Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2007, 11:16   #76
JSB

Hi all,
i am a new member to this forum & i must say that it rocks!
i just got a new MPFi Alto LXi & most of my queries about the run-in have been answered in this forum..just a few more that remain:
1) how much time does it take for the engine to warm up after long breaks? i switch on the engine in the morning & wait for abt 1-2 mins before putting the car in motion. is that sufficient?
2) what is the right time to switch on the AC in a new car. The AC sucks up quite a bit of power in an Alto. i generally switch it on 5 mins after the car is in motion & generally on 2-3rd gear.
3) its been one week with the new car & abt 500 kms but i am getting a pathetic milage of ard 10-11 in the alto (50% AC on). i hope that;ll improve. i use extra premium/speed/power fuel. is this becoz of the run-in period? the car is used daily in high mumbai traffic so cant go above 60 kmph even if i want to. generally runs on 2-3 gear. meduim amt of leaning on clutch due to bumper to bumper trafffic.
4) the first service is at 1000 kms. will they change the oil? what kind of oil should i go for?
Old 11th July 2007, 11:26   #77
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi JSB

1. Generally a minute of idling is fine. But here is what I do; either idle for a handful of seconds or drive till the end of my lane without pressing the accelerator. In some of my cars, this is sufficient time for the engine to have warmed up.

2. You can put on your air-con right after the engine has sufficiently warmed up (1 - 2 minutes after startup). The air-con does put a significant load on the 800 / Alto so this may be done only on these cars.

3. Dont use premium petrol on the Alto. You are only wasting your money.

4. Since the 1st service is only at 1000 kms, stick to the company oil only. You may consider synthetic after 7,500 - 10000 kms.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2007, 20:56   #78
Senior - BHPian

I am using shell super on my getz. I have only used that since I took delivery a month back. Is premium petrol required for getz?
The user manual recommends petrol with additives.
Old 16th July 2007, 22:40   #79
BHPian

great deal of information here. i have just run in my new verna to 3000kms but just that i used AC during since newly bought. Its giving an average of 19 on highway with AC used half the distance of 500kms.
Old 17th July 2007, 01:38   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hi JSB

1. Generally a minute of idling is fine. But here is what I do; either idle for a handful of seconds or drive till the end of my lane without pressing the accelerator. In some of my cars, this is sufficient time for the engine to have warmed up.
hey GTO, you use this technique on your Honda City or your Merc Cdi ?
Old 17th July 2007, 13:04   #81
Team-BHP Support

austere, this will work well on cars with low end torque, i.e. diesel cars, on petrol ones you will have to depress accelerator lightly.
Old 17th July 2007, 15:49   #82
BHPian

That would mean Cdi. Talking of Diesel, I have read in this forum that Diesel engines even after long runs don't get tired unlike petrol engines. Whats the reason behind that.
Old 18th July 2007, 00:34   #83
BHPian

if u see some people always move the car front first after starting the car
even if they have to reverse

why do people do it what effect does it have on the engine does anyone know ?
Old 18th July 2007, 01:05   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamballal View Post
if u see some people always move the car front first after starting the car
even if they have to reverse

why do people do it what effect does it have on the engine does anyone know ?
I guess it is something to do with superstition.
Old 18th July 2007, 10:36   #85
BHPian

Yes, it has to do with one s' belief. It is a very common practice among taxi drivers and almost all drivers( including bhpians) stick to this practice.
Old 18th July 2007, 10:48   #86
Team-BHP Support

OT: apart from the positive feel of starting forward (superstition etc) good part will be that you ensure that your gears, clutch and brakes are working fine and will not be stuck in middle after your reverse

On a more serious note, it saved me once. Old Standard 10, didnt have brakes when i moved it after starting and it nudged the parking wall and stopped, if i had reversed, i would have landed onto a main road at peak hour, without any brake, and that too the car park is at slope towards the road.
Old 18th July 2007, 11:17   #87
BHPian

i think its more of a belief than superstition even i indulge in it,its like the saying start your day with the right foot forward
Old 18th July 2007, 11:23   #88
Team-BHP Support

Just make sure you don't park on the edge of a cliff!
Old 24th July 2007, 00:12   #89

[SIZE=2]"[/SIZE]Team-BHP recommends that you change your engine oil after the first 1,000 km. As with all new engines, you will find that some metal slivers have found their way into the oil. From this point onward you can stick to the manufacturer recommended intervals."

Will changing the engine oil be enough, or is it necessary to have the fuel and oil filter also to be replaced? Does it have any impact? Just completed the first 1000 kms and this would help. Thanks.
Old 24th July 2007, 11:20   #90
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will changing the engine oil be enough, or is it necessary to have the fuel and oil filter also to be replaced? Does it have any impact? Just completed the first 1000 kms and this would help. Thanks.
Oil + Filter. Dont bother with the fuel filter.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks