Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2014, 10:31   #286
BHPian

Re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Posting the pictures of Semi Restoration.
Decided to go with Vespa Logo basis the logo place holder.

Hope the pictures speaks itself. Had a bad experience in handling with B'lore unknow mechanics. Taking the scooter to my home town Mysore to finish the pending work & complete the FC.

Need help on the below from experts -

How to fix Vespa 150 Aluminum Logo - the old logo holes are closed , not sure what angle & exact place to fix this. Got the logo & revits.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-dsc00752.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-dsc00753.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-dsc00755.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-dsc00756.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-dsc00757.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-dsc00758.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-dsc00759.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-dsc00760.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-dsc00761.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-dsc00762.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-dsc00763.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-dsc00764.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-dsc00765.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-dsc00766.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-dsc00767.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-dsc00768.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-dsc00770.jpg  

Ananth_shukti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 23:24   #287
BHPian

Re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Hi Ananth
Good day
The scooter has really come out very well and now is going to turn a lot of heads on the road. AS far as fitting the logo is concerned it comes on the rhs front and it has do be done very tactfully without damaging the paint. your scooter has original piaggio handle bar covers with a P logo . The only thing you need on it to make it complete vespa is the original cat eyed tail lights and the logo on front. The head light assembly looks awesome. I would suggest contact a mechanic and he will easily do it for you
Attached image for your reference
Regards
Sushil
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-vespa_04_1963.jpg  

sushil_n79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 23:18   #288
BHPian

Thank you sushil for your feed back from day one which helped throughout.
My scooter is something different, with all the piaggio features, I would change the tail lamps soon.
Old 18th August 2015, 22:17   #289
BHPian

Hi All
Good Day
I Have been away from this thread for a long time so Thought of keeping you updated about the Progress . i have covered 1935kms as of now. Co incidentally it also is my father's year of birth .my mechanic called me last week to remind me that the service was due which I would be getting done once the scooter completes 2500kms.I had been out of town on account of personal commitments and had been busy for the last few days because of hectic work schedules. I am glad to inform that as My bike is die for service I am not using it as of now so the scooter will be my daily work horse for the next two months. I shall be using it on a daily basis as insisted by my mechanic and shall be keeping you all informed Over the last few days I have been experiencing a certain slack in the kick lever while trying to start the scooter I do not know why this is the case seems as if there is loss of compression. Also the vehicle does not seem to go beyond 50 kmph I fail to understand why .I Would request the experts to comment on the same please and also let me know the reason for the same.

In the meantime These specs below are for the original motor which was the basis for the Bajaj 150 scooters in India

Production:1960 - 1966
Engine Size:145cc
Bore x stroke:57 x 58mm
Carburetor : Dellorto SI 20/17
Gears : Three/Four-speed manual
Horsepower:5.5ps @ 5,000rpm
Top Speed:87 km/h
Tire Size:3.5 x 8 inch
Brakes : Front and rear drums
Fuel Capacity:7.7 litres
Fuel Usage:47 km/l
Weight:93 kg

The above will help me as well as others to ascertain if their vehicles as performing as per the required parameters. I understand that practically it may or may not be able to achieve the above standards depending on the way it is maintained. it will at least serve as a reference for people to look forward to when tweaking their machines. It could be a sort of standards which could be aimed for.

Thanks and regards
Sushil Narayanan
Old 19th August 2015, 19:33   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananth_shukti View Post
Posting the pictures of Semi Restoration.
Decided to go with Vespa Logo basis the logo place holder.

Hope the pictures speaks itself. Had a bad experience in handling with B'lore unknow mechanics. Taking the scooter to my home town Mysore to finish the pending work & complete the FC.

Need help on the below from experts -

How to fix Vespa 150 Aluminum Logo - the old logo holes are closed , not sure what angle & exact place to fix this. Got the logo & revits.
Hi Ananth,

Nice to see another Vespa brought to life, I am sorry that you had to deal with unprofessional mechanics during the restoration. I can help you get a tracing of the logo with exact measurements however I am not too sure if you can drill a hole of that minute size, I would recommend you not to try drilling the holes as of now since I am pretty sure the original holes for the logo would be still there under the paste and paint, they must have gone hidden while painting. These can be rediscovered when painting next or you have to sit with a tinkerer with the measurements I give and locate the original hole.

I have restored a scooter to another fellow Team BHPian beetle_boy, pictures attached below, your scooter needs few things like the aluminum channels on the floor which gives additional strength to the floor, a tail lamp etc, you can find these in Delhi market hope a Delhiite helps you.

I see a unique thing in Mysore or Karnataka scooters and that is the rear view mirror fitment, usually vespa never came with those fitment underneath the handle bar next to the accelerator yolk however a talented person would have created that.

I also see the handle lock has been modified to that of a earlier version of chetak since the vespas have handle lock made by a brand called UNAMAN then NISHA also made them. I am happy to see a vespa/scooter aficionado. All the best with your FC and future rides.

That fiat hub cap was just for fun !!
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-p120711_18.29_02.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-photo0051.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-photo0059.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-dsc_0342.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-dsc_0371.jpg  

chanu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 12:28   #291
BHPian

[quote=chanu;3782776]Hi Ananth,

Nice to see another Vespa brought to life, QUOTE]

Hi Bala
Thanks for posting the pics and the little bit of refresher it does kindle a lot of old memories. Any update from Rahul? Hope things are fine at your end. we should meet up sometime and maybe plan a long ride.
Regards
Sushil
Old 27th October 2015, 19:13   #292
BHPian

Hi There
Good day

I have been away from this thread for a long time and have not been able to post any updates on the performance of the bajaj150.
It was only in the month of august that the rains finally stopped in hyderabad and Last month as the service for my bike was due , my scooter became my daily workhorse after many many years. It was a nice feeling as everyday i was using it for around 40kms. The initial few days were fine but on one of the days while returning home from work the scooter suddenly stalled. Initially I thought the fuel level has hit the reserve level and tried starting it. To my surprise the engine was not starting and the kickshaft slipped again. upon evaluation i found out that the fuel pipe had shrunk and had got removed fromt the inlet screw. I tried to change the pipe (the procedure of the same i will upload shortly with pictures). however it seems that the attached pipe was too long and is still not working will need to shorten it a bit on weekend. By the way, for durability i had used the lpg pipe on experimentation basis i hope it does not create any problems.

shall keep you all updated of the progress. seems my mechanic has not done a good job earlier as far as the kick shaft is concerned. shall try to rectify that as well.

Therefore the scooter has been stand- still for the last 2 months. I am not sure is it because i use it less as the mechanic claims that if not used it will get spolit, which i find a little hard to digest.

request experts to comment on the same please.

regards
Sushil
Old 16th November 2016, 17:59   #293
BHPian

Hi Everyone
Good day
I have been away from this thread for a long time as had not been able to find time on account of work comitments. Moreover I have been able to develop a DIY through which we as owners can easily change the fuel pipe in case it goes kaput on road. I managed to do the same shall be sharing the pictures soon. Right now the vehicle has been idle for a long time now. I am planning to get it serviced and get it back to the road this weekend. I shall be contacting my old mechanic who did the restoration work of the same. IN the meantime i have been able to lay by hands on the original waxpol scooter politsh which was very popular in the early 1980's which is a wonderful product which polishes and has ab inbuilt rubbing compund in 1 so as we polish the surface also becomes smoother. I shall be attaching the picture of the same for the benefit of all.

very shortly i am planning to take a long ride of around 150+kms on the scooter so that i am able to see its performance on the highway with the mechanic. I shall also be creating a travelogue regarding the same soon. i would request all my friends and fellow bhpians if they might want to join are welcome to do so.

In the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me in case anything else is required.

One gentle man had contacted me with guidance on restoration I am still awaiting his response on the same.

Thanks and regards
Sushil Narayanan
Attached Images

sushil_n79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2018, 16:19   #294
BHPian

Its time to wake this thread up. I picked up a 1978 model bajaj 150 today. I hope it's okay if I post it here in this thread rather than opening a new one.

I bought scooter from its 5th owner who has been having it from 1988. 5 owners in its first 10 years of life and a single one for the next 30. So the scooter was quite a good candidate to be picked up I thought.

Scooter is in good shape but tax is pending since 2006. There is no mention of the original colour in the RC book and forgot to ask the owner about the same too. Is there any way to find it guys? Posting a couple of pictures for your reference. Experts please help me in getting her to the old glorious days.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-lrm_export_20180325_161645.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-lrm_export_20180325_161552.jpg  

aravind511 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 22:00   #295
BHPian

Got a basic service done on my new acquisition. All cables and fluids changed.
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-img_20180325_204235.jpg
Found this sticker partially peeled off inside the front fender on the RHS. Does this imply that the scooter is in its original paint? Expert opinion needed please. The pricol meter looks after market to me with black dial with red and yellow inserts and a red needle. But my mechanic claims it is original one. Will upload pics soo. But sadly no one seems to be interested much 🙄
Old 29th March 2018, 08:34   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind511 View Post
Got a basic service done on my new acquisition. All cables and fluids changed.

Attachment 1746535

Found this sticker partially peeled off inside the front fender on the RHS. Does this imply that the scooter is in its original paint? Expert opinion needed please. The pricol meter looks after market to me with black dial with red and yellow inserts and a red needle. But my mechanic claims it is original one. Will upload pics soo. But sadly no one seems to be interested much 🙄

As far as i know these scooters never came with metallic colours and these stickers were available in the market from day 1.
Old 2nd April 2018, 16:48   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanyu View Post
As far as i know these scooters never came with metallic colours and these stickers were available in the market from day 1.
That green is definitely not metallic. It is a plain dark green shade. Even I don't think the factory colour would have stayed such for 40 years. But the sticker got me confused. It will be great if I can find those stickers again. Do you have any pointers where these can be found?
Old 2nd April 2018, 20:28   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That green is definitely not metallic. It is a plain dark green shade. Even I don't think the factory colour would have stayed such for 40 years. But the sticker got me confused. It will be great if I can find those stickers again. Do you have any pointers where these can be found?
You could try some contacts, if any, in Delhi. There are such running instruction stickers (and many spares) available even for Vespa 150 there so I think they should be for Bajaj 150 as well.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 20:33   #299
BHPian

Quote:

Regarding the stickers i would stick to stanher's suggestion.

Regarding the original paint you mind find some traces of old paint inside the engine bay
Samanyu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 12:54   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanyu View Post
Regarding the stickers i would stick to stanher's suggestion.

Regarding the original paint you mind find some traces of old paint inside the engine bay
I will do that. Haven't dismantled the scooter yet. I am travelling on work for a couple of weeks. Will get back and search for any traces of old paint left.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks