Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2008, 00:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

Dear ab,
Your car is obivously a "Delight". In your scheme of restoration, do try to procure as many original cosmetic / trim items as possible, to retain the 'period' look. For starters, you will need a full set of original delight side trims in steel. then a new grille with the vertical FIAT logo. Then come the circular side indicators, and if possible (Behram Sir to the rescue !!) original WHITE front indicator lenses.
Also try to get Quarter glasses, they look very cool, and therefore new front windows.
Delight bumpers would also look lovely, though they may be a bit hard to get. (they have thin chrome guards, as against the short rubber covered ones that Padminis have).
The next step would be original meters and dash bits such as toggle switches etc. (i'm assuming you'll need them- most taxies have Padmini speedos). Also a thin steering wheel, which you don't seem to have.
You will be able to source most of these, and other cosmetic bits from chor bazaar. Myself or any of the fiat guys on this forum can guide you to the right sources.
As far as the engine and mechanicals are concerned, Behram sir is the man to talk to. He's the concise and complete encyclopedia, world book, and google rolled into one !
As for the paint scheme, if for any reason you're not permitted to keep the black and tellow, then I feel you should go in for a similar two tone scheme, to keep the look a bit. My personal favourite is a Navy blue with an Ivory roof, and Ivory wheels with Whitewalls. - Oh she'll be a complete heartstopper !
You have an awesome car there ab, wish you all the best .
Old 25th October 2008, 00:33   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
For starters, you will need a full set of original delight side trims in steel. then a new grille with the vertical FIAT logo. Then come the circular side indicators, and if possible (Behram Sir to the rescue !!) original WHITE front indicator lenses.

Delight bumpers would also look lovely, though they may be a bit hard to get. (they have thin chrome guards, as against the short rubber covered ones that Padminis have).
The next step would be original meters and dash bits such as toggle switches etc. (i'm assuming you'll need them- most taxies have Padmini speedos). Also a thin steering wheel, which you don't seem to have.
I happen to have all these bits, the bumpers and meters especially would be going to someone closer to you guys, so all the more convenient?!

White lenses are still easy enough to get though, atleast over here.
Old 25th October 2008, 00:44   #33
Senior - BHPian

Shyam you lucky devil. You've hoarded all the right bits !
Old 25th October 2008, 20:11   #34
BHPian

Thanks for all the info, guys! The gentleman behind the wheel is not my dad, but the family friend who takes care of it at the moment.

I will start the restoration only after the RTO formalities are over, which could be another few days.

I am still awaiting some estimates as far as time and money are concerned. I am short of both at the moment, but will try to complete this project to the best of my abilities.

I have added these pics to my TBHP Garage. I would be greatful if someone can give me the specs to fill in. Does anyone have a copy of the user manual?

Thank you all once again and a Happy Diwali to you and your folks. I am off to a 400km trip in my XETA to Udwada, Gujarat and will respond by Monday.

Last edited by abdriver2000 : 25th October 2008 at 20:23. Reason: Added pics to TBHP Garage
Old 7th November 2008, 10:39   #35
BHPian

Sorry about not updating this thread for so long. I met with a 'minor' accident on Nov. 1 at LBS Marg when my bike skidded over a pool of used engine oil dropped by a stupid mechanic earlier. He was riding pillion and holding the can from the lid. The container dropped off and got squished under a Innova. I almost became history!

It was only with the grace of God, that both me and my bike managed to emerge scratchless from the incident and I was riding within seconds.

Back to the topic... We were going through the documents and here is what we found. The original number is MRZ series and not MRR. MRR was granted in 1968, when the car was converted into a taxi. My dad's friend will visit the RTO soon and ask for the number to be reverted to MRZ. He is an old timer, and is pretty confident he can get that done!

About the car, it has new tyres in the front. The CNG kit will stay in this one till we find a replacement car. The body shell is from a 1998(?) car. The engine has been swapped from an army car. The old brake assembly does not have spares available and hence is changed to the new style assembly. All this has been told to me by the friend who drives it at the moment. I am not in a position to verify the facts.

He will be visiting the RTO soon to get the replacement order and also get the old number retained. We should be on our way to restoration earlier than expected... maybe even next week!!!
Old 7th November 2008, 23:34   #36
BHPian

IIRC, Rehaan or one of the mods had posted a Fiat Manual in the forum. Can someone help me with a link?

Also, I was browsing through the garage of TBHP member 'President' and really liked the steel grey color on his 1964 Fiat LHD.

Last edited by abdriver2000 : 7th November 2008 at 23:38.
Old 14th November 2008, 19:32   #37
BHPian

There was committeechi baithak (committee meeting) at the RTO about the implementation of the new rules today. The last day to get replacement orders from the RTO is 3 Dec, and they are still dilly-dallying on the matter.

There should be some clarity on the subject by Monday, I hope.
Old 14th November 2008, 20:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
There was committeechi baithak (committee meeting) at the RTO about the implementation of the new rules today. The last day to get replacement orders from the RTO is 3 Dec, and they are still dilly-dallying on the matter.

There should be some clarity on the subject by Monday, I hope.
Good luck ab. Please keep us posted.
Old 14th November 2008, 21:31   #39
Senior - BHPian

Wish you the best. Hope everything falls in your favour.
Old 15th November 2008, 08:48   #40
Senior - BHPian

wish you good luck. keep updating us.
Old 20th November 2008, 12:14   #41
BHPian

I just spoke to my dad's friend who had gone to the RTO to make inquiries. He was told the following:

1. It is possible to revert the number plates to the original MRZ series. People have done that in the past.
2. Since the process is not clearly laid out, it would help tremendously if I have 'contacts' or if I am able to apply 'pressure from top'

While point 1 gives me hope, point 2 is the worrying factor since I do not have any such 'contacts'. I am not even a member of any car clubs or associations. Taxi unions do not help in such matters.

Any help from anyone in this regard is welcome.
Old 20th November 2008, 12:22   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just spoke to my dad's friend who had gone to the RTO to make inquiries. He was told the following:

1. It is possible to revert the number plates to the original MRZ series. People have done that in the past.
2. Since the process is not clearly laid out, it would help tremendously if I have 'contacts' or if I am able to apply 'pressure from top'

While point 1 gives me hope, point 2 is the worrying factor since I do not have any such 'contacts'. I am not even a member of any car clubs or associations. Taxi unions do not help in such matters.

Is Digu or ED or anyone from HVOCT can help this guy in this matter?
Old 20th November 2008, 12:29   #43
BHPian

hi abdriver!! great to hear that you want to restore that beauty!!

For a basic paint job of the standard fiat ivory colour , it should cost you about 8k and a weeks time.

Will try to get an estimate for other jobs and post asap.
Old 20th November 2008, 12:42   #44
BHPian

Forgot to mention... We need to move fast here, since the deadline for getting replacement orders issued is Dec 3.
Old 20th November 2008, 12:45   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Ok AB do not worry. Go to the WIAA office and become a member. The rest i shall speak to someone there and see how things can be managed. I shall PM you the persons name as to who you should meet and he shall try and organise it for you.
I wish to see your car on the roads and not scrapped due to others folly's.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks