Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2009, 01:38   #1
BHPian

Looking for my dream VW Microbus

Hi Guys,

I was always fascinated by the VW Beetle when I was young. It was my dream to own one, then I moved to UK. Having lived here for a few year the Microbus really hit me. While I still love the bug I think I love the Microbus more! I plan to return to India for good in a few years time and would love to own a Microbus. I can find one easily in UK but it will be extremely difficult to bring it to India courtesy of the customs. I saw a few buses here and was surprised so many of them exist in India and so many of the owners are on X-Bhp. Can you guys help me find one?

Thanks,
Nilesh
Old 5th September 2009, 15:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

I know of one going for sale !
Old 5th September 2009, 21:35   #3
BHPian

Nilesh ,I know of two for sale in Goa.

Last edited by vw splitscreen : 5th September 2009 at 21:37.
Old 5th September 2009, 21:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw splitscreen View Post
Nilesh ,I know of two for sale in Goa.
Hi Dave can you PM me details of the bus as well. Thanks Looking for a classic van for the collection.
Old 6th September 2009, 22:47   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshdias View Post
Hi Guys,

I was always fascinated by the VW Beetle when I was young. It was my dream to own one, then I moved to UK. Having lived here for a few year the Microbus really hit me. While I still love the bug I think I love the Microbus more! I plan to return to India for good in a few years time and would love to own a Microbus. I can find one easily in UK but it will be extremely difficult to bring it to India courtesy of the customs. I saw a few buses here and was surprised so many of them exist in India and so many of the owners are on X-Bhp. Can you guys help me find one?

Thanks,
Nilesh
Hi Nilesh,

Our thoughts about the VW's are very similar

Best of luck on your search for the VW, Will be glued to this thread.

Keep us updated regularly about your sightings, TD's and aquisition.
Old 7th September 2009, 13:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Hi Dave can you PM me details of the bus as well. Thanks Looking for a classic van for the collection.
Details sent Amol
Old 9th September 2009, 12:35   #7
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Good luck with the microbus search !! Fingers crossed and waiting for updates !!
Old 17th September 2009, 16:11   #8
BHPian

Indrojit / Dave, can you send me contacts pls. I'm based in UK but would be visiting Mumbai / Goa in December 2009. Would be fab if I can buy one then.
Old 17th September 2009, 16:46   #9
BHPian

Nilesh,

There is no cure for the 'bug' bite

By "bug", I am referring to the Type 1s (beetle), the Type 2s (bus) and the Type 181s (thing).

I know exactly how you feel. When I was kid, a neighbor had a Beetle and it was love at first sight. When I landed in US, one of the first things I did was get myself a 1974 Sun Bug (Yellow Beetle Cabriolet). It was fun while it lasted. Now I am back in India and sadly had to sell my Beetle.

It is difficult to get the complete vehicle from UK, but see if you can at least get a new engine (and a tranny if possible). Then find a run-down Bus in India and fix it up to your liking.

Good luck with you hunt and please post some pics of your bus when you get it.

Cheers
Teja
Old 18th September 2009, 14:45   #10
BHPian

Its Nice To Hear Another Bus N Bug Freak, I Too Have Some 3 Bugs And 2 Buses With Me(sorry None For Sale)wish U All The Best For Your Hunt
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for my dream VW Microbus-bus1.jpg  

Looking for my dream VW Microbus-2.jpg  

Looking for my dream VW Microbus-3.jpg  

inderpalgill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2009, 15:09   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Indrojit / Dave, can you send me contacts pls. I'm based in UK but would be visiting Mumbai / Goa in December 2009. Would be fab if I can buy one then.
PM sent Nilesh
Old 12th December 2011, 07:54   #12
BHPian

Re: Looking for my dream VW Microbus

Hey Guys,

After a long wait I finally found my bus in Goa. I'm travelling there tomm from Mumbai to collect it. I'm buying the bus from a guy in the UK i have known for last couple of yrs so am happy with its condition.

Can you guys advise me on things I need to be aware of other than the bus itself.

1. What is the best way of transporting it >750 KMS to Mumbai and where can i find it in Goa (near Aldona, Mapusa)
2. What documents do I need from the vehicle owner?
3. Are there any interstate RTO issues?
4. Anything else?

Appreciate your help and looking forward to a couple of yrs of restoration work.

Cheers,
Nilesh
Old 14th December 2011, 22:55   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,

After a long wait I finally found my bus in Goa. I'm travelling there tomm from Mumbai to collect it. I'm buying the bus from a guy in the UK i have known for last couple of yrs so am happy with its condition.

Can you guys advise me on things I need to be aware of other than the bus itself.

1. What is the best way of transporting it >750 KMS to Mumbai and where can i find it in Goa (near Aldona, Mapusa)
2. What documents do I need from the vehicle owner?
3. Are there any interstate RTO issues?
4. Anything else?

Appreciate your help and looking forward to a couple of yrs of restoration work.

Cheers,
Nilesh
Hello, did you buy the Bus? Please post pictures/updates. Is this a split-screen or a bay-window? If the Bus is in good condition it could easily be driven down to Mumbai. My father recently purchased a VW Bus in Goa and we drove it down to Mumbai just last month.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ia-camper.html
Old 26th December 2011, 19:29   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomUsername View Post
Hello, did you buy the Bus? Please post pictures/updates. Is this a split-screen or a bay-window? If the Bus is in good condition it could easily be driven down to Mumbai. My father recently purchased a VW Bus in Goa and we drove it down to Mumbai just last month.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ia-camper.html
Hi Santaji,

Nilesh has already made his purchase

But due to his work commitments abroad, looks like we guys will see the updates only after a year.

I have the pics of the Bus with me, but i certainly dont have his permission to post it here, so i guess, i will do it after reaching him sometime soon
Old 26th December 2011, 20:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
But due to his work commitments abroad, looks like we guys will see the updates only after a year. I have the pics of the Bus with me, but i certainly dont have his
That is an anticlimax; waiting for an year. Hope for the sake of TBhpians permission would be accorded for immediate posting of pictures.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks