Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2013, 15:00   #31
BHPian

Re: Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Cal,
A q about the tyres- do they have Whitewall inserts fitted on them? I believe they are available fo these tyres (15.60-13) in Goa?

yea they have these whitewall inserts. i have them for my merc w110, you get it in all sizes. but am not sure where the owner sourced them for the herald but for my car i had ordered it online.
Old 22nd June 2013, 18:42   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by calrock View Post
yea they have these whitewall inserts.
There is one area which is never done right in almost all Triumph/ Standard Herald restorations and I notice that it would be the same in your case too. I am pointing this out as you seem to have gone through a lot of trouble to get this right. It is the part of the body that curves down backwards under the rear circular bumper portion. The rear bumper comes in 3 pieces and I refer to the main rear facing piece. The circular bumper portion is okay, but the part that extends downwards should end in a small lip (about 5 mm) that extends from one end to the other. This lip and the curvature downwards should at all points of the curve be perfectly parallel to the ground (should be a straight line). I see that your bumper under-extension has a portion that protrudes outwards. If this part is done okay, then the two smaller side rear bumper pieces would also have the right curve which are fixed on by two bolts (externally visible) on either side. The curves downwards on the front bumper and the rear 3 pieces are usually never done right as it involves a good tinkerer to get it right. You would do well to have these rectified.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 18:58   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the car happen to have a dashboard made of sheet metal and as it originally came with a wooden dashboard , i got one made with our carpenter.
I'm not sure, but the original is probably a wood veneer fitted to a base frame either in metal or hardboard. I'd also paint the tappet cover in black, but otherwise the car will turn out very pleasing, well done.
Old 22nd June 2013, 19:16   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I'm not sure, but the original is probably a wood veneer fitted to a base frame either in metal or hardboard.
Yes, it never came with wood. It was always veneer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I'd also paint the tappet cover in black, but otherwise the car will turn out very pleasing, well done.
Yes, please do paint all that you have painted red into black - the fan, oil filler cap, oil breather pipe etc.., if your intention is to have the car close to the original. I did notice this choice of colour but since they were so glaring, thought you had a penchant for red !
Old 25th June 2013, 20:04   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Yes, it never came with wood. It was always veneer.

Yes, please do paint all that you have painted red into black - the fan, oil filler cap, oil breather pipe etc.., if your intention is to have the car close to the original. I did notice this choice of colour but since they were so glaring, thought you had a penchant for red !

yes after painting it red i felt the same. the car is back in goa now.
Old 25th June 2013, 20:15   #36
BHPian

got the wiring done and the dashboard in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05781.jpg  

Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05785.jpg  

Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05786.jpg  

Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05789.jpg  

Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05791.jpg  

Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05792.jpg  

Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05793.jpg  

Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05794.jpg  

Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05825.jpg  

Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05826.jpg  

calrock is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 20:21   #37
BHPian

the car was restored according to the owners choice and specification. i pointed out the red in the engine bay. i guess he mite change it to black.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05837.jpg  

Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05841.jpg  

Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05847.jpg  

Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05848.jpg  

Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05849.jpg  

Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05867.jpg  

Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05868.jpg  

Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05870.jpg  

calrock is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 20:22   #38
BANNED

Quote:
got the wiring done and the dashboard in place.
Looking at the way things are going, I would rate this Restoration very high on detail

Very nice job being done, keep it up. Wishing you all the best for the further work.
Old 25th June 2013, 20:37   #39
BHPian

thanks a ton. here are the last few pictures of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05881.jpg  

Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05882.jpg  

Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05879.jpg  

Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05888.jpg  

Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05892.jpg  

Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05893.jpg  

Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05894.jpg  

Restoration: Triumph / Standard Herald-dsc05895.jpg  

calrock is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 22:39   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the car was restored according to the owners choice and specification. i pointed out the red in the engine bay. i guess he mite change it to black.
Quote:
A superb job done! However, a few things which I hope are not considered criticisms.

1) Actually the tappet cover looks quite nice in red (IMHO! ) However the air filter is best left black. The numberplates too would've looked better in the "Bangalore style" stencil font that the car earlier had.

2) The "herald" roof badges are both fitted incorrectly, the one fitted on the right side is actually meant for the left side and vice-versa! Considering the car had them fitted correctly before the restoration, it should've sufficiently served to guide the garage guys while fitting back the cosmetics. If possible you could point this out to the owner.

3) In the first set of pics. after the resto, the car is fitted with the correct original "Standard" bonnet badge but later on it's been replaced with a fake "TRIUMPH" lettering??

4) The additional "herald" roof badges fitted lopsided on the bonnet sides are unnecessary! Or atleast they should've been fitted the right way (they too are mismatched on the wrong sides)

Though these may be overlooked by many as superflous glitches, I feel something especially like cosmetics is best fitted when fitted correctly otherwise it doesnt do justice for such a meticulous restoration.

Last edited by Stanher : 25th June 2013 at 22:41.
Old 26th June 2013, 01:00   #41
BHPian

[quote=Stanher;3159911]A superb job done! However, a few things which I hope are not considered criticisms.

1) Actually the tappet cover looks quite nice in red (IMHO! ) However the air filter is best left black. The numberplates too would've looked better in the "Bangalore style" stencil font that the car earlier had.

2) The "herald" roof badges are both fitted incorrectly, the one fitted on the right side is actually meant for the left side and vice-versa! Considering the car had them fitted correctly before the restoration, it should've sufficiently served to guide the garage guys while fitting back the cosmetics. If possible you could point this out to the owner.

3) In the first set of pics. after the resto, the car is fitted with the correct original "Standard" bonnet badge but later on it's been replaced with a fake "TRIUMPH" lettering??

4) The additional "herald" roof badges fitted lopsided on the bonnet sides are unnecessary! Or atleast they should've been fitted the right way (they too are mismatched on the wrong sides)

the badges were placed properly later. and regarding the triumph lettering on the bonnet, the owner decided to change that at the last minute.
Old 26th June 2013, 10:02   #42
BHPian

A fantastic painstaking effort.Looks much better than showroom condition.

Regards,

pksnathan
Old 26th June 2013, 11:29   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I have to say this is a very neat and detailed restoration with an excellent outcome! Many many congratulations on a very thorough and well executed job. I'm sure the owner will be very pleased with the car (I know I would be ).

Cheers
Old 26th June 2013, 12:03   #44
Senior - BHPian

Wow what a restoration, this one for sure looks good. I personally do not like the WW inserts (as the wheels are of same colour) but is a matter of personal choice. Other wise you have done a very nice and clean work.
Old 26th June 2013, 15:42   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
I personally do not like the WW inserts (as the wheels are of same colour) but is a matter of personal choice. Other wise you have done a very nice and clean work.
The wheels are actually supposed to be in a creamish white colour. But what if even otherwise? (I mean how does that affect the WW?)

I wish the owner had let the 'Standard' bonnet badge be though. There are many people with Heralds these days who've been either taking this badge off the bonnet or replacing it with a fake "Triumph" lettering! Apparently they've been googling pics. of Triumph Heralds on the net a lot!
What they dont realise is that Standard and Triumph were infact sister concerns and merged into the same group in the UK in the late 50s! S-T decided to replace the Standard name with Triumph when they launched the herald in 1959 (as they thought a new brand name on their new car would 'Herald' a new change!) but the Standard name continued on cars in India.

I also love the idea of painting the coil springs red- Ive been always wanting to do that to the ones on my car! I even recently got some work done on the front suspension and thought I'd get the springs done up in red before fitting them back on....unfortunately the mech's already fitted them back!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks