Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2009, 19:04   #196
BHPian

Dear friends

My Palio MJD was delivered on 23 Dec and I took off for a long trip (5 adults - all underweight and 1 kid) on 28th. My car obviously was in running-in period (having done about 450 km at the start of the trip) and the route contained roads of all sorts: smooth, bumpy, wide, narrow, plain, hilly and their combinations (Guwahati-Alipurduar-Kalimpong-Gangtok-Darjeeling-Mirik-Siliguri-Coochbehar-Guwahati). At the end of the trip the odo read 1842. I and my brother-in-law, who also drove the car, took care not to exceed the rpm above 2500. The engine never required any high revving even in the steep inclines of Kalimpong and Darjeeling. So I believe that I have not done the car any harm by taking this arduous trip. Today I took the car to the service station for the first free service. I asked the service engineer to change the engine oil but after examination he told me that the oil, though looking black in colour, would be fine till the stipulated 7500 kms.

By the way, the scenic beauty along the road on the above mentioned trip was breathtaking! I don't yet know how to upload photos into the Team-BHP forum but I would definitely like to share a few with you folks.
Old 2nd January 2009, 11:36   #197
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Today I took the car to the service station for the first free service. I asked the service engineer to change the engine oil but after examination he told me that the oil, though looking black in colour, would be fine till the stipulated 7500 kms.
Ideally, you should not have taken the car on such a long trip when it had barely crossed 500 kms on the odo. As you have already covered close to 2000 kms, it is best to get your oil changed.

Ther service advisor has no idea what he's talking about by saying that your engine oil needs to be changed at the stipulated interval which is 7500 kms. Checking the oil and making comments on its longevity based on its color is sheer stupidity. All new engines that just finish the running-in period will have metal slivers present in the oil which should be changed by 2000 kms at the most.

I strongly recommend that you change the engine oil and oil filter at the earliest.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 2nd January 2009, 15:13   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post

I strongly recommend that you change the engine oil and oil filter at the earliest.

Cheers,
gpa
Thanks gpa. I'll go for an oil change as soon as possible.
Old 3rd January 2009, 12:17   #199
BHPian

I read some good advice posts here, For new cars engine oil change is recommended at 1000 kms ( Reasons are plenty and i believe the black color is a warning)

- As a new car owner i too look forward to the same and would strongly advice you to change your engine oil - Immediate attention.!!cheers:

Look forward to the pics.
Old 12th January 2009, 13:09   #200

Hi

I got my ANHC yesterday. Its wonderful to drive.
The only instruction I got was: to drive within 100 kmph for first 1000 kms and keep varying the speed.

I understood this much from this thread as well. Is there a summary of the DO's and DONT's for the running in? What would be helpful for new owners:

1. speed limit
2. rpm range
3. gear shifting (with respect to speed)
4. time before allowing the vehicle to cool down
5. other finer points.

Its a wonderful thread. Once done, I will be going to the maximise fuel efficiency
thanks
Old 12th January 2009, 13:47   #201
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Ideally, you should not have taken the car on such a long trip when it had barely crossed 500 kms on the odo.
I wonder why people keep saying this. There is no harm in taking a new vehicle on a long trip. As long as you follow the running-in instructions.
Old 12th January 2009, 14:22   #202
Team-BHP Support

In the run in period, try to keep below 100kmph, and always drive with the rpm below 50% of the max rpm.
For example if your car redline is 5000rpm, drive max at 2500rpm, on occasionally go above that.
Do this for first 1500kms.
Also avoid driving at same rpm for long distance, so rpm should go varying across the range.

When you start the car first time in the morning, idle for 1-2 minutes(if you are at a cold place like Delhi).
Otherwise 15 second idle is enough.
Old 14th January 2009, 11:52   #203
BHPian

I had taken delivery of my Fiesta on Dec 11th. Just small trips of a few tens of Kms around my place for the first few days. Then took the car to Chennai from Bangalore with the Odo on 250 KM and when I got back in second week of Jan I had 2070 KM. Though I did hit the 4500 RPM a few times it was not for more than a few mins. Seems like I have followed the suggestions for the most part apart from driving it @ just above 100 and avg 2500 RPM in Chennai-Hosur-Bangalore section of GC (can't resist it). I just started browsing this thread yesterday and promptly dropped it @ lathangi ford to get the Engine Oil and Oil filter Changed.
Old 14th January 2009, 15:32   #204
BHPian

i got my fiesta on dec 26 and didnt do much on the odo(300 kms) yet.i have been averaging 2000-2500 rpm but 3 or 4 times have taken it upto 3000(just to enjoy that fun of driving this ford).
also had an avg speed of 80.so far so good...i did read the whole thread before i got the car!!
Old 15th January 2009, 14:23   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike View Post
I had taken delivery of my Fiesta on Dec 11th. Just small trips of a few tens of Kms around my place for the first few days. Then took the car to Chennai from Bangalore with the Odo on 250 KM and when I got back in second week of Jan I had 2070 KM. Though I did hit the 4500 RPM a few times it was not for more than a few mins. Seems like I have followed the suggestions for the most part apart from driving it @ just above 100 and avg 2500 RPM in Chennai-Hosur-Bangalore section of GC (can't resist it). I just started browsing this thread yesterday and promptly dropped it @ lathangi ford to get the Engine Oil and Oil filter Changed.
Service manager was saying no need to change engine oil till second service by 6 months. That he has checked the oil viscosity and its perfectly fine. Also that only older engines have the metal slivers issue and Fiesta anyway has a magnet to capture all metal slivers in anycase (hard to believe!).

He said this was the first time he is asked to do an Oil change in a months time.
Anyway clarified that I need the oil and filter changed.cost ~1K
Also getting System-D Fuel Additive.
Old 15th January 2009, 15:00   #206
BHPian

Marlinspike :- i suggest no additives System -D or any other fancy name.
I suggest only oil and filter to be changed inspite of whatever the FORD manager tells you. May be ford engines have a power magnet hidden under the bonnet for metal slivers ( slivers theory said here is proved right by his statement), But after the magnet catches the slivers where are they hidden/disposed off ?
I am sure the service manager also will tell you that your vehicle is sometimes possesed by evil and will give random kilometers
of fuel efficiency. But that is a new theory that i am working to propose
Repeat after me NO ADDITIVES, at the most if you are a psycho who believes in my previously mentioned theory then instead of normal fuel use 93 octane or a better fuel quality.

That is the only messing around under the bonnet and enjoy the new vehicle till 2nd service or first accident whichever comes first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike View Post
Service manager was saying no need to change engine oil till second service by 6 months. That he has checked the oil viscosity and its perfectly fine. Also that only older engines have the metal slivers issue and Fiesta anyway has a magnet to capture all metal slivers in anycase (hard to believe!).

He said this was the first time he is asked to do an Oil change in a months time.
Anyway clarified that I need the oil and filter changed.cost ~1K
Also getting System-D Fuel Additive.
Old 15th January 2009, 17:48   #207
Senior - BHPian

Marlinspike - I've had ZERO benefits from SystemD. Of course, its coincided with the worst traffic the car has been driven in, but i've not got any better FE or idling either.

I will soon post it up in the giveaway section if the third tankfull also gives dismal <20 economy!
Old 16th January 2009, 15:44   #208
BHPian

Man you guys don't believe anyone with anything!

Some cars do have magnetic drain plugs that trap some metal shavings. I have included a picture below.

I had my used engine oil analyzed at 550 miles and at 5000. I have included the analysis as well. Notice that the oil has relatively high amounts of iron and silicon (from piston) for just 500 miles. Note that the oil change was done in May. I just didnt send the oil in till November.

I would do my first oil change now - just to get it flushed out. It's cheap anyway. How much does an oil change cost anyway?
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car-oil_analysis.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 19th January 2009, 16:54   #209
BHPian

Atlblkz06, that magnet do exist, Good to know. Thanks for the information and the picture is descriptive indeed.

Phamilyman, Porus. Point taken wont do it again. and they had given was system-G as its petrol. System-D is for diesels. I should have thought about why the sales guy didn't even know it existed before buying it.
Old 17th February 2009, 12:29   #210

When to change a Engine Oil in Brand New Santro?

Hi Guys,

I am very confused over the forum that when we should have to change the engine oil in a new car after 1000 or 1500 kms. I am owing Santro purchased in (January 2009) completed 2k kms till and the service center people are not changing the engine oil in first service according to their manual and change in the second service at 10k kms.
So i got confused over here and thinking that can I change the oil by my own, but here i am again confused over the brand name that the Hyundai service centers are using.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks