Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On owning a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning-car/67729-article-how-run-your-new-car-4.html)

wolfinstein 13th May 2007 12:42

First Oil change is at 10 K..Most new cars have delayed oil change..!

No harm if you get it done at the Manufacture recommended Interval, However its good to have the first change at 1000 Km and then follow the mentioned intervals..!

Don't worry your car will be ok even till 10 K, I got my XETA oil changed at 10 K and the Oil was pretty clean..!

swathyd 14th May 2007 10:53

How about adding addictives before proper running in. Especially anti friction addictives.

arunforu1 14th May 2007 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by swathyd (Post 436914)
How about adding addictives before proper running in. Especially anti friction addictives.

adding antifriction additives will delay "RUN IN" process, it is essentially a process of wearing out the parts to reach with correct working tolerances.

After run in, you can add anti friction additives.

gautamballal 27th May 2007 11:53

hey all check what this guys says
can someone from team bhp confirm this

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

drpullockaran 27th May 2007 12:39

Please do not be mislead into hard break-in.
 
The hard break in is for air cooled bikes I believe and for cars its better to stick to the normal procedure. Do remember that the car is made up of many mating parts and not just the piston rings and cylinder wall. Even your tires need break in.
New or Rebuilt Engine Break In

dadu 27th May 2007 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 435995)
also a friend who did it in a freshly re built 2 stroke motor broke the piston,

Mototune suggests this method for all 4 stroke engines only, so 2 strokes are totally out.

But my personal way, is to go slow for the first 1000 kms atleast and then go aggresive on the engine.

greenhorn 27th May 2007 20:26

Anything extra to be taken care of for turbodiesels ?

austere_sly 27th May 2007 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 450159)
Anything extra to be taken care of for turbodiesels ?

For turbo diesels, do everything same as suggested in Post # 30 http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...tml#post413885 by Diesel Fan and just follow the rule of waiting for at least 30 secs after starting the car and shutting the engine off. It lets your turbo to chill out after a hard run.

Also most manufactures like Toyota and Hyundai have suggested to use Regular Diesel only and not the additives one for their Crdi cars.

drpullockaran 28th May 2007 00:11

PalioGTX definitely requires a running in as mentioned on page 112 of the users manual under the heading oil consumption.
Bye and wear your seat belts.

swathyd 28th May 2007 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by drpullockaran (Post 450315)
PalioGTX definitely requires a running in as mentioned on page 112 of the users manual under the heading oil consumption.
Bye and wear your seat belts.

This section doesnt prescribe any particular way in which it (running in)can be done.

swathyd 28th May 2007 16:17

I met a friend today who has worked with a car dealer. He told me that they used to transfer vehicles from one showroom to another.(eg. calicut to trivandrum and vice versa.400 odd kms).

Whenever they did it , they used to cross 140 km/hour. And it was on a new vehicle( pre dlivery). I asked the guy did it cause some damage to the engine, he replied that it actually made engine more smoth snd silent. And also that such vehicles used to give better mileage than soft handled vehicles with owners. The average speed was above 85km/hr they covered 400 kms within 4 hrs.

nikunj_cal 28th May 2007 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by swathyd (Post 450877)
I met a friend today who has worked with a car dealer. He told me that they used to transfer vehicles from one showroom to another.(eg. calicut to trivandrum and vice versa.400 odd kms).

Whenever they did it , they used to cross 140 km/hour. And it was on a new vehicle( pre dlivery). I asked the guy did it cause some damage to the engine, he replied that it actually made engine more smoth snd silent. And also that such vehicles used to give better mileage than soft handled vehicles with owners. The average speed was above 85km/hr they covered 400 kms within 4 hrs.

Now thats interesting.... . I hope it is true because recently i just could not resist and have floored my swift diesel car 7-8 times , i hope it does not affect the run in process !! Rest of the times i just use a bit of the turbo say 2 to 3 seconds ( enough for you to leave the cars behind) and then upshift . Dont have an rpm meter so dunnow my rev limits while doing the same but i guess should be less than 2500 rpm !

bruty 28th May 2007 17:12

If it were true then why the manufacture companies always write in their manuals to maintain certain speed limits or rpm.

swathyd 28th May 2007 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikunj_cal (Post 450937)
Now thats interesting.... . I hope it is true because recently i just could not resist and have floored my swift diesel car 7-8 times , i hope it does not affect the run in process !! Rest of the times i just use a bit of the turbo say 2 to 3 seconds ( enough for you to leave the cars behind) and then upshift . Dont have an rpm meter so dunnow my rev limits while doing the same but i guess should be less than 2500 rpm !

The man who told me about running cars hard asked me not to do it with diesel cars.

ashwinsaval 28th May 2007 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by swathyd (Post 435753)
I believe in the mototune way for running in.
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
this is the best method and this is my experience with
pulsar classic 180
maruti zen
new RB20DET (for my nissan car)

Dear friends,

I think you might have read the article in this link. How do you think about 'breaking in' this way. Has anybody tried this method ?[/quote]
Yes swathyd, there is someone who has done it. i remember our wagonr lxi (purchase date:october 2006 from chowgule Goa), was run in without significant high rpm's till the first service but after first service, it was given some stick(that means really high rpms, though it doesnt have an rpm meter, you know when a car is running at high rpm's!!) till second and third service(Car was used heavy duty hence quicker services). Now it runs very smoothly, it revvs freely and gives fe of 16-17 avg city and highway driving combined with mixed ac\non-ac driving.In my opinion, till the first service is up, it should b driven carefully, after that give it some stick.


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:58.