Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2021, 16:07   #646
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to sell a *USED* car in India

Thanks to all. We told them to give no more than 2 lakh rupees in cash and they agreed. They will R.T.G.S 30 Lakh rupees in our account and rest 2.15 Lakhs in cash.
Old 7th April 2021, 07:53   #647
BHPian

I was going through the Delhi RTO site regarding issue of NOC, when I came across the following regarding rule position for liability in case of sale of vehicles (The following is Copied/ pasted directly from the website:-

Q.15 If, the vehicle sold to some person and the purchaser of vehicle is not transferring in his name then who will be responsible for any incident happened by the vehicle?

Ans. If, the vehicle is transfer then all the liabilities / action will be frame against the vehicle owner, which record is showing in the govt. record.

Q.16 If, the vehicle owner is not transferring the vehicle in his name after purchase then what action will be taken against the purchaser of vehicle to avoid any responsibilities after sale of vehicle?

Ans. The vehicle may lodge complaint/FIR at the office of police authority regarding misusing / illegal using the vehicle without right ownership of vehicle and request to seize the vehicle till transfer the vehicle in his name. The register owner may submit the intimation alongwith copy of received complaint letter/ FIR of police authority for action taken, but liability will stand in the name of vehicle owner till transfer of vehicle.

The link to the website is as follows:-

https://transport.delhi.gov.in/conte...e-registration
Old 30th June 2021, 17:25   #648

Hi All

Need advice about this complex situation I have landed myself to:

I sold my used card to my ex-colleague 6 years back (in 2015). He was able to get NOC issued for the car but unfortunately he passed away before the car was transferred to his name.
I recently checked and see the car is still under my name.
I reached out to his son and he cited some complication with ascension and car still being under my name etc.

Please advise:
1. How should I get the car transferred to his son's name?
2. If I make a fresh sale to his son's name, should I create backdated documents or use current dates? Asking this to understand if there can be any complication with NOC being issued (most likely expired).
Old 1st July 2021, 09:13   #649
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser91 View Post
Hi All

Need advice about this complex situation I have landed myself to:

I sold my used card to my ex-colleague 6 years back (in 2015). He was able to get NOC issued for the car but unfortunately he passed away before the car was transferred to his name.
I recently checked and see the car is still under my name.
I reached out to his son and he cited some complication with ascension and car still being under my name etc.
Unique situation I've come across. Here's what I would do:

1. Cancel the NOC. I don't think the NOC is valid anymore as it has to be used within a stipulated time of 6 months before it expires. This in itself will be complicated because to cancel an NOC, you need signatures on affidavits citing cancelation of the sale and transfer process.

2. You should not get it transferred easily in his son's name. You may need a lawyer that can check the deceased person's will and ensure that there are no claimants to his belongings. Otherwise, you'll end up getting legal notices from them. This is a tricky area itself.

3. If I were you, I'd ask all legal heirs to come down with the will and make them bear legal expenses to draft a new sale agreement. Thereafter, work my way backwards to get the NOC canceled and then issue a fresh one from all legal heirs who are rightful claimants to the car.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 09:33   #650

Thanks @moralfibre

One more layer of complexity is the location. Car, NOC and the buyer is in Mumbai while I am in Bengaluru (that too for a limited time, moving out of country in 1 month).

Looks like I have to hire a lawyer to get the whole issue sorted or is this something that can be done by a RTO agent?

Is it possible to make a fresh sale of the car while NOC is already issued?

Is there anyway to cancel NOC online (just with NOC number?)
Old 1st July 2021, 11:54   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm3899_CHD View Post
Hye fellow Bhpians, I am selling my Fortuner for 32.15 lakhs. The buyer is giving me 10.15 lakh cash and 22 lakhs in R.T.G.S. The 10 lakh cash is not black money and they have withdrawn it from the bank. In the affidavit also, the mentioned amount will be 32 Lakhs 15 Thousand. Now please tell me that will I be able to deposit the 10 lakh rupee cash in the bank or it will be counted as black money.
Being late to reply, this can still benefit others. Indian regulations mandated no more than 2 lakhs worth of cash exchange in a single transaction of any vehicle, real estate, bullion etc. This cap was further reduced to 20 thousand INR few years back probably after 2016 demonitisation.
One shouldn t take direct cash over 20 thousand for any single deal thus. But i speak only out of information i read. Our lawyer / accountant friends might get us more clarity based on experience.
Entsurgeon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 12:53   #652
Senior - BHPian

Seeking guidance from experts.

I am presently in Bangalore with a MH registered car for which now I have a prospective buyer who is a local of Bangalore. I will need to get the NOC from Thane RTO where the car is registered for which I have contacted a few agents who quoted 5.5K for the entire process. This may take 4 weeks min considering the Covid situation.

In addition to the above, what else precautions do I need to take to ensure the transfer of liability to the buyer along with ownership & Insurance. The Buyer will need to pay the road tax to register the car in his name, so what if he delays it. The liability will still on me since the ownership transfer hasnt been completed.
Old 9th August 2021, 16:48   #653
BHPian

I want to sell my Ford Ecosport AT (Torque Convertor model), It is registered in Assam and I am based in Assam as well. I have posted it on Team-bhp classifieds. I have never sold my vehicle on my own, One of our old car was sold via car exchange in Maruti Suzuki so no hassle.

Recently got calls from two different persons both happen to be from Bangalore and are seriously considering the Used Ecosport AT cause of the high on road price of a new car in Bangalore. But they need to transfer the Registration to Bangalore and also pay lifetime road tax I guess.

On the contrary, People in my location are new to Automatics and many don't even realise the high price of a new car before low-balling the quoted price for my Ecosport.

I have been through this thread(Mostly). Got the list of Documents necessary like Ownership transfer NOC, Finance NOC, All the forms, Notarized Agreement Papers etc.
But I have my apprehensions.
Once I get the money, I have to pre-close the car loan and then will sign the agreement and ship the car?

My question is, what should be the best procedure to follow, if I plan to sell my car from Assam to Bangalore, Karnataka?
Or instead wait for some suitable option in my own state itself?
Old 30th August 2021, 12:10   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
My question is, what should be the best procedure to follow, if I plan to sell my car from Assam to Bangalore, Karnataka?
Or instead wait for some suitable option in my own state itself?
Selling in the state itself will be better, I think. I too can have a look if you want.
BhaskarG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 12:49   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhaskarG View Post
Selling in the state itself will be better, I think. I too can have a look if you want.
Surely, you can have a look.
I too want to sell it within Assam but I am really struggling to find any buyers for my car here for the minimum price I need.
Old 26th September 2021, 16:14   #656
BHPian

Is there a checklist or guide to selling on portals like Cars24. They are quite prompt and eager to close deals. Additionally, I am selling car of Chandigarh RTO in Pune.
Old 29th September 2021, 14:28   #657
BHPian

Guys, I am in the process of selling my old car and one of the prospective individual buyer has proposed the following process:
- He pays me 90% of the price and takes the car after leaving signed Form 29, 30, aadhar, PAN copy
- I get the RC transferred to his name.
- On completion, he pays back remaining 10% and collects the new RC card from me

Seems alright to me. Any catch here? The only I can think of is what if RTO sends new RC card directly to his address? I will have no leverage then to recover my 10%,no? Please advise.
CosmicWizard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 19:08   #658
Team-BHP Support

If you are trying to sell a car wih a fitness certificate about to expire. Think twice, you are asking to be lowballed.

I tried selling a Corolla before second COVID wave with an expiring FC. Got derisory offers amd many fence sitters. I spent a couple of weeks and 25 k in new tyres as well as RTO expenses. Readvertised the car. Had 3 very interested buyers and offers, a good 20% higher!
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 14:50   #659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Guys, I am in the process of selling my old car and one of the prospective individual buyer has proposed the following process:
- He pays me 90% of the price and takes the car after leaving signed Form 29, 30, aadhar, PAN copy
- I get the RC transferred to his name.
- On completion, he pays back remaining 10% and collects the new RC card from me

Seems alright to me. Any catch here? The only I can think of is what if RTO sends new RC card directly to his address? I will have no leverage then to recover my 10%,no? Please advise.
From my experience with a friend who sold his car, hand over the keys to the car only after you have received the payment in full. RC Cards are usually sent directly to the address mentioned on the RC Card so you will have zero leverage and then starts a long period of follow up. (Might be different if the transfer will happen through an agent).

EDIT: Just noticed your post is more than a month old! But hope you collected the amount in full.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 11th November 2021 at 14:52.
Old 15th November 2021, 14:07   #660
BHPian

Guys,

Selling my car to a gentleman from OLX who applied for loan for my car. He says the process as following

1. Buyer finalized my car and gave a nominal token
2. Buyer to pay 50% in cash and applied for 50% loan, asked for my RC, insurance and ID proofs (for loan application)
3. Bank inspected my car the following day and approved the loan on day 3
4. Bank will send the sanctioned loan amount to an Intermediate Person (Bank Personnel) who then holds the money till RC transfer is initiated
5. Buyer asking for Form 29 and 30. Once the forms are submitted to RTO, the Intermediate (Bank) Personnel will send loan amount to Buyer's account who will then send this (loan) amount in my account

6. After complete payment, I will handover the key and car

Now my worry is #4 and #5.
Is the Intermediate (bank) Personnel thing correct?
And if I initiate RC transfer before I get total amount, could there be a scenario for me to worry about?

Thanks guys!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks