Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2010, 14:27   #91
BHPian

Status Update:

The carburetor which I bought on ebay arrived by post and seems to be in good shape.

Tank is ready. And all body work is ready.

Still waiting for the stainless steel spokes and pistons which were ordered from the UK. Hopefully they arrive by the end of the month.

The wheels and all chrome parts have been sent for chrome stripping and then re-chroming. I hope to get them back in two weeks time.

After that comes back it will be just the alternator rewinding, exhausts and engine rebuild that is pending.

With a bit of luck end of April or mid May I will have my baby on the road.

/sanjay
Old 19th March 2010, 17:09   #92
BHPian

Any photo's yet ?
All the best.

Last edited by girishpv : 19th March 2010 at 17:15.
Old 20th April 2010, 11:55   #93
BHPian

Folks,
The rebuild starts this week. .

Attached are a few pictures of the new pistons, rechromed rims and metal bits,stainless steel spokes and tank badge sourced from the UK, front number plate and finally the rebuilt and repainted fuel tank.

/sanjay
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring a Triumph 5T Speed Twin-dsc00739.jpg  

Restoring a Triumph 5T Speed Twin-dsc00736.jpg  

Restoring a Triumph 5T Speed Twin-dsc00737.jpg  

Restoring a Triumph 5T Speed Twin-dsc00742.jpg  

Restoring a Triumph 5T Speed Twin-dsc00745.jpg  

Restoring a Triumph 5T Speed Twin-dsc00740.jpg  

Restoring a Triumph 5T Speed Twin-tankside.jpg  

Restoring a Triumph 5T Speed Twin-tanktop.jpg  

Last edited by san9jay : 20th April 2010 at 12:09.
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:41   #94
BHPian

More pics of rebuild

• Front cowling with refurbished meter
  • Frame with temporary wheel.
  • Front section
  • Side view
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring a Triumph 5T Speed Twin-dsc00805.jpg  

Restoring a Triumph 5T Speed Twin-dsc00804.jpg  

Restoring a Triumph 5T Speed Twin-dsc00800.jpg  

Restoring a Triumph 5T Speed Twin-dsc00799.jpg  

Old 2nd May 2010, 12:54   #95
BHPian

Good to see the bike taking on a new life. Have you kept the original colour? Did you do any research before going for this blue shade?
Old 2nd May 2010, 13:02   #96
BHPian

The color is not my favorite as well but the friend of mine who is helping me restore this bike assures me it is one of the original colors
Old 2nd May 2010, 13:31   #97
BHPian

Does anyone have an authentic source for the valid colors for that year/model of the bike?
Old 2nd May 2010, 15:25   #98
Senior - BHPian

The existing colour for the bike looks great to me, once the lining on the mudgaurds etc the bike would look cool. I have a book which has got all about triumph and it has many bikes with original colour I will try to post pictures of them the problem is that i have no source of scanner but i can try to take close up with my cam and can post it. I see your hard work is giving results. I wish you all good luck. Are you planning to give the same colour in the middle of the rim with the colour lining on to it. It also gives a very period look apart from the elegance. Wish you all very best of luck.

Thanks
Bala
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:08   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by san9jay View Post
Does anyone have an authentic source for the valid colors for that year/model of the bike?
I was under the impression that early Speed Twins came only in that lovely trademark maroon shade - subject to correction.

On another note the level of workmanship looks fantastic.
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:27   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
The existing colour for the bike looks great to me, once the lining on the mudgaurds etc the bike would look cool. I have a book which has got all about triumph and it has many bikes with original colour I will try to post pictures of them the problem is that i have no source of scanner but i can try to take close up with my cam and can post it. I see your hard work is giving results. I wish you all good luck. Are you planning to give the same colour in the middle of the rim with the colour lining on to it. It also gives a very period look apart from the elegance. Wish you all very best of luck.

Thanks
Bala
Thanks Bala,
Yes. The middle of the rim will likely get the same color treatment.
I am still not convinced on the color. I may switch it to a darker blue which is common on Triumphs.
/sanjay
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:45   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I was under the impression that early Speed Twins came only in that lovely trademark maroon shade - subject to correction.

On another note the level of workmanship looks fantastic.

Thanks Karlos.

The mechanic I am working with is excellent and the friend who is helping me out has done a number of these restoration projects and lives and breathes bikes so I am in really good hands.

We have also been truly lucky in sourcing parts and refurbishing existing parts so this bike is going to be as original as it can be.

The color is a dilemma. The amaranth red is definitely a valid color. The blue came in two shades. The deeper blue (which was close to what the bike had before i started the restoration) and the lighter blue which is close to what I have now. I have to say the lighter blue which is what I have on the bike now hasn't really caught my fancy and we are toying with the idea of adding a darker blue coat

Anybody who has authentic pictures of the 1953 Triumph in blue. Please send me links.

/sanjay
Old 17th June 2010, 17:59   #102
BHPian

Status Update:

The Triumph SpeedTwin and Thunderbird Bible I ordered finally arrived. Unfortunately it states that 1953 Triumph Speedtwins were all in Amaranth Red so the color I have is wrong but I am not changing it now.

Incidentally I found a great site for sourcing original paint colors for classic bikes. The link is here.

I took off on a holiday and unfortunately not much work was done in the last 3 weeks since my mechanic got busy with other work.

He has now re bored the cyclinder and we should get started on the engine rebuild in the next week.

The electrics and exhaust are still pending so my original estimate of getting the bike on the road in May/June seems optimistic now. Hopefully July/August she will be on the road.

/sanjay
Old 21st June 2010, 17:08   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by san9jay View Post
Status Update:

The Triumph SpeedTwin and Thunderbird Bible I ordered finally arrived. Unfortunately it states that 1953 Triumph Speedtwins were all in Amaranth Red so the color I have is wrong but I am not changing it now.

He has now re bored the cyclinder and we should get started on the engine rebuild in the next week.

The electrics and exhaust are still pending so my original estimate of getting the bike on the road in May/June seems optimistic now. Hopefully July/August she will be on the road.
Was the block and head in good shape to begin with? I am facing many problems with mine, as it has been worked on so often. A common problem in Tigers is the eight inserts in the block, wonder if they also are an issue in the Speed Twin. I think the only major difference in the 2 bikes is the Tiger has an alloy block and head.

Are you using the same timing wheels or have you sourced a new set? Makes a world of difference in making the bike silent.
Old 28th June 2010, 10:49   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Was the block and head in good shape to begin with? I am facing many problems with mine, as it has been worked on so often. A common problem in Tigers is the eight inserts in the block, wonder if they also are an issue in the Speed Twin. I think the only major difference in the 2 bikes is the Tiger has an alloy block and head.

Are you using the same timing wheels or have you sourced a new set? Makes a world of difference in making the bike silent.
Block was re-bored one size and new pistons sourced.

Head will be worked on and new valves installed.

Will let you know about the inserts in the block. So far the mechanic has not raised any issues but we haven't started assembly of the engine yet.

Current plan is use the same timing wheels.

/sanjay
Old 21st August 2010, 13:35   #105
BHPian

very slow progress...

a few new pics

The rebuilt bottom end , rear wheel and front wheel with the tyres mounted.

A bit of a hitch since one of the mounting plates for the rear wheel is cracked so we need to mill a new one on a lathe.

/sanjay
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring a Triumph 5T Speed Twin-p1000304.jpg  

Restoring a Triumph 5T Speed Twin-p1000305.jpg  

Restoring a Triumph 5T Speed Twin-p1000306.jpg  

Restoring a Triumph 5T Speed Twin-p1000307.jpg  

Restoring a Triumph 5T Speed Twin-p1000309.jpg  

Most Viewed