Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2017, 05:15   #496
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to sell a *USED* car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Just like for Maruti cars(True Value), any other companies which accept ANY car for exchange with ANY brand refurbished car?
Every second hand dealer or used car arm of company dealerships does this. Toyota trust, Honda auto terrace etc all don’t mind taking whatever old car you have, their focus is to make you walk out with a car from them.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 16:30   #497
BHPian

I could not find answer in other posts. Hence, asking him the same here.

Can I sell my car in West Bengal, India without being present in India? Is it possible to do the ownership transfer by giving authorization letter/power of attorney to any of my relative?

I am currently out of India due to work. However, one of my close friend wants to buy my car and he wants to get the deal done soon.

Regards,

Mayukh
Old 15th September 2017, 17:16   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh View Post
I could not find answer in other posts. Hence, asking him the same here.

Can I sell my car in West Bengal, India without being present in India? Is it possible to do the ownership transfer by giving authorization letter/power of attorney to any of my relative?

I am currently out of India due to work. However, one of my close friend wants to buy my car and he wants to get the deal done soon.

Regards,

Mayukh
Depends on the RTO. If it's Beltala you can without being present through an agent.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 09:42   #499
BHPian

Have a set of queries:

1. Does the 1% TCS rule apply while selling used cars whose sale value is more than 10L?
2. If yes, then how should this be handled when the sale is between two individuals (no brokers)?

Thanks.
Old 4th October 2017, 16:09   #500
BHPian

Sold my 52000km 2013 Vento TDI highline in Bangalore

First approached Cars24. Very fancy company with lots of process and checks. First quote 3.9 and then second quote 4.2.
Mahindra first was the next, and they offered 4.25.
Finally went to Volkswagen mysore road and got an offer of 5. Closed the deal at 5.1 lakhs.
OLX was a disaster. Too many messages from small time dealers ranging from 3 to 4.75. Also I was worried about non transfer of RC etc.

Indian bluebook showed 5.35 and I was prepared to sell anything above 5. I had to buy my next car in TN. Else would have exchanged here. For exchange they give another 20K and there is an exchange bonus on top of this for new car as well. So if you are trying to sell a VW car, check in VW dealership as well.
prabhuferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 14:46   #501
BHPian

Guys, I am about to sell my car in Bangalore. I have already accepted a proposal. The complication lies in the fact that I lost my Original RC. I have applied for a DRC and I am still to receive it. The buyer was already made aware of it.

Now, I have to travel overseas in a short amount of time as well. What are my options? Do I need to get my DRC physically in order to go ahead? And there is also a matter of closing a loan. Any suggestions?
Old 9th November 2017, 03:08   #502
BHPian

Team,
I'm in a bit of a spot.
I will have to check docs and report back, but here's what has happened.

* I've sold my car off to a dealer in Chandigarh via bank transfer.
* I've got an affidavit confirming the sale and the delivery note with the dealer's details on them.
* I also signed on blank form 29 and 30 documents with just my details, as the dealer wanted to do up the car prior to re-selling.
* That's it - no papers have been handed over to the RTO.

I've only just read about two serious lapses.
1. Intimating the RTO about the sale within 14 days- how do I do so without all the docs in one place?
2. Ensuring that the buyer (as yet to be found by the dealer) transfers the car to his/her name.

Please advise what I need to do to get out of this sticky situation.

Last edited by wooka : 9th November 2017 at 03:11.
Old 10th November 2017, 18:56   #503
BHPian

Bump^
Update: the documents I have from the seller are:
1. Aadhar notarized and attested.
2. Pan notarized and attested.
3. Sale affidavit (from RTO booklet) complete and in the dealer's name.
4. Delivery receipt (from RTO booklet) complete and in the dealer's name.

I signed forms 29 and 30 without all details filled in.
As of today, no papers have been filed at the RTO.

Both documents (point 3 and 4) state that the dealer is liable for anything henceforth, including non-filing of paperwork going forward (15-day timeframe notwithstanding.)
Do I need to take correction action?
Old 10th November 2017, 19:25   #504
Senior - BHPian

File a copy of all this information with the RTO to signify that you have sold it. Keep a copy with yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
I signed forms 29 and 30 without all details filled in.
As of today, no papers have been filed at the RTO.

Both documents (point 3 and 4) state that the dealer is liable for anything henceforth, including non-filing of paperwork going forward (15-day timeframe notwithstanding.)
Do I need to take correction action?
Old 10th November 2017, 19:32   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
File a copy of all this information with the RTO to signify that you have sold it. Keep a copy with yourself.
May I ask how and what is to be done?

Do I just go to the RTO and say this is what happened, can you please stamp and sign this?

Will they not ask for form 29 and 30? I have neither.
Old 10th November 2017, 19:58   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May I ask how and what is to be done?

Do I just go to the RTO and say this is what happened, can you please stamp and sign this?

Will they not ask for form 29 and 30? I have neither.
Just go to the RTO and give them a covering letter with a copy of whatever documents you have. The covering letter states that you have been paid wrt (cheque details / bank transfer details), the RC and vehicle possession are handed over and delivery note, sale receipt collected, and copy of all documents received are enclosed.

The objective is to move liability away from you in case the dealer is using it for his personal use or is otherwise driving it and meets with an accident. His lookout to get the car registered when he sells it.

Ideally sell it to reputed car dealers (large and established second hand dealers, or car showrooms) rather than random guy on the street. If you sell to a random guy ensure that papers are all in his name.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 21:59   #507
BHPian

Thanks, @hserus, will post back Monday EOD - making the outstation trip to move liability off me, as you said

What kind of a receipt should I expect? I plan to take the dually signed (by the dealer and me) papers with photocopies, and two covering letters in original.
Old 11th November 2017, 07:26   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, @hserus, will post back Monday EOD - making the outstation trip to move liability off me, as you said

What kind of a receipt should I expect? I plan to take the dually signed (by the dealer and me) papers with photocopies, and two covering letters in original.
What they often do is to stamp and sign a copy of the covering letter and hand it back to you.
Old 14th November 2017, 18:01   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
What they often do is to stamp and sign a copy of the covering letter and hand it back to you.
Thank you good sir, this is precisely what happened and I am glad I traveled to do so.

Now, do I have to act on the guy not being able to dispose of the vehicle in the stipulated time frame (of which 6 days are left) and if not, do I totally forget I owned that vehicle? I'd like very much to see it transferred and a new without my name on it... just don't know if I have any leverage.
Old 14th November 2017, 18:15   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you good sir, this is precisely what happened and I am glad I traveled to do so.

Now, do I have to act on the guy not being able to dispose of the vehicle in the stipulated time frame (of which 6 days are left) and if not, do I totally forget I owned that vehicle? I'd like very much to see it transferred and a new without my name on it... just don't know if I have any leverage.
It is out of your hands and not your responsibility now. If any cop comes asking you about it you can show them the paper stamped by the RTO and give him the dealer's address.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks