Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2011, 19:25   #136
BHPian

Re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Good to see that the work started on the assembly. Any prgress during last week??

Priyadarshan
HI Priyadarshan,

Thanks for dropping a line of encouragement on the thread. Work has been going slow for the last few days again .As of now My mechanic has got all the parts for the engine and the body but the work has again been stalled on account of the T bandh and stuff like that.The only thing that remains is the assembling of engine and fitting the body .But My mechanic assures me that the work will commence on the 10th of this month and the the vehicle will be finished and delivered by the 15th of this month. i

Keeping Fingers Crossed. thanks for the constantly dropping in a line brother. Was in a low phase and sad as work was progressing very slowly. But I am sure this is just a passing phase and it will be done soon.

Of late I am constantly reminded of a quote that I had read somewhere "The pain of Growth is temporary , But the pain of regret is forever." This quote Keeps reminding me that this low phase in this project is just temporary, but if I quit the project then it will be a regret forever. so still hanging on without quitting it .

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
sushil_n79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 12:02   #137
BHPian

Re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
HI Priyadarshan,

Thanks for dropping a line of encouragement on the thread. Work has been going slow for the last few days again .As of now My mechanic has got all the parts for the engine and the body but the work has again been stalled on account of the T bandh and stuff like that.The only thing that remains is the assembling of engine and fitting the body .But My mechanic assures me that the work will commence on the 10th of this month and the the vehicle will be finished and delivered by the 15th of this month. i

Keeping Fingers Crossed. thanks for the constantly dropping in a line brother. Was in a low phase and sad as work was progressing very slowly. But I am sure this is just a passing phase and it will be done soon.

Of late I am constantly reminded of a quote that I had read somewhere "The pain of Growth is temporary , But the pain of regret is forever." This quote Keeps reminding me that this low phase in this project is just temporary, but if I quit the project then it will be a regret forever. so still hanging on without quitting it .

Regards

Sushil Narayanan

Dont worry man.. I am sure every restorer goes through this temporary phase where you feel there's no progress. But This will change and you will get your scoot back soon, all shining..

Priyadarshan
priyadarshan.b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 12:10   #138
BHPian

Folks, Sushil is out of town hence we need to wait for a few more days before we get any updates on his scooter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Rahul if in case he refuses/don't find collect it from me I have one with me which I kept it for a another project.
Was finally able to lay my hands on a trapezoidal Bajaj Super handle! Got the headlamp assembly as well. Will collect the speedometer this weekend. The handle will be painted and fixed on my scooter sometime before the end of the year. Office work and personal commitments have me tied up at least till the end of November.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 12th October 2011, 12:17   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Folks, Sushil is out of town hence we need to wait for a few more days before we get any updates on his scooter.

Was finally able to lay my hands on a trapezoidal Bajaj Super handle! Got the headlamp assembly as well. Will collect the speedometer this weekend. The handle will be painted and fixed on my scooter sometime before the end of the year. Office work and personal commitments have me tied up at least till the end of November.

Rahul Waghmare.

Rahul,

how much did you get the trapezoidal handle, headlamp assembly and speedo for? I am looking for them too.

Priyadarshan
Old 12th October 2011, 19:00   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post

Rahul Waghmare.
Congratulations Rahul. Your scooter will look complete with the apt handle bar, try to get the speedometer with silver dial which will add up beauty with red color.
Old 15th October 2011, 12:11   #141
BHPian

Dont worry man.. I am sure every restorer goes through this temporary phase where you feel there's no progress. But This will change and you will get your scoot back soon, all shining..

Priyadarshan

Hey Priyadarshan
Thanks for the encouragement and giving me strength brother. It really feels like a silver lining amidst a cloudy day, I am sure the sun will shine bright soon.

Rahul Waghmare.

Hey Rahul bhai,
Congratulations on the new acquisition, I am really happy that you have been finally get the oh-ree-gee-nal handle. waiting to see it in person when your red ferrari gets its new-crowning glory. I am sure you will be able to get all the required stuff for it soon.

Hello Everyone,
I have been really busy for the last few days on account of personal commitments due to which I am out of town at the moment. But believe it or not I Have been dreaming about my prized possession looking all shiny and that the work on the same has been steadily progressing. In fact I should call it nightmares of losing it as something bad has happened.
Was finally relieved yesterday after speaking to my mechanic to check on the current progress. I was really happy to know that the engine work has been completed as of yesterday and the body fitting will start from today. hopefully the work gets completed by Monday and she should be delivered to me by Tuesday.
Thanks everyone for their valuable suggestions and inputs on this thread from time to time. I shall upload the pictures once I am back. Till then keep watching this space.

Take Care and Keep Smiling Always.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan

Last edited by sushil_n79 : 15th October 2011 at 12:21. Reason: typing error correction
Old 17th October 2011, 13:08   #142
BHPian

Nice going Sushil.. Eagerly waiting for the pics now..
Old 17th October 2011, 22:58   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Nice going Sushil.. Eagerly waiting for the pics now..
Hi Priyadarshan,
Thanks for the wishes, I am back in Hyderabad today and was happy to visit my mechanic after a long time. It was indeed a great feeling to know that my mechanic had done what he said and its a awesome feeling to see the scooter get back to being fully assembled . There are certain changes done in the external visibility of the engine to enhance the looks and the cleanliness, hope you like them . Enjoy the pictures...
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-296.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-297.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-298.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-299.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-300.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-301.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-302.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-303.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-304.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-305.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-306.jpg

some-more pictures follows soon.
However the work that has been completed till now and which was not planned initially are :
1.Complete Engine overhaul including new piston and rings to enhance compression.
2. Complete Wiring Alteration from 6Volts to 12Volts.
3. Addition of a secondary ignition switch on the left hand side Dome
4. All visible parts in the engine have been chromed to give that clean look.
5. Rechargine the magneto to enhance current production.(initially was thinking of converting the electrical system to CDI type but am refraining from doing so now on suggesion from my mechanic)
6. Tyres have been fitted.
7. Seats have been completely done up.
8. Handle bar assembly with the new chromed parts and speedometer has been completed.
9. Left dome has been fitted to the body.
10 Fuel tank is cleaned and assembled.
11. front fender assembly completed

Things Remaining are:
1.Engine to be fitted on the body along with rear suspension
2. Fuel tank fitting.
3. Front hub and suspension assembly.
4. Front brake system assembly to be completed with new brake shoes.
(This was non functional for the last 15 years because of my own stupidity which is rectified now.). Glad that now both the brakes will be functional.
5. Complete Wiring work , wiring loom already procured.
6.Fitting the handle bar and completing the wiring.

Hopefully I should have the scooter back home with me sometime this week.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan

Last edited by sushil_n79 : 17th October 2011 at 23:17. Reason: updation
Old 21st October 2011, 20:59   #144
BHPian

Regards

Sushil Narayanan[/quote]

Hi Everyone,

Its time now to get my babe back home as the assembly is completed. had visited the mechanic today she looks awesome , just like she is out of the showroom. Today I started the engine and was amazed at the smoothness and the sound . seems just like a new scooter with the sweet whistling sound.

The only thing Remaining is Waiting for the front and rear crash bars along with the horn cover to be attached as waiting for them to be chromed.

Planning to get her back tomorrow . will update the pictures tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the inputs from time to time

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 21st October 2011, 21:34   #145
BHPian

Quote:

Regards

Sushil Narayanan

Hi Everyone,

Its time now to get my babe back home as the assembly is completed. had visited the mechanic today she looks awesome , just like she is out of the showroom. Today I started the engine and was amazed at the smoothness and the sound . seems just like a new scooter with the sweet whistling sound.

The only thing Remaining is Waiting for the front and rear crash bars along with the horn cover to be attached as waiting for them to be chromed.

Planning to get her back tomorrow . will update the pictures tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the inputs from time to time

Regards

Sushil Narayanan[/quote]

Dude.. stop testing our patience now. Give us some pictures..

Last edited by priyadarshan.b : 21st October 2011 at 21:36.
priyadarshan.b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2011, 00:05   #146
BHPian

Dude.. stop testing our patience now. Give us some pictures.. [/quote]

Hi priyadarshan,
here you go brother some pics that I took from my mobile phone just for your eyes only. Sorry for the bad quality was waiting for a better camera to capture the same but did not want to make you wait any longer. Will post a full photo session once all the pending work on the same is completed and the scooter is back.

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0437.jpg

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-spm_a0438.jpg

List of Things remaining:
  • Waiting for the front and rear crash bars and the horn cover along with the front seat spring to be chromed and attached.
  • My mechanic suggested that he would leave the engine running idle for another 8 to 12 hours for the initial run in to be completed before the vehicle is used. After which I need to observe certain things for the first 2000 kms of ride.
  • Fitting of the bajaj logo at various places and fitting the new floor mat and stephny cover needs to be completed.
  • The fully assembled vehicle will be sent to the painter for complete re-inspection and touch up where ever required and a thorough polishing to get that enhanced shine.
After all the above we can says that the vehicle will look just like how it was , when it was newly purchased.

Thanks and Regards

Sushil Narayanan
sushil_n79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 18:39   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Dude.. stop testing our patience now. Give us some pictures..
Hi priyadarshan,
here you go brother some pics that I took from my mobile phone just for your eyes only. Sorry for the bad quality was waiting for a better camera to capture the same but did not want to make you wait any longer. Will post a full photo session once all the pending work on the same is completed and the scooter is back.

Attachment 831045

Attachment 831046

• Waiting for the front and rear crash bars and the horn cover along with the front seat spring to be chromed and attached.
  • My mechanic suggested that he would leave the engine running idle for another 8 to 12 hours for the initial run in to be completed before the vehicle is used. After which I need to observe certain things for the first 2000 kms of ride.
  • Fitting of the bajaj logo at various places and fitting the new floor mat and stephny cover needs to be completed.
  • The fully assembled vehicle will be sent to the painter for complete re-inspection and touch up where ever required and a thorough polishing to get that enhanced shine.
After all the above we can says that the vehicle will look just like how it was , when it was newly purchased.

Thanks and Regards

Sushil Narayanan[/quote]

Hey she is looking so nice and period.. Its making me think about getting one of my own. I bet she is looking better that what she looked when bought new.
Where did you get that tail lamp assembly from? I want one like that...

You must be very happy and proud to own something like that..

Priyadarshan
Old 24th October 2011, 19:54   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi priyadarshan,

Attachment 831045

Attachment 831046

Thanks and Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Thats a nice job very well executed Sushil.The 37 year old scooter is almost like new now and can tirelessly run for years.These machines needed very little maintenance. There was no battery which is very much an integral part of any new two wheeler today. So if its not used for long due to some reasons,the battery and electronics go haywire.
But the older Bajaj's need just a kick or may be few to get cranking again, get back on the road and run around. Happy Driving. Do keep us posted for more here.
Old 25th October 2011, 10:22   #149
BHPian

Hey she is looking so nice and period.. Its making me think about getting one of my own. I bet she is looking better that what she looked when bought new.
Where did you get that tail lamp assembly from? I want one like that...

You must be very happy and proud to own something like that.

Hi Priyadarshan,
Yes she has turned out to be really great, Well regarding if its better than how she was when bought new will be decided once my mother sees and certifies the same, but thanks for the wishes though.Yes regarding the tail lamps I paid a bomb and got them from Koti area ,Hyderabad But later realized the same was available for half of what i paid here in Karol bagh area New Delhi.. Anyway at that time getting it was more of priority. But trust me it feels great looking at her now and knowing that she is going to be with me with her new leash of life. I am sure my father will be really happy seeing her wherever he is now and will always shower his blessings on me. All the best for getting one like her for yourself... trust me you will feel great riding a baja150 or a vespa 150, its a different feeling altogether.

Thats a nice job very well executed Sushil.The 37 year old scooter is almost like new now and can tirelessly run for years.These machines needed very little maintenance. There was no battery which is very much an integral part of any new two wheeler today. So if its not used for long due to some reasons,the battery and electronics go haywire.
But the older Bajaj's need just a kick or may be few to get cranking again, get back on the road and run around. Happy Driving. Do keep us posted for more here.

Hi Anjan Sir,
Thanks for the compliment regarding the scooter. I am indebted to your timely inputs from time to time throughout the project which ensured that the road that I was on , is the correct one. Its indeed sporting possibly everything new. infact was nice to see that a lot of things which were non functional earlier are perfectly working now. Hope I can maintain her that way forever.
These machines needed very little maintenance. There was no battery which is very much an integral part of any new two wheeler today. So if its not used for long due to some reasons,the battery and electronics go haywire.But the older Bajaj's need just a kick or may be few to get cranking again, get back on the road and run around.
I will be sharing the experiences with it going forward and the maintenance schedule as well which can be a sort of guidance for not only restoring but also maintaining the scooter that way.

Thanks and regards

Sushil Narayanan.
Old 27th October 2011, 05:31   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Rahul,

how much did you get the trapezoidal handle, headlamp assembly and speedo for? I am looking for them too.

Priyadarshan
Well, my mission of procuring the trapezoidal handle took a surprisingly unexpected turn! The shop owner who said that he had the handle lying in his godown initially quoted a price of about 500.00 to 600.00 which I thought was fair enough considering the fact that it was new old stock (NOS). He said that he had a gunny bag with 2-3 units. Finally he called me after 2 months and said that he had found one piece. But the price he quoted after he found the handle was ridiculous. He quoted a price of 1100.00. I politely refused. He budged a little and said that the last price would be 950.00. I clearly told him that he is quoting way beyond what he had initially promised and I declined the offer. I also enquired at a few other shops who said that they could "source" the handle but even the rates they quoted were ridiculous. They were quoting a price of around 1200.00. If one visits the scrap yard, I guess the handle can be got for anywhere between 400.00 to 700.00.

A few days later on a weekend, I happened to visit a school friend after a gap of nearly 15 years. While catching up with old times, the discussion of scooters and cars came up and that is when to my surprise he told me that he also had a Bajaj Super! He had also changed the handle bar from the trapezoidal one to a round one. But the best part was he had retained the trapezoidal handle bar even after selling the scooter 5 years back! When I told him that I was searching for one, he immediately opened the store room in his house and found it. He gifted me the trapezoidal handle bar and refused to charge for it!! What an unexpected but pleasant end in my search for a trapezoidal handle bar!! I was lucky to get the handle in time from him as it was on his list of things to dispose off when cleaning the house for Diwali!! Well, one man's Diwali scrap is another man's Diwali gift!!

I already had a spare trapezoidal head lamp assembly that I found in our garage. Need to check the current price in the market. Still need to go and pick up the speedometer.

Quote:
here you go brother some pics that I took from my mobile phone just for your eyes only.
Hey Sushil, the scooter is going to turn a lot of heads when it is back on the road! Great job! Along with the scooter paint touch up and polish, also treat the tyres with some black polish. This will go a long way in enhancing the overall look of the scooter!

Rahul Waghmare.

Last edited by Scarlet_Rider : 27th October 2011 at 05:40.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks