Kolkata - 1959 Fiat Milicento / Select-dsc03087.jpg

Kolkata - 1959 Fiat Milicento / Select-dsc03088.jpg

Kolkata - 1959 Fiat Milicento / Select-dsc03089.jpg

Kolkata - 1959 Fiat Milicento / Select-dsc03090.jpg

Kolkata - 1959 Fiat Milicento / Select-dsc03091.jpg

Kolkata - 1959 Fiat Milicento / Select-dsc03092.jpg

Kolkata - 1959 Fiat Milicento / Select-dsc03093.jpg

Dear Friends,

I introduce to you my new ride, 1959 Fiat, only 24000 kms, and mostly 95% original. This is my second Fiat, first being the Elegant

Buying experience - This purchase of mine was not at all planned. I got a call from an agent on Sunday at 8:30 am enlighteneing me about the availability of the car. As usual he was praising the car on phone, which is pretty common with these agents. However, being a non working day I took the efforts to go all the way to the point of sale. As I saw the car, I was amazed at its body line and originality. The speedometer read 24000 kilometers, which was evident seeing the condition of the car. However, without bargaining much I pounced on the car and struck the deal. I immediately went back home and came back with the funds, and a flat bed trailer. Finaly at 8pm in the evening my new acquisition was in my home.

After giving it a wash, I just fixed in a new battery and filled fuel directly, and she fired up in half crank. The engine is sizzling. On driving the car for a kilometer, I analysed that the brakes were weak, and the suspension was good enough.

Missing / original parts required:

1) Air cleaner.
2) Indicator lamps ( eye type)
3) Tail lamp assembley complete.
4) Inner sun visors.
5) Clip Type hub caps.
6) Wheel clips.
7) Rear boot hinges and Aluminium cover (already procured)
8) Metal engine fan (already procured)
9) Inner roof lamps.
10) Dashboard plastic knob set.
11) Toggle switches.
12) Dickey lock Aluminium type.
13) Fuel cap (thread lock external type)
14) Any others which I might overlook.

My Plan of action:

I plan to overhaul the steering, suspension, gearbox, brakes, exhaust system completely. The engine needs oral attention. I would scrape the car down to bear metal and paint it as per the original shade, after superficial body work. The chrome plating would need to be done as well. Wiring and electricals would be made new. Since the car has tattered original aphoulstry, I would replicate the same brand new. Ofcource sourcing the above with the bhpian help and my own luck. Tyres have already been ordered (ww not available). All in all I would try reaching this car to 100% originality and restored to concourz standards.

Kindly view the attached pics and discuss the needful. Looking forward to the cooperation from you experts...

Warmest Regards...

Last edited by FIAT'57'Kolkata : 25th February 2013 at 21:06. Reason: As adviced my moderator.
FIAT'57'Kolkata is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 10:56   #2
BHPian

Re: Kolkata - 1959 Fiat Milicento / Select

Congratulations on your second car! Good to see the car's shape and external fittings intact. Looks like it was in very good hands and well taken care of. Awaiting more pics!

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 25th February 2013, 11:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT'57'Kolkata View Post
Dear Friends,

I introduce to you my new ride, 1959 Fiat, only 24000 kms, and mostly 95% original. This is just a first glance picture I am posting. I would be posting the detailed pictures after giving the car a good wash tomorrow.

This is my second Fiat, first being the Elegant

Warmest Regards...
Congrats on yet another car and that too Select. I am delighted to see more and more of selects being restored. Please put more pictures.

I have one request - does your the car comes with a plastic tray on the left hand side below the dashboard. If yes then can you share the pictures and dimesions of the same. I have to replicate the same.

Also you seem to be lucky in getting parts. Can you fond me some wheel cover clips - I am missing few in my car.
Old 25th February 2013, 11:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, she is simply beautiful. Pls do include engine bay and trunk photos too.

Raab rakha.
Old 26th February 2013, 14:20   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Classic Cars Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 26th February 2013, 16:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Does it have the'' millicento ''or the fiat1100 monogram on the bootlid?
Old 26th February 2013, 19:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

I learnt how to drive in this car and a Moris Minor. It was a 1962 one and it was my daily drive . We sold it off for only 5k in 2003 . The guy had come from Mullick bazar since it was being sold as shack. Little did he realize the condition of the car. Was delighted that he could drive it off. I regret it till today but our financial condition was at an all time low. Didn't have an option.

Do enjoy your car. Its an awesome machine.
Old 26th February 2013, 20:49   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Friends,

I introduce to you my new ride, 1959 Fiat, only 24000 kms, and mostly 95% original. This is my second Fiat, first being the Elegant

4) Inner sun visors.
Congrats on your acquisition! This is indeed one neat, original car you've got there!
From the engine bay pics. the original/previous colour seems to have been Black.

I see that the regn. is Orissa- is it Sambhalpur (going by the 'S')? But it appears that it didnt spend much of its life there, as the condition is far better than what could be expected of cars in districts.

Speaking of which, can the papers etc. be sorted out considering its an out-of-state car?

Sunvisors- if they are the same as the 'normal' Fiats (experts- clarify please!) I have a pair with me that can go to a good home.

Last edited by Stanher : 26th February 2013 at 20:51.
Old 26th February 2013, 21:46   #9
BHPian

What a Find! Can't wait to go on drive with both of your cars, mind you, I'll probably feel like a poor cousin.

So rare to see so much of the original interiors and hardware in place, particularly the mag net on the back seat!

I've had a few comments on my 62 Fiat WBF-1, that I had one too many Fiat emblems on the front on my car, the on the hood and one on the grill. I see that your car has both as well. Any guidance?

I've been considering finding the plain hood chrome trim and at some point, when the car is brought up to AAA Concours condition and not driven every day, having it on hand to install. I've just had one of those demons from hell, An Auto-rickshaw, pull out one side of my front bumper when cutting me off and will could use a new front bumper to put away.

I've added photos of the car when I first purchased it and one showing the original green body colour for reference.
I've also picked up a number of plastic parking light lens that I would be pleased to share.
Attached Thumbnails
Kolkata - 1959 Fiat Milicento / Select-5.jpg  

Kolkata - 1959 Fiat Milicento / Select-4.jpg  

Kolkata - 1959 Fiat Milicento / Select-r4_2.jpg  

Last edited by john a milne : 26th February 2013 at 21:47.
Old 26th February 2013, 23:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Wow! thats a nice car you got there. Looks pretty decent body-wise from the pics. Check on a small patch if the original paint coat lies underneath the outercoat, then do not scrape the whole paint off, given that the best time in Kolkata to do it is over and it will get more and more humid.

The rims dont seem to carry a single clip. Its going to be quite a project to get them. Infact the best looking Fiat hubcaps, need the clips!!

Attaching a recent pic of my 1969 Delight with clipped hubcap.

Kolkata - 1959 Fiat Milicento / Select-img_0502.jpg
Old 26th February 2013, 23:27   #11
BHPian

Dear Friends,

I have already started scouting for the required parts and have got a few leads as well.

This morning I picked up aluminium inner door handles, which is present in this car, but for stock. I bought the original sunvisor and the metal MS engine fan as well. Wuile on the hunt, I came across a lot of ivory inner door handle plastic washers (not pertaining to this car, but suitable for the elegant). The original dickey hinges with aluminium cover was brought in yesterday. I believe that at some point the hinges were removed by the prevous owner for reasons unknown. I found oval aluminium plates which are fitted as an accessory under the outer door handles. My all time favourite Fiat straight through muffler was also picked up.

Surprisingly this car has all four aluminium brake drums as well, which is a boon in disguise. The under dash has a full parcel shelf, and not a plastic tray. The car papers are of Behrampur, having lifetime tax paidup. As according to me the centre of the grille should have a Gold millicento script, and the rear boot too should have a millicento script. Looks like the boot was replaced with that of a super select at some point of time. Yes, I am even trying to assure the original colour being black, which I would come to know once I start scraping the car. John Uncle, I love your WBF1, and only if this would have been a super select, I would have incorporated the deluxe trims, immitated from your car. Your fiat badge on your front grill looks raised to accomodate the AAEI badge, and I shall try finding you an original hood ornament.

The rear seat has a hole for the ash tray, is it common with the padmini ash tray, please advice..

Warm Regards...
Old 27th February 2013, 12:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Friends,

The rear seat has a hole for the ash tray, is it common with the padmini ash tray, please advice..

Warm Regards...
The Ashtray is like this one -

Kolkata - 1959 Fiat Milicento / Select-dsc06689.jpg
Old 27th February 2013, 21:10   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
I've had a few comments on my 62 Fiat WBF-1, that I had one too many Fiat emblems on the front on my car, the on the hood and one on the grill. I see that your car has both as well. Any guidance?

I've been considering finding the plain hood chrome trim and at some point, when the car is brought up to AAA Concours condition and not driven every day, having it on hand to install.
Reg. the badges, the '59-61 'SELECTS' had only one badge on the bonnet/hood centre edge, topped by the slim chrome/SS trim, plus NO emblem badge on the grille (The 'Millecento' badge mentioned had come on the Italian market ones, maybe early Indian cars did have them, but in that case too there should have been quite a few of them to have sported these), as seen on this car(not blanking out the number as it belongs to a tbhpian):

Kolkata - 1959 Fiat Milicento / Select-img_1945.jpg

While the successive 'SUPER-SELECT' had the bigger FIAT emblem badge on the (different) grille and none on the bonnet but the hood ornament/trim was a thicker, larger and slightly longer piece that came right upto the ;lip' of the bonnet edge:

PS: Ignore the parking light lenses on this one, they aint original!
Kolkata - 1959 Fiat Milicento / Select-img_0161.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 27th February 2013 at 21:12.
Old 28th February 2013, 22:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

What a beautifully original select!!
Congratulations bro, I really really envy you!!

Looking forward to the restoration - my eyes are glued to this thread!
Old 1st March 2013, 23:35   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I came across a lot of ivory inner door handle plastic washers (not pertaining to this car, but suitable for the elegant). The original dickey hinges with aluminium cover was brought in yesterday.

Firstly congrats on your second car and you seem to have a genie finidng parts .

I could do with a couple of the plastic washers for my millecento if possible and also if you could find some additional dickey hinges ,mine seem to be battered ...

Thanks

Prashanth

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th March 2013 at 08:53. Reason: Fixing quote

Most Viewed