Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2011, 12:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Looking for my dream VW Microbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Hi Santaji,

Nilesh has already made his purchase

But due to his work commitments abroad, looks like we guys will see the updates only after a year.

I have the pics of the Bus with me, but i certainly dont have his permission to post it here, so i guess, i will do it after reaching him sometime soon
is it a Baywindow ?
by the way we have not been seeing any posts from you over the last several months,Were you not in town???
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 19:06   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
is it a Baywindow ?
by the way we have not been seeing any posts from you over the last several months,Were you not in town???
Was in town, ajay and was BANNED for a reason. Untill i received GTO's Christmas present

Anyways, i am here for good.

Its indeed a Baywindow.

Let me take the liberty of posting One Teaser pic of Nilesh's Bus
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for my dream VW Microbus-img_1697.jpg  

Old 28th December 2011, 00:54   #18
BHPian

It's a Brazilian bay-window! The only one in India I think? Looks like it could be a late 70's or even early 80's model?
I believe these where mechanically more like an older split screen Bus then a normal bay-window. Basically a split but with bay tail lights and and front end.
Old 28th December 2011, 09:50   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomUsername View Post
It's a Brazilian bay-window! The only one in India I think? Looks like it could be a late 70's or even early 80's model?
I believe these where mechanically more like an older split screen Bus then a normal bay-window. Basically a split but with bay tail lights and and front end.
BANG ON.! dude

Yes, Mechanically the Split Buses were limited to certain practicality. These buses were never a long distance runner due to their impractical cooling method.

And this is not the ONLY such in India, there are 4 or 5 more which i have seen, 3 such exists in Goa, one in Dharwad.
Old 29th December 2011, 12:55   #20
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Latest update is that I'm still waiting :(

I was in Goa for three days, liked the vehicle but could not see the papers as they were lodged with RTO. Spoke to the agent and he said he would get the vehicle de-registered in couple of days and send me papers.

I called Pavan and he advised me that de-registering the vehicle means it is scrapped and I cannot re-register in Mumbai. Thanking Pavan for a timely intervention I asked the agent to pursue NOC.

Its 2 weeks since then, I'm back in Mumbai and the agent keeps saying that he will get papers and NOC next day but I have seen nothing yet. Yesterday he told me that since the vehicle is stationary (not working) RTO cannot issue NOC. I told him (based on Pavan's advice) that there is a provision to issue NOC with a condition that I'll get the vehicle roadworthy in Mumbai and RTO here can certify it.

The agent said he would check and get back. I called him again today and he says there is no provision and he will get back to me with options. I feel that the agent is hiding something.

I'm flying back to UK a week from now and cannot travel to Goa. Bit disappointed as I was expecting the bus to be with me by now.

Pavan, can you call me when you get a chance mate? Lost my mobile and your number with it. Just managed to get a new sim and my number transferred to it.

Hope it all works out!!

Thank you all!

Cheers,
Nilesh
Old 29th December 2011, 13:05   #21
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I'm still waiting for the bus, some RTO issues.

The seller had left papers with Goa RTO to basically scrap the vehicle. Its a long story but in short a very timely intervention by Pavan saved me a lot of hassles. On Pavan's advice I asked the agent to get me a NOC with a condition that I would make the vehicle roadworthy in Mumbai and then get it certified with local RTO.

The agent has kept me waiting for 2 weeks and now says there is no such provision. I know for a fact that Pavan has done it before so I think the agent does not know or is hiding something.

Pavan, lost my mobile and your number with it. Just got my lost sim transferred to a new one. Can you ring me pls
Old 29th December 2011, 13:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshdias View Post
The seller had left papers with Goa RTO to basically scrap the vehicle. Its a long story but in short a very timely intervention by Pavan saved me a lot of hassles. On Pavan's advice I asked the agent to get me a NOC with a condition that I would make the vehicle roadworthy in Mumbai and then get it certified with local RTO.
Dear Nilesh the agent is correct i had a similar problem once, i would advise you to catch hold of a mechanic in Goa, get the bus running take a brush and paint over all the rust areas, make the vehicle presentable. If you do this the RTO will give you the NOC immediately. Once you have the NOC proceed with systematic restoration. This has happened to me once in Karnataka
Old 29th December 2011, 19:17   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Dear Nilesh the agent is correct i had a similar problem once, i would advise you to catch hold of a mechanic in Goa, get the bus running take a brush and paint over all the rust areas, make the vehicle presentable. If you do this the RTO will give you the NOC immediately. Once you have the NOC proceed with systematic restoration. This has happened to me once in Karnataka
Sir the trouble is not that, There is something more to it.

But there is an amendment across all RTO's, wherein you can get NOC for the vehicle which does not have valid Fitness and updation, and the same endorsed on the Book. Later the buyer can restore his vehicle, produce it to his RTO and validate the papers..

Hopefully things should get sorted out by end of tomorrow.
Old 29th December 2011, 19:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM

Sir the trouble is not that, There is something more to it.

But there is an amendment across all RTO's, wherein you can get NOC for the vehicle which does not have valid Fitness and updation, and the same endorsed on the Book. Later the buyer can restore his vehicle, produce it to his RTO and validate the papers..

Hopefully things should get sorted out by end of tomorrow.
Oh i was not aware of that makes it easier then...thanks for informing me rgds
Old 29th January 2012, 21:00   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Oh i was not aware of that makes it easier then...thanks for informing me rgds
Things are looking up for Nilesh right now.

He found a way with getting the documents updated with the help of a local Goan Agent

Congratulations Nilesh. ( He's sitting in the U.K right now )

Car is waiting to be moved out right now, will update you guys in a few days

Some more pic of the Bus for you guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for my dream VW Microbus-img_1696.jpg  

Looking for my dream VW Microbus-img_1699.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 29th January 2012 at 21:01.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 18:23   #26
BHPian

Good news,im glad you managed to sort the shipping out,i have several pics of this bus when i first saw it at the garage with Nitin and it did look solid.but i couldnt find the vin plate anywhere. Is it a Brazian bus or South African.
there are quite a lot of them in the UK with the bay window front and a 15 window body.keep us updated please Nilesh
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for my dream VW Microbus-nige-3.jpg  

vw splitscreen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 02:24   #27
BHPian

Guys,

Finally some good news. The bus is now in Pavan's safe hands!! It reached Pavan's place around mid-day. There were few hassles and it took much longer than expected but it is here now!

Pavan thinks it should not be too bad to restore so fingers crossed now

Cheers,
Nilesh
nileshdias is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 17:27   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Guys,

Finally some good news. The bus is now in Pavan's safe hands!! It reached Pavan's place around mid-day. There were few hassles and it took much longer than expected but it is here now!

Cheers,
Nilesh
Yes Nilesh,

The Bus did land in Bangalore Sunday Morning.

Well, my observations

1) 99% of the floor area is INTACT and clean
2) 97% of the Fittings are INTACT and can be re-used
3) Needs full electrical restoration
4) Has lot of tin work on the body shell, (see the pics attached)
5) Mechanically the Bus is Fit n fine, needs a little TLC to make it run, we will do the compression test to verify the health of the engine.
6) Came without the keys and barn door locked
7) Brakes are working, but might have to change the Master cylinder ( Comes with Booster ) so need to check the booster too, which seems to have corroded.

Pics attached, Once the Restoration is underway, you guys will see the progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for my dream VW Microbus-imag_1102.jpg  

Looking for my dream VW Microbus-imag_1103.jpg  

Looking for my dream VW Microbus-imag_1104.jpg  

Looking for my dream VW Microbus-imag_1105.jpg  

Looking for my dream VW Microbus-imag_1106.jpg  

Looking for my dream VW Microbus-imag_1107.jpg  

Looking for my dream VW Microbus-imag_1108.jpg  

Looking for my dream VW Microbus-imag_1109.jpg  

Looking for my dream VW Microbus-imag_1110.jpg  

Looking for my dream VW Microbus-imag_1111.jpg  

Looking for my dream VW Microbus-imag_1112.jpg  

Old 5th March 2012, 17:37   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Finally some good news.

Cheers,
Nilesh
After seeing this bus a few years ago i think it is comparative simple renovation as renovations go Nileshdias,look forward to more pics.
and good luck.
Old 5th March 2012, 21:31   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw splitscreen View Post
After seeing this bus a few years ago i think it is comparative simple renovation as renovations go Nileshdias,look forward to more pics.
and good luck.

Thanks for making my job very simple

We will get there once the restoration begins.

My friend Pankaj - Jalopy Shop (T-BHPían - Bullet_Boy) identified this Bus correctly.

Whatever it is, by design its very desirable, but the ONLY FEATURE & TROUBLE this bus inherits from the Split-Windows are the Infamous Air-intake vents for the engine.. Those Horizontal Slats makes the engine run HOT, and by design are terrible

Unlikely, the other Baywindows (READ MINE) has those protruding Ears on the rear panel, which just swallows and directs fresh air to the engine are fantastic by design, and wonder why they were shunned, but that curved rear quarter glasses are to die for, if not for that design fault.

There is some R&D that i am doing right now on a similarly designed 67-SplitBus, to enhance the cooling technique, let me see, how successful i am, only time will tell.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for my dream VW Microbus-2508970.jpg  

Looking for my dream VW Microbus-8325718.jpg  

Looking for my dream VW Microbus-imag_2609.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 5th March 2012 at 21:38.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks