's signature and assured him of a smooth transfer process.

Today morning (22nd Feb 2024), i.e after 10 years of the aforementioned exchange, we have received a notice that vehicle tax has not been paid and that we need to pay it immediately. I checked Vahan website and was surprised to find that the old Maruti 800 is still registered under my father's name! This implies that the dealership did nothing to complete the owner name transfer in the RTO records. Also, the dealership doesn't exist now.

My question to you is, what steps should be taken here? Should we contact Maruti and ask them or directly go the RTO? We naturally do not know to whom the car was sold to, hence at a fix what to do. Any support/information on this would be immensely helpful.

TIA
Old 26th February 2024, 21:53   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_chat View Post
Dear Distinguished Members,

I need some help from you. My father had exchanged his old Maruti 800 for a new Alto LXI in 2014 at a Maruti dealership in Kolkata. The dealership had taken all necessary documents and my father's signature and assured him of a smooth transfer process.

Today morning (22nd Feb 2024), i.e after 10 years of the aforementioned exchange, we have received a notice that vehicle tax has not been paid and that we need to pay it immediately. I checked Vahan website and was surprised to find that the old Maruti 800 is still registered under my father's name! This implies that the dealership did nothing to complete the owner name transfer in the RTO records. Also, the dealership doesn't exist now.

My question to you is, what steps should be taken here? Should we contact Maruti and ask them or directly go the RTO? We naturally do not know to whom the car was sold to, hence at a fix what to do. Any support/information on this would be immensely helpful.

TIA
Do you have any material proof, documentation of the sale ? Might need to present the case with as much documentary evidence and appeal before the assistant commissioner RTO. However, suggest that you await other inputs.
bdutta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2024, 08:34   #711
BHPian

Quote:

Update: Once the transfer was applied for, the new owner's particulars were updated on the Parivahan platform in one week.

This is a reasonable amount of time and is perhaps the safest scenario for both the previous owner and the new one. One can pay a fee of Rs.10 and extract the new owner's particulars from the website. A soft copy can be maintained for our records. (transfer of insurance etc.)

The keys to the vehicle were handed over only after the transfer was complete. Stress-free deal indeed!

Last edited by ruskinash : 2nd March 2024 at 08:38.
ruskinash is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2024, 17:58   #712
BHPian

Has anyone done ownership transfer process through online service provided in Parivahan (vahan) portal?

If I initiate the transfer process online, do I still need to fill any other forms? Does the online process take care of both form 29 and 30? Also is online process a safer option or submiting documents yourself or through agent safer option when it concerns liabilities?

How long does it take and any risks(application getting rejected etc) when applying online?

I am planning to sell carbwithin same RTO in Pune, if that matters.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks