Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On owning a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning-car/67729-article-how-run-your-new-car-8.html)

GTO 4th October 2007 17:57

Hi rathoreh

For a brand new engine, varying speeds are better than maintaining one consistent speed.

BlackPearl 4th October 2007 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by rathoreh (Post 584330)
i'm buying a Zen Estilo. would it be ok if I took the car out on a 1300 km road trip a couple of days after buying it? it's going to be open highway 99% of the way.Im getting the car in 2 days and planning the road trip next week.

@rathoreh - would suggest you to at least clock 1000 Km in city before hitting the open road. as GTO has mentioned, you should continuously vary the speeds during running in period keeping the rpm below 3000.

Jaggu 4th October 2007 22:31

Hit the open roads and try the following, keep varying the speeds (in all the geras) and no aggressive accelerations and decelerations/braking for first 250 kms atleast.

try to take 10-15 mts break every 80-120 kms during the first 500 kms, increase the gap between the breaks as you put in more kms.

enjoy your trip.

simonkayar 4th October 2007 23:23

Hi rathoreh, aren't we supposed to take the first service after 1000 km. If so how are you planning to do since your trip is of 1300 kms. Just my thought. I too am a newbie

rathoreh 5th October 2007 01:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 584672)
Hit the open roads and try the following, keep varying the speeds (in all the geras) and no aggressive accelerations and decelerations/braking for first 250 kms atleast.

try to take 10-15 mts break every 80-120 kms during the first 500 kms, increase the gap between the breaks as you put in more kms.

enjoy your trip.

That sounds like a winner to me. I'll go easy on the revs. I'm opting for the LXi so no tacho in the car so i'll have to watch it.

Jaggu Dada what would be the ideal speed to be maintained on the highway for the Estilo?

Quote:

Originally Posted by simonkayar (Post 584672)
Hi rathoreh, aren't we supposed to take the first service after 1000 km. If so how are you planning to do since your trip is of 1300 kms. Just my thought. I too am a newbie

Hey sorry, I should have been more specific, it's a 1300 km round trip - about 660 each way, I am starting from Gurgaon, going to my village deep in the heart of Rajasthan and then my hometown Jodhpur and back. I guess my in-city running within Jodhpur should put me around the 900km mark, before the trip I will goto Delhi to get the ICE installation so I should be nearing the 900k while in Jodhpur, will get the first service done @ the local Maruti service.

thefreak 11th October 2007 19:09

Read through the entire thread. Am more confused that I was when I started because then I had only one reference point.

Situation: I am buying a Civic. The Honda salesman was very explicit in stating that it does not need a run in. His words were "Sir you can take it out of the garage and do 150 kmph"...

After reading this thread I think otherwise :)

Two quick questions:

1. As I gathered we must subject our car to a variety of rpms during run in. If this is so then should we not push the car to 3000 or even 4000 rpms sometimes? If we keep the car below 2500 rpm (as suggested) then would we not be limiting it to a very narrow band of 1000rpm (idling) to 2500 rpm?

2. If I want to take out my newly acquired vehicle for a highway cruise - How long should a car be kept at a particular speed? 5 mins? then reduce speed and move to another rpm? Should this be significantly different? I mean if i move from 100 in fifth to 80 in 4th I would still be doing basically the same rpms (approx)... so should I be dropping to 1500 rpm in fifth instead?

wheelsNsqueals 12th October 2007 12:03

Congrats for your new Civic.

If I were you, I wouldn't take the salesman too seriously. In Honda showrooms, and I guess in others too, they employ young guys and girls straight out of college as salespeople. I wouldn't bet my cars future on them.
I suggest you look up the manual and discuss with the technical guys. The thumb rule is drive within 2500 rpm and use all gears and in all kinds of traffic situations. Don't push the car too much for the first 1000 kms. Beyond that, you can gradually increase the rpm levels. 2500kms is the normal run in period. Driving at any particular speed for any length of time does not make a difference. Just drive normally within the rpm range.

anupmathur 13th October 2007 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelsNsqueals (Post 592961)
Driving at any particular speed for any length of time does not make a difference.

That's not what most manufacturers say!
More like:
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 584428)
For a brand new engine, varying speeds are better than maintaining one consistent speed.

Also good to bear in mind never to be in too high a gear at too low a speed - that really stresses the engine.

Venkatesh.C 13th October 2007 11:30

People, all of what our brilliant forum seniors advise on this has a science behind. Get that and you will only find it all too logical and natural why they say so. Following rules of 1500 or 2500 rpm wont help much(well you could do it if you want to).
Its all about mating folks. Its gotta be tough and rough at the beginning. Go easy on her and things start getting smoother after the first 2500......

Kms of course.

Venkatesh.C 13th October 2007 22:50

Well what i meant was following rules of 1500rpm 2500 rpm without understanding the science is not going to help. I guess i ended up making saying the opposite. Pls ignore

anupmathur 14th October 2007 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C (Post 594463)
I guess i ended up making saying the opposite. Pls ignore

Never mind Venkatesh. Happens to all of us. It's to do with increased friction amongst the neurons. A wee bit of boric acid sprinkled on the scalp might help reduce that friction considerably! :D However, do check with your doctor first.

Venkatesh.C 14th October 2007 13:50

Aye Aye Sir :) I need to run in my top floor too

anupmathur 14th October 2007 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C (Post 594744)
Aye Aye Sir :) I need to run in my top floor too

Oh Venkat, you are funny!
Please remember to keep the rpm within the stipulated ranges!

indivic 15th October 2007 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefreak (Post 592255)
Read through the entire thread. Am more confused that I was when I started because then I had only one reference point.

Situation: I am buying a Civic. The Honda salesman was very explicit in stating that it does not need a run in. His words were "Sir you can take it out of the garage and do 150 kmph"...

After reading this thread I think otherwise :)

Two quick questions:

1. As I gathered we must subject our car to a variety of rpms during run in. If this is so then should we not push the car to 3000 or even 4000 rpms sometimes? If we keep the car below 2500 rpm (as suggested) then would we not be limiting it to a very narrow band of 1000rpm (idling) to 2500 rpm?

2. If I want to take out my newly acquired vehicle for a highway cruise - How long should a car be kept at a particular speed? 5 mins? then reduce speed and move to another rpm? Should this be significantly different? I mean if i move from 100 in fifth to 80 in 4th I would still be doing basically the same rpms (approx)... so should I be dropping to 1500 rpm in fifth instead?


The Civic idles at around 800 RPM , you can see it when you do a cold start, it starts off at 1100-1200 RPM and if you idle the engine for a minute or so it comes down to 800 RPM.

The speeds indicated in the Civic manual for each gear are almost spot on if you do indulge in some sporty driving , try to stick to that you will not strain the engine either way.

anupmathur 15th October 2007 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by indivic (Post 595389)
The speeds indicated in the Civic manual for each gear are almost spot on if you do indulge in some sporty driving , try to stick to that you will not strain the engine either way.

I doubt that. Those are speeds suggested for NORMAL use, not for running-in.


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:16.