Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2009, 22:29   #46
BHPian

...oh, and I added some sparkly, chromed engine cowls too.

The silencer is a 48mm chromed Clubman replica (made in India) which sounded great, however it did'nt last long before the internals fell out! Still sounded great though.
The polished chaincase wasn't quite right so I got a chromed one (Indian again).
A chromed kickstart adorns the engine.
I have since gone off chromed stuff because it doesn't last long. Stainless steel or powder coating is better.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring a Lambretta (Vijay super) in the UK-22022008111.jpg  

Old 2nd December 2009, 21:33   #47
BHPian

Here's a photo of my SX 150 alongside the Vijay during restoration. The SX was imported from Italy and is awaiting a full makeover to the original paint colour.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring a Lambretta (Vijay super) in the UK-27122007052.jpg  

Old 2nd December 2009, 21:43   #48
BHPian

Back to the restoration...

Here's a couple of pics showing the engine compartment and footboards.

You may notice part of the Innoccenti badge fitted to the rear of the frame loop behind the seat. I think the Vijay may have a SIL badge there but may be wrong?

The last picture shows the electronic flywheel fitted.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring a Lambretta (Vijay super) in the UK-22022008109.jpg  

Restoring a Lambretta (Vijay super) in the UK-23022008114.jpg  

Restoring a Lambretta (Vijay super) in the UK-22022008112.jpg  

Old 2nd December 2009, 21:49   #49
BANNED

BLING BLING BLING....

Jhakaaas restoration being done.

Mitch i am glued to this thread from the time the restoration started.

Original yet innovative.

Good stuff man.
Old 2nd December 2009, 22:00   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
No, that's the Importer I bought it from in Leeds.
Hi Mitch, Please do not hesitate if you need any thing from MUMBAI , do let me know.
Old 2nd December 2009, 22:01   #51
BHPian

Awesome job Mitch,

I'm sure you would not like to hide those beautiful looking floor strips with a rubber floor mat.
Old 3rd December 2009, 15:22   #52
BHPian

Iqbal, what sort of items?

Lambyman, you are right. For interest, the Spanish Lambretta manufacturers Serveta and Eibar seemed to favour replacing the floor strips with rubber mats.
Not for me though.

It is great that you guys are restoring the Series II machines. There are not that many of those in the UK but loads of Vijays.

The pre GP models - Series II, Series III, i.e. Li, TV, Special etc were adorned with chrome crash bars, florida bars, 3-in-1 backrests and mirrors during the 'Mod' era in the UK but the Series 4, GP (Vijay style) was known as a racer and was kept clean of such 'bling'. The only thing added was a sprint rack and if a backrest was needed, the 'flip flop' was used. Both can be seen on later pictures.

More pictures coming
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:42   #53
BHPian

This photo was taken late this year. It was a Vintage Transport Extravaganza and we turned up on our scooters. We did'nt enter them in the show but thought the scooters might be of interest.

You can see some of the 'Mod' adornments.
My Allwyn is there somewhere too!
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring a Lambretta (Vijay super) in the UK-p9130294.jpg  

Old 3rd December 2009, 16:59   #54
BHPian

Back to the resto...

I had a bit of artwork done on the headset. The 'Innocenti' logo was rubbed flat then lacquered. A lot of work went into this.

The handlebars fitted with 'Sundance' grips. Very 1980s!
You can see a better picture of the hydraulic front brake cylinder.

The scooter is pretty much finished now.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring a Lambretta (Vijay super) in the UK-07112007030.jpg  

Restoring a Lambretta (Vijay super) in the UK-17022008098.jpg  

Old 4th December 2009, 09:50   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You may notice part of the Innoccenti badge fitted to the rear of the frame loop behind the seat. I think the Vijay may have a SIL badge there but may be wrong?
Nope they never came with such a badge AFAIK. They only had the badges on the front, legshield and horncast with Vijai Super and S logo respectively.

Also one more thing- if you havent retained the "Allwyn Pushpak" badge and the side trims on your Allwyn, I'd like to have them
Old 4th December 2009, 15:10   #56
BHPian

Stanher,
The Allwyn has been restored as exactly that - an Allwyn!
However, I have painted it in a themed colour scheme which I will show you later. I would like to get hold of the 'ladies footrest' and the side bar which most Indian scooters had. None of these reach the UK when the scooters are shipped.
Old 4th December 2009, 23:39   #57
Senior - BHPian

Badge looks great and stunning colour combination on the handle, you have a great taste for these scooters. I love scooters but I feel I am way behind your taste. You have inspired me to take up a resto of similar kind and if luck favours.
Old 5th December 2009, 21:35   #58
BHPian

Hi Mitch, I like the way the scoot is turning out! Would like to seek your advice on one thing. A friend and me were planning to convert a Vijai Super into a "hot-rodded scoot". We planned to use wider wheels and a 200cc motor. Our mech tells us that we'll need to modify our gear ratios to suit the engine. How does one decide the gear ratios? What setup would you recommend for a hot-rod scoot?
Old 6th December 2009, 10:01   #59
Senior - BHPian

Mitch, Hats off to you for the restoration and the pictures. I have an early series II with me, awaiting restoration for more than a year now. Been traveling and never got around to the task.

You are a source of inspiration. I have a 1965 vespa as well, since it is mostly in good condition, it will have to wait until the Lamby gets ready. Hope you keep hanging around here, will have loads of questions for you when I start my restoration.
Old 7th December 2009, 02:24   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Hi Mitch, I like the way the scoot is turning out! Would like to seek your advice on one thing. A friend and me were planning to convert a Vijai Super into a "hot-rodded scoot". We planned to use wider wheels and a 200cc motor. Our mech tells us that we'll need to modify our gear ratios to suit the engine. How does one decide the gear ratios? What setup would you recommend for a hot-rod scoot?
The gearing depends on what you do to the engine and how you intend to ride it. Over here, the engines are tuned to rev much higher than standard and the Li 150 box is considered to be the best, however the cost to have the engine component parts imported will be astronomic, if indeed it is possible at all.
Personally I would get a SIL 200cc engine - SIL still make them (or did until recently). Their most recent engine is stage 4 tuned. Get a Jetex 22 mm carb reamed out to 26mm and you will have a scooter with performance that is adequate for Indian roads.

Over here you can get wider tyres which fit on standard rims. Some people fit taller tyres and grind off the bump stop.

When you say 'hot rod', do you mean like the 'Wacky Races' type?
I will find a couple of pictures of cut down Lambrettas which are fairly popular over here, but I have to admit I don't like the idea of cutting frames up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks