Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2011, 10:06   #181
BHPian

Re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
Hi Brother,
Thanks for the compliments Narendra bhai, yes was able to get the
oh-ree-gee-nal shade that she came in . fortunately my painter was able to get the exact match which was seen in a small part on the removed fork and since he has had expereince of working on the vintage scooters knoew my expectations very well. Waiting to meet you in person so that you can have a look. just waiting to recover from my injuries as had an accident last week.

Thanks for the warm wishes
Regards
Sushil Narayanan
Hey Sushil,

I hope you get better soon. You have to get on your feet soon and do justice to the new 150.

Priyadarshan
Old 4th January 2012, 18:41   #182
BHPian

Re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Hey Sushil,

I hope you get better soon. You have to get on your feet soon and do justice to the new 150.

Priyadarshan
Hi priyadarshan thanks for the wishes yes I am almost 5 percent cured now and am able to walk around with less difficulty yes will need to take the scooter out as its been in hibernation for a while.
Thanks and regards
Sushil narayaan
Old 5th January 2012, 12:21   #183
BHPian

Quote:
I am almost 5 percent cured now.
I hope you mean you are 95% cured now! Get 100% fit buddy. It's time we show our scooters some tarmac outside the city. Been a long time since we took our scooters for a ride away from the city.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 26th January 2012, 11:53   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
I hope you mean you are 95% cured now! Get 100% fit buddy. It's time we show our scooters some tarmac outside the city. Been a long time since we took our scooters for a ride away from the city.

Rahul Waghmare.
Hi rahul bhai
well said I meant 95% only but a typo error changed it all well said bro It is time now to take our scoots for a ride
Regards
Sushil Narayanan
sushil_n79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2012, 12:34   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
I think it's a wonderful idea Sushil ! Waiting to see it Thanks !
In fact, maintenance dos and don'ts for a classic - based on real time experiences - would be something many of us can follow and make use of..

Hello Everyone,

First of all thanks to everyone for wishing for my speedy recovery, here I am fully cured . It had been a long time since I had been away from the thread and from the scooter. without wasting further time I would like to share my experiences till now with all if you. For Ease of reference I ll be sharing the information based on the speedometer reading as the same has been completely serviced and the reading is back to 00000 now.

Some guidelines that I will be strictly adhering to are:

1. Usage of 2T oil pouches like shell 2T as against the ones supplied on petrol pumps. was initially using 4% mix as against the manufacturers recommendation of 2% mix as per advise from my mechanic for a newly built engine but since it was clogging the carburettor So currently am sticking to 3% mix of Shell Advance 2T premium Oil

2. Maintaining consistent speeds for the first 1500 kms.
Thanks to Rahul bhai and my old time friend Jaabeer Ali at Bhopal who also was a mechanic for the guidelines . Again this is just an indicative method to ensure minimum strain on the engine during the running in period

I am doing the same by following the below chart:

0- 150 Kms : Speed between 20Kmph to 30KMPH
150- 350 Kms : Speed between 20Kmph to 30KMPH
350- 550 Kms : Speed between 30Kmph to 35KMPH.
550- 750 Kms : Speed between 35Kmph to 40KMPH.
750-1000 Kms : Speed between 40Kmph to 45KMPH.
1000-1500 Kms : Speed between 45Kmph to 50KMPH.

Thereafter wait for every 250 Kms to increase Speed by 5KMPH and ensuring that for normal running and safety reasons I do not recommend excess of 50-55 Kmph, again depends on the traffic condition in your area please use your discretion accordingly I plan to stick between 40-50 Kmph. It ensures I satisfy my passion of riding a classic.

3. Ensuring not to rev the newly built engine too hard.

4. Ensuring that Correct Air pressure is maintained on the tyres for a comfortable ride.

5. Planning the First Service and Oil change after 1500kms. Thereafter following the same trend for every 2500-3000Kms

Will keep the experiences coming in as more and more Kms are covered.

Thanks and Regards

Sushil Narayanan.
Old 27th January 2012, 11:57   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Maintaining consistent speeds for the first 1500 kms.
During the running in period, also ensure that you keep varying the engine speed instead of cruising at one constant speed. Here are some more tips from a scooter maintenance book that I have. These tips are mentioned in the "Running-In" section of the book:
  • Have the carburetor set to give an idling speed higher than normal. This will ensure a copious flow of oil at all times.
  • Give the engine one to two minutes warming-up period before driving off. (Some other books also suggest to drive the vehicle immediately. Take your own call on this.)
  • While cruising, release the accelerator occasionally to relieve the load on the bearings and allow free passage of oil.
  • Let the engine idle for one to two minutes before putting away the scooter.

Rahul Waghmare.

PS : Here is the picture of a Bajaj 150 that was present at the DHAA Meet on 26th January 2012. The alphabets of the registration number remind me of Shakti Kapoor! For more pictures from the meet, check this link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ry-2012-a.html
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-15.jpg  

Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 16:00   #187
BHPian

PS : Here is the picture of a Bajaj 150 that was present at the DHAA Meet on 26th January 2012. The alphabets of the registration number remind me of Shakti Kapoor! the only thing missing is LOLLITA....

Hi Rahul bhai,
Thanks for the inputs ,the green bajaj 150 looks beautiful.Indeed a treat to the eyes. reminds me of my bajaj 150 and i imagine it to be in the rally in the coming years. Keeping fingers crossed. thanks again for the pictures.
Regards
Sushil Narayanan

Last edited by sushil_n79 : 27th January 2012 at 16:02.
Old 1st February 2012, 01:14   #188
Senior - BHPian

Sushil, what is the status on this restoration? Can you please upload the latest pictures?

This was the first 2 wheeler in my family. Still remember the number, MET 3516. Dad brought this one second hand for around Rs.8k in 1983/84 and it had a light green color. Lot of good moemories with it, went through some 3-4 color changes and finally dad sold it as scrap I believe in 2008, for which i had a big fight with him. Will look to source it back if it is still in one piece and look at a restoration of the same. You surely have been an inspiration man. Keep the pictures coming please.
Old 13th February 2012, 13:18   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Sushil, what is the status on this restoration? Can you please upload the latest pictures?
The restoration was completed long back. The pictures are on page 11 of this thread. Here is the link : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ml#post2590980

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 24th February 2012, 22:56   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post

This was the first 2 wheeler in my family. Still remember the number, MET 3516. Dad brought this one second hand for around Rs.8k in 1983/84 and it had a light green color. Lot of good moemories with it, went through some 3-4 color changes and finally dad sold it as scrap I believe in 2008, for which i had a big fight with him. Will look to source it back if it is still in one piece and look at a restoration of the same. You surely have been an inspiration man. Keep the pictures coming please.
Hi Dass Sir,

Thanks for the compliments indeed yes it feels really nice when I take the scooter out for the ride All the best for you to source yor scooter back I am sure you will find it soon. Any help that you need in this case please let me know.

Hi Rahul bhai,
Thanks for posting the link of the pictures on the thread.Had been away from the thread for a long time. You will be happy to know that today I have crossed the 600kms mark on the scooter after the project. will update the thread soon about the experiences.

Regards
Sushil Narayanan
sushil_n79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 12:49   #191
BHPian

Hey Sushil,

It was nice to see your scooter when you visited us the other day. The actual shade of the scooter is much more pleasant to look at than the pictures taken from my camera! The pictures show the shade to be orangish which is not correct. May be I need to learn "Photoshopy" instead of Photography!

I have contacted one person regarding the fittings/accessories that you need and will keep you posted as soon as I get an update.

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 5th March 2012, 14:32   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Hey Sushil,

It was nice to see your scooter when you visited us the other day. The actual shade of the scooter is much more pleasant to look at than the pictures taken from my camera! The pictures show the shade to be orangish which is not correct. May be I need to learn "Photoshopy" instead of Photography!

I have contacted one person regarding the fittings/accessories that you need and will keep you posted as soon as I get an update.

Rahul Waghmare.
Hi Rahul bhai,

Thanks for the same Yes indeed the scooter looks quite different than how it looks in the pictures.

Just noted have completed 650 kms yesterday,

I will keep the thread updated soon of the experiences.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 14th May 2012, 11:16   #193
BHPian

Hi All

I am back with the updates ,Apologise that it has been a really long time since I updated thread as my system had crashed.

Without further delay would get back to the topic. I happen to cover up 750 kms on the meter and I noticed that the engine had become very free and smooth however did notice that on a straight road after crossing 65kmph there was a sudden drop in power and seems as if it was running out of fuel.The vehicle is due for its first service after 1000kms shall keep you all updated soon.

with the help of my friend i managed to completely get the carburettor opened and change the packing kit and the air filter since the oh-ree-gee-nal one was damaged. Also the tuning process of the carb was again done to optimize fuel efficiency and performance.of course its always advisable to tune it on a hot engine also care has to be taken to ensure that after each adjustment the vehicle is run for a few meters and test the efficiency of the same.

I had also cleaned the spark plug and adjusted the gap using the gap adjustor and got it to the company recommendation of 0.5mm gap

Yesterday had been to the hcsc meet and noticed that the vehicle was easly cruising above 65 to 70 kmph without any problems.

I had also have bought a box of motomax polish to preserve the shine forever. It
felt great cleaning the engine bay and ensuring that there is absolutely no dust or grime.

I will be uploading the pictures of both the above soon.

I am enclosing the procedure here in which we followed which was found on the internet for people who need help on the same.

Source: Vespa P Series Maintenance & Repair

Tuning Your Carb
The Carburettor has to mix the gas, oil and air very carefully to give the best power output. The jets are precisely tuned to put out a specific amount of gas on demand; however, this system needs fine tuning from time to time. When the scooter is subjected to high altitudes, or the air becomes thin, a bit of tuning may be required. You should also tune your carb after a carburettor rebuild. Some symptoms of bad carb tuning include: loss of power at high throttle (flooding), bogging even when the engine is warm, stalling, running rich or lean (too much or too little oil signified by the fouling or destruction of spark plugs) and bad acceleration. Before attempting to tune the carburettor make sure that the spark plug is in good condition (see electrical section) and that the carb is not leaking or plugged. It is also advisable to inspect your jets before taking on this task, so all the work you do will not go to waste. This is really not an art form. Listen to the engine, you can't do much harm if you turn the screws the wrong way. If you cannot get your bike running properly by changing the screw settings, you should rebuild the carb and check the timing - especially if it backfires or it bogs terribly at 3/4 throttle. The mixture screw generally effects only the lower RPM and Idle settings (off the line acceleration). If you find your plug is very oily or heat damaged, you may need to alter the jet sizes in addition to the mixture screw setting. On a stock bike, this should NEVER be done unless you have a radical change in altitude. Instead, inspect the carb for damage, warping or plugged passages and jets. Air leaks in the engine will make the engine overheat. If the engine revs extremely high on its own this is an indicator for a air leak or a failed engine seal. If you add performance gear, ask around to find the best jet sizes for the respective part. Always consult a knowledgeable mechanic when changing the jets as they can affect the entire rev range of your engine.
Tools & Parts Needed
Flat-Head Screwdriver
Spark Plug Wrench

Part Identification Idle Set Screw - This screw sets how fast your engine idles. The screw pushes on a slanted surface on the center of the slide. If you tighten the screw, the idle rate will speed up (it will push the slide back opening the neck of the carb) if you loosen the screw the idle rate will slow down (it will let the slide close off the neck of the carb). This screw will determine your idle speed so you should set it low to preserve fuel at stop lights. If you notice that your bike stalls often, this screw may be set too low to maintain a reliable idle speed. The result is the engine will die out.
Mixture Screw - This screw is hidden behind a rubber grommet in the carb box. Prise the grommet out with your fingers and look for a flat head screw just a few mm inside the box. This screw is responsible for fine-tuning the mixing of the air fuel mix. Tightening the screw will reduce the mix, and loosening it will increase the mix. Pay close attention to this screw if you are fouling or damaging plugs or bogging at low and high throttle rates.

Procedure Step 1 - Remove the grommet that covers the mixture screw if you haven't already done so. If possible, run your bike around the block to get the engine warm. If the engine will not start, tighten both of the screws until they resist and stop. Then loosen the mixture screw 1 an 1/2 turns and the idle set screw out 2 1/2 turns. this is usually close the default setting. Try kicking the engine over. If it still refuses to start or quickly dies, pull the choke out half way, tighten the idle set screw and loosen the mixture screw using 1/4 turns. Eventually the engine should run, but badly. Once it is running, let it chug away for a minute or two so you can keep it running it without choking or throttling it.
Step 2 - Leave the engine running for this procedure; if it dies, modify the settings and kick it again and keep it running. Pull the throttle handle hard to about half way and release. The engine should not hesitate when you do this. If it "bogs", or temporarily sputters and then revs, adjust the mixture screw until there is no hesitation. I use 1/8 turns in either direction as the mixture screw is very sensitive. If you get really close, just tweak the screw a tiny bit. Once you achieve the least amount of hesitation, lower the idle rate (loosen the screw). Keep repeating these steps until the hesitation is negligible and the idle rate is low, but reliable (no sputtering or sudden changes in the flywheel speed).
Step 3 - Once you are done, replace the grommet and take a good long run on the bike. Try some challenging roads and return home. Let your bike cool a bit, then pull the spark plug. It should be a light brown color. You should still have no hesitation when you pull the throttle. If the plug and reaction time are good after a long ride, you're finished. If the problems remain, see if other people have had the same problem on the scooter BBS and get it sorted out. This procedure will take about 30 minutes the first time,

However for us the whole process took almost like 1 hour since we are still learning .

Thanks for the support as always

Regards

Sushil Narayanan

Last edited by sushil_n79 : 14th May 2012 at 11:20. Reason: correction
Old 18th May 2012, 12:59   #194
BHPian

On 9th May 2012, Sushil graced our small personal garage with his fully restored Bajaj 150. We then opened up it's carburetor for a complete clean up and reassembled it. After this it was tuned. On 13th May 2012, we took our scooters for a drive. Hope to have many more drives like this in the future especially along with our families! Here are the pictures.

Rahul Waghmare.

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-c1.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-c2.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-c3.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-c4.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-c5.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-c6.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-s1.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-s2.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-s4.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-s5.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-s3.jpg
Old 18th May 2012, 14:27   #195
Senior - BHPian

Wow! is the only word that comes to mind quickly. You have one of the best looking scooters out there. The whole thread made me nostalgic, even my father had a blue Chetak (MZC 1066). This was sold off some time in 1994-1995; I don't know where it is now.

You have spent a lot of effort on the restoration, and the final outcome is worth it. The attention to detail is just fantastic, even the handle grips are authentic. Brilliant

Do keep maintaining the scooter even in future, even if you don't drive it too much !

How many kilometers had you clocked before the restoration and how many after the restoration?

Most Viewed