Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2016, 08:52   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
For example, does one replace old cheap fasteners with new cheap fasteners, or does one use proper steel bolts (as should have been done at the factory)
When it comes to bolts, I would use new STAINLESS STEEL bolts wherever applicable/accessible if I'm doing a body-off resto! Desi bolts of any kind are not known to last long enough so better replace them when you can access the car's 'private parts'!
Stanher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 19:10   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
When it comes to bolts, I would use new STAINLESS STEEL bolts wherever applicable/accessible if I'm doing a body-off resto! Desi bolts of any kind are not known to last long enough so better replace them when you can access the car's 'private parts'!
Please make sure they meet the strength requirements also! Stainless steel refers to steel with chromium (>10%) as an alloying agent, however several types of stainless steel result from presence of other alloying agents. Select right grade based on the requirement (degree of corrosion resistance needed, degree of non magnetism, application (shear loads / tensile loads, temperature) and so on. Depending on microstructure we have austenitic stainless steel, martensitic stainless steel etc. Each one has a different property.
autocrat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 15:44   #123
Senior - BHPian

Pankaj & Karlos,

We are waiting for more updates. With the kind of the work that has gone in to her. She would be coming out awesome.
Old 4th April 2017, 16:56   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Not too much to update, we went slow for a bit, but now back on track. The mock fitting is almost completed, along with minor finishing. Will proceed to paint in a couple of weeks I guess.

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-img_7319.jpg

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-img_7320.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 20:42   #125
Senior - BHPian

Wow great, she looks complete. Leaving the car aside for a while is actually a good as it may show up imperfections if any. What color are you deciding to paint her?
Old 5th April 2017, 10:04   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Wow great, she looks complete. Leaving the car aside for a while is actually a good as it may show up imperfections if any. What color are you deciding to paint her?
Having gone through the previous posts of his in this thread, Karl was planning to retain the same/original powder blue colour! Unless he's changed his mind now!
One thing is for sure- no jazzed up or loud colours from him!
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 10:24   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Yup, she will remain powder blue - since the car was in original paint we got a few good reference points to correctly match the colour.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 20:13   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Yup, she will remain powder blue - since the car was in original paint we got a few good reference points to correctly match the colour.
Hello Karl,

Whats the status on this one? I hope shes up and about now
Old 13th June 2017, 18:00   #129
Senior - BHPian

I like the way that you guys are running the car before the final finish, this way you will know of any issues and can sort that out. Waiting for more updates now .
Old 25th August 2017, 14:36   #130
BHPian

Hi Karl - any update on the restoration ?
Old 26th August 2017, 23:07   #131
BHPian

When the read the first post in this thread something caught my eye. I was crossing my fingers the thread was still active.

karlosdeville: Apologies if the question was already answered but the thread has 130 pages and I was unable to read all the posts. You mentioned that the original owner was a professor in Bangalore? Was he a professor in India Institute of Sciences?
Old 28th August 2017, 12:10   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

No major updates I'm afraid. But we will get cracking soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused.geek View Post
karlosdeville: Apologies if the question was already answered but the thread has 130 pages and I was unable to read all the posts. You mentioned that the original owner was a professor in Bangalore? Was he a professor in India Institute of Sciences?
I'm not sure where specifically he was attached, but his name is Murthy, and unfortunately I haven't yet had the pleasure of meeting him.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 20:07   #133
BHPian

Hello Karlosdeville:

My uncle worked for IISc and he owned a Standard Gazel in the same color and I was reasonably certain this wasn't his car because he sold his 20 years ago and your post mentioned it was single owner from the start. There was a 1% change this could have been his car and hence the question. He passed away in January 2016 and if this was his car, it would have been a nice surprise for my cousins. (I couldn't remember the registration number and I didn't want to ask my cousins out of the blue and give away a surprise)

There is a chance this car is from IISc. There were a bunch of Standard Gazel's there and I do remember a Prof. Murthy who owned one. That is the part.

How is the project coming along? The first car where I saw a tip over front seat was in a Standard and in 1994 it was the most curious thing I had ever seen.
Old 28th August 2017, 20:26   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry about the

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused.geek View Post
Apologies if the question was already answered but the thread has 130 pages and I was unable to read all the posts.
Er- 130 pages or posts? We're still only on the 9th page as far as I can see!

1974 Standard Gazel - Restoration-thread.jpg

Are there any pages I'm yet to be able to view (especially if with more pics. in them! )

Now I'm confused - though not sure if a geek as well!

Last edited by Stanher : 28th August 2017 at 20:27.
Old 28th August 2017, 22:10   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Er- 130 pages or posts? We're still only on the 9th page as far as I can see!
Stanher: I was rather hoping no one noticed that faux pas on my part. I was on two different threads on two different tabs and got my page count mixed up. The other thread was about vintage Mercs in India I think.

This too is - but as I recall from threads on Standard cars, you are our resident Standard Expert. Guessing your ID Stanher stands for Standard Herald? Your Pennant is my favorite out of the three in your garage. You are a fellow Hyderabad too! Some day when time permits, I'd like to come over and with your permission take pictures of your cars. I am a shuttterbug.

Last edited by ampere : 28th August 2017 at 22:26. Reason: Fixed quoted post
confused.geek is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks