Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2009, 16:11   #286
BHPian

I am planning to drive down my Linea from Chennai to Kochi after delivery at Chennai. I plan to cover the distance in 12-14 hours. A drive of close to 700km in a day, is it bad news for running in? Please advise.
Old 10th October 2009, 17:30   #287
Senior - BHPian

It is actually a great way to run in the car! As long as the road is not so good that you are tempted to keep it at a constant rpm, even a slow 100kmh, for long durations. What is important that you keep using all gears, and keep the rpms varying, never holding the engine at high rpms for a long time. And, since it is new, give the car a break of about 15 minutes every 3 hours.
Old 10th October 2009, 17:38   #288
Team-BHP Support

Make it 10 mts break every 1 hour, better for driver and the car. Key is varying the rpm so as to load the engine but not make it lug! as much as possible avoid abrupt acceleration and deceleration, especially the first 300-400 kms of the odo.
Old 10th October 2009, 17:50   #289
Senior - BHPian

@Jaggu, he will have to take 12 or so breaks! I am not sure that either he or the car is that delicate!
Old 10th October 2009, 21:29   #290
BHPian

12 breaks of 10 minutes each would mean 2 hours of break, which I can ill afford as I would like to finish the travel in day light hours. NH47 from Salem to Kochi is two lane highway with intense traffic, which I have no intention of negotiating after dark. On the other hand, 15 min break every 3 hours means a loss of about one hour, including lunch break. That is quite achievable.

So this is how I should plan:
Start at about 5 AM and maintain a base speed of 70kmph ocassionally sprinting to 90-100kmph. Every 2-3 hours, take a break of about 10-15 minutes. Lunch at Salem/Coimbatore depending upon distance covered, and carry on same way from there. What say to this plan?
Old 11th October 2009, 10:55   #291
Senior - BHPian

Looks good, except a base speed of 70 in 5th looks too low! The car will be more comfortable cruising at 85-90 in 5th, traffic permitting. Here is another tip, if you are a driver good enough to use it safely. Speed up to 100/110 on a level or downhill straight road, switch out of the fast lane, and slip the car into neutral and coast with the engine running for a while till the speed drops to 80ish - at which point, slot back into 5th and keep going - when reengaging be sure that the engine hasn't shut down, the rpm counter will let you know if it has. If it has, start the car in neutral first before reengaging 5th. This works particularly well for turbo diesels, where idling gives the turbo a welcome break, and brings down the operating temperature of the entire system very quickly. Obviously, this is not advice I would give to a tyro, but it does work well, used wisely. Another thing that helps is to just take your foot off the throttle for while, the fuel cut off helps keep things cool as well.
Above all, enjoy the drive, and drive safe - the car will need a lot less babying than you think!
Old 11th October 2009, 11:08   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Looks good, except a base speed of 70 in 5th looks too low! The car will be more comfortable cruising at 85-90 in 5th, traffic permitting. Here is another tip, if you are a driver good enough to use it safely. Speed up to 100/110 on a level or downhill straight road, switch out of the fast lane, and slip the car into neutral and coast with the engine running for a while till the speed drops to 80ish - at which point, slot back into 5th and keep going - when reengaging be sure that the engine hasn't shut down, the rpm counter will let you know if it has. If it has, start the car in neutral first before reengaging 5th. This works particularly well for turbo diesels, where idling gives the turbo a welcome break, and brings down the operating temperature of the entire system very quickly. Obviously, this is not advice I would give to a tyro, but it does work well, used wisely. Another thing that helps is to just take your foot off the throttle for while, the fuel cut off helps keep things cool as well.
Above all, enjoy the drive, and drive safe - the car will need a lot less babying than you think!
I feel the first suggestion to be not advisable while the second surely is. I have been doing it for very long. May be I am wrong, so experts please clarify.
Old 11th October 2009, 11:18   #293
Senior - BHPian

The first is safe if done right, by an expert. I would never do it going downhill as in a climb down a ghat, or anywhere the car could become a runaway car, and the engine needs to be running all the time. I learnt it in new car convoys from PAL Mumbai to Pune. In the seventies.

Last edited by Sawyer : 11th October 2009 at 11:22.
Old 11th October 2009, 14:08   #294
BHPian

Coasting down hill in Neutral gear

[quote=Sawyer;1526037]quote]

Coasting downhill in neutral gear is a dangerous practice. The vehicle could accelerate very fast once the engine load is removed from the gearbox and chances are more to loose control of the vehicle. And more over you don't have to do this. In 5th gear the inertia of the vehicle will automatically increase the speed down hill and you will always have control.

Even on level roads I throttle back and allow the speed to come down 20-25 Kmh and slowly accelerate from there and repeat the process. This way you have the engine cooling when the speed is dropping , and you are always in control of the vehicle.
Old 11th October 2009, 14:20   #295
Senior - BHPian

To each his own, and to each his own according to how good a driver he or she is. And good drivers can read which roads will result in runaway cars and which ones will not. I am referring to the downhills of a gradient where the car will decelerate even in neutral. I would have thought that this was apparent from what I wrote.
But it seems it was not.
But I did say that this is not for tyros in my post, and if you are one, then it would be best to not take such chances and do the long distance only in fully run in cars! Or stop every ten minutes every hour.
Old 11th October 2009, 18:36   #296
BHPian

Agreed, first one can't be attempted going downhill on a steep gradient. A gentle gradient will however provide sufficient control to attempt this. I thought about maintaining 70kmph thinking about upper speed limit to be 80kmph during run-in period. Also agree that car will not need to be babied too much. Anybody knows condition of NH46 (Ranipet near Parry Colony to Krishnagiri) and NH7 from Krishnagiri to Salem?
Old 11th October 2009, 20:53   #297
Senior - BHPian

Does the Linea manual specify a top speed of 80 in fifth in running in? If so, I agree with the 70, but I am very surprised that it is specified at such a low number.
Old 11th October 2009, 21:31   #298
BHPian

I have not checked the manual. This is based upon inputs of Linea owners here on the forum.
Old 12th October 2009, 19:49   #299
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@ NutsnBolts, 70 kph in 5th is way too low and could lug your engine. Stick to 90ish, occasionally varying + / - 10 kph.
Old 13th October 2009, 06:36   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
@ NutsnBolts, 70 kph in 5th is way too low and could lug your engine. Stick to 90ish, occasionally varying + / - 10 kph.
I thought that speed should not exceed 80 KM for the running in period for most vehicles. Am I wrong?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks