Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2013, 15:46   #31
BHPian

Re: 1970 VW Beetle Restoration - Delivered

I cant understand whats so funny about the word 'powerful'. The ad is being posted on olx and a number of sites. The genuine buyers with real taste are rare and the response happens mostly from timewasters..
Old 27th December 2013, 20:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharoncr_17 View Post
I cant understand whats so funny about the word 'powerful'. The ad is being posted on olx and a number of sites. The genuine buyers with real taste are rare and the response happens mostly from timewasters..
There is nothing funny about the word powerful per se,but claiming a VW beetle with 1200cc engine as powerful one is really funny because the only major drawback of the 1200cc aircooled engine was lack of power when compared to the 1300cc, 1500cc and the 1600cc engines which were options available in the latter part of sixties onwards.Most air cooled enthusiasts are aware of this.
Also I am sure there would be many genuine buyers ,but they would be seeking genuine cars at genuine prices, not cars which when restored (that too on a BUDGET as mentioned in this thread)was a 1970 model now being advertised as 1969.what is the reason for that???

Last edited by ajay99 : 27th December 2013 at 20:24.
ajay99 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 20:44   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
There is nothing funny about the word powerful per se,but claiming a VW beetle with 1200cc engine as powerful one is really funny because the only major drawback of the 1200cc aircooled engine was lack of power when compared to the 1300cc, 1500cc and the 1600cc engines which were options available in the latter part of sixties onwards.Most air cooled enthusiasts are aware of this.
Also I am sure there would be many genuine buyers ,but they would be seeking genuine cars at genuine prices, not cars which when restored (that too on a BUDGET as mentioned in this thread)was a 1970 model now being advertised as 1969.what is the reason for that???
Apparently i heard the seller wanted 12 lacs for it and said that he spent 7 lacs on restorations !! It is amazing to hear the lengths people go to when selling an absolute mediocre car. Last heard he is willing to sell even for 5 lacs !!
67Bug is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2013, 10:32   #34
BHPian

One "prospective buyer" had mailed a quote of 4 lacks and I thought he just wanted the tires.. ASAF the year of make will be clearly written in the RC book.

We are not forcing any T,D or H to buy this, as we are not in dire need of money.
Old 28th December 2013, 11:16   #35
BANNED

Too much of Off-Topic discussion spoiling the thread. lets discuss buying and selling on another thread meant for the same.

Also, did someone mention 7 lacs for restoration alone!!!!. For the record, the whole cost of restoration was limited to 1,24lacs all inclusive ( tinkering, painting, wiring, leather upholstery, mechanicals, spare parts, cosmetical parts, detailing etc., and a little unpaid bills ) Was not granted a penny more than this, just wanted another 20k for gearbox replacement.

Now its a different story that lot of third party dealings are going around with this car, lets stop discussing it over here in this thread please.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 28th December 2013 at 11:18.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th December 2013, 15:26   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One "prospective buyer" had mailed a quote of 4 lacks and I thought he just wanted the tires.. ASAF the year of make will be clearly written in the RC book.

We are not forcing any T,D or H to buy this, as we are not in dire need of money.
Pardon my ignorance of the new generation slangs/lingo What does ASAF means? is it all sales are final??
Every T,D and H,knows that the year of manufacture will be written on the RC book,but our doubt is how come a 1970 model car became a 1969 model??
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2013, 16:07   #37
BHPian

The rc will only show details of vehicle number which is written on that RC. seen this car in a garage in kerala last year.

it has KCE2825 no on it at the time it reached Bengalore for repair. as per rtosite the above no car is model 1969 and its hp is mentioned as 15.60 and not as12, if it was a 1200 engine.

if people doubt somethig fawlty can they be blamed.
Old 28th December 2013, 16:14   #38
BHPian

The oldest trick in the book used by brokers to come down on the price.

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance of the new generation slangs/lingo What does ASAF means? is it all sales are final??
Every T,D and H,knows that the year of manufacture will be written on the RC book,but our doubt is how come a 1970 model car became a 1969 model??
You are most welcome to come over and check the RC, provided you have your RT Officer ID with you.

Last edited by moralfibre : 29th December 2013 at 07:49. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT/MULTI-QUOTE within 30 minutes of posting.
Old 28th December 2013, 16:19   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Excuse me Gentlemen, but I am totally confused. What I understand from broken links...is that Pavan is not the owner. He just did a restoration job...right? Who is the owner of this VW? Is it Sharon? or someone else? Who has posted the OLX ad?

Feel free to ignore the question (if you guys really feel like) and please continue!
Old 28th December 2013, 16:24   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Excuse me Gentlemen, but I am totally confused. What I understand from broken links...is that Pavan is not the owner. He just did a restoration job...right? Who is the owner of this VW? Is it Sharon? or someone else? Who has posted the OLX ad?

Feel free to ignore the question (if you guys really feel like) and please continue!
To cut the story short...

The bug belongs to a very close friend of mine (a Neurologist), and it has been restored by Pavan. The RTO website says that the bug with KCE 2825 is a 1969 model while our some folks feel that they know more than the RTO and argue that its a 70 model.

The vehicle is posted in olx and some folks want to get it cheap by trying the oldest trick in the trade.
Old 28th December 2013, 16:28   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To cut the story short...
Oh! Thanks for the clarification...helps me understand the situation better!
Old 28th December 2013, 17:48   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The oldest trick in the book used by brokers to come down on the price.
NO need to get worked up dear friend, calling others who point out facts ""brokers'' is still older trick. personally have neither no interest in this particular vehicle nor have ever contacted the seller for it.I think the same holds for people like 67bug who has several good beetles already.

Quote:
You are most welcome to come over and check the RC, provided you have your RT Officer ID with you.
These are all unwanted statements.Please read the title of this thread-1970 BEETLE RESTORATION. you only first posted that the very same car is for sale in this thread and to pm you. Then the sellers ad says it is 1969 model. Now why get angry at others for that .As the saying goes ""Facts are always stranger than Fiction''

Last edited by ajay99 : 28th December 2013 at 17:50.
ajay99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2013, 18:10   #43
BHPian

As always, I won't comment on the asking price. I believe that is for the buyer and seller to discuss and decide.

When it comes to discussions of the model year of a VW, one needs to note that as per VW records, the 1970 model year includes all vehicles manufactured between July 1969 and August 1970.

The year mentioned in the RC book is generally the year of first registration.

So it is possible that a 1970 model VW that was manufactured in July 1969, could have been imported and registered before Dec 1969, and hence has 1969 mentioned in the RC book.

One will note that the reverse is not true. A 1967 model year VW should not have 1968 in the RC book.

A simple rule that works in all situations is to always order parts by chassis number and handle all paperwork by the registration year in the RC book.

With regard to the power of the engine, this particular car has a dual port 1200cc engine, which generates more power than a 'regular' single-port 1200cc engine.
I was not aware at the time, that VW made dual port 1200cc engines, but a quick google search does reveal some references.
However, I am yet to find any company literature, confirming or refuting this, so I cannot comment further on this.
thebulletboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2013, 20:42   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
With regard to the power of the engine, this particular car has a dual port 1200cc engine, which generates more power than a 'regular' single-port 1200cc engine.
I was not aware at the time, that VW made dual port 1200cc engines, but a quick google search does reveal some references.
However, I am yet to find any company literature, confirming or refuting this, so I cannot comment further on this.
To the best of my info VW never produced 1200cc dual port engines,but 1300 dual port engines were made available in some european markets,but never in the US.
Attached Thumbnails
1970 VW Beetle Restoration - Delivered-intakeportdifferences40vs.jpg  

1970 VW Beetle Restoration - Delivered-intakemanifolddifferencessp.jpg  

1970 VW Beetle Restoration - Delivered-enginedatachart.jpg  

ajay99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2013, 22:19   #45
BHPian

Quote:
To the best of my info VW never produced 1200cc dual port engines,but 1300 dual port engines were made available in some european markets,but never in the US.
Here are pics of the engine on this car. It's a D-series 1200cc engine case and it has dual port heads and manifold. I was quite surprised when I saw this.

The engine number does not appear to have been tampered with. One can still see the VW logo before the 'D'

As you mentioned, a 1300cc dual port engine did exist as an AB series engine number, while the single port 1300cc would have a E or F series number.

On one hand, if this is an original VW made 1200cc dual port, it would be surprising to note that VW continued to use the same D-series numbers even for the dual port 1200.

On the other hand, I suppose we could assume that this is a local swap with a 1300cc dual port head.
However, I do not think heads for the 1200 and 1300 are directly interchangable. I have'nt ever tried this!

I welcome your opinions on this. I must admit, it has me quite flummoxed!

1970 VW Beetle Restoration - Delivered-10012013706.jpg
1970 VW Beetle Restoration - Delivered-10012013705.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks