Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2015, 15:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Fintail - MMU was a 1976 to 1982 MUMBAI WEST (Andheri RTO) number. At the same time, MMY was a MUMBAI EAST (Ghatkopar RTO) number and MMF was a MUMBAI CENTRAL (Tardeo RTO) number. I had my group-A rally car MMY43 which was a November 1977 model. I also had MMF1845 and MMF3433, which were 1977 and 1978 models respectively. Incidentally, we bought MMF1845 which was the very first arctic white colored Premier Padmini Deluxe car with floor shift gears, bucket seats and seat belts sold in Mumbai. It was delivered to my father by PAL dealer Maha Auto Kalina on Guru Nanak Jayanti day, 25 November 1977. We paid 38000 rupees for it on road. The standard car cost 32000 rupees then.
Thanks Sir!

Checked- and indeed; it turns out Bandra / Pali Hill comes under the MH 02 RTO.

Just referred to our 1972 FIAT 1100D's RC. Indeed; the RTO is mentioned as 'Bombay West'; circa 1981.

Interestingly; MMF 1845 - Did this car replace your father's older 1959/60 FIAT 1100 103D 'Select' - BMC 9291; which was sold in 1977?

Any particular reason for selling BMC 9291?

You own another Select now- BMC 8903; which is lovely.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 14th May 2015 at 15:46.
Old 14th May 2015, 15:57   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Now here is a really interesting page - it shows a service provider making 3D models - of all cars, they even have a Standard Gazel! What a coincidence that its in the same colour as mine.

http://humster3d.com/2014/02/28/standard-gazel-1971/

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-01.jpg

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-03.jpg

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-05.jpg

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-06.jpg

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-08.jpg

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-11.jpg

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-12.jpg

The end result is really impressive - look at the level of detail! Obviously all they would have used would be some pictures as reference. And looking at the spot lamp in the centre and wrong side indicator, I can assume that they used this car as reference, posted earlier on TBHP. Even the vertical wiper and crooked boot lid handle was copied!

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-gazelmk214.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 14th May 2015 at 15:59.
karlosdeville is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 16:11   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Now here is a really interesting page - it shows a service provider making 3D models - of all cars, they even have a Standard Gazel! What a coincidence that its in the same colour as mine.

http://humster3d.com/2014/02/28/standard-gazel-1971/
Whoa- I'd posted the link of the Gazel 3D Model first!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post3674085

P.S : Do any Gazel's survive in Poona? In all probability; they'll be MTJ registered.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 14th May 2015 at 16:14.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 23:34   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beco View Post
By the way what's the theory behind the underbody diagonal beam? Did you arrive to any conclusions?
That, I understand, is what is known as a "Panhard Rod" tis supposed to prevent lateral movement of the rear axle while the car moves:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhard_rod

http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/...on/panhard.htm
Stanher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 11:25   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

14th May 2015 contd

Arc welding completed on the brackets on the frame which needed attention. The diff was test fitted and the frame is complete.

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-02.jpg

The underbody has been sprayed with a stone chip/gravel guard compound from Wurth. The appearance is much rougher than what we used on the Herald, and on some digging Pankaj tells us that what was used on the Herald was water based, and needs no sanding down once sprayed. What we have used on the Gazel will be sanded down to give a more pleasing appearance, even if it probably won't be seen again once the body is back on the chassis.

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-04.jpg

karlosdeville is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 13:46   #36
BHPian

Quote:
..and on some digging..
Here's how the product specs stack up :

The regular underbody sealant is a product that has remained largely unchanged since the 60's. It's natural rubber in a solvent base.
It can be sprayed or brush painted, and is typically used for historical accuracy. Apparently some people use it to recreate the rough finish or even the brush strokes that would have been present in factory finishes of that era !!

The Aqua underbody sealant is a product of this century. It's synthetic resin (?) in a water base.
Provides the same level of rust protection as the regular. It's primarily targetted for countries where solvent based products are banned or applications where a smoother finish is desired.

The super smooth finish of the Aqua is definitely more aesthetically pleasing, and we should definitely consider it for the interiors / visible areas that need to be coated.

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-wurth.jpg
thebulletboy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th May 2015, 10:58   #37
BHPian

I have used this particular product from Wurth on many cars, both on the undercarriage as well as inside, and can confirm that its correct application delays corrosion for years.

On one car its been over ten years since application and there is absolutely no sign of rust in that area. Additionally, it is good protection against minor chips due to gravel, small stones etc which hit the underbody.

An excellent product, highly recommended, a smart move by bulletboy during restoration.
Bulldogji is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2015, 14:31   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The underbody has been sprayed with a stone chip/gravel guard compound from Wurth. The appearance is much rougher than what we used on the Herald, and on some digging Pankaj tells us that what was used on the Herald was water based, and needs no sanding down once sprayed. What we have used on the Gazel will be sanded down to give a more pleasing appearance, even if it probably won't be seen again once the body is back on the chassis.
If it is to be sanded down and smoothened, then well and good. I suspect that if the finish is left rough, it will give more chance for slush/muck/dirt to stick to the underside over time! Which can aid in corrosion eventually.
Old 17th May 2015, 19:06   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

May 15th 2015

The undercoating was sanded down, though still leaving a coarse final finish. I prefer the underbody and wheel wells to be body coloured, so the colour matching process begins.

There are many Powder Blues This one is too bright

May 15th 2015

This colour looks much better to me, but pictures are very deceptive, the final call will be taken by Pankaj.

karlosdeville is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2015, 19:29   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The undercoating was sanded down, though still leaving a coarse final finish. I prefer the underbody and wheel wells to be body coloured, so the colour matching process begins.
Is that a base coat? Looks a tad darker than Power Blue (even without comparing it to the existing paint on the body)
Old 17th May 2015, 19:36   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The only thing in my opinion that was a success was the fully redesigned (fibre?) dash, with ornate details and an oval cluster for the gauges, and an assortment of piano key switches.
Sorry this happens to a late response, just noticed this! Yes,Gazel dash was made of firbeglass. And yes, definitely a success if you compare it to the exterior design (of which you know the aspect I particularly refer to!)
Old 18th May 2015, 14:20   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I suspect that if the finish is left rough, it will give more chance for slush/muck/dirt to stick to the underside over time! Which can aid in corrosion eventually.
All underseals work on the principle of denying moisture / air access to the metal substrate.
The exterior finish (rough / smooth) has no bearing on the protection that it provides.
Any underseal coating must be cleaned regularly and inspected every few years for breaks / cracks and touched up as required.

Quote:
There are many Powder Blues This one is too bright
This is one of those Epic Fail moments. This was a DIY attempt on my part. Looks quite ridiculous.

Quote:
This colour looks much better to me, but pictures are very deceptive, the final call will be taken by Pankaj.
This was an attempt by the painter. Close, but not quite.

The main purpose of spraying these test shades on the underseal was to test for any untoward reactions with the paint / thinner etc. We tried out a couple of thinners / ratios and zeroed in on a finish that we liked.
Since we have never painted over Wurth underseal before, I thought this would be a safer approach.

The final paint matching was a job best left to the professionals.

The Gazel's paint has faded to varying degrees on different surfaces, owing to uneven sun damage, leaving us with a gamut of shades, as can be seen in this pic.

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-img_0183.jpg

We uncovered the original shade on 3 - 4 panels on the body, verified that we are not dealing with panels that may have been touched up with incorrect shades, and then proceeded for a colour match.

A big thank you to Imran, who is the proprietor at Hindustan Paints, Bangalore, for taking time out from a very busy day to personally service our order.
The final test swab is pretty much a nail on the head. One can barely make out the strokes of the test swab against the background.

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-testswab.jpg
thebulletboy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 16:23   #43
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Karlos on lapping another dilapidated classic and bringing her back to glory. Kudos to your effort. Wow.

@Pankaj: In fact I also wanted to do dela with the soda blasting guy but could not reach them. Secondly I have a sand blaster in Whitefield who do says that he has done blasting for some of the Dr. Ravi Prakash cars, but can be using his name. I indend to get my car sand blasted there. I have been warned by many including my father to not get the sand blasting done because of the age & thickness of metal.

I am in two minds. I think sand blasting over a low pressure and a very fine sand blasted at an angle will do. But do I get burnt or come out clean only time will tell, hopefully by next week.

As for CED it is a very good process but isin't its similar to Powder coating, ok some difference in process. I am intending to do powder coating after sand blasting of chassis components.

But any way you guys have surpassed this step so no need to bother. Best of luck to you on bringing back the beauty to life.
Old 18th May 2015, 22:14   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
This is one of those Epic Fail moments. This was a DIY attempt on my part. Looks quite ridiculous.

This was an attempt by the painter. Close, but not quite.

The Gazel's paint has faded to varying degrees on different surfaces, owing to uneven sun damage, leaving us with a gamut of shades, as can be seen in this pic.

We uncovered the original shade on 3 - 4 panels on the body, verified that we are not dealing with panels that may have been touched up with incorrect shades, and then proceeded for a colour match.
If you still need an appropriate (colour) match, may I suggest the 'Cornflower Blue' on the Tata Nano? It seems to be a close match to the Powder Blue:

http://static.manoramaonline.com/ran...2_nano%204.bmp

http://www.blogcdn.com/es.autoblog.c...3/08/ntulo.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 18th May 2015 at 22:15.
Stanher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 12:55   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are pictures of the engine after dismantling and cleaning up.

The engine block colour seems to be red primer - similar to Fiats of the era.

Its a good thing we opened the engine - look at the marks on the bearing and crank.

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-07.jpg

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-08.jpg

The air cleaner is an AC made in England unit - like Stanher says its probably lifted from an old Herald.

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-09.jpg

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-11.jpg

Here is the illustration of the original one according to the parts catalogue

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-cleaner.jpg

Water pump elbow has completely worn out

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-10.jpg

Clutch parts are marked API

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-12.jpg

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-13.jpg

Tappet cover was originally finished in black

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-14.jpg

New rubber parts/mountings are coming in