Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2019, 13:39   #586
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to sell a *USED* car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Another tip:

Keep the duplicate key + remote in your pocket. If the potential buyer drives aggressively and you need to stop car safely, you have control

Also, if he tries to do a runner with the car when changing drivers or examining car, blip the remote. You have a 5 sec advantage to get to the driver seat and take control before he realises what happened!
Huh? Apologies for being dumb, but could you maybe explain exactly how this works? What exactly would "blipping" the remote do to a running car (and what do you mean by blipping - hit the lock button or unlock button or something?)

Thanks and cheers
Old 15th July 2019, 16:00   #587
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Huh? Apologies for being dumb, but could you maybe explain exactly how this works? What exactly would "blipping" the remote do to a running car (and what do you mean by blipping - hit the lock button or unlock button or something?)

Thanks and cheers
It should disable the engine and activate the immobiliser
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 22:58   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You had better send in Form TCR to your RTO anyway just to cover yourself legally.
I have physically approached the RTO and enquired and they said there is no such system of intimation. They asked me to submit the documents which I actually expected that the buyer would submit (according to RTO, the seller has to submit all those documents - including address proofs of the buyer, the payment receipt etc.)

Anyway, that was back in April when I sold the vehicle. After a few days I checked on Vahan website and the name of the new owner came up properly.
Today when I check, there is another owner name. It is quite possible that this guy has sold the car to someone else. The easy way to confirm this is to check the number of owners, but the Vahan website is not showing me this information in the RC details page (there is no such field itself)

When I try to use some of the other online services from that website
-e.g. transfer of owner from which I could try and see the number of owners, I get this message:

Alert! SMART CARD RC is pending for activation as application has been made for MH190725Vxxxxxx.

What does this mean?

Secondly now I am trying to sell another vehicle (a scooter) and the buyer wants to buy it in his company name. Which documents shall be needed from buyer side?
Old 26th July 2019, 06:08   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I have physically approached the RTO and enquired and they said there is no such system of intimation. They asked me to submit the documents which I actually expected that the buyer would submit (according to RTO, the seller has to submit all those documents - including address proofs of the buyer, the payment receipt etc.)
The form exists and is defined in the motor vehicles act so if the individual RTO official isn’t aware of it because most people don’t bother that’s his or her lookout. Print this, fill it in and take a xerox. Then submit it at your RTO along with a copy of the paperwork.

https://transport.maharashtra.gov.in...R/form_tcr.pdf

Many second hand dealers will keep a car unregistered and then sell it on to a buyer. To avoid all such issues never hand over blank and signed RTO transfer forms to an individual buyer who could be a small time dealer. Always get a copy of the buyers ID and give forms filled up with their particulars.

Send a copy of that along with form TCR and another copy to your insurer so you can get a NCB letter and also tell them the car is sold so no further claims on it are going to be borne by you till the buyer endorses the policy to his name.

The RTO error means transfer is in progress for that car and it will continue till the smart card RC is issued which may take some weeks after the actual transfer is done.

For sale to a company name get a copy of the company registration certificate and authorised signatory details on a letterhead.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 23:31   #590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Many second hand dealers will keep a car unregistered and then sell it on to a buyer. To avoid all such issues never hand over blank and signed RTO transfer forms to an individual buyer who could be a small time dealer. Always get a copy of the buyers ID and give forms filled up with their particulars.
We both filled the form and signed it in person. The buyer was an individual and the car was transferred to his name since I had checked it on Vahan website after about a month and it was in the correct buyer name. Now the name is different.

Quote:
Send a copy of that along with form TCR and another copy to your insurer so you can get a NCB letter and also tell them the car is sold so no further claims on it are going to be borne by you till the buyer endorses the policy to his name.
It was third party insurance so there was no NCB. Typically the buyer transfers the insurance in his/ her name I believe.

Quote:
The RTO error means transfer is in progress for that car and it will continue till the smart card RC is issued which may take some weeks after the actual transfer is done.

For sale to a company name get a copy of the company registration certificate and authorised signatory details on a letterhead.
Thanks!
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 23:59   #591
Senior - BHPian

Selling my remaining vehicles to my neighbour.
We are both in PUNE RTO jurisdiction. Is Form 28 really necessary in this case?
Old 27th August 2019, 07:19   #592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Selling my remaining vehicles to my neighbour.
We are both in PUNE RTO jurisdiction. Is Form 28 really necessary in this case?
If in the same RTO out of Pune’s several RTOs then you don’t need a NOC.

If you’re in different RTO regions then you do.
Old 21st September 2019, 20:46   #593
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Hi All! Can anyone guide me on the step-by-step documentation needs when one has to buy/sell a vehicle?
My i20 has gotten pretty old and is due for change but the whole process of disposing of a car seems very cumbersome to me so wanted to get a detailed idea of the exact and 'right' procedure.
Old 21st September 2019, 21:30   #594
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Can anyone guide me on the step-by-step documentation needs when one has to buy/sell a vehicle?
Here you go : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ownin...car-india.html (ARTICLE: How to sell a *USED* car in India)
Klub Class is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2019, 00:01   #595
Senior - BHPian

So there is no need of Form 28 if the buyer is from the same RTO.

I have few questions here.

1. If i had a loan that has been paid off and I have the NOC from the bank do I still have to get the Form 30?

2. If not, then its only 2 additional documents right? Form 28 and the Delivery Note.

3. Also, its the buyer's responsibility right to submit these documents?

4. And he has to submit all these documents in his RTO or mine? How do we ensure he does all of these in time? Do we set a date and I accompany him to the RTO?

Sorry for the noob questions but I have never sold a car myself.
Old 22nd September 2019, 00:10   #596
Senior - BHPian

You need Hypothecation Cancellation first and then transfer of ownership. There is a thread for what you need for Hypothecation Cancellation on tbhp look it up.

It is the buyer's responsibility to submit

You have to -

1. Take the sale paperwork copy to your insurer and get an NCB certificate + intimate them that the car is sold

2. Find form TCR online, fill it and hand it to the RTO with a copy of your sale paperwork, either over the counter (so collect a xerox of the covering letter after getting it stamped by the rto) or registered post acknowledgement due

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
So there is no need of Form 28 if the buyer is from the same RTO.

I have few questions here.

1. If i had a loan that has been paid off and I have the NOC from the bank do I still have to get the Form 30?

2. If not, then its only 2 additional documents right? Form 28 and the Delivery Note.

3. Also, its the buyer's responsibility right to submit these documents?

4. And he has to submit all these documents in his RTO or mine? How do we ensure he does all of these in time? Do we set a date and I accompany him to the RTO?

Sorry for the noob questions but I have never sold a car myself.
Old 22nd September 2019, 00:16   #597
Senior - BHPian

ARTICLE: How to sell a *USED* car in India

Quote:
You need Hypothecation Cancellation first and then transfer of ownership. There is a thread for what you need for Hypothecation Cancellation on tbhp look it up.

It is the buyer's responsibility to submit

You have to -

1. Take the sale paperwork copy to your insurer and get an NCB certificate + intimate them that the car is sold

2. Find form TCR online, fill it and hand it to the RTO with a copy of your sale paperwork, either over the counter (so collect a xerox of the covering letter after getting it stamped by the rto) or registered post acknowledgement due

Thanks a lot. Hypothecation removal is already done and I have the revised RC. So my responsibility lies with intimating the RTOs and insurance related business.
Old 23rd October 2019, 15:51   #598
BHPian

I am considering exchanging my old Alto 800 Lxi with the dealer from whom I am purchasing my new car (XUV300). The dealer doesn't want to do the ownership transfer and says it will be done when it is sold to another individual buyer. I know the amount I am getting is a bit lower than my expectation (they offered 1.65l including the exchange bonus, which is about 15K less than what I wanted), however, this will be deducted from the price of the new car, thereby reducing my loan amount and will save me interest in the long run. I checked with Cars24 and they are offering slightly less amount as the dealer.

After reading the comments and the instructions in this thread, I am a bit skeptical as I don't want to be running after the dealer to get the ownership transferred. From what I understand, I will need the following documents
Bank NOC (this is pending from my end, as I need to visit the branch for the NOC. Loan has been paid)
Form 29 & 30 - Not sure what information I need to provide for the buyer (name/address)
Clearance certificate - I will send copies of the above forms to the Pune RTO and specify the sale and await their acknowledgement. Again, same doubt about buyer details to enter in the letter.
Transfer of insurance policy

I have been asked to hand over the car by tomorrow (also expecting delivery of the new car in a day or two, once the RTO passing is done). Should I do so without getting all other documents in place?
Old 23rd October 2019, 18:38   #599
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZombie View Post
I have been asked to hand over the car by tomorrow (also expecting delivery of the new car in a day or two, once the RTO passing is done). Should I do so without getting all other documents in place?
Why not handover the car the same day as delivery? What's the dealer's hurry unless they have an urgent ready buyer? Will take a while longer to close transactions on the day but you'll have the assurance of not being stranded without a car in case of an unforeseen delay.

As to documents, you really have two choices:

1. Sign Form 29/30 with buyer details blank (insisted upon by dealers but not recommended for you). They'll fill in buyer details when they find a customer and use the forms for re-registration. You're on the hook if ownership transfer isn't applied for.

2. Provide dealer with Form 29/30 with dealer as buyer, and agree a reasonable time period where you'll hold onto these forms and sign new ones once they find a buyer. If the dealer drags his feet or can't sell your car, you can send the documents in your possession to the jurisdictional RTO through Registered Post Acknowledgement Due to indemnify yourself. Legally, you're still on the hook as owner until a transfer is complete but you'll have evidence of completing your side of the transaction, if it ever comes to it.
Old 24th October 2019, 18:08   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Why not handover the car the same day as delivery? What's the dealer's hurry unless they have an urgent ready buyer? Will take a while longer to close transactions on the day but you'll have the assurance of not being stranded without a car in case of an unforeseen delay
This is what I was pushing for but apparently the exchange team will release the funds only after taking the car and that amount gets applied to the new car purchase amount and post that they will generate the tax invoice. SA is saying they cannot proceed with the RTO passing till they have the invoice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
1. Sign Form 29/30 with buyer details blank (insisted upon by dealers but not recommended for you). They'll fill in buyer details when they find a customer and use the forms for re-registration. You're on the hook if ownership transfer isn't applied for.

2. Provide dealer with Form 29/30 with dealer as buyer, and agree a reasonable time period where you'll hold onto these forms and sign new ones once they find a buyer. If the dealer drags his feet or can't sell your car, you can send the documents in your possession to the jurisdictional RTO through Registered Post Acknowledgement Due to indemnify yourself. Legally, you're still on the hook as owner until a transfer is complete but you'll have evidence of completing your side of the transaction, if it ever comes to it.
Dealer is not willing to transfer to their name as it will make them 2nd owner and will reduce value of car. So that leaves me with option one, but dealer insists that they will provide me with delivery note which will transfer responsibility to them till they sell the car. Also, they assured me that they will not sell the car without doing proper ownership transfer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks