Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2012, 15:35   #1
h14
BHPian

1962 Fiat 1100 Super Select - Ownership Log

After years of searching and planning, finally another FIAT came home today. This is the 7th FIAT in the family and the first classic. I was initially on the lookout for a 1100D, but good ones were hard to come by and finally, I laid my hands on this beauty. How often has one said that you never buy a FIAT and rather a FIAT buys you and it has happened once again for me.

It's a 1962 Super Select with most original components intact. The components missing are the hubcaps, horn button, meters and the fender indicators. Have already informed my sources for these items and will start collecting and adding them as and when I get it.

Adding one picture for now. More pics and details to follow:

1962 Fiat 1100 Super Select - Ownership Log-dsc_0252.jpg

Expert opinion on what more are missing and what more I need to do to make it perfect will be of great help.
h14 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 16:11   #2
BHPian

re: 1962 Fiat 1100 Super Select - Ownership Log

looks immaculate !
i reckon only the antenna and the hunting light i reckon are aftermarket
jubin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 16:22   #3
BHPian

Hearty Congratulations h14 !

1100D would've been lovable but this is a real classic, looks in a pretty good shape. Nothing seems which requires immediate attention at first glance.

Had it been in my garage, I would remove those extra lights and the antenna, to restore it to its original shape. It doesn't seem neccessary and somehow makes it look cheaply modded, but its just my opinion.

How is the ride ? Please post complete pics (exterior, interior and engine bay). I would recommend you to look out for any rusty areas on the whole body and treat them asap.

Anyway, its a beauty and treat to the eyes. Well done
Fiest@DuraTec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 16:25   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
It's a 1962 Super Select with most original components intact. The components missing are the hubcaps, horn button, meters and the fender indicators. Have already informed my sources for these items and will start collecting and adding them as and when I get it.
Congratulations on your acquisition. The car looks pleasing, looking forward to additional pictures.

The list of parts to collect is usually endless, but don't get too crazy on originality or you'll pull your hair out and burn a hole in your pocket these days. Focus more on reliability and peace of mind. I speak from learning the hard way The items to look out for I can see are side trims, hubcaps, parking lights, side indicators and wipers. The plus points I can see are a nice grille and bumper, quarter glasses, original wheels and handles (if they are all in place) and white wall tyres.

I like the colour, a period shade. My 1960 model is in the same colour incidentally.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 16:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Expert opinion on what more are missing and what more I need to do to make it perfect will be of great help.
Very nice car! put up pictures of the interiors too. I agree with Karl that pursuit of instant originality will lead to instant financial Hemorrhage. It is my experience that parts of a SS are far easier to find then an elegant and Millecento. Ebay italy is a great source.

I agree loose the Antenna , recently i put a very discrete antenna(digital) on the dashboard of my mercedes to work with the original Becker Europa stereo, does not interfere with originality and no holes. Spotlights i feel are always meant for larger cars, not cute Fiats.

Enjoy the car!
the mole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 18:11   #6
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubin View Post
looks immaculate !
i reckon only the antenna and the hunting light i reckon are aftermarket
Thanks a lot jubin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post
Hearty Congratulations h14 !

1100D would've been lovable but this is a real classic, looks in a pretty good shape. Nothing seems which requires immediate attention at first glance.

Had it been in my garage, I would remove those extra lights and the antenna, to restore it to its original shape. It doesn't seem neccessary and somehow makes it look cheaply modded, but its just my opinion.

How is the ride ? Please post complete pics (exterior, interior and engine bay). I would recommend you to look out for any rusty areas on the whole body and treat them asap.

Anyway, its a beauty and treat to the eyes. Well done
Thanks a lot Fiest@DuraTec. It drives very well. There are rusty areas in the boot door and in the areas below the front and rear doors. But I'm not gonna start on the body work as of now as my Amby is not yet back from the garage. Planning to start on the body work by next year and the antenna and lights will go by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Congratulations on your acquisition. The car looks pleasing, looking forward to additional pictures.

The list of parts to collect is usually endless, but don't get too crazy on originality or you'll pull your hair out and burn a hole in your pocket these days. Focus more on reliability and peace of mind.
Thanks a ton Karl! I completely understand on what you say and its definitely gonna be like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Very nice car! put up pictures of the interiors too.
Enjoy the car!
Thanks you so much the mole! More pictures are here:

1962 Fiat 1100 Super Select - Ownership Log-dsc_0254.jpg
A shot of the rear. Note the non OE reverse lights.

1962 Fiat 1100 Super Select - Ownership Log-dsc_0257.jpg
The wheels up close. The tyre's aren't white walls, but regular MRF nylons painted in white.

Some random shots of the interior:

1962 Fiat 1100 Super Select - Ownership Log-dsc_0258.jpg

1962 Fiat 1100 Super Select - Ownership Log-dsc_0260.jpg

1962 Fiat 1100 Super Select - Ownership Log-dsc_0261.jpg

1962 Fiat 1100 Super Select - Ownership Log-dsc_0262.jpg

1962 Fiat 1100 Super Select - Ownership Log-dsc_0263.jpg
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 18:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Fiest@DuraTec. It drives very well. There are rusty areas in the boot door and in the areas below the front and rear doors. But I'm not gonna start on the body work as of now as my Amby is not yet back from the garage. Planning to start on the body work by next year and the antenna and lights will go by then.
Great !! I have always been a fan of the FIAT's and the AMBY's. I had an Amby long back, started troubling after a long service of 10 years...during which it was used as a truck to carry stuff. Persisted dad to retain it and restore, but was told to concentrate on my studies

Anyway, the body looks in a very good shape. Interiors are a bliss for such an old car..overall an excellent package. You mind disclosing the cost of the deal ?

Good to hear you have the body work in mind. Again an excellent decision to buy a beauty.
Old 30th May 2012, 19:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice gets buddy, she looks very sound. There are list of items that you should change to bring her to originality, but all can be done slowly and as and when you find them.

Congrats once again on a nice find.
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 21:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi H14,
You are absolutely correct when you say that "you never buy a FIAT and rather a FIAT buys you". The overall car looks nice. I love that shade of paint.
Please post some underhood pics too & that of the trunk.
Dont rush into RESTO job of ORIGINALITY.
Meanwhile ENJOY the car.

Raab rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 22:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Great find H14, SS looks very sound inside out. Like the spot light mounted at the fender, if possible please retain that, looks period.
Please post some pics of the engine bay too.
samsag12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 22:27   #11
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post
Great !! I have always been a fan of the FIAT's and the AMBY's. I had an Amby long back, started troubling after a long service of 10 years...
Good to hear you have the body work in mind. Again an excellent decision to buy a beauty.
Thanks again. My amby has a story of its own. More details in here if you are interested. Will disclose the price once I make the payment.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...y-my-amby.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Nice gets buddy, she looks very sound.
Congrats once again on a nice find.
Thanks a lot Manish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
The overall car looks nice. I love that shade of paint. Please post some underhood pics too & that of the trunk.
Dont rush into RESTO job of ORIGINALITY.
Meanwhile ENJOY the car.
Raab rakha.
Thanks ariesonu. Will post the pics tomorrow. I'm gonna enjoy it for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Great find H14, SS looks very sound inside out. Like the spot light mounted at the fender, if possible please retain that, looks period.
Please post some pics of the engine bay too.
Thanks samsag12, the pics will come tomorrow.

Last edited by h14 : 30th May 2012 at 22:29.
Old 1st June 2012, 17:47   #12
h14
BHPian

Just came back from the RTO office. Had to go for the FC. I was told that the brake inspector was a strict and straight forward person. Was a bit worried while going, but he never asked anything, had a good look at the car, checked the papers and verified the chassis no and signed them.

Everything was over in 10 mins flat!

RTO Charges

Transfer of Ownership- Rs. 500
FC - Rs. 2000

Last edited by h14 : 1st June 2012 at 17:52.
Old 1st June 2012, 18:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on becoming the legal owner of the car, your RTO experience was very good, otherwise its a nightmare to get the work done in this Govt. Dept. (atleast in Lucknow)
samsag12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 23:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

WOW - Another Super Select ! A warm welcome to the Super Select fraternity, bro' That's a real nice baby you've got yourself.

Lovely number plates, grille, bumpers, well- lot's of original goodies there, the front view's the best I would say - that heart-warmingly friendly look that IMHO only a Super Select can exude !!

Enjoy the car before you get into a resto, I would venture to say you don't really need to work on the car at all for now. Simply collect what you need, and sit back.

I may be wrong, but do the side trims look a bit misaligned ? The first picture (front view) and rear view seem to convey this, could be a trick of the camera. Can you post some clearer side profile pictures ?

Happy motoring !!
SuperSelect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2012, 13:14   #15
h14
BHPian

Thank you so much SuperSelect! Yes I'm gonna enjoy the car as of now. The only thing that I'm gonna change immediately is the front windshield. It's full of scratches and almost impossible to drive at night.

Yes, the beadings are a bit misaligned but not as bad as the picture speaks. Have just a couple of pics, will post them once I reach home. For some more pics, it's gonna take time as I'm back to Chennai and the car is in Coimbatore. :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks