Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2019, 21:03   #601
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to sell a *USED* car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZombie View Post
dealer insists that they will provide me with delivery note which will transfer responsibility to them till they sell the car. Also, they assured me that they will not sell the car without doing proper ownership transfer.
Well, to get the deal closed, the dealers are known to promise almost everything under the sun. But once you sign on the dotted lines, their attitude will surely change.

Also, the delivery note that they are talking about would be a letter or receipt which may or may not hold a legal value if anything goes wrong before the ownership was transferred.

Are you getting any additional exchange bonus apart from your car's value? If not why not try selling it through online classified.

When I was planning to sell my Opel Corsa, I tried evaluating the car with multiple dealerships. Almost everyone quoted way less than what I could get through a direct sale. I was able to sell it through OLX for approximately 30K-35K more than what dealers were offering.
R-Six is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 21:12   #602
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZombie View Post
Dealer is not willing to transfer to their name as it will make them 2nd owner and will reduce value of car.
That argument is BS. A car doesn't get transferred just by signing the forms, they need to be submitted to the RTO and processed. What it does is keeps the dealer out of the loop of the transaction, so you shoulder the liability while they keep the car. In this scenario, you'll obviously sign a second set of forms after an actual buyer is found (and destroy the first set).

Quote:
dealer insists that they will provide me with delivery note which will transfer responsibility to them till they sell the car. Also, they assured me that they will not sell the car without doing proper ownership transfer.
Transactions like these, due to RTO timelines involved, obviously need some level of trust between both parties. You should still keep in mind delivery notes aren't worth the paper they're written on. RTOs only acknowledge forms/undertakings formally issued by them, and you're still the car's legal owner while the transfer process in ongoing at the RTO, though ownership status in RTO records is changed to 'NOC Issued' once the transfer is approved.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 11:39   #603
BHPian

An aquaintance had sold their car in March this year, signed all the blank transfer documents, which the buyer had said he will fill in later, and handed over to the buyer.

Now, while checking online, it shows the car is now registered in the buyer's RTO (Chandapura), but the owner name is still of my aquaintance.

Is it even possible to register the same car in a different RTO with the same name? What should be done now to have this corrected? They're pretty helpless and have no clue how to approach this.
Old 7th December 2019, 11:46   #604
BHPian

I am in the process of selling my i20 which I bought last year. After reading the TBHP article on selling to Cars24, thought I would also check with local dealers.

I met this dealer yesterday and sent him the car snaps (without number plate shown). The dealer wants to quote the price only after I send him the RC snap. Not sure why he wants the RC photo. Should I send him?

My car has run 5800 kms till date and yesterday he mentioned that another i20 Asta (O) which had run 1500 kms was bought by him for 6.10 lakhs which is very low in my opinion. I am not expecting anything less than 7 lakhs.

Is that reasonable what I am expecting?
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 22:47   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I am in the process of selling my i20 which I bought last year. After reading the TBHP article on selling to Cars24, thought I would also check with local dealers.

I met this dealer yesterday and sent him the car snaps (without number plate shown). The dealer wants to quote the price only after I send him the RC snap. Not sure why he wants the RC photo. Should I send him?

My car has run 5800 kms till date and yesterday he mentioned that another i20 Asta (O) which had run 1500 kms was bought by him for 6.10 lakhs which is very low in my opinion. I am not expecting anything less than 7 lakhs.

Is that reasonable what I am expecting?

I had been advised by a dealer (incidentally from whom I bought a car) that RC copies can be misused. Apparently some manage to even put in a lien it and get money (I have no clue how its possible). So better figure out the reason and the best way would be to ask him politely the logic behind demanding the RC copy for a quote.

W.r.t the quote, if you have the patience, then you can sell it directly via olx etc. But be ready to be bombarded with low ballers and weeding them out is a pain. Also online ads + OBV etc should give you a fair indication of the market price.

IMO, your expectation is fair. I assume from the price expectation that its a petrol and a top variant.
Old 8th December 2019, 07:55   #606
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Absolutely not. There have been several cases where scammers have created car sale listings using the RC copies shared by the actual owner.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 21:06   #607
Senior - BHPian

Is it necessary to get the hypothecation removed from RC before selling the car to an individual?

When I will be handing over all the relevant forms/documents/original RCs/NOC from the bank, wouldn't it be then handled by new owner only?

I wanted to confirm if a new owner can't get the hypothecation removed during the RC transfer process (again with NOC being provided).

PS - The loan dues were settled 5 years back and a valid NOC is available.

Last edited by bluevolt : 30th December 2019 at 21:25.
Old 30th December 2019, 23:23   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Is it necessary to get the hypothecation removed from RC before selling the car to an individual?

When I will be handing over all the relevant forms/documents/original RCs/NOC from the bank, wouldn't it be then handled by new owner only?

I wanted to confirm if a new owner can't get the hypothecation removed during the RC transfer process (again with NOC being provided).
From my recent experience of selling my Nano to an Individual through Renault dealership (acting as a middleman), I had to bring in the Hypothecation Removal Letter from my Bank as well as a No Objection Certificate from the bank stating when the loan was finished etc. (They have a format for it, has to be on the Bank Letterhead and stamped and signed by the Manager, along with the Car Loan Account number stated in the text).

I had to do it, because I had promised the buyer that the selling price will include Transfer of Ownership charges. It is up to you to negotiate with the buyer if he will bear those charges, or will you have to bear the brunt from your side while doing transfer of ownership.

From what I know, you only will have to procure the necessary documents from your bank's side, as they know you and not the buyer. Rest of the things can be handled at the RTO, or the Dealership (in my case). But remember, both the parties have to be present in front of the RTO Officer when the forms are submitted to sign in their presence and close the deal.

I did not have to furnish a NOC from the RTO as I was selling it in Dehradun only (car was and is still under Dehradun RTO jurisdiction).

Hope it helps...
AdityaDeane is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 18:43   #609
BHPian

Hi guys,
I want to transfer ownership of my Swift 2008 to my cousin who stays at Nashik.

My car is mumbai registered (MH03) and need to transfer to Nashik RTO (whatever MHXX that would mean). My car is NOT under any hypothecation.

I see that there are official online services available here:
https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/vahan...homepage.xhtml

It has a neat option to 'Apply for ownership' where i need to fill in the details, make the fee payment.

Has someone tried this? Is it as straight forward as it seems to be?

Also do i still need to fill in the forms specified in this thread here :
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ownin...ml#post1411821 (ARTICLE: How to sell a *USED* car in India)
Old 21st January 2020, 18:53   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkher View Post
Also do i still need to fill in the forms specified in this thread here
I cannot comment on how efficient that online portal is.

But for transferring the ownership of the car to your cousin, you'll have to process the file using these forms. AFAIK, even if it is not a sale and you are gifting the car to your cousin, these documents will have to be submitted for the transfer of ownership in RTO records.

For RTO, this will work like just any other reregistration process.

Also, given that your car is already 12 years old, before you get the NOC from your current RTO, make sure that your cousin inquires at the Nasik RTO to see if they allow registration of older vehicles.
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 10:11   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Also, given that your car is already 12 years old, before you get the NOC from your current RTO, make sure that your cousin inquires at the Nasik RTO to see if they allow registration of older vehicles.
Thanks! I'll ask my cousin to check with Nashik RTO regarding the registration of older vehicles
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:25   #612
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
There is absolutely no reason why Nashik RTO should deny re-registration. The RC renewal happens at 15 years which can be an elaborate but straightforward process but that is years away.
Old 22nd January 2020, 14:44   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
There is absolutely no reason why Nashik RTO should deny re-registration. The RC renewal happens at 15 years which can be an elaborate but straightforward process but that is years away.
Not sure about Nasik, but here in Ahmedabad, RTO does not entertain re-registering out of station cars. When I wanted to reregister my Pune registered bike to Ahmedabad (MH12 to GJ1) some years back, they denied saying that they won't register vehicles older than 2008. It had something to do with the emission norms and whatnot. This has nothing to do with the re-registration we do after 15 years validity thing. I'm talking about transfer of ownership process.

One of my friends also faced the same problem when he wanted to transfer the ownership of a Fortuner he had picked up from Mumbai. My friend had to write to Toyota to get an email on their letterhead confirming that the Fortuner he picked up was falling under the emission norms (BS4 I guess) before he could complete the registration. This was in spite of the fact that the same model Fortuner was still in production and was being sold through dealerships.

So, it is always better to confirm before we get the NOC from the home RTO to the target one.

Thanks
R-Six

Last edited by R-Six : 22nd January 2020 at 14:46.
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 17:17   #614

I recently exchanged my BS4 car at a Tata Motors dealership in Mumbai.
As practice, they have issued the Delivery note, got my Form 29,30 signed. The ownership is not yet transferred as the car apparently has only been sold to the "reseller" and a final buyer is not yet found.

With BS6 norms kicking in on 1-Apr-2020, can the car not be sold (or rather registered for the new owner) after 31-Mar?
Old 19th February 2020, 17:55   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post
With BS6 norms kicking in on 1-Apr-2020, can the car not be sold (or rather registered for the new owner) after 31-Mar?
That is only about registration of new bs4 cars. Not relevant to the re registration of used bs4 cars.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks