Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2009, 02:33   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvarunagarwal View Post
I recently took my i20 for first service. The mechanic told me that no run in period was required as all Hyundai cars are pre-runned in. He also said that after running in the engine at the time of assembly itself (i.e. at factory etc.) the engine oil is changed so that no engine oil change is required at 1000 kms.
He said that he had seen these things when they took him for training for i20.

Can anyone further comment on this please?
It was the same story when I took my Palio Multijet for the first service. The service advisor gave me all that **** as to why an oil change was not required. I insisted saying that the oil change will not do any harm, if not any good and he relented. He also made a remark on my job card saying "Oil change on customer request."

However, after the oil change, the car was much smoother with reduced NVH levels and better refinement. Whatever the companies say, a factory run-in engine is NOT ready for real-world challenges. There will be wear-and-tear in the engine parts during the first 1000 kms. All this settles in the engine oil. Therefore, I strongly recommend an oil change during the first service. Besides, changing the oil won't do any harm, if not any good! Hope this helps.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:00   #242
Senior - BHPian

The dude at Honda said the same thing to me. The manual clearly states that one should take it easy during the first thousand kilometers. One should ignore these showroom people. They don't tell you about run ins because of ignorance or think the customer will go "Oh, so the engine is weak for this car eh? No other car needs run in!"
Old 23rd May 2009, 23:27   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post
It was the same story when I took my Palio Multijet for the first service. The service advisor gave me all that **** as to why an oil change was not required. I insisted saying that the oil change will not do any harm, if not any good and he relented. He also made a remark on my job card saying "Oil change on customer request."

However, after the oil change, the car was much smoother with reduced NVH levels and better refinement. Whatever the companies say, a factory run-in engine is NOT ready for real-world challenges. There will be wear-and-tear in the engine parts during the first 1000 kms. All this settles in the engine oil. Therefore, I strongly recommend an oil change during the first service. Besides, changing the oil won't do any harm, if not any good! Hope this helps.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Thanks for the prompt reply.

The guy added some additive in the engine oil, I am forgetting the name, claiming it will clear up the debris etc.

what say?
Old 9th June 2009, 10:41   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Its really about controlling the RPMs than outright speed; for instance you could do 65kph in 1st gear and still stay within the specified speed restrictions. Therefore, please read the opening post by TSK:

many cars dont have tachometer to measure RPM..what do you do then?
Old 9th June 2009, 10:53   #245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by enter View Post
many cars dont have tachometer to measure RPM..what do you do then?
Most such cars come with speed limits in each gear.
For example the indica has a windshield sticker which lists the limits
1st - 20
2nd -40
3rd -60
4th -80
5th -90

Sometimes this information is only available in the user manual.
Usually its a good idea to restrict to around 60% of top speed in each gear.
So if top speed in 2nd is around 65kmph, its best not to cross 40kmph in 2nd gear during running in
Old 29th June 2009, 10:31   #246
Senior - BHPian

My new Alto has so far done 190 Km. I shift to second by 10 Km, 3rd by 20 KM, 4th by 40 KM and top at 50 KM. This is with A/C on and two passengers. I shift at slightly lower speeds while driving without A/C. Is this OK? I don't see anything contradicting this in the owner's manual. Also, would like to know what procedure I should follow to take the car on a highway trip during run-in period. We plan to go to Pondicherry this week-end. It will be a 300 KM round trip on excellent roads. The car will have just about 250 KM on the odo when we start.

Some people say it will be a good idea to drive without A/C during run-in period. Is this true? The manual is silent about this, and it is impossible not to switch on the A/C in the present climate. I drive without A/C in the late evening though.

Please clarify if stalling the engine can harm it in any way. This happened a couple of times last evening in heavy traffic. After the first stall, a heavy vehicle right behind me started blaring the horn and began to inch closer. I got flustered and stalled the engine twice more. In my hurry, I was engaging third gear instead of first! I was totally annoyed with myself. I am not really a new driver, but am driving after almost a decade. I am worried if it could have caused any harm to the engine, though my friends feel that it is more hazardous to the occupants of the car in heavy traffic rather than to the car itself!

Last edited by Gansan : 29th June 2009 at 10:34.
Old 29th June 2009, 10:38   #247
Team-BHP Support

I suggest you change to 3rd at around 25kmph, and shift to 4th gear just shy of 50, and shift to 5th around 60kmph.
Restrict your top speed to around 80kmph on the highway.
Also make sure you do not drive at one speed continuously for long. Always wary engine rpm across the range.
As for AC, use AC as intended. No issues with that.
Old 29th June 2009, 11:49   #248
Senior - BHPian

TSK1979

Whats the rule of thumb for running Safari 2.2. A broader concise perpective will be really helpful

Thnx
Old 29th June 2009, 11:51   #249
Team-BHP Support

Try not to exceed 2500rpm, and you should be good.
Running in RPM metered cars is easier as you need not worry about speed.
However at 2500rpm speed in 5th gear will be above 100kmph.
I suggest you do max 100kmph in top gear and stay around 90kmph most of the time.
Also vary the rpms.
Old 29th June 2009, 21:22   #250
BHPian

Just saw a program on BMW on Nat Geo. They run each and every Z4 at 160km/h for testing it right out of the assembly line! What say guys to that? Are they actually acheiving those speeds at low rpm at high gear?
Old 29th June 2009, 21:25   #251
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
Just saw a program on BMW on Nat Geo. They run each and every Z4 at 160km/h for testing it right out of the assembly line! What say guys to that? Are they actually acheiving those speeds at low rpm at high gear?
For those who missed it, don't worry. They keep airing this programme over and over again. You'll see it in 1 or 2 months.
Old 15th July 2009, 10:10   #252
Senior - BHPian

How long should my new Alto be warmed up after a cold start? I was initially warming up for 30 - 40 seconds, then increased it to 1 minute. A friend says I should allow the temp gauge to point to 'C' before applying load on the engine. But it takes > 90 seconds for this to happen. With petrol prices being what they are, a couple of minutes idling in the morning and evening appears excessive to me.

Can someone please clarify about this? My current Odometer reading is 675 KM. Thanks in advance!
Old 15th July 2009, 10:36   #253
Team-BHP Support

One minute of idling should be enough. After that take it easy for 5 minutes or so before going to high rpms.
Since your car in at 675kms, always take it easy.
Old 15th July 2009, 11:14   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
One minute of idling should be enough. After that take it easy for 5 minutes or so before going to high rpms.
Since your car in at 675kms, always take it easy.
Thanks! I have to negotiate slow moving traffic for 1 KM before I access the main road, shift to fourth and switch on the A/C. By this time the gauge shows normal operating temp.
Old 15th July 2009, 13:52   #255
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Thanks! I have to negotiate slow moving traffic for 1 KM before I access the main road, shift to fourth and switch on the A/C. By this time the gauge shows normal operating temp.
Switching on the a/c when the temperature guage is in its normal operating range is best for the engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks