Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2008, 19:17   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I didnt get this, could you please elaborate on this?
For proper running in, it is the bhp, more than the rpm, that needs to be controlled.
Gradual build up of bhp, with time (running hours) is the objective, particularly for piston rings to bed in properly.
Very difficult to achieve without instrumentation which is not normally fitted in cars.
Hence, universal instructions are given: to keep rpm within a certain limit, to not run AC during first few hours, to be careful about driving in too high a gear at too low a speed, not carrying full loads, etc.
Even at low rpms an engine can be overloaded - this is usually 'thermal' overload and does not mean that rated bhp has been exceeded.
Old 24th September 2008, 20:37   #182
Team-BHP Support

Ah now i got it, thanks for the explanation, really makes sense also
Old 25th September 2008, 01:16   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioussphinx View Post
Hey team,my dad got his brand new Chevy Captiva delivered today. Its an auto transmission and yeah, he uses it in qatar. Now the dealer is so lowsy that he just got the papers signed and handed the keys. Dad was already too pissed off on them due to their inefficiency throughout, so he just drove out without asking any info about running-in the engine, svc, etc.
lol

i agree, my dad has a car in muscat. he had bought it anew. he too just drove off like that. and frankly running in of cars os not an issue. the roads are so lovely and traffic sense and rules are so nice that you end up driving nice and easy running in the car automatically. but the is one thing. running in or no running in, you have to drive at 100kph there to avoid being rammed from behind.

Last edited by naturaldisaster : 25th September 2008 at 01:18.
Old 2nd October 2008, 22:15   #184
BHPian

Run in Tips - Exclusive for Swift DDis

Hi Experts,

I could not find a thread which acts as a Run - in guide for Diesel Engines.
I have found few Run - in tips for Petrol engines in general,And also personally i had hands on experiences in running in a few petrol engines.
Just thought of having have thread which will help novice Diesel engine buyers like me to perfect the run-in.
I have followed quite a few of our Team BHP mates threads like Jaggu,BUSA,.. for a long time..And finally as i am expecting my Swift VDI any time next week i request the experts to share how to perfect a Run-in for a DDis Engine.
Old 2nd October 2008, 22:49   #185
Team-BHP Support

What i followed with DDIS.

First 100 kms: Limited to 2-2.5 k rpm
101-600: till 3k rpm
601-1000 km: 3.5 to 4k rpm
1000-5000 km: slowly raised limits to max.

Most important rule, its not how high you rev, but how fast you reach that rev that matters.

Vary the RPM, load the car in diff RPM, smooth and steady and Rev up easy (read as dont floor).

On the other hand dont baby the car too much, drive normally and the engine will fine. Diesel engine will take long to free up, so wait till 10-15k km till you see the full and final performance and FE readings.

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd October 2008 at 22:52.
Old 4th October 2008, 07:38   #186
BHPian

Thanks Jaggu, i got your points clear except for the last point.

jaggu:
Diesel engine will take long to free up, so wait till 10-15k km till you see the full and final performance and FE readings.

If a Diesel engines takes so much time to settle ,it invariably means the longest run in .So revving the engine after 1.5k is not making sense to me..
can you please explain on the same?
Old 4th October 2008, 13:22   #187
BHPian

Any advice for running in my Chevy UVA? Couldn't find anything specific in the manual. It is the LS model
Old 4th October 2008, 14:31   #188
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereal View Post
Thanks Jaggu, i got your points clear except for the last point.

jaggu:
Diesel engine will take long to free up, so wait till 10-15k km till you see the full and final performance and FE readings.

If a Diesel engines takes so much time to settle ,it invariably means the longest run in .So revving the engine after 1.5k is not making sense to me..
can you please explain on the same?
I mean to completely free up it takes more than petrols, which completely open up at around 5 to 7 k mark. Minor diff in FE and engine refinement will show up as the kms build, where as the initial (read as crucial) runnin period gets over much earlier.

There is no harm in revving the engine, i dont know where people got the idea that revving is bad for an engine, engines are designed originally for revving.

Rev it but rev in a responsible manner, thats all. I think you need to go through the complete thread to understand more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
Any advice for running in my Chevy UVA? Couldn't find anything specific in the manual. It is the LS model
Same as advised for every other petrol engine, Start from the beginning of the thread, thats a good place to start.

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th October 2008 at 14:33.
Old 4th October 2008, 19:07   #189
BHPian

I got your point ,Thanks Jaggu..
Old 4th October 2008, 20:39   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Same as advised for every other petrol engine, Start from the beginning of the thread, thats a good place to start.
Thanks for the advise. I have read through the thread. I was hoping if any Chevy owner had specific advise for the UVA.
Old 13th October 2008, 22:37   #191
BHPian

Quote:
1. Till 200 KM on ODO drive the car as if it is a baby. Do not ahrd accelarate or go beyond 80 KMPH. Do not break hard. Do not ride the cluch.

2. Beyond 200 till 1000-1500 KM is when you need to constantly vary the speed/RPM while driving
Taking a DDIS into consideration,keeping it at 1000-1500 rms wont spool the turbo,Doesn't the turbo need a run-in and shouldn't the engine get use to the boost pressure during initial kms of run-in?
Old 14th October 2008, 10:17   #192
BHPian

Even on highways with very less gear changes or braking an automobile has to push out lots of air to move forward. And beyond a certain speed (read revv) the effort to push out same volume of air is more. This leads to a drop in efficiency and hence higher fuel consumption
Old 14th October 2008, 14:37   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I've heard from mechanics that it's not advisable to push the car to higher RPM's after every service (especially after oil change) since it requires atleast 300 KMS for the engine oil to lose it's detergent properties and to change it's original colour.

Is this true ?
I guess this is true. I had a bike pistion that had done around 12,000km when I did an oil change. I ripped it on the highway right after the oil change (Mobil1 20W 50) and ended up with a seized piston.

Before that, I had gently run in the new piston. I guess I was too gentle with the running in.
Old 9th November 2008, 20:56   #194
BHPian

Looks like slightly higer rpms, in the 3-3.5 k range are ok for the new generation cars.
My Logan manual says to keep the rpm below 3000-3500 range and speed below 130 kph at highest gear, during the first 1000 km.
It goes on to add that after the first 1k km you can start driving the car normally but expect reasonable performance only after 3-3.5 k km. Mine is petrol BTW.
For diesel Logans their recommendation is rpm below 2-2.5 k for the first 1k km and full performance only after 6.5 k km.
Old 10th November 2008, 22:41   #195
BHPian

As per my run-in experience change over from a petrol to a diesel.

I was very very gentle to my DDIS it did felt very very stressed out during its initial 100kms barely touching 2000rpms.Nice slow and gentle in the gear shifts.

After a 100kms shifted the gear change to 23-2500rpms to spool the turbo as well and let the engine get use to the boost.till 500kms,max speed touched was 100

After 600kms-1000kms drove the car normally made some quick shifts too the car upto 120-140 once or twice

After 1000kms 1st service drove the car a bit faster taking it up to 4000rpms at times touching a speed on 165 once.

Intially the gear's,clutch were a bit hard and the car felt heavy but
As the kms passed away the car seemed very very relaxed the engine opended up,the gear's got smoother by the day.Now the engine is smoother more relaxed and running normally.

The FE till now is 16-17 city drive only.

Most Viewed