Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2011, 12:58   #16
BANNED

Re: My 1956 Fiat Millecento Restoration

Nice to see the pics. By when will the tinkering be over? Which color do you plan to paint?
Old 25th May 2011, 13:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the WIP pictures. Good thought of stripping the old paint. Keep us updated on the progress.

Have PMed you earlier for something. Please check and revert.
Old 25th May 2011, 17:51   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
Nice to see the pics. By when will the tinkering be over? Which color do you plan to paint?
Earthed,

Scapping of the paint will happen till this friday EOD (27-05-2011) and saturday will leave it for tinkering. The tinker has asked for 20 days as there is no much work on the body line. Need to do Tapping as to bring in few shaped. Plan to paint the vehicle before the showers start.

For paint i need suggestions however in my mind i am planning of mettalic black.

Regards,
Saleem
Old 25th May 2011, 18:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi buddy. Nice to see this thread.

IIRC, during one of our visits to scrapyard few months back, Arun and Sujith had shown me your car in one of the bylanes of Shivajinagar. It looked like painted and all set for cosmetics. Now why again removing paint, tinkering et al?

I am
Old 25th May 2011, 19:23   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Hi buddy. Nice to see this thread.

IIRC, during one of our visits to scrapyard few months back, Arun and Sujith had shown me your car in one of the bylanes of Shivajinagar. It looked like painted and all set for cosmetics. Now why again removing paint, tinkering et al?

I am
Funkykar,

What i thought initially is just put a overcoart of paint and bring the vehicle on road and use it. I applied base coat and kept the vehicle ready for cosmetic fitting, in that duration paint stated giving bubbles due to heavy patty work being done before i got this car which didnt support me to bring the car on road. So I decided its better to scrap the entire paint get the tinkering job done pakka and get it on road.

Regards,
Saleem
Old 25th May 2011, 19:38   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to know about the restoration job beetle boy. The spares you have at hand must have been quite an effort to procure, as you are located at Bangalore. The door levers are a treat to see as these are brand new. Incidentally, Veglia also made speedos for the older Vespa 150 till around 1965- the original oval shaped meters.
Your speedo has a few red warning lights. I would like to know as to whether these get activated when the car reaches that particular speed to warn the driver?
The rear tail lights you have fitted (orange top and red base) are not OK for the older Dukkar but the full red ones you have as spare are OK.
Try and get the temperature gauge relocated from its position to somewhere below the dash (around the parcel tray below the dash), fitting a bracket if need be, as its marring the lovely period Italian looks of the dash.
Karl spoke about headlights from Lumax and Autopal.The Minidor (three wheeler) headlights (sealbeam) may very well fit.Try and get an older set without the clear glass lens.
Later on, you may try and source the original ones.In my case my car had one original "Lucas Made in England" sealbeam and another a Lumax.I got an original one just two years back.So patience is rewarded.
My pull self starter wire was wearing out.I was told to get the one that fits the Minidor and vow-it was snugly fitted as self pull switch.I have kept two spare wires now. So its thanks to the Minidor. Any THANKS button here for the MINIDOR for that benevolence!!!
Mumbai is the Mecca for Fiat spares and you can try and go there as often to get your stock.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 25th May 2011 at 19:45.
Old 25th May 2011, 20:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

The issue here is that the fenders are modified to fit a bigger head light. As of now he can do with local PP headlights or Suzuki samurai light which are powerfill also with nice beam spread.

Smaller lights of yezdi / jawa are direct fit for millicento. And in bangalore to find a jawa headlight might not be a problem.

Saleem,

there is a lot of stuff on ebay, if you want to order. i saw your model specific air filter and other stuff.
Old 25th May 2011, 20:24   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
The issue here is that the fenders are modified to fit a bigger head light. As of now he can do with local PP headlights or Suzuki samurai light which are powerfill also with nice beam spread.

Smaller lights of yezdi / jawa are direct fit for millicento. And in bangalore to find a jawa headlight might not be a problem.

Saleem,

there is a lot of stuff on ebay, if you want to order. i saw your model specific air filter and other stuff.
Manish Bhai,

The correct size headlights for the Millicento would be from the Bajaj Eliminator..

A pair of complete assembly would take car of the Original type of looks...
Old 26th May 2011, 09:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Some pics of the Mille of almost a year ago.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ml#post1994517
Old 26th May 2011, 12:04   #25
BHPian

Quote:

Saleem,

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Manish Bhai,

The correct size headlights for the Millicento would be from the Bajaj Eliminator..

A pair of complete assembly would take car of the Original type of looks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Nice to know about the restoration job beetle boy. The spares you have at hand must have been quite an effort to procure, as you are located at Bangalore. The door levers are a treat to see as these are brand new. Incidentally, Veglia also made speedos for the older Vespa 150 till around 1965- the original oval shaped meters.
Your speedo has a few red warning lights. I would like to know as to whether these get activated when the car reaches that particular speed to warn the driver?
The rear tail lights you have fitted (orange top and red base) are not OK for the older Dukkar but the full red ones you have as spare are OK.
Try and get the temperature gauge relocated from its position to somewhere below the dash (around the parcel tray below the dash), fitting a bracket if need be, as its marring the lovely period Italian looks of the dash.
Karl spoke about headlights from Lumax and Autopal.The Minidor (three wheeler) headlights (sealbeam) may very well fit.Try and get an older set without the clear glass lens.
Later on, you may try and source the original ones.In my case my car had one original "Lucas Made in England" sealbeam and another a Lumax.I got an original one just two years back.So patience is rewarded.
My pull self starter wire was wearing out.I was told to get the one that fits the Minidor and vow-it was snugly fitted as self pull switch.I have kept two spare wires now. So its thanks to the Minidor. Any THANKS button here for the MINIDOR for that benevolence!!!
Mumbai is the Mecca for Fiat spares and you can try and go there as often to get your stock.
For all the above said now i really confused what to do?

1. As the fenders are currently modified to bigger dia shall i go ahead with new PP headlights OR
2. Since tinkering work is happening shall i get the fenders to their original shape if so then which lights would be correct fit

i. Jawa
ii. Bajaj Eliminator
iii. Then Minidor

Think need to pick up all and match it even though its not the ORI GE NAL.

@Anjan : I have only one single piece of 56 model tail lamp (Spair one), hunt is on for another one. Since to continue i will have the 57 model tail lamp fit on the car.

Can anyone help me on this.

Regards,
Saleem
Old 26th May 2011, 18:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle_boy View Post
Don't confuse. Go to the garage next (on the right) to Nizam tinker (my tinker). There is an all original car (Its an elegent) lying for restoration. You can size up the original headlights, which are carello original. The Avenger lights will fit your current setup (and we can measure my bikes headlight for that ).

The decision to go with biggher headlights or smaller is totally yours. You can contact Shiva, who has done the same conversion.

Amol too has done but he has the smaller original panels from other car, making a job much easier.
Old 26th May 2011, 18:38   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Don't confuse. Go to the garage next (on the right) to Nizam tinker (my tinker). There is an all original car (Its an elegent) lying for restoration. You can size up the original headlights, which are carello original. The Avenger lights will fit your current setup (and we can measure my bikes headlight for that ).

The decision to go with biggher headlights or smaller is totally yours. You can contact Shiva, who has done the same conversion.

Amol too has done but he has the smaller original panels from other car, making a job much easier.
Sure Manish Bhai this saturday we will meet up and finalize on this.
Old 26th May 2011, 19:11   #28
BHPian

Please can anyone guide me where does this button come in my car i dont know where the tinker removed from. It is press type button and behind it has wiring socket.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1956 Fiat Millecento Restoration-button.jpg  

Last edited by beetle_boy : 26th May 2011 at 19:13.
Old 26th May 2011, 19:26   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle_boy View Post

1. As the fenders are currently modified to bigger dia shall i go ahead with new PP headlights OR
2. Since tinkering work is happening shall i get the fenders to their original shape if so then which lights would be correct fit

i. Jawa
ii. Bajaj Eliminator
iii. Then Minidor

Think need to pick up all and match it even though its not the ORI GE NAL.

@Anjan : I have only one single piece of 56 model tail lamp (Spair one), hunt is on for another one. Since to continue i will have the 57 model tail lamp fit on the car.

Can anyone help me on this.

Regards,
Saleem
Saleem, please physically check the exact diameter and which one exactly fits, should you have to go for a new one.
-A clear lens headlamp will mar the classic looks of the car.
-Even the present headlights if in good condition can do the duty till you get the original.There is no need for any stop gap till you get the original.
-The rear tail light fitment can surely wait till you get a set of the red coloured one.
This 1956 Dukkar featured below (foreground) has a clear lens headlamp. The owner has recently restored the car and it has been coated with a garish colour.I could not take more snaps other than these. The front grille is of the older model, while the tail lights are from the newer model.
My 1956 Fiat Millecento Restoration-dsc06636.jpg

My 1956 Fiat Millecento Restoration-dsc06743.jpg

My 1956 Fiat Millecento Restoration-dsc06744.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 26th May 2011 at 19:29.
Old 26th May 2011, 20:10   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
This 1956 Dukkar featured below (foreground) has a clear lens headlamp. The owner has recently restored the car and it has been coated with a garish colour.I could not take more snaps other than these. The front grille is of the older model, while the tail lights are from the newer model.
This car was originally green and ironically it had both the original tail-lamps intact. Donno why they were changed to the '57 ones. Maybe he couldnt get spare lenses?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks