Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2007, 17:57   #106
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi rathoreh

For a brand new engine, varying speeds are better than maintaining one consistent speed.
Old 4th October 2007, 18:06   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathoreh View Post
i'm buying a Zen Estilo. would it be ok if I took the car out on a 1300 km road trip a couple of days after buying it? it's going to be open highway 99% of the way.Im getting the car in 2 days and planning the road trip next week.
@rathoreh - would suggest you to at least clock 1000 Km in city before hitting the open road. as GTO has mentioned, you should continuously vary the speeds during running in period keeping the rpm below 3000.
Old 4th October 2007, 22:31   #108
Team-BHP Support

Hit the open roads and try the following, keep varying the speeds (in all the geras) and no aggressive accelerations and decelerations/braking for first 250 kms atleast.

try to take 10-15 mts break every 80-120 kms during the first 500 kms, increase the gap between the breaks as you put in more kms.

enjoy your trip.
Old 4th October 2007, 23:23   #109
BHPian

Hi rathoreh, aren't we supposed to take the first service after 1000 km. If so how are you planning to do since your trip is of 1300 kms. Just my thought. I too am a newbie
Old 5th October 2007, 01:38   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Hit the open roads and try the following, keep varying the speeds (in all the geras) and no aggressive accelerations and decelerations/braking for first 250 kms atleast.

try to take 10-15 mts break every 80-120 kms during the first 500 kms, increase the gap between the breaks as you put in more kms.

enjoy your trip.
That sounds like a winner to me. I'll go easy on the revs. I'm opting for the LXi so no tacho in the car so i'll have to watch it.

Jaggu Dada what would be the ideal speed to be maintained on the highway for the Estilo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonkayar View Post
Hi rathoreh, aren't we supposed to take the first service after 1000 km. If so how are you planning to do since your trip is of 1300 kms. Just my thought. I too am a newbie
Hey sorry, I should have been more specific, it's a 1300 km round trip - about 660 each way, I am starting from Gurgaon, going to my village deep in the heart of Rajasthan and then my hometown Jodhpur and back. I guess my in-city running within Jodhpur should put me around the 900km mark, before the trip I will goto Delhi to get the ICE installation so I should be nearing the 900k while in Jodhpur, will get the first service done @ the local Maruti service.
Old 11th October 2007, 19:09   #111
BHPian

Read through the entire thread. Am more confused that I was when I started because then I had only one reference point.

Situation: I am buying a Civic. The Honda salesman was very explicit in stating that it does not need a run in. His words were "Sir you can take it out of the garage and do 150 kmph"...

After reading this thread I think otherwise

Two quick questions:

1. As I gathered we must subject our car to a variety of rpms during run in. If this is so then should we not push the car to 3000 or even 4000 rpms sometimes? If we keep the car below 2500 rpm (as suggested) then would we not be limiting it to a very narrow band of 1000rpm (idling) to 2500 rpm?

2. If I want to take out my newly acquired vehicle for a highway cruise - How long should a car be kept at a particular speed? 5 mins? then reduce speed and move to another rpm? Should this be significantly different? I mean if i move from 100 in fifth to 80 in 4th I would still be doing basically the same rpms (approx)... so should I be dropping to 1500 rpm in fifth instead?
Old 12th October 2007, 12:03   #112
BHPian

Congrats for your new Civic.

If I were you, I wouldn't take the salesman too seriously. In Honda showrooms, and I guess in others too, they employ young guys and girls straight out of college as salespeople. I wouldn't bet my cars future on them.
I suggest you look up the manual and discuss with the technical guys. The thumb rule is drive within 2500 rpm and use all gears and in all kinds of traffic situations. Don't push the car too much for the first 1000 kms. Beyond that, you can gradually increase the rpm levels. 2500kms is the normal run in period. Driving at any particular speed for any length of time does not make a difference. Just drive normally within the rpm range.

Last edited by wheelsNsqueals : 12th October 2007 at 12:05. Reason: choice of words
Old 13th October 2007, 10:56   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsNsqueals View Post
Driving at any particular speed for any length of time does not make a difference.
That's not what most manufacturers say!
More like:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For a brand new engine, varying speeds are better than maintaining one consistent speed.
Also good to bear in mind never to be in too high a gear at too low a speed - that really stresses the engine.
Old 13th October 2007, 11:30   #114
BHPian

People, all of what our brilliant forum seniors advise on this has a science behind. Get that and you will only find it all too logical and natural why they say so. Following rules of 1500 or 2500 rpm wont help much(well you could do it if you want to).
Its all about mating folks. Its gotta be tough and rough at the beginning. Go easy on her and things start getting smoother after the first 2500......

Kms of course.
Old 13th October 2007, 22:50   #115
BHPian

Well what i meant was following rules of 1500rpm 2500 rpm without understanding the science is not going to help. I guess i ended up making saying the opposite. Pls ignore
Old 14th October 2007, 08:28   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C View Post
I guess i ended up making saying the opposite. Pls ignore
Never mind Venkatesh. Happens to all of us. It's to do with increased friction amongst the neurons. A wee bit of boric acid sprinkled on the scalp might help reduce that friction considerably! However, do check with your doctor first.
Old 14th October 2007, 13:50   #117
BHPian

Aye Aye Sir I need to run in my top floor too
Old 14th October 2007, 14:07   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C View Post
Aye Aye Sir I need to run in my top floor too
Oh Venkat, you are funny!
Please remember to keep the rpm within the stipulated ranges!
Old 15th October 2007, 11:32   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
Read through the entire thread. Am more confused that I was when I started because then I had only one reference point.

Situation: I am buying a Civic. The Honda salesman was very explicit in stating that it does not need a run in. His words were "Sir you can take it out of the garage and do 150 kmph"...

After reading this thread I think otherwise

Two quick questions:

1. As I gathered we must subject our car to a variety of rpms during run in. If this is so then should we not push the car to 3000 or even 4000 rpms sometimes? If we keep the car below 2500 rpm (as suggested) then would we not be limiting it to a very narrow band of 1000rpm (idling) to 2500 rpm?

2. If I want to take out my newly acquired vehicle for a highway cruise - How long should a car be kept at a particular speed? 5 mins? then reduce speed and move to another rpm? Should this be significantly different? I mean if i move from 100 in fifth to 80 in 4th I would still be doing basically the same rpms (approx)... so should I be dropping to 1500 rpm in fifth instead?

The Civic idles at around 800 RPM , you can see it when you do a cold start, it starts off at 1100-1200 RPM and if you idle the engine for a minute or so it comes down to 800 RPM.

The speeds indicated in the Civic manual for each gear are almost spot on if you do indulge in some sporty driving , try to stick to that you will not strain the engine either way.
Old 15th October 2007, 13:50   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
The speeds indicated in the Civic manual for each gear are almost spot on if you do indulge in some sporty driving , try to stick to that you will not strain the engine either way.
I doubt that. Those are speeds suggested for NORMAL use, not for running-in.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks