Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2009, 00:07   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Welcome to scootering, Gentlemen! Surprised that you're not aware of the recent resurgence of the scootering hobby...there are so many answers a classic scooter fan can give to the question "Why a Vijai Super?", I don't know where to start!
Maybe your dad/grand dad/uncle/elderly neighbour had a Lambretta, Vijai, or Vespa. Back in the day, these scooters were held in high esteem. So many older guys have struck up conversations with me, just because they see me astride a 1970 Lambretta. The fondness and conviction with which they talk about the days when they rode these scooters on our now-ruined roads would touch anyone's heart! You have to understand that back in the day, getting a brand new Lambretta was a kind of status symbol. I guess that Lambrettas and Vespas being of Italian origin, it also added that attraction of being a prime piece of Italian auto engineering. These are the reasons that our dads and grand dads would have for owning and liking these scooters. Some other reasons why classic scooters are becoming popular again:
Great fun to ride
Simple mechanicals and sturdy construction
Nostalgia for the simpler days
Restoring them is quite affordable, a great first project for a classic automobile enthusiast. You can't go badly wrong when restoring a scooter, and you'll learn a lot.
Plenty of other reasons, I'm sure other scooter enthusiasts here can add on....

Hey Sidman, This does not seem to be the reason for Mitch getting a super.

I would understand a Lambretta/Vespa but a super has a typical "Shivajinagar" fan following.. I'm sure the B'lore boys will know what I mean, more like jazzy done up scooter than a vintage.. that possibly explains the tuning capabalities that Mitch talks about.

Mitch- great to know we have active international members, can you give us a better picture of the business you talk about there? maybe more pictures of these done up scooters
Old 25th November 2009, 00:14   #17
BHPian

The panel holes are designed for an open mouth carb arrangement. Normally we put much larger carbs on and cut a large hole in the panel so the bell mouth can stick through. The holes give me the option of a remote filter, however, I intend to keep the original filter but put a 26mm carb on this. Anything bigger than a 26mm and the standard filter arrangement is too restrictive. You can see the remote filter on the picture of the SII Li 150 I put in your post Stanher.

Anyway, on with the prep and painting...
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring a Lambretta (Vijay super) in the UK-p9050038.jpg  

Restoring a Lambretta (Vijay super) in the UK-p9050027.jpg  

Restoring a Lambretta (Vijay super) in the UK-p9050028.jpg  

Old 25th November 2009, 00:20   #18
BANNED

Mitch

Buddy way to go

I can see couple of more Vijai super's and some Indian liscence plated lamby's

What are you into man. Do keep us posted on the updates.
Old 25th November 2009, 02:13   #19
BHPian

Samuraijack, I will post the finished pics at the end.

I reckon if you go to a scooter meet in Yorkshire you will see 50% of them are ex-Vijays!

Anyway, a few more pics of the painting.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring a Lambretta (Vijay super) in the UK-p9180065.jpg  

Restoring a Lambretta (Vijay super) in the UK-p9180066.jpg  

Restoring a Lambretta (Vijay super) in the UK-p9210080.jpg  

Old 25th November 2009, 02:24   #20
BHPian

By now you should be noticing this is not going to be as original spec.
You will have to forgive me.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring a Lambretta (Vijay super) in the UK-p9210072.jpg  

Restoring a Lambretta (Vijay super) in the UK-p9210073.jpg  

Restoring a Lambretta (Vijay super) in the UK-p9210074.jpg  

Restoring a Lambretta (Vijay super) in the UK-p9210075.jpg  

Old 25th November 2009, 10:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
By now you should be noticing this is not going to be as original spec.
You will have to forgive me.
Mitch,

Nice thread you have started, I really wanted to know what was being done to all the Indian made scooters exported. Well I would say many go in right hands rather than our Scrappers. Keep up the spirit and happy scootring.
Old 25th November 2009, 14:55   #22
BHPian

A few more of the tinwork and internals etc.

You will notice too, that there are holes drilled in the airbox. These are to help with ventilation to the air filter. In the UK we fit dual seats, some are pretty slim and can restrict the airscoop, so any extra means of ventilation helps.
The fork top joints have been welded up to create a smoother finish.
I also had a loop welded on to the bottom of the bend on the frame (behind the front mudguard). This is so I can fix a chain and padlock.
The front wheel drum has been replaced with a hydraulic disc brake version.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring a Lambretta (Vijay super) in the UK-21092007018.jpg  

Restoring a Lambretta (Vijay super) in the UK-p9210077.jpg  

Restoring a Lambretta (Vijay super) in the UK-p9210078.jpg  

Old 25th November 2009, 19:30   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Mitch happy restoration! Hope we will get regular updates from you. Actually the Vijai Super was the sole heir of the erstwhile Lambretta, which was bought lock, stock and barrel from Italy into India by Messrs Scooters India Ltd. Since you are in Europe you may know better, but I feel there's nothing left of Lambretta in the scooter segment in Italy. Does Innocenti still make four wheelers?
Old 25th November 2009, 20:31   #24
BHPian

Innoccenti was purchased in 1975 by the De Tomaso group and had a go at making badged British Leyland cars until 1980 when Fiat purchased it. It was shut down in the early 1990s.

The funny thing about SIL buying the Lambretta range is that all the drawings were in Italian. That's probably why it took them three years to produce a single scooter!
Up until that point API had been doing a good job assembling Innoccenti psupplied parts and making some of their own. I think it is sad the way the Indian government bought Innoccenti and then forced API to stop making 'Lambretta'
Old 25th November 2009, 22:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful restoration Mitch.My dad used to own a Vijay Super till early 90s and it was my first ride.This brings back memories.
Old 25th November 2009, 23:04   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Innoccenti was purchased in 1975 by the De Tomaso group and had a go at making badged British Leyland cars until 1980 when Fiat purchased it. It was shut down in the early 1990s.

The funny thing about SIL buying the Lambretta range is that all the drawings were in Italian. That's probably why it took them three years to produce a single scooter!
Up until that point API had been doing a good job assembling Innoccenti psupplied parts and making some of their own. I think it is sad the way the Indian government bought Innoccenti and then forced API to stop making 'Lambretta'
Thanks for the information from the Italian Innocenti. Actually Mitch, API suffered from labour trouble since the late 1970's. It faced tough competition from Bajaj, Priya, Vijais of many hues as state government undertakings assembled the Vijai with kits from Scooters India Ltd. The quality of Lambrettas and later Lambys had deteriorated since the late 1960's when it was completely Indianised due to import restrictions.But as there was a long waiting list and only Bajaj Auto made Vespa scooters, API fluorished with the shoddy products it was manufacturing.The government had restricted production to 30,000 units per annum each for Bajaj and API. Price controls were in vogue. Each scooter was priced @Rs 3200 sinec 1960 till 1974. Sometime in 1975 Lambrettas were sold for Rs 4800 plus and Bajaj's for a similar amount. So it was but natural that the quality should deteriorate.We owned three Lambrettas (1967,1971 and 1975 models). The 1975 model was the worst and the 1967 the best.Though we had paid Rs 4.8K for the 1975 model its paintwork, bodyline and mechanicals were not upto the mark.
With the competition hotting up in the 1970's and more so in the 1980's API due to labour trouble and lack of demand had to close down its Bhandup plant. They last made the Lamby Polo till sometime in 1985.
Old 26th November 2009, 01:59   #27
BHPian

It is my understanding that API had their licence revoked when SIL bought Innoccenti. They were no longer allowed to call their scooters 'Lambretta'. That is where the name Lamby came from.
Old 26th November 2009, 02:39   #28
BHPian

Back to the restoration. So now the painting is finished, time to put the scooter together.
You will notice I have used a chromed, alloy rear light unit, stainless stand, chrome racing rear mudguard (later to be changed to a stainless one!).
The paint is a metalflake with a lacquer top coat consisting of small metal flakes. A bit 'girlie' but I wanted something a bit different.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring a Lambretta (Vijay super) in the UK-p9270014.jpg  

Restoring a Lambretta (Vijay super) in the UK-p9270015.jpg  

Restoring a Lambretta (Vijay super) in the UK-p9290017.jpg  

Old 26th November 2009, 02:41   #29
BHPian

No, its not my dog! He was the paint expert!
Old 26th November 2009, 10:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, its not my dog! He was the paint expert!
We were just about to ask that .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks