Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2012, 20:53   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!

Well some more progress although not happening at the pace at which I'd like it to! :(

The boot unfortunately has become a kind of storeroom for some 'foreign' objects!!

The bumpers and sills have been cleaned up and are ready to be worked on now.

Also arrived this week in the post- the bootlid stay/holder, via ebay UK!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0451001.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0452.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0453.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0454.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0455.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0456.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0457.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 25th February 2012 at 20:55.
Old 11th March 2012, 15:24   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

Updates again! The denting work is now picking up speed!

The body-to-chassis mounts have been fitted and the gaps adjusted as well. The bonnet gap adjustment/alignment is done too, they needed the other bonnet catch (RH) for shutting the bonnet on the other side the other day, but unfortunately couldnt go to give it until today.

The bumpers have also been tinkered as have the side sills. They were being fitted today to check for straightness etc. and will be taken off to be zinc-primer coated on the inside and refitted finally.

PS: That cream/green car in the shed on the left in one of the pics. looks familiar. Anyone know what car that is?

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-photo0024.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-photo0025.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-photo0028.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-photo026.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-photo0017.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-photo017.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-photo021.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-photo019.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-photo020.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0508.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0509.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0510.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0511001.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0512001.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0513001.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0516.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0517.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0518.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0519.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0521.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0522001.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0523001.jpg
Old 11th March 2012, 17:22   #378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
PS: That cream/green car in the shed on the left in one of the pics. looks familiar. Anyone know what car that is?
Is this the car in question?

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-000.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2012, 22:23   #379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Is this the car in question?
Just thought of employing harit's trick here...and it worked! 1 Response!

OT: This car's finally done and about to leave the garage (been there in Nov. 2010! )
Old 17th March 2012, 22:43   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

A brief update again!

Front and rear bumpers fitted to check for alignment etc. and will be taken off to be finally worked on (some more tinkering needs to be done on the bottom of the straight rear piece) and refitted.

Bonnet catches also fitted although the one on the right appear s a bit crooked, which I had pointed out.

He said he was aware of it and would attend to it.

Next to be worked on after the body would be the roof.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0534.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0535.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0536.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0537.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0538.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0539.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0541001.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0544.jpg
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 21:15   #381
Senior - BHPian

Found this at a local store and imported by Funskool India . Something of your liking

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-photo.jpg  

kasli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 21:31   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Found this at a local store and imported by Funskool India . Something of your liking

Cheers
Great Goin Anirudh, awaiting to see your build and finished pictures. I too have bought one, but will do her once I finish my Bantam BRC40 :P.
Old 25th December 2012, 09:23   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers
Hahaa, nice to see this kit making it to TBHP, was thinking of posting some pics of the same. Stanher would definitely like it.

BTW you planning to build it Kasli sa'ab ?

Here's a quick pic of how it looks in its bare basic form.
Attached Thumbnails
Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-071220121104.jpg  

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-071220121105.jpg  

Old 25th December 2012, 09:30   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post

Hahaa, nice to see this kit making it to TBHP, was thinking of posting some pics of the same. Stanher would definitely like it.

BTW you planning to build it Kasli sa'ab ?

Well that's my plan for now . I know it suits to be placed here
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 10:32   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post

I do intend to buy one of these, only when I am free enough as I wouldnt really have the time/patience to built it up otherwise! Although it would be certainly easier than rebuilding a real Herald!

Last edited by Stanher : 25th December 2012 at 10:43.
Old 3rd April 2013, 03:38   #386
Senior - BHPian

How are we progressing with the restoration, Mr. Shyam ?
Old 20th January 2014, 17:33   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
How are we progressing with the restoration, Mr. Shyam ?
Mr.Shyam opened the restoration and this thread exactly 4 years 1 month back and failed to complete the restoration.
After a long wait Jai3033 seeked my help to first locate the car in Hyderabad which went missing out his radar. Finally the car was spotted in December 2013 hidden among other sheep in a rust bucket condition by me.
Thus began the humungous efforts to recover the car (no less than an Indiana Jones expedition) and its parts from Veerabramham Garage in Tadbund,who turned out to be a thorn in the flesh to release the car and its parts (perhaps under instructions).
There are still spare parts held by the previous restorer like Spare wheel , Headlight Rings , Air Filter which needs to reach me to complete the restoration.
Finally the Herald was released from the clutches and shackles it was in for the last 4 years and reached my hands on 20th December 2013...Thats exactly 4 years from its start date of renaissance (soon to die again) and go into crucifixion.

The car reached me in a very dilapidated state, completely spoilt by rust and nature. Body line was out of shape, rust pockets everywhere, honestly I didn't know where to begin. I suggested Jai3033 to get rid of the car, but soon i decided to restore this for pure friendship i had with Jai3033 and how he helped with my fiats when i was in Chennai...a pure Team Bhpian camaraderie.

Now after a month, that i started the restoration, the first phase of re-denting and tinkering was completed in 10 days and next 3 weeks saw an tedious paint job executed and today the paint job is completed to a 100% level of satisfaction.
While the painting was being done, I ensured that all the chrome parts were nickled to pristine new condition, which will give the car a new refreshing look.

Currently car is not mechanically done and it is being towed everywhere !!!!

Over the next 3 weeks the car moves to mechanicals , electricals, upholstery and finally a Fitness certification phases, after which it will be finally shipped to Chennai, much to the joy of Jai3033, who will see the car after 4+ years in a restored condition.

Though i have taken loads of photos from a small inconsistency to a huge gaffe in the previous restoration process, I dont believe in posting them here as they are strictly between me and Jai3033.
Hence I m posting a single photograph in which shape the Herald was taken over by me and few photos of completed job of painting.
More updates during the next phases will be posted upon completion.
Attached Thumbnails
Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-picture-002.jpg  

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-picture-001.jpg  

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-picture-003.jpg  

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-picture-005.jpg  

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-picture-006.jpg  

Last edited by hillram : 20th January 2014 at 17:46.
hillram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 22:20   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Mr.Shyam opened the restoration and this thread exactly 4 years 1 month back and failed to complete the restoration.
After a long wait Jai3033 seeked my help to first locate the car in Hyderabad which went missing out his radar.
Thus began the humungous efforts to recover the car (no less than an Indiana Jones expedition) and its parts from Veerabramham Garage in Tadbund,who turned out to be a thorn in the flesh to release the car and its parts (perhaps under instructions).
There are still spare parts held by the previous restorer like Spare wheel , Headlight Rings , Air Filter which needs to reach me to complete the restoration.
The car reached me in a very dilapidated state, completely spoilt by rust and nature.
Currently car is not mechanically done
hillram a.k.a Indiana Jones, well, no doubt it must feel great to be back to your old self (plus in a new incarnation) after the brief 'besmirching' of your online popularity you had suffered in another part of this forum not too long ago, and you'd remember why..but Iam not digressing into that here!
Now about your above post about your good samaritan cum Indiana Jones expedition, I couldn't care less about what you had to say about me as frankly I'm not at all surprised to find such comments coming from you so I don't care to owe you an explanation (or what you're wont to call 'babbles'), but for the benefit of the others and jaikumar (jai3033), the car owner, some obscured facts need to be brought to light, just as the Herald was, Indiana Jones' way:

1. The restoration had failed to be completed simply because of lack of supply of funds from the owner's end (I am not sure of the exact reasons), which the garage guys had asked for to complete the pending bodywork. Jai had initially conveyed to me that he'd decided to proceed with further work such as painting and upholstery in Chennai once the tinkering/patchwork was complete here, the mechanical work too being close to completion by then. With which I was in agreement.Then as the tinkering was coming to a close, the tinker gave an estimate for the remaining amount for the bodywork pending, which I'd notified jai about. However, there was a long silence from his end due to reasons I am not sure of- I had tried on a number of occasions to reach him on his mobile as well as by email to which I received no response. The garage guys, also waiting for further instructions, put the car aside (where it was always under covered parking)
Finally they began to get impatient and started pestering me ad nauseum to get the car put of their premises mainly as it was causing space constraints. I had even given jai's number to them and they told me there was never any response when they tried either. I finally made one more attempt by emailing jai to which he finally responded, informing me of hillram agreeing to collect the car and send it to Madras. For which I had agreed and readily provided the garage address and contact number for jai's and hillram's convenience.

2. As per the garage owner, he had initially wanted to release the car only in my presence, as he'd considered me responsible for it all this while, though I'd told him clearly it was not possible for me to come there on a weekday when I was at work. He finally relented when I told him that I had the owner's consent to proceed. Could you, hillram, care to elaborate on what you meant by 'under instructions' in this case?

3. The missing parts you mentioned were recovered by me after searching, by which time I was told that the car had already left from the garage, and in fact it was I who'd informed jai about them as soon as i'd found them- why would I do that at all if I had intended to 'hold them up'?? If you care to take the call, you can send for these to be collected any time to complete your brave 'restoration'! Otherwise I am prepared to (only on jai's request) send them through someone to the car's current location by auto.
I end my response here.
Stanher is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 23:16   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Otherwise I am prepared to (only on jai's request) send them through someone to the car's current location by auto.
I end my response here.
Do return the parts that you are holding immediately as the restoration needs to be completed and the Herald needs to be sent to Jai.That's the most important thing now.
Jai will text you the address where the car parts need to be sent.

Last edited by hillram : 20th January 2014 at 23:21.
Old 30th April 2014, 14:18   #390
Senior - BHPian

What's the status on the car gentlemen?
IndrojitSircar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed