Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2008, 15:23   #16
evo
BHPian

whoa! Dont know anything about restoring a taxi. But totally commend the effort! All the best!
Old 17th October 2008, 17:29   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Slightly off topic but I thought the word "bawa" was derogatory and used in a derogatory sense as well. Or has the word assumed the status of other similar words like Bong and Gujju or Maru where it is right now more of an endearment than insult if said in the right spirit ? When words like Bong were initially coined we used to get offended but now we are all okay with it (though I can't quite imagine myself referring to my father as Bong ).
By the way, it is just my academic curiosity. I don't mean to insult anyone. And hope no one is insulted unnecessarily.
On topic - I can identify with the sentiment quite strongly. A forty plus years old association with a vehicle makes it more than a family member. I think you should keep the number plate as a memento if the number cannot be retained. What sort of meter does it have?
Kolkata recently did away with the old meters in taxis and implemented new electronic meters (as if they can't be tampered with) and I really wanted to keep an old meter in the house as a memento. But somehow it has still not happened. I think that old meter used to be one of the most easily identifiable symbols of an Indian metropolitan city. Sadly they have mostly vanished now.
Bawa actually means father. I definitely would not mind some one calling me a bawa.

In the days gone by, Parsis were amongst the most respected people, and were respectfully called Bawajis (fatherly figures) or Maijis (motherly figures). Think about it... when someone teases you by calling you a bawa, he is actually respecting you
Old 17th October 2008, 19:23   #18
Team-BHP Support

Can we see a picture of the car in its current state?
Old 17th October 2008, 20:12   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Further comments from Harit,

Quote:
I am again comming back to Bawa's Taxi problem.
As I understood, he want to get the car on the road legally, retaining as much of the taxi in original as possible.
First problem, the registration. You can go to the taxi union or any authority and they cannot do anything other than explain the legal provisions. You have to re-register your cab. So you will get a new computer number, MH 01 XX XXXX. Now what you can try to do is to get the old number noted in the Registration Paper. In the old days when we had RC books, they always used to mention the old number in the book, particularly when a vehicle was brought from out of state.
The next problem is the paint. I do not think that you will be allowed to keep the black + yellow combination. Here again, I suggest that you go to RTO personally, do not be afraid and go yourself. (Karl, you can give him my number, I will put him in touch with someone having RTO connections). Tell them what you want to do and ask for advise. You may not keep the roof colour taxi yellow, perhaps pale yellow or so. Just ask them.
I presume that the car is in working order. I suggest that you do not start any restoration till you are clear about the paperwork. Even if they are helpful and things work out, you may still have to present the car to RTO before the November deadline. So do not open up the car now.

Harit
Old 17th October 2008, 20:38   #20
BHPian

I am not sure if I would want to keep it in black and yellow. Will have to speak to my dad about this.

Personally, I would like to retain the MRR number, but restore it to a normal Fiat. Maybe dad would think otherwise.

Sorry about not posting the pics. I am mostly at work and haven't got a chance. Will try to click them over the weekend.

Quick question for Karl - Why is Harit posting to you instead of the thread itself? I can see that he is very knowledgable and I respect him for it. Please convey my regards to him.

Last edited by abdriver2000 : 17th October 2008 at 20:39. Reason: Typo
Old 17th October 2008, 22:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
Bawa actually means father. I definitely would not mind some one calling me a bawa.

In the days gone by, Parsis were amongst the most respected people, and were respectfully called Bawajis (fatherly figures) or Maijis (motherly figures). Think about it... when someone teases you by calling you a bawa, he is actually respecting you
Thanks ABD for the clarification. This is a new thing I learnt about the word today. Incidentally Parsis I think are still very highly respected as a community and not just in the days gone by. At least in Calcutta (where I am from) they most definitely are highly respected.

Please keep us posted about the restoration project and preferably with pics.
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:06   #22
BHPian

A friend of mine has taken pics of the car. As soon as we manage to install his cam on my laptop, I will upload them here.
Old 24th October 2008, 00:22   #23
BHPian

Can anyone please tell me how to upload pics?
Old 24th October 2008, 01:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone please tell me how to upload pics?
here you go:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html
Old 24th October 2008, 12:04   #25
BHPian

Here are the pics taken on a bright Mumbai noon!
Restoring a taxi - Advice needed-taxi1.jpg

Restoring a taxi - Advice needed-taxi2.jpg

Restoring a taxi - Advice needed-taxi5.jpg

Restoring a taxi - Advice needed-taxi6.jpg
Old 24th October 2008, 13:26   #26
BANNED

Wow.

Neat car dude. apart from the front grille, the car is not much butchered with.

This is a simple case of cost effective and a running restoration.

Get rid of the yellow registration and convert it to white, no matter you lose the number, atleast you retain the car.
Old 24th October 2008, 14:12   #27
BHPian

The number is very much its identity and I dont want to lose it.

Can someone please provide rough estimates (time and money) for the following:
1. Paint Job. Also provide a color scheme if possible.
2. New Seats
3. Parts that may need changing during the paint job, like rubber beedings etc.
4. Cosmetic stuff like mats, wheelcaps, grill, etc
5. White walled tyres
6. Electricals and meters repairing
7. Any other items you may think of

I will be disposing off the seat covers, steering wheel cover and the salvaged Ford Ikon music system during the restoration. Would like to retain period look as much as possible.

Looks like the project will take some more time than I had accounted for. It will be more like a New Year gift than a Birthday gift.

First item on my agenda is to try and retain the number though.
Old 24th October 2008, 14:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

ab, can say a good paint job and nice set of tyres, do retain the chrome on wheel cap...color combos like red and white...yellow -off white will make this car look nice.
Old 24th October 2008, 16:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
ab, can say a good paint job and nice set of tyres, do retain the chrome on wheel cap...color combos like red and white...yellow -off white will make this car look nice.
There is only one wheel cap on the car. Do you think I can get a full set from somewhere?
Old 24th October 2008, 19:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The number is very much its identity and I dont want to lose it.

Can someone please provide rough estimates (time and money) for the following:
1. Paint Job. Also provide a color scheme if possible.
2. New Seats
3. Parts that may need changing during the paint job, like rubber beedings etc.
4. Cosmetic stuff like mats, wheelcaps, grill, etc
5. White walled tyres
6. Electricals and meters repairing
7. Any other items you may think of

I will be disposing off the seat covers, steering wheel cover and the salvaged Ford Ikon music system during the restoration. Would like to retain period look as much as possible.

Looks like the project will take some more time than I had accounted for. It will be more like a New Year gift than a Birthday gift.

First item on my agenda is to try and retain the number though.
Thats a lovely car and i presume the gentleman behind the wheel is your father. I like the Carrier on top , you hardly get to see it nowadays. I saw a Light grey fiat recently with it. There seems to be rust on the car or am i seeing things and like mentioned the grill has to go.
I would reserve my comments on the other aspects as the Fiat Guru's would be able to guide you better. Wheel caps should be available at opera house or at chor bazaar.
I have spoken to someone regarding retaining the Number plate and he would let me know if something can be done. I suggest you hold the Project till you get a clear picture for retaining the plates, but if you are ok with restoreing the car and changeing the plates if nothing falls through then go ahead.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks