Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2011, 23:56   #31
BHPian

re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Now removing the front bumper, hub cover , front wheel and hub pin and the suspension along with the pin

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-67.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-68.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-69.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-70.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-71.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-72.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-73.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-74.jpg

Now removing the handle and the fork

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-75.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-76.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-78.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-79.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-80.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-77.jpg  

Old 17th July 2011, 00:10   #32
BHPian

re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Now she is getting back to basics

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-81.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-82.jpg

Now removing the side beadings and the handle lock

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-83.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-84.jpg

Finally removing the stand to expose the terror

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-85.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-86.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-87.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-88.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-89.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-90.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-91.jpg
I am shocked to see that the entire flooring had cracks and loads of rust thank goodness I did not delay the restoration process… thanks to bala who had been reminding me and scolding me at every HCSC meet, I was forced to think about it, and finally start it.
sushil_n79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 00:23   #33
BHPian

She is fully naked now I am amazed at her curves

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-92.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-93.jpg

After 4 hours …..the dismantling process is now complete…
The next course of action was to send her to the painter for removal of paint and application of primer followed by her trip to the denter.

Her Pictures at the painters place waiting to be reborn....

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-94.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-95.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-96.jpg

From the 13th july 2011 to 15th july 2011
Since the weather was not that co operative when I checked out the painters place was told that the shop was opened only for a few hours till yesterday, since today was a little sunny not sure what work has happened… I ll be checking out the progress tomorrow…

On the 16th july 2011
The paint has been completely removed and a coad of primer has been applied to the body panels and then she has arrived at the denters shop (I ll be uploading the pictures tomorrow.)

Take care and keep smiling always

Regards

Sushil Narayanan

P.S: A special request to moderators to excuse me because the last few updates have been in the form of back to back posts.... I did try to put the complete information in one post along with the pictures but since was unable to upload the pictures had to use seperate posts, kindly assist me in this regard. thanks again.
Old 17th July 2011, 01:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

The scooter has been stripped off and obviously naked but don't be amazed with the curves now wait till she gets into new avtar.

since the paint is removed and a coat of primer/red oxide is sprayed check if you can sand blast but not sure if they do a complete scooter body but if not ask your denter to be patient and check all the nook and corners, take time and give time to the denter to get the job done the right way, as we discussed your scooter needs a new floor for sure and that is the time get your scooter center frame painted with yellow zinc primer or any other branded primer since the old floor will be removed and you will have the chance to ask your painter to paint the center frame sprayed inside out and have the new floor welded.

DO NOT opt drilling several holes to accommodate rubber beading as it takes several holes instead try for those aluminium channels or go for the latest 3 pcs floor mat, these holes will take water inside the center frame and will get rotten inside which is the worst to happen for a scooter apart from loosing strength. All the best for the rest of the restoration.

Last edited by chanu : 17th July 2011 at 01:28.
Old 17th July 2011, 11:57   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
thanks to bala who had been reminding me and scolding me at every HCSC meet, I was forced to think about it, and finally start it.
You're lucky that Bala was just scolding you! I had other plans in mind!!

Quote:
Don't get carried away now! Concentrate on the work!

Jokes apart. I am happy that the restoration work has finally started. Ensure that each and every square inch of the body is well taken care of. Do not cut corners. We all want to see a great looking scooter at the next HCSC meet! By the way, I have a Bajaj 150 User Manual with me. Let me know if you want a copy of it. The wiring diagrams will be useful when you are reassembling the scooter.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 17th July 2011, 12:21   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post

The scooter has been stripped off and obviously naked but don't be amazed with the curves now wait till she gets into new avtar.

since the paint is removed and a coat of primer/red oxide is sprayed check if you can sand blast but not sure if they do a complete scooter body but if not ask your denter to be patient and check all the nook and corners, take time and give time to the denter to get the job done the right way, as we discussed your scooter needs a new floor for sure and that is the time get your scooter center frame painted with yellow zinc primer or any other branded primer since the old floor will be removed and you will have the chance to ask your painter to paint the center frame sprayed inside out and have the new floor welded.

DO NOT opt drilling several holes to accommodate rubber beading as it takes several holes instead try for those aluminium channels or go for the latest 3 pcs floor mat, these holes will take water inside the center frame and will get rotten inside which is the worst to happen for a scooter apart from loosing strength. All the best for the rest of the restoration.
I spoke to my denter he says only the outside will be sand blasted as far as body panels are concerned.. on the inside it will be a direct coat of 2k paint... was a little surprised hearing this

before putting the new flooring i ll ask hm to spray the primer like you mentioned....

try for those aluminium channels... please elaborate on this one...

even my denter suggested not to drill holes .

thanks for the suggestions

regards

sushil narayanan
Old 17th July 2011, 22:45   #37
BHPian

On 17th july2011
I am back as I had promised…. Along with the pictures and the updates…Enjoy maadi…

Pictures of the body without paint

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-97.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-98.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-99.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-100.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-101.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-102.jpg

My denter is heating the headlight assembly and removing the front brake adaptor. Which will be sent for zinc plating
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-103.jpg

Name:  104.jpg
Views: 3166
Size:  24.5 KB

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-105.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-106.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-107.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-108.jpg

My mechanic was able to source a replacement gear bar as mine was broken.. :

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-109.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-110.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-111.jpg

All the parts are securely stores and will be sent for zinc coating

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-112.jpg

Had a doubt though if the front brake drum cover was also supposed to be zinc coated ? My mechanic says originally it was of zinc colour ...but I am not sure about this ,does any one know if it was originally zinc coated or of body colour?someone help me?, Anjan Sir where are you?

Last edited by sushil_n79 : 17th July 2011 at 22:47.
Old 17th July 2011, 23:15   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On 17th july2011
I am back as I had promised…. Along with the pictures and the updates…Enjoy maadi…

Had a doubt though if the front brake drum cover was also supposed to be zinc coated ? My mechanic says originally it was of zinc colour ...but I am not sure about this ,does any one know if it was originally zinc coated or of body colour?someone help me?, Anjan Sir where are you?
The brake drum cover was body coloured Sushil. There was no zinc plated component visible outside on the front wheel.Even the lower front brake lever, on the wheel drum was body coloured, which I can correctly remember. Perhaps the brake drum cover was galvanised with zinc and the body colour was applied over this.I am saying this because in older scooters scratches revealed the galvanised/ zinc coated drum cover.
But these were days of cost cutting by automobile companies. Imagine the price of the Vespa/ Bajaj 150 was allowed to increase only marginally since 1960 from Rs 3000 to around Rs 3500 by 1974.The price control order of the government for all motor vehicles was in vogue. The manufacturers apex body went to court and ultimately it was the Supreme Court, where the price control order was declared as null and void sometime around 1975 or 1976.Thats when the prices went northward and have continued to do so.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 20:29   #39
BHPian

Hi Sushil. Congrats on your decision to restore this scooter and it looks like it is coming through really nicely. Today, my fathers 1984 Bajaj Chetak failed to start. He has been using it almost everyday to go to the market. The mechanic who usually takes care of it said the carburetor was faulty and has to be changed. He said there is still no guarantee about other parts even if he changes the carburetor. He also suggested that he could 'take it off of our hands' while not mentioning any particular amount (guess he wants it for free). Two years back he had attempted to buy it from my Dad for Rs.2000.

Now I am thinking why not restore this scooter. But I do have to find the right people to do this. I am hoping someone on team-bhp can suggest a workshop in our area to carry out the restoration. Here is what she looks like right now.

Attachment 584596
Old 28th July 2011, 20:40   #40
BHPian

The brake drum cover was body coloured Sushil. There was no zinc plated component visible outside on the front wheel.Even the lower front brake lever, on the wheel drum was body coloured, which I can correctly remember. Perhaps the brake drum cover was galvanised with zinc and the body colour was applied over this.I am saying this because in older scooters scratches revealed the galvanised/ zinc coated drum cover.
But these were days of cost cutting by automobile companies. Imagine the price of the Vespa/ Bajaj 150 was allowed to increase only marginally since 1960 from Rs 3000 to around Rs 3500 by 1974.The price control order of the government for all motor vehicles was in vogue. The manufacturers apex body went to court and ultimately it was the Supreme Court, where the price control order was declared as null and void sometime around 1975 or 1976.Thats when the prices went northward and have continued to do so.[/quote]

Hi anjan sir

Heartfelt thanks for your inputs infact when I spoke to my mechanic he was initially going to get the same chrome plated but now is refraining from so so hopefully it will be in body colour, please correct me if I am wrong even the fork was in body colour .am I right ?
sushil_n79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 21:30   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain.vanilla View Post
Hi Sushil. Congrats on your decision to restore this scooter and it looks like it is coming through really nicely. Today, my fathers 1984 Bajaj Chetak failed to start. He has been using it almost everyday to go to the market. The mechanic who usually takes care of it said the carburetor was faulty and has to be changed. He said there is still no guarantee about other parts even if he changes the carburetor. He also suggested that he could 'take it off of our hands' while not mentioning any particular amount (guess he wants it for free). Two years back he had attempted to buy it from my Dad for Rs.2000.

Now I am thinking why not restore this scooter. But I do have to find the right people to do this. I am hoping someone on team-bhp can suggest a workshop in our area to carry out the restoration. Here is what she looks like right now.

Attachment 584596
hey brother

dont worry, about the scooter please . you can do it bro.

first of all try to remove the spark plug and clean it and put it back in case it does not work then touch the carburrettor ... do not attempt to sell it to your mechanic, since its a daily runner.
and which area in palakkad do you stay, since it happens to be my native place also and my uncle lives there I can seek his help to guide you to a good mechanic. incase you need i ll give you the manual so that you can service it your self.

hey brother Kindly reattach the pictures its not opening up
Regards

Sushil Narayanan

Last edited by sushil_n79 : 28th July 2011 at 21:32.
Old 28th July 2011, 21:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
But these were days of cost cutting by automobile companies. Imagine the price of the Vespa/ Bajaj 150 was allowed to increase only marginally since 1960 from Rs 3000 to around Rs 3500 by 1974.The price control order of the government for all motor vehicles was in vogue. The manufacturers apex body went to court and ultimately it was the Supreme Court, where the price control order was declared as null and void sometime around 1975 or 1976.Thats when the prices went northward and have continued to do so.
My dad gifted me Bajaj 150 in 1974 when I passed out my automobile diploma and he got it by paying some premium and the final cost to him was 7100/- all inclusive , Tax and insurance paid for one year.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 22:06   #43
BHPian

Updates till today
Work got delayed because of the weather, my mechanic has removed the flooring board and was waiting for the rains to give him a break to get started with the flooring and the denting work, hopefully if weather permits the work should begin tomorrow.s Took a couple of pictures for you all to enjoy.

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-113.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-114.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-115.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-116.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-117.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-118.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-119.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-120.jpg

The next course of action is to focus on the middle flooring area to clean it by rubbing with sandpaper to get rid of superficial rust and even out the edges before the primer is applied in there (Thanks a ton Rahul for this suggestion), there after the floor board will be welded.

Will keep you all updated soon
Old 28th July 2011, 22:34   #44
BHPian

Quote:
and which area in palakkad do you stay, since it happens to be my native place also and my uncle lives there I can seek his help to guide you to a good mechanic. incase you need i ll give you the manual so that you can service it your self.

hey brother Kindly reattach the pictures its not opening up
Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Sushil, I stay in Palakkad town itself, very close to the KSRTC bus stand. I will try to clean the spark plug tomorrow to see if that solves the problem. Anyways I do want to give it a complete makeover and so I would appreciate your help. It would be great if you can upload the scanned service manual since we don't have that any more.

Here is my second attempt at uploading the photo.
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-chetak-84.jpg
plain.vanilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 22:49   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

sushiln79
Quote:
Hi anjan sir
Heartfelt thanks for your inputs infact when I spoke to my mechanic he was initially going to get the same chrome plated but now is refraining from so so hopefully it will be in body colour, please correct me if I am wrong even the fork was in body colour .am I right ?
Sushil, you are welcome.So the restoration job is progressing. Monsoon creates some problems of course.
The threesome on the front suspension were of this kind:
(1) At the fore part was the shock absorber which had a plastic cover at the top like the later Bajajs.The telescopic lower part of this was silver colored and metallic-non painted. The top metal shock-up cover (now replaced by plastic) of the Vespa was gone.
(2) The second unit, the balancer rod at the middle was body coloured.
(3) The third unit, the spring was again in white metal (a bit of golden tint in the newer ones that would turn white silvery later) not body coloured!
The figure is for illustration as not much had changed from the Bajaj 150 to the Bajaj Cub as far as the front suspension is concerned:
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-bajaj-cub.jpg
pic source connect.in.com

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 28th July 2011 at 22:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks